CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

CLK 55 AMG trackday car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by Clk&Slk
Dude.......if your brain is not on DRUGS, I don't know what is !!!!!
Believe me ,I realize there's no reasoning with this cat (AMG55) as well.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mymbonline
Dude.......if your brain is not on DRUGS, I don't know what is !!!!!
what's wrong w/ what i said??

btw, i read the piece on jeff and his c class, he's a good driver,what can i say?
Old 12-09-2005, 01:01 AM

AMG C43, 1999
Beck's,

The CLK will make a great track car with some work. With the minor weight I have removed my car now weighs less than a E46 M3. My C43 weighs about 3200 lbs now while the M3 weighs about 3450lbs from what I read on the Internet.

A LSD differential is a real aid and I would say is a must. Also the uprated springs and swaybars make the car feel like it weighs 1000 lbs less than it does.

The SSR wheels are only 15.5 lbs each and I run 17"x9.5" both front and rear with 255/40/17 in front and 275/40/17 in the rear.

The Penske shocks and eibach springs really make a hugh change and upgrade. I have almost no roll through the corners and I do not really do much if any hard driving in the canyons. I might rip around a little, but the difference in speed between driving at the track and on a public road is about 100% difference. The fastest pace you can safely run on the road is about the speed I run to warm up the tires at the track.

As far as acceleration my C43 will pull on a E39 M3 everywhere and is slightly faster than a current E46 M3, with better pull off the corners.

In summary if you spend the time and get the chassis sorted out properly a CLK55 will be a very fast and capable track car that wears the tires out evenly across the tread width and will just shock others you will share the track with. Most people just can't believe it was a Mercedes that passed them and drove off. Also at the track the Auto trans is not an issue at all. You manually put it in the gear you want and it will stay there even as the engine hits the rev limiter.

Go For it.

Jeff

Last edited by speedybenz; 12-09-2005 at 01:09 AM.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:12 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06' Clk 500 Cabriolet, 01' CL 55, 00' Clk 430
Originally Posted by AMG_55
what's wrong w/ what i said??

say?

You said the M3 is NOT a SPORT CAR !!! Why don't you just name one cars magazines that said the M3 is not a sport car. All I asked is JUST ONE !!! And name another cars magazine that said the CLK 55 is a sport car. Btw, All the cars magazine is that compared the M3 and Clk 55....the CLK 55 lost to the M3 in all the performances catagories !!! All test were done by one driver (the same driver). Just because someone said they passed others people car on the track, it does not alway mean, their car is faster then others. He might just be a better driver then others !!! Sh#$$t.....i own a Clk 430 with suspension mods and it handling is NOT even close to the stock BMW 3 series !!!!
Old 12-09-2005, 03:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
2002 CLK430
You said the M3 is NOT a SPORT CAR !!! Why don't you just name one cars magazines that said the M3 is not a sport car. All I asked is JUST ONE !!! And name another cars magazine that said the CLK 55 is a sport car. Btw, All the cars magazine is that compared the M3 and Clk 55....the CLK 55 lost to the M3 in all the performances catagories !!! All test were done by one driver (the same driver). Just because someone said they passed others people car on the track, it does not alway mean, their car is faster then others. He might just be a better driver then others !!! Sh#$$t.....i own a Clk 430 with suspension mods and it handling is NOT even close to the stock BMW 3 series !!!!
Are you still harping on this nonsense? Let me make this as clear as possible - The M3 is not a sports car. Period. The CLK is not a sports car. Period. Neither vehicle is a sports car. BMW says it’s not a sports car. BMW says the 3 series is a sports sedan. BMW says the coupe is the two door version of that same sports sedan. Regardless as to what Nissan's advertising crew says, a sedan is not a sports car.

Per the 2005 BMW M3 Press Kit:

On page 3, in the “History of the M3” section of the press kit, BMW refers to the M3 as a “2-door sedan”. Their words, not mine. The same press kit, on page 21, it says “The Coupe is of the same basic construction as the 3 Series Sedan. . . “ That's an exact quote.

