CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Need a new subwoofer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 03:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 500
Originally Posted by Beachlean
2009 clk 350 with HK audio. Subwoofer was making a terrible noise and then stopped all together. I pulled it and it is ohming out infinite resistance. I have seen people repair them but I really have no interest in rebuilding it. Is there a direct fit replacement? I know very very little about audio so I get this may be a stupid question. Just hoping to spend a few hundred to drop in a better speaker rather than buy a used factory speaker.

I know there are max watts, rms and ohms to consider but I don’t know what the factory stats on the speaker are. Part number is a2098201902 but that has yielded me nothing in terms of a quick drop in replacement
Oh my Gosh I had the exactly same issue here!
I have a Clk500 2006
but I’m not sure if i should used the 2ohm or 4ohm kicker
Also, do I need any extra cables to run through?
and how do you take off the stock rear sub, I tried so hard but it doesn’t seems to come out without cutting the cover piece
thank you so much
i have been looking answers for this for a really long time and finally some people had the same topics here!
Old 06-15-2019, 02:20 PM

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
2010 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by NotVerified
Oh my Gosh I had the exactly same issue here!
I have a Clk500 2006
but I’m not sure if i should used the 2ohm or 4ohm kicker
Also, do I need any extra cables to run through?
and how do you take off the stock rear sub, I tried so hard but it doesn’t seems to come out without cutting the cover piece
thank you so much
i have been looking answers for this for a really long time and finally some people had the same topics here!
The subwoofer is 2 ohm, I can at least provide that information for you. Sorry, I'm not able to link to a source, but I have previously looked it up and am certain.

I was also unsuccessful at removing the stock subwoofer enclosure from the rear deck. I was able to free the 3 tabs and move the plastic around, but I couldn't quite figure out the best way to get the whole thing out. I was short on time, so I just put it back for now.

I would also greatly appreciate any pointers removing the rear subwoofer.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:22 PM

CLK 500
Originally Posted by nkx1
The subwoofer is 2 ohm, I can at least provide that information for you. Sorry, I'm not able to link to a source, but I have previously looked it up and am certain.

I was also unsuccessful at removing the stock subwoofer enclosure from the rear deck. I was able to free the 3 tabs and move the plastic around, but I couldn't quite figure out the best way to get the whole thing out. I was short on time, so I just put it back for now.

I would also greatly appreciate any pointers removing the rear subwoofer.
I was actually thinking just put the speaker on top the rear deck I don’t actually care if it goes into the factory rear speak spot, I can just creat a wooden box and put it on the rear seat or something, as long as it works and give me some bass instead of the weird wobbling noise.
But I do have a question on if I can use a 10, 12, or 15 inch kicker with 2ohm and only 2ohms?
And also what is it on the rear passenger side? It’s sure not a speaker, if its useless can I just take it out and put another speaker?
thank you so much for the reply!
Old 06-15-2019, 08:21 PM

2010 E550 Coupe
Not sure on what's under the passenger side rear grill. There might be a small speaker there just like what is by the subwoofer. Open it up and check it out! I would but am out of town for the rest of today.

I was thinking about using a 10 inch sub and hooking it up to the stock amp. However, I tried connecting a 10 inch sub this morning (no box, just seeing what it would do) and the result was bad. The 10 inch was really quiet. It might have been just the sub I was using, so I'm going to try a different one, but I'm not optimistic. The one I was using was a dual 4 ohm voice coil (connected in parallel for 2 ohm load), 88db sensitivity

Since I don't feel like installing an amp, if I can't get a larger sub to work, I'm just going try a replacement 8" sub.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:41 PM

CLK 500
[QUOTE=nkx1;7780049]The subwoofer is 2 ohm, I can at least provide that information for you. Sorry, I'm not able to link to a source, but I have previously looked it up and am certain.

So this means that i can only connect 2ohm sub to it right?
also what is the max watt on the factory amp?
do you think the car can withstand if I put an aftermarket amp and two sub in the trunk? It the battery going to blowup?
Old 01-19-2022, 04:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05 C55 AMG
What's the latest on this project? Did you end up going with an 8" sub?
Old 01-19-2022, 05:56 PM

2010 E550 Coupe
I got tired of wasting my time on it and just kept the factory 8-inch sub.