CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

AC (Air Conditioning) Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 12:28 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC (Air Conditioning) Problem

Hi Guys... My car is a 2002 CLK55 and has 71K miles. Last week, something happened with my AC that it was blowing hot hair. I took it to a local shop to have it diagnosed and recharged with 134(Freon). It was all good until today that it went out again. I took it back to the local shop for another diagnosis (for free) and they did not see any leaks. They also said that the pressure on my freon was normal. What they did was they added more dye and recharged it again with freon. Now it's cold again. Has anybody experienced this problem before ? I had 4 MB's already and AC seems to be my problem with all of them. Is this common ?
Old 10-09-2005, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Sounds like you have a leak. If they filled the system, it worked for a week, stopped working, and then could hold more Freon (without overfilling the system), then the Freon leaked. That the tech could not initially locate the source of the leak is not uncommon. That’s why they added the dye. When the system stops blowing cold air again (and trust me, it will), bring it back to the shop. This time the leaking Freon will be mixed with dye. The AC tech will use an ultraviolet lamp to illuminate the dye. The irradiated dye will show the tech the source of the leak.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
3 of the 6 mercedes I have ever owned had A/C that stopped working. The other 3 work because the cars are still pretty new. I think it is a pretty common problem, and with age you have to expect it.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:30 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by MarcusF
Sounds like you have a leak. If they filled the system, it worked for a week, stopped working, and then could hold more Freon (without overfilling the system), then the Freon leaked. That the tech could not initially locate the source of the leak is not uncommon. That’s why they added the dye. When the system stops blowing cold air again (and trust me, it will), bring it back to the shop. This time the leaking Freon will be mixed with dye. The AC tech will use an ultraviolet lamp to illuminate the dye. The irradiated dye will show the tech the source of the leak.
Yes, it happened again. Now, I took it to the MB dealer. They can't find the leak again. They are suspecting that the leak is somewhere on the evaporator. The only drawback is they have to take out the dash. The labor alone is $1700 to take it out. Right now, I'm not willing to spend that much. Is there any way so see the evaporator without taking off the dash ? Any ideas will be appreciated.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:59 PM

'06 CLS55 P030
If they put dye in it and the evaporator is leaking....some of the dye residue may be mixed into water coming out of the condensation drains when the a/c is running..Also, a sniff type leak detector can detect refrigerant seeping from these drains under the vehicle. The leak problem also may be at your expanision valve, which connects to the evap. and is replacable w/o pulling the dash.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:09 PM

1997 C36 AMG
When the condensor on my 97 C36 was leaking , I am told by my SA that condensor leaking was common to Mercedes (at the time he mentioned W210, W202, W208).

I agree with other opinion, if the freon keep dissappearing then there must be a leak somewhere in the system. The dyed freon should help in locating that leak.

Regardz,
Old 10-29-2005, 12:41 PM

Ferrrari 458 Lamborghini SL 570-4 Mercedes CLS63
It is the evaporator for sure....Trust me I went threw this 5 time before they gutted the interior and replaced it....under warranty thankfully.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:42 PM

Ferrrari 458 Lamborghini SL 570-4 Mercedes CLS63
Mine was a 01 CLK55....FYI
Old 10-29-2005, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by mastermason11
Yes, it happened again. Now, I took it to the MB dealer. They can't find the leak again. They are suspecting that the leak is somewhere on the evaporator. The only drawback is they have to take out the dash. The labor alone is $1700 to take it out. Right now, I'm not willing to spend that much. Is there any way so see the evaporator without taking off the dash ? Any ideas will be appreciated.
I have the exact same problem on my 2003. My mechanic also said that the dash needed to come off. Wierd thing is that when the freon runs low, only the driver side vent blows hot air. THis happens only once every 3 months or so, I figured Id jsut top off the gas every time, until I manage to sell the car off.