CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

When is an AMG NOT an AMG?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK320
When is an AMG NOT an AMG?

...When it has the "AMG Sports Package!" Here's a link to some good info on this option:
https://www.autoblog.com/2006/04/20/...e-for-e-class/

Also, I am a total newbie at Mercedes anything. I bought a 2005 "AMG" CLK550 yesterday that is a complete wreck. I will be parting this out soon! Luckily I had done a bit of homework so when I popped the hood - there was no AMG motor. It had the standard V6! long story short i got a great deal on this car but the interesting thing to me is that it has AMG badges inside and out! On the wheels, the trunk lid, both front fenders and the radiator grill. Also the interior is branded with AMG logo on the seats - everywhere! I did a VIN search and came up with Sports Package in the build sheet. Hmmm....

Last, this car is titled as a CLK550 but the VIN shows a CLK320. What's the difference?
Old 11-09-2019, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 315 Likes on 232 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by KimbroVideo
...When it has the "AMG Sports Package!" Here's a link to some good info on this option:
https://www.autoblog.com/2006/04/20/...e-for-e-class/

Also, I am a total newbie at Mercedes anything. I bought a 2005 "AMG" CLK550 yesterday that is a complete wreck. I will be parting this out soon! Luckily I had done a bit of homework so when I popped the hood - there was no AMG motor. It had the standard V6! long story short i got a great deal on this car but the interesting thing to me is that it has AMG badges inside and out! On the wheels, the trunk lid, both front fenders and the radiator grill. Also the interior is branded with AMG logo on the seats - everywhere! I did a VIN search and came up with Sports Package in the build sheet. Hmmm....

Last, this car is titled as a CLK550 but the VIN shows a CLK320. What's the difference?
CLK550 has a V-8. Someone changed the badge.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:49 PM

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts
2023 E450 AT, 1996 S420, (sold) 2004 CLK320 Convertible (v8, 6 speed)
First off there was not CLK550 for 2005 Model Year, it was introduced only for 2007 MY. Probably someone just swapped clk550 exterior and interior to clk320, but I don't think that clk550 had amg badges on the seats, maybe it's clk55 interior. Have no idea how the hell they were able to register it as 2005 clk550 :-D.
AMG wheels, bumpers, side skirts just parts of "Sport/AMG appearance package" which was standard for all clk500/clk550 in US. Just out of curiosity could you please post some photos.

BTW last 3 (2 for amg cars) digits in a Mercedes model name usually means an engine displacement (true for most of the Mercedes prior 201x, but there are some exceptions)
e.g.
clk550 - 5.5 liter v8
clk320 - 3.2 liter v6

Last edited by dzmitry; 11-09-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:48 PM

CLK320

AMG branded 17" wheels

Xenon headlights? AMG Logo on grille.

CLK550 + AMG Logo on trunk lid
Old 11-09-2019, 07:56 PM

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts
2023 E450 AT, 1996 S420, (sold) 2004 CLK320 Convertible (v8, 6 speed)
It's clk320 (3.2 v6) with regular bumpers and side skirts (without Sport/amg appearance package).
It's not xenon headlights, just blueish halogen bulbs.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:57 PM

CLK320
Thanks for the replies! I'm starting to get it: 550 = 5.5 v8. 320 = 3.2 v6. Someone stuck AMG 5.5 badges on the front quarters too. I'll get pics of the interior stuff like the stainless pedals and AMG seats. Sooooo glad I didn't take a bath on this car! The brake calipers were painted red. It'll be interesting to see what sort of suspension components are on it. The VIN returned a 955 code - "Elegance Package."
Old 11-10-2019, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 424 Likes on 350 Posts
MB’s
CLK 55 AMG and CLK63 are the only CLK AMG's. Everything else that looks like one just has the AMG appearance package and sometimes they add the badge at dealer.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:09 PM

CLK320
Thanks for your reply! I am learning a lot as I tear down the car. This car has been in 4 accidents. 3 listed as "minor" and the 4th was the big one. The car was repaired at a dealer then sold or traded in to the same dealership. After that it was sold to a young lady who owned it four years until she was t-boned by someone who ran a red light. I'm guessing the dealer put the AMG badges on to increase it's resale value? Who knows? it's a fun little car to noodle around in but I still wish it were a v8 though.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 CLK350
Badge engineering at its finest . . sigh.

Questions - did the previous owner swap in the later radio too? If it a Comand radio and has nav, I could be interested . . .

It needs to fit my 08 (CLK 350 convertible), If it does, there are a couple of extra modules scattered around the car which I would also need.

Let me know . . .

