CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

clk320 6 speed 5.0 v8 swap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2023, 06:25 PM

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts
2023 E450 AT, 1996 S420, (sold) 2004 CLK320 Convertible (v8, 6 speed)
Originally Posted by pablo2696
Hello Dzmitry,

I think I will swap the transmission since it's the right one for that M113 engine. As far as the diff goes, if possible, I would like to avoid swapping it. What do you think would be the pros and cons of leaving the E320 diff and using it with the M113? Would this setup result in more torque and acceleration at the expense of top speed?

Thanks for the suggestion on replacing parts. I will definitely replace some parts while the engines are out!

Regarding the coding, since I have both cars in perfect running condition, wouldn't it be possible to just swap all modules along with the engines/trans and thereby avoid coding the ECU?

I would prefer doing that if possible. I assume that certain modules, such as the airmatic or parktronic, don't need to be swapped. I believe I can later deactivate these from the developer options inside the CWG using the SDS.

Thanks!
I briefly looked at parts diagram, seems like you might not need to swap even driveshaft.... but I'm not 100% sure, I've never worked on w211, you'll need to dig into it on your own.
Yep you should get a bit more wheel torque, which is kinda good
If you want to avoid coding the ECU you'll probably need to swap ECU, probably CGW (in w209/w203 CGW is integrated into EZS), Keys, TCU (if you are swapping transmission), most likely Ignition switch (EZS) and steering column lock module.
Old 10-14-2023, 06:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w209 clk500
Originally Posted by dzmitry
Hey sorry for the delay, started working on the guide how to configure ME2.8 ECUs https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...explained.html, still work in progress

1. Ideally I'd try to match HW version (can be found on the ECU sticker)
2. You don't need DAS/Xentry to do the configuration, K-TAG is enough
Hey, you don't need to apologize for anything.

Regarding point 1. I'm glad to hear that. I was able to purchase an ecu last week on eBay with the same serial number and the same version of HW.

Thank you very much for the link to the guide post. I will try as much as possible to complete point 2 following the guide and the content of the post.

Once again, thank you very much for sharing your work with the community.
Old 10-15-2023, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by giorgionat
Hey, you don't need to apologize for anything.

Regarding point 1. I'm glad to hear that. I was able to purchase an ecu last week on eBay with the same serial number and the same version of HW.

Thank you very much for the link to the guide post. I will try as much as possible to complete point 2 following the guide and the content of the post.

Once again, thank you very much for sharing your work with the community.

A couple of warnings about K-TAG software:
1. since it's ... let's say not 100% original version of the software I would not install it on my main computer, it probably contains some malware/viruses, so use some spare laptop without the Internet access (I'm this is required) and no access to your sensitive information.
2. You will require one "Grabber hook", something like this
Amazon Amazon
cheaper alternative works too. Connecting to the ECU is very simple and well documented in the K-TAG software.
3. After reading the ECU you'll need to save the ECU files separately (the software will ask you about this). You'll get 4 files, and you are looking for .EPR file.

Feel free to ping me if you have any problems with it.
The following users liked this post:
giorgionat (10-16-2023)
Old 10-16-2023, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w209 clk500

A couple of warnings about K-TAG software:
1. since it's ... let's say not 100% original version of the software I would not install it on my main computer, it probably contains some malware/viruses, so use some spare laptop without the Internet access (I'm this is required) and no access to your sensitive information.
2. You will require one "Grabber hook", something like this https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Hook-Do...srs=8494778011 cheaper alternative works too. Connecting to the ECU is very simple and well documented in the K-TAG software.
3. After reading the ECU you'll need to save the ECU files separately (the software will ask you about this). You'll get 4 files, and you are looking for .EPR file.

Feel free to ping me if you have any problems with it.
Thanks for the advice, with a bit of luck I will receive the k-tag this week. I have a dedicated laptop for this tasks with no personal info in it, definitely will use it or this.

I have read that it is not recommended to use the k-tag's own power supply to power the ECU, some people recommend powering the ECU with a professional power supply (I have one). Have you experienced any problems with this?

If it's ok with you, for future doubts I can post them in the post dedicated to the documentation and this way it can serve as a complement for other users.

Thank you for your quick response and advice.
Old 10-17-2023, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by giorgionat
Thanks for the advice, with a bit of luck I will receive the k-tag this week. I have a dedicated laptop for this tasks with no personal info in it, definitely will use it or this.

I have read that it is not recommended to use the k-tag's own power supply to power the ECU, some people recommend powering the ECU with a professional power supply (I have one). Have you experienced any problems with this?

If it's ok with you, for future doubts I can post them in the post dedicated to the documentation and this way it can serve as a complement for other users.

Thank you for your quick response and advice.
Good idea, replied in the dedicated ECU thread
Old 04-25-2024, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 mercedes benz clk500 convertible
Swap

i there,
Here is a story about how my beloved clk320 went through another surgery… this time it’s 5.0 v8 swap (previous episode is here)

I’ll try to answer couple of questions first:
  1. Why not simply buy clk500? Very simple: I have an emotional attachment to my car, I spent too much money on it already, I don’t want to redo all the work I’ve already done (e.g soft top, interior, suspension, etc). Plus I have 3.27 rear diff gears (with LSD) vs 2.82 on clk500.
  2. Why 5.0 not 5.4? 5.0 engines are much cheaper (I’d say 3 times cheaper) and since I have manual transmission which was designed for 3.2 engine it will last a little bit longer with 5.0
I know this post is a few years old so I don't expect a response but one would be appreciated. I'm going to be swapping a clk 55 into my clk 500 would you be able to do the ecu for that and I wouldn't feel right without throwing you something for doing it. Also I'm kinda of new to the mercedes world but from your post and pics you sure did make it look easy. will I need any special tools or is there any reason I should think twice thanks
Old 04-25-2024, 06:51 PM

Hey, 500 -> 55 should be easy, as for the ECU you have two options:
1. (The easy one), keep your original ECU (clk55 and clk500 ECUs are basically identical, not like with 32k/55k) and find any tunner who can update ECU mapping for bigger injectors. BTW you should be able to drive your no problem after the swap even without any changes to the ECU, but I wouldn't do it for a long and/or hard
2. Buy yourself (or find someone with the tool) K-TAG and flash clk55 fuel maps into your ECU yourself.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'm usually keeping an eye on this thread to help
Old 05-14-2024, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W202 C280 2000 model
i there,
Here is a story about how my beloved clk320 went through another surgery… this time it’s 5.0 v8 swap (previous episode is here)

I’ll try to answer couple of questions first:
  1. Why not simply buy clk500? Very simple: I have an emotional attachment to my car, I spent too much money on it already, I don’t want to redo all the work I’ve already done (e.g soft top, interior, suspension, etc). Plus I have 3.27 rear diff gears (with LSD) vs 2.82 on clk500.
  2. Why 5.0 not 5.4? 5.0 engines are much cheaper (I’d say 3 times cheaper) and since I have manual transmission which was designed for 3.2 engine it will last a little bit longer with 5.0
Hey I am new here. I have a W202 C280 with M112 V6 and I am looking to swap with an M113. Now my ask is which chassis having the M113 will be best to get an engine from possibly with the transmission.