CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Exhaust idea

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 12:43 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
2004 CLK 500
Exhaust idea

Hello guys . So I went from:
1. no resonator and no muffler
2.To cherry bomb muffler
3.and now I have a magnaflow straight through muffler dual in dual out with the secondary resonator deleted .
option 1 sounded amazing but lots of drone . Option 2 sounded ok but the drone was still way to much . Option 3 was much quitter even with the removal of the secondary cats . But the magnaflow muffler has a deep sound which I am trying to get away from didn't really realize it until I installed it . What I am looking for is a muffler that will bring out more of the raspy sound like an amg muffler would . obviously I know it wont sound the same but I just want something that quiets the low deep tone . kind of this video . Iw ould appreciate it . Also does anyone know what kind of muffler is on say a 63 amg . Is it a chambered design like flowmaster?

Old 08-03-2017, 01:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 CLK500
You are going to need a louder stereo! :-)
Old 08-03-2017, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
I am not sure, but would think the C63 has a chambered/reflective device somewhere in the exhaust. It could be the mufflers of the resonators. That crackling is due to engineered interference of the natural sound.

I have the piping to eliminate the dual in/out muffler on my car. Just need it for some testing I'm doing right now. I will just straight pipe it first; if it is too loud, I will replace the straight pipe with a couple more Vibrant resonators. They have a more neutral sound and do not enhance/incorporate low frequency rumble like the magnaflows, and they are straight through.

I already have a fair amount of crackle in cold start when I rev it as in the video you posted. The car is tuned and the exhaust uses only straight through components. For me, that interference I spoke of is probably due more to the open exhaust and the x-pipe flow.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
You are going to need a louder stereo! :-)
If you get that exhaust "right", you will rarely use the stereo.....
Old 08-03-2017, 04:49 PM

2004 CLK 500
Well I upgraded my stereo already so I need to overcome it lol . No my issue is I use the car for the weekend and my wife hates the loud low tone sound . So I figured I would get a new muffler to tone it tone it down . Then I would add exhaust cutouts so when I want to I can get the straight pipe sound . Does anyone here have a chambered exhaust clip would love to hear it .
Old 08-03-2017, 04:52 PM

2004 CLK 500
btw found this comparison . what do you gusy think of the flow master ?

http://www.autoanything.com/articles...-the-best.aspx

Last edited by irokdastar; 08-03-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think the Magnaflow sounds more like what I thought you were after; it is closer to the C63 video you posted..... IMO

The difference you may be hearing in your current setup and the mag/flow comparison may be related more to the other components in your exhaust or the "openness" of the Mustang used in the video comparison.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 CLK500
Originally Posted by irokdastar
Well I upgraded my stereo already so I need to overcome it lol .
I know, I was just making a joke because of your cool new sounds.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You might be able to get closer to the Magnaflow sound in the video if you put the resonator/s (depending on how you're now configured) back into the system. They would reduce some of the amplitude of the frequencies that the Magnaflow enhances. So it will not sound as "muscle car".
Old 08-10-2017, 01:31 PM

2004 CLK 500
Well I am trying to get away from the magnaflow low deep sound . the clip I uploaded is wrong because its for there straight through muffler . In any case I came up with this idea . I would have an x pipe where the 2nd cats where and run dual pipe to the back . put my exhaust cutouts there then weld the secondary cats before the magnaflow muffler . Do you guys think it will lower the low tone sound ? Or should I just got with a whole new muffler ? Thanks
Old 08-10-2017, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

From your original post I gathered that you have a Magnaflow dual in/out. That is probably a straight-through muffler and it may have the cross-over (x-pipe) configuration of the tubing in the muffler already.

Are you already running a true dual setup, or are you adding this in your planned configuration? I can't imagine how you would be using a dual in/out without having a dual setup already.

Where is the Magnaflow dual in/out located now? If it is installed in the channel, you will get more of that rumble transmitted into the cabin.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:40 AM

2004 CLK 500
Originally Posted by Fatz
From your original post I gathered that you have a Magnaflow dual in/out. That is probably a straight-through muffler and it may have the cross-over (x-pipe) configuration of the tubing in the muffler already.

