CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Headlight marks - See Photo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 11:40 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 CLK350 COUPE AMG SPORT
Headlight marks - See Photo

Hello all!

This is the passenger's side headlight. 2009 CLK350.

What would have caused this? Has anyone seen this before? It's not really noticeable to others, but it bugs me!

I am assuming I'll have to replace the headlight.
The light output is identical to the other light.

Any ideas/comments welcomed!

Thanks!

blackduc1
Attached Thumbnails Headlight marks - See Photo-headlight.jpg  
Old 09-21-2017, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
Is the discoloration on the outside of the lens? If it is inside, it is likely caused by moisture inside the headlight assembly. There was a post quite awhile ago by someone who successfully dismantled the headlight and baked it to remove the moisture. I think they were addressing a different issue but that procedure might be helpful if the discoloration is inside.

If it is outside, you could try a clear plastic cleaner/restorer. I have used a cleaner from Meguiars (not the polish) to effectively keep the lens clear. It takes some elbow grease but I was very pleased with the result. I sprayed a little on the lens and rubbed it quite hard with a microfiber cloth draped over a rubber sanding block. With the discoloration in those grooves you may have to use a thick wooden toothpick or the edge of a thin plastic scrapper or putty knife (plastic). Just make sure you cover the tool with a microfiber cloth.
The following users liked this post:
blackduc1 (09-21-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 02:14 PM

The discoloration is on the inside of the lens on the chrome plated(?) plastic reflector. It looks like what you are describing as moisture inside the headlight and it removed some of the plating.

I took the lenses off of my W-210 E320 Sedan, and it was difficult. The plastic mounting bits tend to be very brittle and If you lose one of the tabs on reassembly, you won't have an even seal all the way around the lens.

I'm going to look for the thread you mention and see what I can find out. It's not noticeable unless you are looking for it...or as my wife says; It's not noticeable to 'normal' people... lol!

I have a rare Saturday to myself, so I am planning a car day to give my new girl and good wash, clay bar, etc., so I'll take a closer look at the light and see what my options are.

Thank you Fatz!

blackduc1
Old 09-21-2017, 11:16 PM

Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
20' RCF, 18' NX, 09' E350, 07' Solara, 05' STi, 01' Ranger
Arrow

As it sits now it won't affect output of light. It does cut down on stray light from the reflector housing but right now it's just at the "ugly" point. You could purchase a used headlight on eBay and swap the piece. Our headlights are super easy to bake and pull apart. I did it 3-4 times when we had our CLK for when I did a projector retrofit and baked/painted the headlights black. Our w211 was just as easy as well.

You have to be extremely careful not to touch the chrome on headlights. It comes off way too easy. To the point that anytime I bake headlights the reflector/chrome pieces immediately go into a bag so that no dust or crap can get on them. I made the mistake once of trying to clean a small water spot off the chrome and it wiped off the chrome completely. Only wear nitric/latex gloves and never handle with bare hands because the oils from your fingers will get on them.

You are probably getting moisture in the headlight and then when the headlight is on it's baking them which is causing the chrome to lift/peel. Give it more time and more will eventually chip/peel...lol
Have you noticed your headlight being foggy/hazy after a rainy day or humid day?

-Nigel
The following users liked this post:
blackduc1 (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by NewShockerGuy
As it sits now it won't affect output of light. It does cut down on stray light from the reflector housing but right now it's just at the "ugly" point. You could purchase a used headlight on eBay and swap the piece. Our headlights are super easy to bake and pull apart. I did it 3-4 times when we had our CLK for when I did a projector retrofit and baked/painted the headlights black. Our w211 was just as easy as well.

You have to be extremely careful not to touch the chrome on headlights. It comes off way too easy. To the point that anytime I bake headlights the reflector/chrome pieces immediately go into a bag so that no dust or crap can get on them. I made the mistake once of trying to clean a small water spot off the chrome and it wiped off the chrome completely. Only wear nitric/latex gloves and never handle with bare hands because the oils from your fingers will get on them.

You are probably getting moisture in the headlight and then when the headlight is on it's baking them which is causing the chrome to lift/peel. Give it more time and more will eventually chip/peel...lol
Have you noticed your headlight being foggy/hazy after a rainy day or humid day?

-Nigel
Nigel,

Thanks for the explanation and warnings! I've been told about the chrome coming off very easily, and I'm one of those guys that would have tried to 'polish' it up before putting back together...I would have ruined a light!

I haven't noticed condensation, but I haven't had the car that long. I'm going to get into it on Saturday and evaluate my options.
Appreciate the advice and direction!

Best,

Rick