CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

How to silence the rubber window seals???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 09:06 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 220 Likes on 160 Posts
How to silence the rubber window seals???

The rubber window seals on my coupe are noisy especially when going over bumps or up an incline of a driveway etc, any cures?

Thanks

Last edited by RJC; 01-25-2005 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 CLK55
Question I haven't tried using it yet, but...

Originally Posted by RJC
The rubber window seals on my coupe are noisy especially when going over bumps or up an incline of a driveway etc, any cures?

Thanks
I bought some silicone lubricant from Schlep Boys the other day, but I haven't tried it yet because it's been bitterly cold out over the last week. What I am going to do is to spray some of the lube onto some Q-tips, and then run the Q-tips up between the window seals. I think that should help eliminate the squeeking, and it might even help with wind noise ever so slightly. Anyway, as soon as the temperature here gets out of the teens (It's freezing, even inside the garage, and I want to take my time doing it), I'll try it and let you know!

Best regards,
Matt
Old 01-26-2005, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 ML350 CDI AMG Sports, BMW e92 335i (sold), CLK240 Avantgarde (sold)
Originally Posted by RJC

Thanks
Hi RJC,

I also get the noise but mine only makes that noise whenever I drive off after the door has been opened and closed... at one stage my dealer put some clear grease on the window seal but I hated it because it left quite an ugly residue behind so at the moment I've just put up with it but I think some clear grease is the way to go...

Cheers.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:09 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the tips...I read somewhere on this site that there was a specific product for this issue, anyone out there remember what it was? I know that there is a dry silicone spray that might be better than the regular stuff.

I seem to be getting the noise from the rear, drivers side window, lower insiderubber seal in addition to the normal front window upper seals noises.

Last edited by RJC; 01-26-2005 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:14 PM

CLK320
This is a known warranty issue - interior squeaking/creaking noise kit (TSB P-00-45-77).
Old 01-26-2005, 11:00 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bryanm
This is a known warranty issue - interior squeaking/creaking noise kit (TSB P-00-45-77).
Excellent, did you have yours done and if so what did it involve as it seems to get to the lower rubberseals the door and rear panels need to come out...don't know if I want them to go that far.

Thanks
Old 01-27-2005, 09:23 AM

CLK320
Yes, mine was done - it took them around 3.5 hours (according to the bill).

It did involve removing the panel. The technician did an excellent job, you can't tell that anything was done.

The alternative, sparying in a bunch of goop, is likely a short term messy fix if it works, and if you want the warranty fix later they may refuse claiming you caused the problem yourself.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:37 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks...looks like it's the way to go.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by bryanm
Could you check this number again, because my service department typed this code into the STAR system, and could not locate this TSB. Is it possibly for another model?
Old 02-04-2005, 05:45 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

I tried some silicone spray on a cloth and did all the window seals and strips about 4 times over a 7 day period, I figured I had nothing to lose since I was going to bring it in for this and my squeaky brakes, well after the third treatment the noise is almost completely gone and the car's been washed twice too. I still think the new gaskets are the best and most permanent solution but I'm pretty satisified now and can rest easy some incompitent or hurried tech doesn't ruin or stain the panels etc that need to be removed to access the rubber seals.

I did in fact find a dry silicone spray is available but you need to look hard to find it or ot can be ordered on-line if you do a search, I used the regular stuff as it dries quickly and does not leave a greasy residue.

Now if I can only get the brakes to stop sqeeling at low speeds I'd be happy, the problem is it's an intermitent noise which the dealer loves to say CANNOT VERIFY, but the first 5 minutes when you leave the service dept on the way home the noise decides to say hello.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:07 PM

RJC--

What brand of silicone spray did you use?
Old 02-04-2005, 07:30 PM

CLK320
Originally Posted by Psycho
Could you check this number again, because my service department typed this code into the STAR system, and could not locate this TSB. Is it possibly for another model?
I got the number from alldata website. Perhaps they posted it incorrectly. If you find out the correct number, please post it here for everyones benifit.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:12 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Psycho
RJC--

What brand of silicone spray did you use?
Gunk Brand Heavy Duty Silicone
Old 02-06-2005, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by RJC
I still think the new gaskets are the best and most permanent solution but I'm pretty satisified now and can rest easy some incompitent or hurried tech doesn't ruin or stain the panels etc that need to be removed to access the rubber seals.
Agree with you there RJC, really hate taking the car the dealers myself. If only Merc can make a car with no faults

Thanks for the tip about the dry silicon spray, have noticed my car is starting to make the noise under acceleration and over speed humps.

Last edited by kaiju; 02-07-2005 at 02:19 AM.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:18 PM

CLK320
Originally Posted by kaiju
If only Merc can make a car with no faults
They can't make a space station with no faults - and that is with some of the greatest minds on the planet involved in its design, some of the planets most skilled craftsmen involved in its manufacture and virtually unlimited funding! I guess the moral of the story is that there is only so much testing you can do in the lab - real world results always differ and one of the assembly line guys girlfriends may have been mad at him the night before

Back to the problem at hand. Biased somewhat because I had it done already - I prefer the replacement felt method to the band-aid spray solution. The spray will disapate over time and hopefully the felt is there to stay.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:57 AM

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Exclamation Window squeak noise solution...

Seems in spite of a very ridgid CLK frame/body, going over some speed bumps or MB service managers will cause window rubber squeaking noise.

Coming out of a Porsche, owners had a somewhat similar problem. The noise instead was caused by the windshield rubbers making noise while going over a bump.

The real fix was accomplished with a solid lubricant called Pedro's Ice Wax. Apply Pedro's directly to the rubber weatherstripping across the contact area. It is waaaay better than silicone and it lasts. It does not stain either.
You can buy a small 2 oz. amount for only $1.98. Larger 1 gallon sizes available if your Cat D9 blade is also squeaking. It is available at better bicycle stores.
Here is a quick web link:
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/113...-offerIN050DW1
Old 03-04-2005, 09:23 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by skytop
Seems in spite of a very ridgid CLK frame/body, going over some speed bumps or MB service managers will cause window rubber squeaking noise.

Coming out of a Porsche, owners had a somewhat similar problem. The noise instead was caused by the windshield rubbers making noise while going over a bump.

The real fix was accomplished with a solid lubricant called Pedro's Ice Wax. Apply Pedro's directly to the rubber weatherstripping across the contact area. It is waaaay better than silicone and it lasts. It does not stain either.
You can buy a small 2 oz. amount for only $1.98. Larger 1 gallon sizes available if your Cat D9 blade is also squeaking. It is available at better bicycle stores.
SWWWEEEETTTT!!!! THANKS!!!
Old 03-06-2005, 05:00 PM

Awesome! thanks dude!
Old 01-11-2007, 03:29 PM
ahm
Almost a Member!

CL500 (W216)

Thanks a lot! The noise was driving me nuts but after following your advise it's gone. Thanks again!
Old 01-25-2007, 12:12 PM

CLK200 kompressor, BMW X3 2.5i, BMW525i
I had this creaking noise for a while coming from the back and I guessed it was coming from the windows so i took the car to the dealer he listen to the creaking and he told me that the windows needed readjustment (whatever this is) but nothing about lubricants. So i took the car back but when I accelerate from stop here it goes again (i also here the creaking when i drive on rough surface or over bumps). Do the windows need lubricant and if yes where and how you apply it? Is it better for the dealer to fix it?
Old 01-25-2007, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
When I Worked for Mercedes we Used the Special Lube for the Pano Roof on the 209 window seals...clean the seals then apply the lube with a Q-tip..Seems to last...I Did My Sons New 2007 209 and it no longer squeaks