Are you already running a true dual setup, or are you adding this in your planned configuration? I can't imagine how you would be using a dual in/out without having a dual setup already.

Where is the Magnaflow dual in/out located now? If it is installed in the channel, you will get more of that rumble transmitted into the cabin.
I do have the Magnaflow performance muffler dual in and dual out with the integrated x pipe . Yes i am running a true dual setup . and yes we installed it in the channel right under the passenger compartment . It just made it easier to install . I want to move it to the back now since i want to add exhaust cutouts so i can have a straight pipe when i want it and close it when i don't . The only issue i run into is how to mount the muffler in the back and run piping to the other side . I saw where people did the pipe for the passenger side right behind the rear bumper instead of going around the spare tire holder. but i am worried about melting the bumper . I was thinking to take the secondary cats i took off before and weld them right to the muffler to quite the drone down a bit . what do you think ? again i don't care if its low since i have the cutouts . what do you think ?
Old 08-11-2017, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just moving the muffler out of the channel will help with the level of sound in the cabin.

I have seen, and even experimented with, pipe routed across the rear of the car between the bumper and the trunk....... Not a good idea IMO. Sound was very bad. It sounded to me like a hen house..... with a fox nearby.

Using a muffler constructed like the magnaflow comarro muffler is the best option for going to a dual after the mid pipe. But you already have dual lines and it would be a waste to undo the true dual and you will have to, of course, replace some/most of the tubing rear of the channel for routing.

Top of mind possible solutions:

Option 1: keep the magnaflow dual in/out and ensure it is as far back as possible... as close to the differential as possible, leaving room for pipe bends.

Option 2: Replace the magnaflow dual in/out with two bottle resonators with a neutral tone. I only have experience with Vibrants. I have 2 at the front of the channel and they can't be heard. I'm sure there are straight through bottle resonators from other companies that have a neutral tone.

Option 3: Merge the pipes together with a "Y" pipe at the end of the channel, install cutout on backside of Y and then use a comarro type muffler. The muffler is installed where the OE muffler was and the pipe for the passenger side routes around the forward side of the trunk and then to the passenger tip.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:38 PM

2004 CLK 500
Just moving the muffler out of the channel will help with the level of sound in the cabin.

I have seen, and even experimented with, pipe routed across the rear of the car between the bumper and the trunk....... Not a good idea IMO. Sound was very bad. It sounded to me like a hen house..... with a fox nearby.

Using a muffler constructed like the magnaflow comarro muffler is the best option for going to a dual after the mid pipe. But you already have dual lines and it would be a waste to undo the true dual and you will have to, of course, replace some/most of the tubing rear of the channel for routing.

Top of mind possible solutions:

Option 1: keep the magnaflow dual in/out and ensure it is as far back as possible... as close to the differential as possible, leaving room for pipe bends.

Option 2: Replace the magnaflow dual in/out with two bottle resonators with a neutral tone. I only have experience with Vibrants. I have 2 at the front of the channel and they can't be heard. I'm sure there are straight through bottle resonators from other companies that have a neutral tone.

Option 3: Merge the pipes together with a "Y" pipe at the end of the channel, install cutout on backside of Y and then use a comarro type muffler. The muffler is installed where the OE muffler was and the pipe for the passenger side routes around the forward side of the trunk and then to the passenger tip.

I thought about the Camaro style but I don't want to loose my x pipe and dual setup . I think what I will do it have the shop install the muffler in the stock location but up right instead of horizontal and see if they can do a U bend and go around the spare tire . If not I think I would just get some header wrap and do it behind the bumper . I currently have it as far back as possible but its still right under the center console . also I cant add any resonators since I have the cutouts taking up a lot of real-estate .I am just waiting on new tips so I can go into the shop and see what can be done .
Old 08-12-2017, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Someone posted their install of the dogleg dual with the passenger pipe running from the muffler, between the spare tire budge and the bumper. They seemed to like it. I had done it prior to their post and really found it to be awful. Part of the issue has to do the unequal pipe lengths and getting close enough to 1/4 wavelength once you leave the muffler with the passenger side tubing.