Thank you!

Mike/Florida
Old 11-10-2019, 09:54 PM

CLK320
Hey Mike nice to meet you. The radio looks stock to me - no Comand or Nav but I found a bunch of CDs in the glovebox! I feel like I'm getting ahead hahaha!!!

Old 11-10-2019, 10:30 PM

08 CLK350
Yes, that looks like the radio I already have. Look in the center console for the phone puck - if there is only a small socket, it isn't there. If there is a larger black lump, that's one of the parts needed for the hands-free phone. I am under the impression that all of these cars came pre-wired, but the bits needed to make it all work can be costly - and you may or may not be able to get blue-tooth working.

I did see the big whack in the right side of the car - ouch - is it drivable? Be warned that if you do start to drive it around, you are going to seriously think about keeping it instead of parting it out. Also be aware that the ride is so controlled that you NEED to pay attention to how fast you are actually going, it is *very* easy to get a speeding ticket in these cars because they are deceptively smooth and fast. The only real advantage of the V8 over the V6 is faster acceleration - and the V6 isn't exactly a slouch. Mine is the 3.5 liter V6 (CLK 350) and I drive it in comfort mode instead of sport mode and I'll tell you what, it is NOT SLOW. I'm 73 and have had over 150 cars since I was 17, plus dozens of motorcycles, I've had a number of 3.8 liter Jaguars and this MB would eat any of them for breakfast, not even break out a sweat, and casually spit out the bones as an afterthought. The only car I ever had that might give this a run for the money was a 1969 Lotus Elan (new) which had 140 hp but only weighed 1,100 pounds - it was a rocket ship when it ran, which wasn't often (which is probably why I'm still alive, it was insane). Heck, the MB has a higher top speed than my airplane - so do I need the V8 version? I don't think so . . .

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida
Old 11-11-2019, 09:30 AM

CLK320
Thanks Mike! I just checked the center console. I have no idea what I'm looking at but there is a compartment - the lid flips open to the passenger side - and it has 2 buttons; one with an "i" and one with a wrench logo. no phone or lump.

Yes the car drives and all the electricals work! Except of course where the HULK SMASH! is on the passenger side. Made it really easy to load it on and off the trailer! I love the SMELL of the car and I love all the electrical doodads and of course the fact that it's a Mercedes is appealing. I'm just not at all sure this car should be put back on the road... The cost of replacing all the airbags and the passenger door and on and on is daunting plus I don't know if the frame was bent yet. I have the wheels off ad can see the damage to the rear suspension - yes it's easily fixable but it a wreck like this... kinda makes me shudder to think of the hidden gremlins... Would I want my kids in the car? No, not from what I can see. It's interesting the insurance didn't scrap salvage the title.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:04 AM

08 CLK350
The button with the wrench on it is to call for MB authorized service (fill the center console with $100 bills first), it is a subscription service offered with new cars, but I am sure they'll let you subscribe on older cars as well. Of course, you could always get AAA and have the car taken to a non-MB authorized service center (horrors!) or even to your home so you can fix it yourself. (I asked the same question when I got my car, BTW.)

No airbags on this model, just plain old steel springs. No frame, either, the car is unibody. What damage is there to the rear suspension? Since it is unibody, if the shell is significantly distorted, yes, the car is a total. However, if you are brave, you might be able to find a good body shop with a frame rack and access to the correct dimensions and they can pull things back into shape. This is going to be a labor-intensive deal, a lot of stuff will need to come off and then you have to transport it to and from the body shop. The actual "pulling" part may not be very expensive, I had a racked sidecar frame pulled into shape in less than an hour for all of $40.

Take a good close look and see if only the suspension is damaged or if the body is distorted (and how much). Unfortunately, this car won't be worth a huge amount even fixed due to the "interesting" history it has had, and these aren't rare to start with. It is hard to justify spending $5,000 and a lot of work on a car which has been banged around some when you can buy a clean one with no damage history for about the same amount. I'd say if you can fix it without spending a huge amount of time and money on it, have at it and enjoy the heck out of it. If the numbers and ambition just don't work, then part it out.

I will say this, though: Of all the cars I have ever owned, this one is far and away the most enjoyable, competent and satisfying one yet. It is a keeper.

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida
Old 11-13-2019, 07:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 CLK 350
My CLK350 is similar, has the same interior it looks like, same color... has AMG wheels, AMG Exhaust tips and some other upgrades... but it is far from an AMG. It still looks great and goes well from a dead stop, has its minor issues but overall is a good car. And I am not worried if someone mistakes it for the 5.5 or 6.3.