CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

'07 CLK 550 Audio Failure - Seems to be related to Satellite Radio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2023, 09:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 CLK 550
'07 CLK 550 Audio Failure - Seems to be related to Satellite Radio

Issue: When powering up sometimes the radio and CD player work fine - while the Satellite Radio is trying to acquire a signal. Once the Satellite Radio acquiring signal routine (I presume) times out, the screen reports "No Satellite Radio" and then nothing (AM/FM/CD) works even though it worked fine while it was trying to acquire a signal. This unit has previously worked fine and the Sirius/XM subscription is current. Wife took the car to a local guy and he replaced the amplifier in the trunk. Problems continued as before. I haven't figured out why sometimes the radio works on powering up and sometimes it doesn't.

What I have done: I replaced the fuses powering everything up (20, 26, 64, 16) with no change in behavior. I also disconnected the car battery for a couple of hours with no improvement.

Possibly related: The convertible top was recently replaced.

The Ask(s):
#1 - Would appreciate any thoughts on additional troubleshooting steps or possibly from what I have described tell me what I need to do next to resolve the problem.
#2 - Anyone know any competent techs in the Washington/Baltimore area who could assist? Trying to stay out of the dealerships who may well have the diagnostics equipment but not be all that familiar with a 16-year-old system and the nuances of that era.

Last edited by obenourb; 10-22-2023 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-19-2023, 06:17 PM

Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
SL500
When you say nothing works, is it just the sound that is missing and everything else loks like it is working, or is everything dead?

If it is just no sound, it looks like the issue may be the satellite radio causing the problem.

If you don't want satellite radio, then you will need a fiber bypass loop (MOST in your car) and the satellite radio coding out (Bypass loop might work on its own, but audio gateway also looks for components that are missing)

However there may be another issue with MOST fiber, which prevents the Satellite from starting up.

I would suggest first getting it on STAR SDS system and diagnosing the MOST loop for errors and missing components, though fitting they bypass loop is the quickest and cheapest first option.
Old 10-19-2023, 09:48 PM

2007 CLK 550
Sometimes I turn the car on then the COMAND center and I get radio, CD and occasionally the Satellite Radio works - just like it is supposed to. Then after a couple of minutes the Satellite Radio goes to "No Satellite Radio" and there is no more sound although the radio and CD player look just like they should and I can change stations, change CD tracks, etc. - just no sound. Other times the Satellite Radio goes to "Acquring Signal" and it never comes to life and goes to "No Satellite Radio". Then other times it just starts at "No Satellite Radio" and stays there. This thing is flaky in how it presents different faces but always ends up in a "No Satellite Radio" mode and the Radio and CD look OK but have no sound.

Prior to reading your note I ordered a bypass loop to try and take the Satellite Radio out of the equation. As you say, it may not work if the system detects something is missing. It would be nice and simple if when I bypass the Satellite Radio the Radio and CD work correctly. We'll see.

I am limited in my documentation for this car (2007 CLK 550) and don't know where in the car the Satellite Radio module is located? Do you know or have any good sources where I can get this information? Happy to pay a few $ if I need to.

As you suggest, I may need to bite the bullet and go to a shop with the STAR SDS system and the talent to use it properly for this problem.
Old 10-21-2023, 04:33 PM

SL500
This is what I found
Added the MOST manual for an overview of the system
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
task.pdf (178.6 KB, 43 views)
MOST system.pdf (3.52 MB, 236 views)

Last edited by g0rsq; 10-21-2023 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-21-2023, 11:59 PM

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
2010 E550 Coupe
Is there a way to enter an engineering menu and/or do a hard reset for the COMAND system? On my 2010 car with the ntg4.0 system, I can enter an engineering menu to change various system parameters and also hard reset the system. I've never bothered to learn how to do anything similar on the CLK COMAND system, since I've never had a need to do it. But it would seem like a worthwhile endeavor to reset the system if at all possible.

Also, why would the audio guy install a new amp if the problem appears to relate to satellite radio? That seems totally nonsensical. I'd be annoyed (to say the least) if that happened to me!
Old 10-22-2023, 09:19 AM

2007 CLK 550
Thank you, very helpful. One thing though - the task.pdf document shows the location for a sedan. Mine is a cabriolet and it is not located in the passenger side rear wheel well. Do you by chance have this for a cabriolet?
Old 10-22-2023, 09:24 AM

2007 CLK 550
I don't know about the engineering mode. As to the "why replace the amp?" topic. Short version - the cabriolet top had leaked a little bit before I replaced it. The tech thought he saw corrosion and figured it would be an easy fix. Swing and a miss..... I was traveling when this all went down and my wife was engaging with the tech. He did give half the $ back though. I don't think he had any diagnosing tools.
The following users liked this post:
nkx1 (10-22-2023)
Old 10-22-2023, 06:06 PM

SL500
Originally Posted by obenourb
Thank you, very helpful. One thing though - the task.pdf document shows the location for a sedan. Mine is a cabriolet and it is not located in the passenger side rear wheel well. Do you by chance have this for a cabriolet?
WIS indicates the same position for sedan and convertible.

