CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

COMAND Retrofit Version Coding Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 02:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
CURRENT:W209 2009 CLK350 Coupe FORMER: W245 2006 B200
COMAND Retrofit Version Coding Help

Hello, so I am retrofitting a COMAND MCSII in place of my audio20 (on 2009 CLK350), and I am stuck on the final version coding. I believe all version coding does is display upcoming nav instructions on the instrument cluster, and to also give the "Change date/time" function to the COMAND unit instead of the instrument cluster, and also the ability to match the navigation's units to the one set in the instrument cluster (eg. imperial to metric).

I've asked mercedes dealerships in my area, but they are unwilling to do it, mostly because they have no idea or are afraid of breaking something else.

If someone has access to official retrofit instructions for the version coding that I can print/show to the dealership, that would be much appreciated!
The closest thing I've found on the forum is this:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...g-process.html

Last edited by BRS25; 11-05-2019 at 02:46 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:42 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,002 Likes on 870 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Yes, the coding is only needed to enable those instrument cluster functions. I never us the cluster display, so that would not bother me. There is a known bug in the COMAND firmware that will eventually cause it to misinterpret GPS clock data, so you might be better of leaving it uncoded.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
CURRENT:W209 2009 CLK350 Coupe FORMER: W245 2006 B200
Hey Rudeney, I have not heard about that glitch before. Are you referring to the 1-hr difference from incorrectly installing COMAND with a SYS button on older cars meant for the SERV button?

Or are you referring to this:
https://www.benzworld.org/threads/cl...ge-it.1683060/
Old 11-07-2019, 01:22 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,002 Likes on 870 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
The GPS satellite system does not transmit the actual date. Instead, it transmits the day of the week and a serial number for the week. That number rolls over every 1,024 weeks. GPS receiver devices that want to display the date need to have some logic in them to know how to handle that rollover. Unfortunately, MBZ's early COMAND systems have a flaw that prevents them from properly interpreting the date when the week sequence number rolls over. It causes various issues from displaying a totally wrong date, to having the clock be off by 5-30 minutes. MBZ does not offer updates to these older systems, so the solution is to have the instrument panel coded so that NAV is not present. That will then open up a menu where the clock can be set manually.
Old 09-30-2021, 02:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML350 4Matic and CLK 430
Version Coding Follow Up

Hi, I can definitely move this to a w208 space but give the coding discussion and knowledge here- wanted to give this a try.

I have a 2000 CLK w Comand 2.0 and still use the v60 phone (Bluetooth) and voice control.

Version coding was done when I added these two d2b modules, but I honestly think it was just to enable phone control on the instrument cluster. Not sure it really did anything else because those modules operated prior to version coding. I just didn’t have instrument cluster access. I also don’t know what system was actually coded? Like where do the inputs/settings reside?

Anyways - I had to replace Comand due to an annoying volume control issue. The replacement is a Comand also made for a w208, so it was like for like. All components still work and I still have all the instrument cluster accesses.

Do I need any version coding again? I don’t think it’ll do anything for me, but I did see these various bulletins that say you can experience issues if coding isn’t done properly. Again, I did coding when I had the former Comand unit. Did it hold/ remain? …

Do you version code a Comand unit, or are the settings stored elsewhere else, meaning that if I had coding done in the past, those settings are still in the system somewhere?

here’s some bulletins that state the importance of coding: note that in my COMAND photos below, the d2b ‘actuals’ remained the same between units. The ‘configs’ differ though.

I also see the important NOTICE in the below bulletin, which makes me wonder that if I still have actuals the same, all is ok because the configs should NOT match anyways? So then, was my first unit coded improperly? (you’ll see those match in the old unit)

2000 clk phone system bulletin:

another d2b bulletin:

NEW command settings.

OLD Comand settings:

Last edited by johnnr; 09-30-2021 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Update