Do yourself a favor and don't ask for magazine quotes. I’m about the last person you want to start diggin up quotes from car magazines. I can get a writer, who has an article published in the current issue of a "car magazine", to state it for you in plain English, on this forum. I'm telling you in advance, you won't care for the quote.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
wtf r utalking about?
ill be the 1st to say that a m3 is faster and more enjoyable to drive than any clk(not dtm). neither the clk or m3 are sports cars, sorry to break it to u. a clk55 is faster than a m3 in a straight line, thats it, it doesnt pull better skidpad or slalom times, i agree. both cars are too heavy to be real sports cars, the old m3 was a real sports car (e30). the m3 is more sporty and performance oriented than any clk (not dtm), i said that in the 1st place. believe me i know how much driver skill matters, i kill much faster cars in teh corners on a weekly basis (i live in beverly hills, we have lots of people w/ very fast cars but no idea of how to drive them). my 528i handled better than my clk.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:06 AM

2008 E63 AMG
I think this discussion is about the definition of a sports car, and it seems that it is discretionary...

I can tell you that compared to my Escalade, the CLK55 is a world class sports car....

In ANY event, it is certainly a sports sedan, as is the M3, so quit arguing if it is or is not a "sports car". You may continue to argue until your fingers fall of as to which one is preferable TO YOU, but I already know that answer, I vote with my wallet......But understand there is a quite often dramatic difference between your opinion and someone elses. And we are now talking about opinion, nothing more...
Old 12-09-2005, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The sports car thing is a dumb arguement! Is the new M6 considered a sports car? How about the viper and new Z06? Thought I'd throw a lil controversy in there.

AMG_55 did you read Speedy Benz's last reply to your comments?

Like I said his car clocks E46 E36 M3's on the track and would certainly annihilate your CLK55 regardless of how much Mario Andretti you feel you have in your soul. Just be careful on them damn canyons.

You're better off testing your skills on the track so that you won't take a 10,000 ft rocky plunge! Be careful!!

Last edited by ProjectC55; 12-09-2005 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:02 PM

AMG C43, 1999
Please keep in mind when I speak of suspension upgrades, shocks and springs I am talking about spring rates over twice as stiff as the stock AMG rates and Penske shocks that are adjustable for both compression and rebound, with compression adjustment done on a remote canister.

This setup is so far advanced from a stock AMG setup. It would be like comparing a SUV to Corvette. So I can understand why you will have a hard time coming to grips with the difference between a stock CLK 55 and a BMW with a set of stock shocks or Bilstein PS9? But the difference is there and I can take full advantage of it. I am equally sure that a BMW setup with Penske shocks or Moton's could/would handle as well also. It is just not many have taken the time to set thier car up to have really good camber control and keep the tires flat to the pavement.

Just my two cents.

Jeff
Old 12-12-2005, 03:36 AM

E46 M3 CSL
Hi Speedy, are there any radical mods for the rear of the W208`s suspension. I would like to convert to coil over, can the lower arm then be lightened or simplified. Has anyone got any pictures or a drawing of the rear suspension. I do not have a car yet remember, I am doing my homework first. This is a mental challenge first, there again everything is for me, and maybe put it into practice. The price of the CLK 55 AMG as a base car is realistic, it just depends how good I could get the suspension set, and the weight of the car down. It might be nice to fit a half cage, weight up!!!, would a full cage interfere with air bags?
It has been great to hear everyone`s comments.
Cheers, Jon
Old 12-13-2005, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by beckswheels
Hi Speedy, are there any radical mods for the rear of the W208`s suspension. I would like to convert to coil over, can the lower arm then be lightened or simplified. Has anyone got any pictures or a drawing of the rear suspension. I do not have a car yet remember, I am doing my homework first. This is a mental challenge first, there again everything is for me, and maybe put it into practice. The price of the CLK 55 AMG as a base car is realistic, it just depends how good I could get the suspension set, and the weight of the car down. It might be nice to fit a half cage, weight up!!!, would a full cage interfere with air bags?
It has been great to hear everyone`s comments.
Cheers, Jon
I've never seen coilovers on a Mercedes five link rear. I don't know that the mounting point for the rear shock can support the weight of the car. If not, the chassis would probably have to be modified to hold a damper in the existing spring perch. That sounds like a fair amount of work. You may wish to examine the rear suspension for the W208 DTM. Here’s a photo of a CLK rear on a stand.

