CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Aftermarket radio cause no start?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2019 | 09:46 PM

2006 CLK 500
Aftermarket radio cause no start?

i Posted previously about the electrical issues I’m having with my car. I’ve been installing stereos for over 25 years, I’ve worked in several stereo/custom shops so I kinda have an idea what I’m doing. My father in law already took it upon himself to have it towed to a dealership where he told them it was because I cut all the wires etc. well the dealer diagnosed it needing a new pcm. I replaced that and still having issues with it not starting. Now he took it somewhere else and he said the tech told him it was because I replaced the radio. The car was fine for a year with the aftermarket radio but he said he was told that it might b ok at first but not having the factory radio is making the car think it’s stolen, preventing it from starting. Is there any truth to this? I have always used an aftermarket harness with all my installs as I did here with no issues. Am I missing something? He said I need to have the car reprogrammed for an aftermarket radio. This is the first foreign car I’ve owned so maybe I am missing something, I don’t know. Will switching radios cause the car to think it’s stolen and cause the security system to not let the car start?
2006 CLK500
Old 12-04-2019 | 05:53 AM

W124 260E
Radios at one time were linked in to the imobiliser and alarm system , For the reason that if the radio is stolen or removed its comunication to the alarm is cut off .But the simple checks you can do with fuel and spark will tell you if its the radio thats at fault due to its removal . Do you have a spark? Do you have fuel? . If you have these 2 then its not your radio .
Old 12-04-2019 | 09:40 AM

2005 CLK500 Cabriolet
I have an aftermarket radio (JVC deck) in my 2005 CLK500. For 16 months now. No issues. Professionally installed using the correct Metra harness.

I suspect the radio is not the issue if it worked for a year.
Old 12-04-2019 | 09:45 AM

W124 260E
Well right then you need to now proove if its one or the other -- fuel ---spark if both there then no reason why it should not fire up. And as yoy say it did work after radio was installed ..
Old 12-04-2019 | 09:47 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Unless you cut wires that are coming from the ignition switch, there is no way an aftermarket radio or the removal of the factory radio will prevent the car from starting. While some radios in some cars (not the CLK, though) are coded to the VIN, removing them only makes the radio not work - it has no effect on the car.

You need to start with the basics - fuel delivery, spark, etc. A common cause of crank but no start is a bad CPS (crankshaft position senor). If it's not cranking, then check voltage at rest and when trying to crank, and check the starter solenoid fuse and relay.
Old 12-05-2019 | 10:55 AM

2006 CLK 500
When u turn the key it does absolutely nothing. It doesn’t try to crank, I don’t hear the fuel pump or the starter make any noise. It’s just dead. I can’t check anything because my father in law took it to another shop where they are insisting it’s due to the removal of the factory radio. Even IF that is the case it doesn’t explain why there is no communication from the car to the scanner. I have tried several different scanners and they all say there is no communication
Old 12-05-2019 | 10:56 AM

2006 CLK 500

Old 12-05-2019 | 11:15 AM

W124 260E
Rudeney I know most car radios have nothing to do with this if they are removed . But i know for a fact that the old W124 for example that the alarm system is linked in to the Becker radio thats out of the workshop manual .So not all Mercedes radios can just be removed without a problem .
Old 12-05-2019 | 11:41 AM

W124 260E
Lenny you will find this no start no power is down to your SAM modual .Sorry to say your talking in the region of $1000 or more but repars are next best thing . View this on youtube video so you need to put in the search How to Fix No Power no Start on Most Mercedes -Benz Vehicles DIY . Hope this helps you sorted out.
Old 12-05-2019 | 12:02 PM

W124 260E
fuse

Kenny anothe culprit may be your Crash Fuse . You will find it by the battery .This is a picture an old one . The SAM can get damaged jump starting the car if thats been done recently //

Old 12-06-2019 | 08:13 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Originally Posted by optimusprime m1
Rudeney I know most car radios have nothing to do with this if they are removed . But i know for a fact that the old W124 for example that the alarm system is linked in to the Becker radio thats out of the workshop manual .So not all Mercedes radios can just be removed without a problem .
Yes, in the pre-CAN bus days, some radios were hardwired into the security system so that if the car alarm was triggered, it would lock the radio. Also, in the days before MFD screens on the instrument cluster, they used the radio's display to show messages. Some also had a the red alarm LED indicator on the radio. However, removing the radio would not prevent the car from starting.

In this case, i suspect either (a) a voltage issue or (b) some wires unrelated to the radio, but related to the ignition switch, were disturbed during the aftermarket install.
Old 12-07-2019 | 04:29 AM

W124 260E
Rodney topmarks my friend . I think its time to start testing all the vital electrical items . Lenny did any one in the last few weeks try to start it with jump leads ?.