CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Few concerns on recently bought CLK550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 05:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2009 CLK550 Coupe
Few concerns on recently bought CLK550

Hi all!

Recently bought a 2009 Clk550 with 58,000 miles on the clock after selling my previous 05 Clk320. Absolutely love the car but I do have a few concerns.

1. Car shifts and accelerates beautifully however I noticed upon acceleration, right after shifting (2nd or 3rd gear?) a “clanking” noise occurs but does go away depending on how hard I press the gas pedal. I’ve heard the noise on many cars. Almost sounds like loose metal stuck inside somewhere.

2. the moon roof automatic close doesn’t work. I have to hold the button down

3. Feels floaty in the front end and steering is vague. Replaced front tires with continental contisportcontact 5 and seem fine. Could just be the “parameter” steering? If so I hate it! Before driving the car home from the dealer, they apparently replaced the front struts with oem because the old ones were leaking. Maybe this car will never feel as tight as a bmw and will just have to live with it! Regardless, It sure is pretty considering it’s 10 years old!!

4. Any service recommendations at this mileage?

Old 11-18-2019, 10:52 AM

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
2010 E550 Coupe
Congrats on your purchase! 2009 550s (especially with low mileage) are fairly rare from what I've seen. I'm jealous lol.

Not sure about number 1 (probably going to need a mechanic's assessment on that one), but here are my thoughts on the others:

2. My car had the same problem. Sunroof probably just needs lube. Technically, you should use Mercedes-brand sunroof lubricant. However, I just cleaned the rails off as thoroughly as I could (to remove dirt) and applied white lithium grease. Works great now!

3. My car had a similar issue and it ended up being the front thrust arm bushings. This fixed the problem on mine as far as I could tell.

4. It would probably be a good idea to change all the fluids if you're unsure about the prior maintenance. Oil, transmission fluid, coolant, brake fluid. Other than that, I think adhering to the manufacturer service recommendations should be sufficient.

Other suggestion: if you didn't get a pre-purchase inspection (or do one yourself if you're capable), it might be a good idea to get a post-purchase inspection to see if there's anything going on that might not be readily apparent (leaking motor mounts, etc.).
Old 11-18-2019, 12:22 PM

2009 CLK550 Coupe
Ok cool. How do I lubricate the moonroof?
I did get an inspection done at the dealer after buying it and for the most part it looks good except the motor mounts are leaking. But they said it’s not urgent to replace them right now.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:39 PM

2010 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by Ghennes13
Ok cool. How do I lubricate the moonroof?
I did get an inspection done at the dealer after buying it and for the most part it looks good except the motor mounts are leaking. But they said it’s not urgent to replace them right now.
All I did was wipe down the tracks with some paper towels (shop rag might be better) to remove dirt and any old lubricant, then applied white lithium grease dabbed on paper towels (and a q-tip or two) on the tracks and wherever else I could see might benefit from some lubricant. Paper towels probably aren't the ideal thing to use, but it worked for me.
The following users liked this post:
Ghennes13 (11-18-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 02:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2007 clk550, 2006 clk500 (sold)
1. Car shifts and accelerates beautifully however I noticed upon acceleration, right after shifting (2nd or 3rd gear?) a “clanking” noise occurs but does go away depending on how hard I press the gas pedal. I’ve heard the noise on many cars. Almost sounds like loose metal stuck inside somewhere.

Had similar "clanking" on hard acceleration (think merging on to freeway) 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Otherwise transmission shifted fine. I suspected loose/bent "U" joint but Dealer diagnosed as bad transmission. Dealer replaced transmission under Mopar warranty & all is good.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
For #2 there is a reset/sync procedure. Sometimes it gets out of wack when the battery is disconnected or replaced. Trying to remember, but I believe you hold the switch all the way till it's completely open and keep holding for 5 seconds, then hold it all the way till it closes and keep holding for 5 seconds, then do the same for the tilt open and close. Works for the windows too I believe.
Rob Vail (11-20-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 04:04 PM

2009 CLK550 Coupe
Originally Posted by gaazmon
For #2 there is a reset/sync procedure. Sometimes it gets out of wack when the battery is disconnected or replaced. Trying to remember, but I believe you hold the switch all the way till it's completely open and keep holding for 5 seconds, then hold it all the way till it closes and keep holding for 5 seconds, then do the same for the tilt open and close. Works for the windows too I believe.

Moon roof is fixed. Very easy to lube the tracks! Wonder what the dealer would have charged LOL
Old 11-20-2019, 03:06 PM

2009 CLK550 Coupe
Something else id like to mention. The trunk release works but there's something wrong with the springs. Its suppose to fling open pretty fast right?
it sort of creeps open at first then opens fully .. very annoying! are the springs bad or can they be lubricated??
Old 11-20-2019, 04:56 PM

2010 E550 Coupe
The trunk is supposed to open all the way when using the release? Mine just pops up a tad then I have to lift it up. I wonder if mine might be broken too?!

Let us know if you find a solution for this. I don't have one unfortunately.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:56 PM

2009 CLK550 Coupe
Talking

ok figured it out. I pulled back the liner and with some force I pulled the spring and hooked it the next hole. now it opens quicker

the cabriolet lid doesn't open all the way. its only on the coupes
nkx1 (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 CLK550 Coupe
Congrats on the car.

You might want to use your VIN to see what suspension package is on your car. There was an optional sport suspension available. My car came with the standard suspension and after +60K miles it was getting pretty tired and floaty. I just replaced basically my whole front suspension with Sachs (OEM supplier) sport struts, H&R springs, all 4 Lemforder control arms, and swapped in the larger CLK63 AMG sway bar. The car feels so much better now to drive. It soaks up bumps and finally corners like a sport coupe. Even though it was fairly expensive, I am glad I did it.
Ghennes13 (11-20-2019)