CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Rotor bolt stuck, can’t remove

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 07:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 CLK 350
Rotor bolt stuck, can’t remove

I have another thread as well, but want some advice. Putting on new rotors and pads on the front of my CLK350.

So had time this weekend to start. Passenger side brakes including rotor... no real issues. Driver side... different story. Alignment set screw in the rotor is already stripped when I get to it. So... try the T30... nothing to grab. Off to the parts store for and extractor. Drill the center hole, insert extractor and begin to turn and it immediately snaps. So now I am in a mess.

Work for 3 hours trying to drill it out, can’t get the center drilled because of the extractor.

Now i I am trying to figure out what to do... can’t break the rotor off because of the set screw... have no torch to melt it loose or heat it out. No way to weld a bolt on to spin it out... will have to find some bits to be able to drill it out. Haven’t even thought about the shock/strut yet.

If if I can’t get it out, will have to find a garage who can and tow it there... any thoughts?

Old 09-16-2019, 10:10 AM

2008 CLK 350
All I can say so far is, never buy the Chrome Vanadium steel extractor sets... they are apparently not as strong as the bolt itself. Have to try to buy a bit today to drill it and the bolt out. Still can't get the rotor off with plenty of the bolt ground out (most of the head of it is gone) and some serious pounding. If I can at least get the rotor off, I'm somewhere.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:09 AM

2008 CLK 350
So I managed to get the rotor off. With the help of Cobalt drill bits, a chisel and a lot of patience, I was able to drill through the rotor around the bolt and stuck extractor. The extractor was eventually worn out of the remaining parts of the bolt (minimal, though they still stick up out of the hub). I was able to finally replace the rotor and finish the brake replacement, though it is a bit trickier now to insert the lug bolts as you have to keep the rotor aligned before putting the wheel back on. But it is all together..and rolling again. Strut is next on the list for replacement... of course it has to be the same wheel that I had this problem with that needs replaced...
Old 09-19-2019, 10:07 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,003 Likes on 871 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
I'm glad you got it taken care. Just for future reference, you might want to invest in one of these:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-3...Set/1000594839

And of course a good quality set of Torx bits.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:12 AM

2008 CLK 350
Originally Posted by Rudeney
I'm glad you got it taken care. Just for future reference, you might want to invest in one of these:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-3...Set/1000594839

And of course a good quality set of Torx bits.
Thanks for the suggestion. The impact tool may have proven useful but the Torx bits would not. The screw was rounded out inside completely, so even with a new torx bit (I had one) and gentle pressure, there was nothing to grab. Thus the work with the extractor immediately. Whomever put it in rounded it out completely.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:25 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Another trick there is to use the impact tool along with a flathead bit that barely does not fits in the rounded-out Torx hole. As you hammer on it, it will dig itself in and get a bite.

I know this retroactive advice doesn't help you, but maybe the next guy that comes along and searches the forum.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:34 PM

2008 CLK 350
Another trick there is to use the impact tool along with a flathead bit that barely does not fits in the rounded-out Torx hole. As you hammer on it, it will dig itself in and get a bite.

I know this retroactive advice doesn't help you, but maybe the next guy that comes along and searches the forum.
Good point... have tried to minimize my tool set so I don't have as many as I probably should, I usually take work of this level to the garage but the costs involved are way too high on a Mercedes, so doing a bit of this myself.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:24 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
"minimize my tool set" - I do not understand this term! I usually take any opportunity possible to increase my tool collection!
Old 09-20-2019, 12:51 PM

2008 CLK 350
"minimize my tool set" - I do not understand this term! I usually take any opportunity possible to increase my tool collection!
I completely understand that in my previous home. BUT... two condos later and now a very small single family home with minimal storage in the garage and NO basement... I live in SW Florida, I have little room for excess tools. If I can't use it often, don't want to buy it. Also, no room for a compressor (or I would have to ditch my golf clubs)... so manual it is for me for now... until I decide I am done with everyone else and just put a lift in and buy a classic car to spend all of my time working on, then the whole garage will be full of stuff.