CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

New 08 CLK350 owner (CANADA)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 04:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E550 Coupe
New 08 CLK350 owner (CANADA)

Hey guys,

I recently pulled the trigger on a black on black 2008 CLK 350 with AMG sport package and AMG sport suspension. I checked the VIN and it is out of the range for the balance shaft issue.
I love the car, it has double the horses as my previous car (an 07 Mazda 6 4 cylinder), rides better and the interior is MILES better than the Mazda.

I have a couple of small issues (I was aware at time of buying, the car was a STEAL):
- Keyless-GO door handles don't work. The trunk does (key in my pocket will allow me to open the trunk just by pulling on the latch). Regular button lock/unlock works just fine.
- One of my two keys doesn't turn the ignition when in the slot. However, the start/stop button will start the car. Regular button lock/unlock works fine.
- One of the HID's low/high beam actuator seems to be stuck/broken. It doesn't move out of the way when switching to high beams on the driver's side.

Otherwise, the car is absolutely stunning. The paint seems to have been neglected (parked next to brush/tree, so paint is scratched all over. Thankfully it's nothing a good detail will not take care off). The interior is impeccable (definitely a commuter car as the other three seats look brand new.

Misc: How does the forum feel about muffler deletes on our CLK 350's? It's too quiet for my taste. I've read about x-pipes, resonator deletes etc, but I'm not trying to overhaul the exhaust, just get more volume out of it.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:48 PM

2014 E550 Coupe
Anybody?

I would like to add, with the cold weather now dawning in Vancouver, I'm noticing my heater doesn't work very well. Engine is up to temperature and such, but the air comes out lukewarm, nowhere near as hot as my last vehicle!
Old 09-25-2019, 12:12 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Strange - I swear I commented on this but my post is not there! Maybe I forgot to press the button. Anyhow...

Regarding your KeylessGo problems, if the car is locked, you can still open the trunk with the key in your pocket, right? If so, then you need to do some more testing. Do the lock buttons on the door handles work? Since the start/stop button works, I think the antennas are OK. Really, you need SDS to do a proper diagnosis of this. Oh, and the key that does not work in the ignition - that circuit in the key is not battery powered like KeylessGo and the fob buttons. The ignition switch inductively powers a coil in the key. That key's coil may have failed.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:46 PM

2014 E550 Coupe
Hi Rudeney,

Thanks for your reply! To expand a bit on the issue:
- I can open the trunk (when the car is LOCKED) by just pulling on the trunk latch.
- I CANNOT lock/unlock either of the two doors using the door handle buttons.

I know I will most likely have to replace the door handles (seems to be a common problem with Keyless-Go handles), but a slightly more pressing issue has reared its head.

When setting the climate control to max heat, the air comes out relatively warm but not hot. That said, I know the cabin air filter (under the hood) has to be replaced, so that is my next step at the moment. I'm worried the heater core might be gunked up...
Old 10-01-2019, 07:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
CURRENT:W209 2009 CLK350 Coupe FORMER: W245 2006 B200
Hi GodsLt,

When I got my CLK (a secondhand one), the driver side keylessGo also didn't work. The dealer had the handle replaced for me. Their reason was that sometimes water gets inside and ruins the electronics. The replacement for a handle ran about 600 dollars CAD
Where is your key when you try opening the door? In your bag or pocket? Try holding the key higher up or closer to the car. Sometimes the keyless go acts a little funny on my car.

How long have you been running the heater? It takes about 10 minutes or more for me before I really feel max heat.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:04 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
When you try unlocking and locking the doors via KeylessGo, observe the MFD on the instrument cluster. If you get any messages, then the handles/buttons are working and this is a key/antenna issue. If you get no messages, then bad handles/ buttons.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:20 PM

2014 E550 Coupe
Thanks to both of you for your responses!

I'm fairly certain the door handles are the ones not working now. When I followed Rudeneye's instructions, nothing popped up on the cluster. Everything else "Keyless-Go" works...The stop/start button and the trunk.

Also BRS25, I observed your 10-minute delay with the heat. We had a couple of chilly days here (sub 5*C) and the heated seats combined with the heater made a big difference.

Finally, I said "screw it" and got the muffler removed. I found the exact same AMG tips on e-bay for $45 (but single in, dual out, as opposed to dual in, dual out) so I got to keep the muffler + tips intact for the future owner. It sounds ANGRY. There's a noticeable drone at 2600RPM (enough to resonate inside the cabin) but anything above and below that sounds amazing. I was worried the girlfriend might not like it, but she said it sounded expensive and just like a lot of expensive cars we see around here.

I'll upload a video later today, it might help others with the 3.5L V6 have an idea of what it sounds like. It sounds like an R35 GTR...

Cheers.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 CLK 350
Originally Posted by GodsLt
Thanks to both of you for your responses!

I'm fairly certain the door handles are the ones not working now. When I followed Rudeneye's instructions, nothing popped up on the cluster. Everything else "Keyless-Go" works...The stop/start button and the trunk.

Also BRS25, I observed your 10-minute delay with the heat. We had a couple of chilly days here (sub 5*C) and the heated seats combined with the heater made a big difference.

Finally, I said "screw it" and got the muffler removed. I found the exact same AMG tips on e-bay for $45 (but single in, dual out, as opposed to dual in, dual out) so I got to keep the muffler + tips intact for the future owner. It sounds ANGRY. There's a noticeable drone at 2600RPM (enough to resonate inside the cabin) but anything above and below that sounds amazing. I was worried the girlfriend might not like it, but she said it sounded expensive and just like a lot of expensive cars we see around here.

I'll upload a video later today, it might help others with the 3.5L V6 have an idea of what it sounds like. It sounds like an R35 GTR...

Cheers.
How does all of that fly with emissions regulations there?
Old 01-14-2021, 05:05 PM

2014 E550 Coupe
I realized I never replied to this!

We don't have emissions here. The only caveat is if you anger the cops they could give you a VI ticket (similar to a fixit ticket in the US) for lacking a muffler.

I had the car mufflerless since the day I made the post until now, and I've had no issues with the law. The black on black sleek looks of the CLK allows it to glide under the radar.