Attached Thumbnails CLK 55 AMG trackday car-rentwreck.jpg  
Old 12-13-2005, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by beckswheels
Has anyone used a CLK 55 AMG on the track. I was thinking of getting one, probably a W208 over here in the UK. I want to give it the DTM look and strip it out to reduce weight, and put bigger brakes on. Is the auto gearbox too much of a limo setup for track use. Could paddle shift be fitted? What bigger brakes will go on from other AMGs or is it the AP route? Is the car too heavy for throwing around even. Any feedback is welcome. I thought this car might be a challenge to do. I am fully conversant with track use and fast cars, but I have never had a fast merc. I have at present a BMW M3 CSL, could the merc better it in performance? Many thanks.
You should ask Speedybenz if his suspension kit (with Penske shocks) will work for the W208 CLK55....I've been reading about the magnificent handling qualities on his C43.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Chappy
You should ask Speedybenz if his suspension kit (with Penske shocks) will work for the W208 CLK55....I've been reading about the magnificent handling qualities on his C43.
It should work Chappy.The suspension on the W208 CLK55 and C43 are almost identical.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:14 PM

E46 M3 CSL
Clk Dtm

Saw the DTM road car about 6 weeks ago and was very impressed, the photos just do not do it justice. On the other hand, I stumbled across an SLR locally and I was quite unimpressed, looked like a large plastic model. I like it in the photos, so I will stick to that, no not literally!

If there is a CLK DTM owner that actually drives one, It would be great to hear some feedback.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:56 PM
ON PROBATION

CLK DTM runs on the track like a demon-in-heat. Perfect balance. Perfect mechanicals. It is much faster than its appearance would indicate. And yes it is perfectly suited for the road too.
Car was built from the ground up as a race car by Mercedes' DTM race shop. They did use a gutted CLK in the build. No one, apart from a race shop, is going to be able to build a CLK DTM clone.
But that shouldn't discourage anyone from doing-up a track car.....
Old 12-28-2005, 04:08 PM

silver 2002 c32 amg
hey beckswheels nice to see another brit on the forum and local as well

FYI a good source for any tuning/handling mods on mercedes would be mercedes performance (01923 897007) they should be able to give you a good idea about whats available
Old 12-28-2005, 05:23 PM

Not that anyone's spoken about it, but mark my words. Mercedes Benz WILL win the F1 championship this coming year. In fact BWM wasn't even seen in the top 5 (2005 season). Hmmmmmmm......ultimate driving machine?
Old 12-29-2005, 04:51 AM

E46 M3 CSL
Hi ClayJ, were you speaking from personal experience about the CLK DTM, and if so are there any negatives? What is the gearbox, sorry transmission like, as it is taking me some getting my head round the 5 speed slushbox????
There are a few cars for sale in the UK, probably bought as investments, and with delivery miles. Temptation or what?

I did see that there was one used on the Gumball or 3000 Rally or something like that, might have done quite well. Does anyone know the chap and how the car held up?
Old 12-29-2005, 09:51 AM
ON PROBATION

There are a couple of guys on this forum who do the Gumball, they may have met the guy....
CLK DTM is perfect mechanically, on the track, on the road. Still has the 5-speed but Shifts are lightning quick. I think that they reprogrammed or did something different to the transmisssion, ESP, and ASR on this car as they are all different than on 'regular' AMG cars. Maybe it just seems taht way because the rest of this car is so different, but I don't think so, because the difference is too great.
You have to realize that the back seats have been stripped-out and there is cross-bracing behind the front seats, it has racing buckets in it, the door panels are bare CF, etc -- the thing is a stripped-down trackcar. But the interior is still very nice, very MBZ.
If you have the money you should seriously consider buying one -- and Britain is one of the best places to find one currently. And of course if you were to look at one you would have to be able to test drive it for your evaluation, say at Silverstone(!)
They really did a nice job on this car -- not as exotic or *****-to-the-wall as the CLK GTR, but definately awesome, spectacular, and quite smooth and liveable at the same time. It is a very nicely done car.
I haven't seen or driven one of the newer CLK DTM Cab's yet, but they have rear seating! Trackday for four, anyone?

Last edited by ClayJ; 12-29-2005 at 09:53 AM.