However I found this document, which shows a different location

Attached Files
Old 10-22-2023, 06:16 PM

SL500
Originally Posted by nkx1
Is there a way to enter an engineering menu and/or do a hard reset for the COMAND system? On my 2010 car with the ntg4.0 system, I can enter an engineering menu to change various system parameters and also hard reset the system. I've never bothered to learn how to do anything similar on the CLK COMAND system, since I've never had a need to do it. But it would seem like a worthwhile endeavor to reset the system if at all possible.

Also, why would the audio guy install a new amp if the problem appears to relate to satellite radio? That seems totally nonsensical. I'd be annoyed (to say the least) if that happened to me!
I have a few notes i have taken from sources. I have entered the service mode, but not sure if it was via these tips.

Try and see what works. I replaced all my comand units, so cant test for you.

COMAND-APS hidden menu can be accessed by pressing buttons MUTE+1+3 and holding for a few seconds while in "Audio" menu.

power up your COMAND unit, briefly hold down 1,3,8 at the same time, and the service screen should come up

Service mode
In Lang. Audio + Hang up + NWW + SW
Mute + SERV + END

Special menu try
* # Left
Post which one, if any, work
Old 10-22-2023, 06:25 PM

2007 CLK 550
Thanks for the new location pics. I had a hunch that was where it was and tried to take a peak. The removal of the interference became too much for me. In particular, a metal cover goes across the back and covers up the electronics there. The metal cover is covered by a fabric "carpet-like" molded piece that runs clear up the back of the rear seats. With the convertible top system installed, I couldn't see how to get it removed so I could remove the metal cover and get to the SDAR.

Your document has a finger pointer and then the letters "AR" and it appears to be expanded information on how to do that step - "Remove coverings in trunk". Is this documentation something I can buy at a reasonable price in either a hard copy or a digital version? If such a source exists please point me there and I'll buy the necessary documentation if not crazy $. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2023, 06:44 PM

SL500
Originally Posted by obenourb
Thanks for the new location pics. I had a hunch that was where it was and tried to take a peak. The removal of the interference became too much for me. In particular, a metal cover goes across the back and covers up the electronics there. The metal cover is covered by a fabric "carpet-like" molded piece that runs clear up the back of the rear seats. With the convertible top system installed, I couldn't see how to get it removed so I could remove the metal cover and get to the SDAR.

Your document has a finger pointer and then the letters "AR" and it appears to be expanded information on how to do that step - "Remove coverings in trunk". Is this documentation something I can buy at a reasonable price in either a hard copy or a digital version? If such a source exists please point me there and I'll buy the necessary documentation if not crazy $. Thanks.
I will send you an invoice when you are finished

These documents are available on WIS/ASRA/EPC

You can find copies on eBay for a few $$$, but they usually run on a virtual machine, which is very clunky. There are hacked copies which will install on a PC which are much better, but takes a lot of effort to install. Size of both versions is about 20Gb

Happy to route out any that interest you
Attached Files
Remove paneling in trunk.pdf (217.6 KB, 52 views)
Old 10-26-2023, 01:19 AM

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts
1998 SL500,2011 GL550,2009 ML350,past 1995 E320 Cabrio ,2005 ML500,2006 ML500,1996 SL500,1972 280SEL
Same problem with my 2008 GL550

Please keep posting with your troubleshooting.. I am chasing the same problem with my 2008 GL550… I put my STAR system on and found nothing.. no codes and restarted the fiber optic ring .. My car when I turn the key all the way but NOT start… first error on screen No satellite radio…(no sound ,no cd changer, fm radio has channels but no sound) turn the key off and remove it than try again and before starting it everything works fine. HELP!!! Thanks Bill
Old 10-26-2023, 09:31 AM

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts
1998 SL500,2011 GL550,2009 ML350,past 1995 E320 Cabrio ,2005 ML500,2006 ML500,1996 SL500,1972 280SEL
Engineering mode 2008 GL550

After many tries my radio for the Eng mode is
System than OK -7-Mute
I have an Alpine Comand Radio