Since you're waiting for your tips, you might search for bottle resonators with a diameter that will allow it to fit the passenger side. I considered doing it once but I can't locate the result list.

I don't know the dimensions on your cutout but you should be able to fit four 12 inch bottle resonators and an X-pipe in the channel; or 2 18 inch bottle resonators and an X-pipe. If the resonators are of the more neutral variety it should be quiet enough for passengers, with your cutout closed.

I'll look to hear your updates; just have interest in exhaust stuff.....
Old 08-14-2017, 12:16 PM

2004 CLK 500
Someone posted their install of the dogleg dual with the passenger pipe running from the muffler, between the spare tire budge and the bumper. They seemed to like it. I had done it prior to their post and really found it to be awful. Part of the issue has to do the unequal pipe lengths and getting close enough to 1/4 wavelength once you leave the muffler with the passenger side tubing.

Since you're waiting for your tips, you might search for bottle resonators with a diameter that will allow it to fit the passenger side. I considered doing it once but I can't locate the result list.

I don't know the dimensions on your cutout but you should be able to fit four 12 inch bottle resonators and an X-pipe in the channel; or 2 18 inch bottle resonators and an X-pipe. If the resonators are of the more neutral variety it should be quiet enough for passengers, with your cutout closed.

I'll look to hear your updates; just have interest in exhaust stuff.....
I will look into them . I called the muffler shop and they said if you really want to quite it down without adding the resonators they can weld the secondary cats back on after the cutout and it will do a better job than the resonators . I am just going to take everything to them and test it out . I got a questions . Do you think i should use a flex pipe at all?
Old 08-14-2017, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am not a fan of flex pipe; mainly because it will flex.
The problem I would be concerned about is it flexing for resons other than the exhaust flow itself, such as rough or bumpy road. For a track car or one that is mostly on roads like those in Florida (smooth and in good repair) I think they are ok. You wouldn't notice, or care, on the track. Smooth roads would not cause the bounce.

When I did configurations needing extra bends, I bought several different bend pieces and let the tech figure out how to connect the bends to get it routed the way I wanted.

If you decide to use it, you would need to of course, keep the length as short as possible in order to make the bend. I assume that is why you're considering it.

BUT, I've never tried to use any myself.

Regarding the secondary cats; I asume they are of the later variety and really resonators. Given you're going to have a cutout anyway, even if the secondaries are a little restrictive, it doesn't seem to me from your posts that it would concern you when the cutout is closed. I think those secondaries are also the prime eliminators of drone in the OE setup.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:10 PM

2004 CLK 500
I am not a fan of flex pipe; mainly because it will flex.
The problem I would be concerned about is it flexing for resons other than the exhaust flow itself, such as rough or bumpy road. For a track car or one that is mostly on roads like those in Florida (smooth and in good repair) I think they are ok. You wouldn't notice, or care, on the track. Smooth roads would not cause the bounce.

When I did configurations needing extra bends, I bought several different bend pieces and let the tech figure out how to connect the bends to get it routed the way I wanted.

If you decide to use it, you would need to of course, keep the length as short as possible in order to make the bend. I assume that is why you're considering it.

BUT, I've never tried to use any myself.

Regarding the secondary cats; I asume they are of the later variety and really resonators. Given you're going to have a cutout anyway, even if the secondaries are a little restrictive, it doesn't seem to me from your posts that it would concern you when the cutout is closed. I think those secondaries are also the prime eliminators of drone in the OE setup.
Yes your right the secondary cats are small and they seemed to be used to quite it down and emissions . Rather than something needed for the car ECU to use to run the car more efficiently . The rest of my parts should come in later on this week and I will update once I get everything installed. Thank you for your help