CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Steering Angle ESP Malfunction: Wheel alignment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLK350
Steering Angle ESP Malfunction: Wheel alignment

I am getting a code C1170 Steering angle sensor. Zero point variation. Dash shows ESP Malfunction message and steering wheel is pointing right when the car is going straight. Steering angle sensor is reading 1.49.

I tried the reset procedure (turn steering full way both ways 3 times). Also tried turning off ESP a few times. I have an iCarsoft MB v2.0 code scanner. Anything else worth trying to figure out if the N49 speed sensor needs to be replaced? Do ya'll think a wheel alignment will help?

Thanks
Old 09-09-2021, 09:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CLK (W209) 270Cdi 2003
Was any work performed recently on the car, involving steering, steering column, steering wheel, brakes, suspension, ABS, etc.? Any sidewalk impacts, big potholes, etc.? Does the speedometer work normally? Any ABS-specific codes or warnings?

The "wheel pointing right when car is going straight" situation, is it recent, or has always been like this, but the warning is recent?

I don't think wheel alignment will help...but it can't hurt either. Mine had a similar issue (wheel left when car straight), but never had any codes or errors due to it. Wheel alignment did solve that.

If you can get the car to a STAR diag tool, it may mention more detail than your iCarsoft...maybe.

Good luck, and do let us know how this progresses.

DF
Old 09-09-2021, 09:48 AM

CLK (W209) 270Cdi 2003
Forgot to say, electronics are probably different: mine is an EU pre-facelift diesel, yours is (I presume) an US post-facelift petrol.
Old 09-09-2021, 10:23 AM

2006 CLK350
No recent work was performed and there are plenty of pot holes around here to hit but none memorable enough that might have caused this. The steering wheel pointing right is very recent and there are no other stored codes. Car seems to be driving ok but I have noticed more of a vibration at high speeds so perhaps a wheel alignment is necessary irregardless.

Originally Posted by dfrois
Was any work performed recently on the car, involving steering, steering column, steering wheel, brakes, suspension, ABS, etc.? Any sidewalk impacts, big potholes, etc.? Does the speedometer work normally? Any ABS-specific codes or warnings?

The "wheel pointing right when car is going straight" situation, is it recent, or has always been like this, but the warning is recent?

I don't think wheel alignment will help...but it can't hurt either. Mine had a similar issue (wheel left when car straight), but never had any codes or errors due to it. Wheel alignment did solve that.

If you can get the car to a STAR diag tool, it may mention more detail than your iCarsoft...maybe.

Good luck, and do let us know how this progresses.

DF
Old 09-09-2021, 11:42 AM

CLK (W209) 270Cdi 2003
With that info, I would guess the car has two separate issues, probably with the same cause: some pothole or stone bump (even if not memorable), that misaligned the steering, and also dislodged some wheel balancing weights (at the very least) and/or bent the wheel rim. My guess is front left wheel.

If I'm right, the wheel alignment can indeed solve the steering wheel issue, but will not, in and of itself, solve the vibration issue. That comes from wheel/tire balancing or, in worst scenario, a bent wheel rim.

As for the electronics part (codes, lights, etc.), I'm sorry that I can't help, but I have no experience with post-facelift systems on a CLK.

If you do decide to get a wheel alignment done. I suggest asking for a thorough visual inspection of front suspension and steering components, including the wheels. Also check for play in suspension arms, rods, etc, including wheel bearings. I guess something will be found on the front left.

Good luck.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:51 AM

2006 CLK350
Update: I got a wheel alignment and the alert has gone away. After I drove home the alert changed to ESP Unavailable see Owners manual. One of the things in the owners manual was to drive it for 12 miles, I did and the alert is gone,

Now I have to find tires, the shop said the rear wheels were terribly out of balance to the point that I need new tires.

Thanks for the help
Old 09-14-2021, 11:18 AM

CLK (W209) 270Cdi 2003
Well, that's good news...and bad news!. It's good that the alerts have gone, but the rear wheel issue is major. A small imbalance in the front wheels can cause vibrations, but for that to happen due to imbalance in the REAR wheels, it has to be very, very severe! I wouldn't drive the car any further until it went to the tire shop. And even then, only at really slow speeds, like 30-40 mph MAX.

Are you sure the rear rims are straight?

Real wheel imbalance that bad can cause all sorts of problems with halfshafts, differential, transmission, suspension, bushings, etc...if left unattended, even if it's just one long journey at "normal" speeds. I suggest new rear tires, like, yesterday!

Yes, I am a bit of a pessimist Better safe than sorry...

Good luck.

DF
Old 09-15-2021, 03:15 PM

2006 CLK350
Shop did advise to not drive it until I replaced the rear tires but that was because the tires were in really really bad shape (ie steel belt showing).

I just ordered 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport4 from Costco. I'll get it re-aligned once they are installed.

Originally Posted by dfrois
Well, that's good news...and bad news!. It's good that the alerts have gone, but the rear wheel issue is major. A small imbalance in the front wheels can cause vibrations, but for that to happen due to imbalance in the REAR wheels, it has to be very, very severe! I wouldn't drive the car any further until it went to the tire shop. And even then, only at really slow speeds, like 30-40 mph MAX.

Are you sure the rear rims are straight?

Real wheel imbalance that bad can cause all sorts of problems with halfshafts, differential, transmission, suspension, bushings, etc...if left unattended, even if it's just one long journey at "normal" speeds. I suggest new rear tires, like, yesterday!

Yes, I am a bit of a pessimist Better safe than sorry...

Good luck.

DF