CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Question About Back Seat Access

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 11:12 PM

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
2010 E550 Coupe
Question About Back Seat Access

Hi All,

First time poster here, thinking about buying a 2008 CLK 550 coupe (the VIN is supposedly outside of the range of vehicles affected by the balance-shaft issue). I currently drive a Prius (yeah, I know, it's horrible). I previously had a Corvette, and after test driving the 550, I remembered how much I miss having a V8.

Anyhow, I have a 5-year-old kid. The CLK would be my daily driver, and I drop off and pick up my kid at school quite a bit. For those with kids, or even those without, is it difficult for someone to get into and out of the back seat? I really want this car, but I'm having some second thoughts due to the back seat access issue.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by nkx1; 02-24-2019 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:01 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 ml500, 2007 clk550

i have had my car for over a year, almost 2 now... i have 1 child, about to hit her 6th. doing great so far! no plans on getting a bigger car. she isn't able to pull the seat forward to gain access... but over all... had no issues with daily or road trip activities.

we go camping, hiking, and everything in the car. i need to dig up some pics... but for me and my daughter... the car works great.

i use the diagonal setup... where she sits behind the passenger side. ice cooler and snacks go behind me with the jackets.

i always use 200TW summer tires... but we go everywhere with it.

now, my only issue right now is bikes.... i have not found the OEM rack! it is killing me. but i think i found a generic option that i can modify to fit in the OEM mounting holes. once i get the rack... it will be perfrect! may be even a slim narrow cargo basket?

Last edited by faded1004; 02-25-2019 at 12:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Red, (05-21-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 12:39 AM

2010 E550 Coupe
Thanks for the response, faded. Great-looking 550, btw (I like the front splitter). It looks like your car has seen quite a bit of adventure, and it sound like you and your daughter have a great time with it.

Do you do a lot of dropping off (at school, sports, etc) where she needs to get in and out pretty quickly? If so, does it take forever to put the seat forward and back, etc?
Old 02-25-2019, 12:43 AM

2004 ml500, 2007 clk550

Originally Posted by nkx1
Thanks for the response, faded. Great-looking 550, btw (I like the front splitter). It looks like your car has seen quite a bit of adventure, and it sound like you and your daughter have a great time with it.

Do you do a lot of dropping off (at school, sports, etc) where she needs to get in and out pretty quickly? If so, does it take forever to put the seat forward and back, etc?
no it isn't difficult for us... so basically...

i recline the chair, let her go in. when she hit the middle of the rear seats... i put the driver seat back and i proceed to get in.... by the time i get belted she is already done and we are ready to ride! i keep the front pass seat close, because i keep fast food napkins in the pouch where she can grab them when she needs. kinda sticking out so she can grab it.

getting out:

i unbelt her first. then i unbelt, and when she is out of the chair, i am out and moving the driver chair forward for her to come out. we got a good system...

on a side note... i did start to have difficulty with the seat release... so i took apart the plastic and greased all the gears and pull tabs. and it made the release smooth again.

if you want, i can get some pics of how i setup the interior and the trunk... i have a trunk organizer that helps me alot.

i keep my car pretty clear as much as possible. so that rear seat is where she throws her jacket and backpack before getting into the seat.

although we don't do sports... we do go on alot of road trips and outdoor activities. i try to hit atleast 2 of every month to go out for a weekend trip.

attached picture is when we was about 5 and half. big for her age.

on longer trips, i like to have her take off her shoes... so the seat behind the driver, is usually clear for her to put on and take off shoes area. if that makes sense. also, she has alreday broken off the rear ash tray facia cover. which doesn't really bother me too much.

Last edited by faded1004; 02-25-2019 at 12:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Red, (05-21-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 01:12 AM

2010 E550 Coupe
Wow, thanks for going above and beyond to respond to my question! It looks like your system works pretty well just using the driver's door. I'm not sure if that would work perfectly for me, since my guy would probably have to get out on the passenger side for school drop off/ pick up. I walk him in to school now, but starting next year or so, I'll probably drop him off in the normal school drop-off line. The school has admins helping out with drop off/ pick up, and they are pretty insistent that people go quickly. I'm not sure my little guy could get in and out of a coupe very quickly in that scenario. I guess I could continue walking him in next year and beyond, but over the course of a school year, that's probably hours of time spent doing something effectively unnecessary.

I think I definitely should have paid more attention to the rear seat access when I looked at the car to see what might work for me. Unfortunately I was focused more on the car's condition and identifying potential flaws (including getting a PPI, etc.).
Old 02-25-2019, 01:20 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
2004 CLK 500
I had a few convertibles and the CLK is the only one i can get 4 adults in comfortably . For the kids its not a problem . Even with a booster seat . In the summer i take my 8 and 5 year old in the back seat and no issues . IF your getting a CLK do yourself a favor and get a convertible you will enjoy it more .
Old 02-26-2019, 09:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2005 CLK500 Cabriolet
+1 on the drop top.

And for future planning, my teen daughters are able to fit in the rear, so the whole family can go when interested. Mind you my wife and I are on the shorter end (both under 5'8, as are the girls).
Old 02-26-2019, 09:51 AM

2004 ml500, 2007 clk550
Originally Posted by nkx1
Wow, thanks for going above and beyond to respond to my question! It looks like your system works pretty well just using the driver's door. I'm not sure if that would work perfectly for me, since my guy would probably have to get out on the passenger side for school drop off/ pick up. I walk him in to school now, but starting next year or so, I'll probably drop him off in the normal school drop-off line. The school has admins helping out with drop off/ pick up, and they are pretty insistent that people go quickly. I'm not sure my little guy could get in and out of a coupe very quickly in that scenario. I guess I could continue walking him in next year and beyond, but over the course of a school year, that's probably hours of time spent doing something effectively unnecessary.
i do use the passenger side often also. i still unbuckle the main and daughter unbuckles the easy ones of the seat while i walk around. i use this method also in really busy street parking senerio. loading in, i just have her go in first, while i walk around, she is already buckled in and ready for me to drive away.

also, i am in the boat too... shorter then 5'7" for both parents. but i recline heavy for road trips... lol

in the case of don't get out but still use passenger door... you can easily unbuckle and move the pass chair forward. the teacher can open door and kid pops out. i think it can still work for you. my school has separate drop off for different grades, so we aren't as rushed.

Originally Posted by mcgsxrclk500
+1 on the drop top.

And for future planning, my teen daughters are able to fit in the rear, so the whole family can go when interested. Mind you my wife and I are on the shorter end (both under 5'8, as are the girls).
yes, i would have gone convertible also... but i love me some track time... and roll cage is a no go for my daily driving. lol

also, both of us parents are under 5'8", abiet i recline backward heavy... lol

Last edited by faded1004; 02-26-2019 at 09:57 AM.