CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK 500 '03 - 65k miles > Duped?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 500
Exclamation CLK 500 '03 - 65k miles > Duped?

hey there. hoping to get some advice. first, i'll admit it, i'm a gal who brought her car to the dealership in my area. first mistake. second, third & fourth mistakes going back over and over and over again for 3 years for the exact same issue.

three years ago my car got broken into. the ignition switch was out of its compartment. the dealership put it back in and didn't replace it out.

a short while later, my cluster panel stopped showing anything. no speed, no tank, no mileage, etc.

i have brought the car in no less than 6 times for this issue over the last 3 years. to add insult to injury, they even wrecked the whole left side of my car, making it a carfax nightmare.

they have recently had me replace the cluster. picked up the car $4k later. electrical not working on radio. i was told it was a radio antenna issue which required a new $1200 part. i left. next day, started up the car & no cluster panel display and of course no electrical.

bring the car in again. told to replace the cam. picked up the car and tried to reset the seat but the electrical didn't work. i was told the battery had run itself too low and needed to recharge itself so that's why the electrical wasn't working. i left. next day, same issue AND no cluster panel.

i brought the car back. now they say it's the IMS. if it is the ignition switch then why did i get a cluster, a cam and 3 years of lies and torture. i really could use some advice. thanks!!
Old 02-14-2019, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
Originally Posted by dfederico75
hey there. hoping to get some advice. first, i'll admit it, i'm a gal who brought her car to the dealership in my area. first mistake. second, third & fourth mistakes going back over and over and over again for 3 years for the exact same issue.

three years ago my car got broken into. the ignition switch was out of its compartment. the dealership put it back in and didn't replace it out.

a short while later, my cluster panel stopped showing anything. no speed, no tank, no mileage, etc.

i have brought the car in no less than 6 times for this issue over the last 3 years. to add insult to injury, they even wrecked the whole left side of my car, making it a carfax nightmare.

they have recently had me replace the cluster. picked up the car $4k later. electrical not working on radio. i was told it was a radio antenna issue which required a new $1200 part. i left. next day, started up the car & no cluster panel display and of course no electrical.

bring the car in again. told to replace the cam. picked up the car and tried to reset the seat but the electrical didn't work. i was told the battery had run itself too low and needed to recharge itself so that's why the electrical wasn't working. i left. next day, same issue AND no cluster panel.

i brought the car back. now they say it's the IMS. if it is the ignition switch then why did i get a cluster, a cam and 3 years of lies and torture. i really could use some advice. thanks!!
I would call corporate. Also if there is another dealer not owned by the same people I would go talk to them. If you are near a eurocharged go see them.
The following users liked this post:
dfederico75 (02-15-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
Ditto the reply from Insame1. You should be talking to the manager/s at the dealership and letting them know that your next step is to contact and complain vigorously to the dealership/MB corporate. You should remind them that seldom are there multiple simultaneous failures and that they have cost you many thousands due to their incompetence.

You should also find an independent service shop. Maybe someone on the forum in your area can give you some suggestions.

The following 2 users liked this post by Fatz:
dfederico75 (02-15-2019), rwolak (02-16-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 10:11 AM

clk 500
Thank you two so very much!!! I am definitely going to do as you suggest, and i'll try to find an independent service shop nearby as well!!! i'll keep you posted!
Old 02-15-2019, 01:56 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,000 Likes on 869 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Yes, this all sounds like an EIS (ignition switch) problem in the first place. Before going to an indy, I'd contact MB corporate If you are in the USA (please update your forum profile with your location!) go to the website and get a phone number for customer service, or send them an email. Also, if you have not yet received a satisfaction survey from the dealer (again USA -only advice), then contact the service manage and make it abundantly clear that you will give them dead-zero unacceptable marks unless they fix these problems now, free of charge to you.
dfederico75 (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 03:10 PM

clk 500
thank you ever so much! i have written out the plan and now i will execute. fingers crossed!!
Old 02-15-2019, 03:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
W164
Might be worth spending a couple hundred on a consultation with a lawyer that is experienced in such issues. Many states have laws about repairs that were not correctly made. Most repair places pretend no such thing exists, but in fact there are very specific rules to protect car owners.
dfederico75 (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 07:43 PM

clk 500
I was thinking the same thing! As soon as i know a bit more about the position the dealership is taking, i'm going to contact corporate and perhaps pay an expert to evaluate everything if i don't like what i hear. although, i'm a bit confused about what i should be asking for ... my money back for all the incompetency and unneeded parts... UGH! there are so many honest and competent and credible shops and i got the crappy one ... LOL sorta
Old 02-15-2019, 10:22 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
I think I'd start with the service manager and the dealership. As for what to ask for, I'd ask for refund of the price of all work done except replacing the EIS (assuming that actually fixes the problem). I might even go so far as to ask for them to reimburse your for depreciation for the body damage. Of course that's asking for the best-case scenario, so be prepared to be offered less. BUt if it;s mush less, as in "we''l code the EIS, but that's it:, I'd escalate to MBUSA. Honestly, if were the service manager, after wrecking your car, I'd refund all your money with a huge apology, a couple of free A/B services and lifetime car washes.
dfederico75 (02-16-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 04:33 PM

clk 500
Thank you!!! You have been so helpful, Rodney!!! Now, thanks to you, I have a clear plan. I'll let you know how it goes ...
Old 02-16-2019, 09:15 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
I hope my advice helps. Please do keep us updated!