CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

I'm in love

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E350
I'm in love

Following is a post I made a couple days ago on another forum... since then I found MBWorld which is a LOT more active, and figured I'd repost here.

---------------------
As of Saturday night, I am the proud owner of a triple black 2002 CLK55 AMG Convertible. I can sum it up in three words...

WHAT A CAR!!!

Shoot, I've driven 911's, I've driven M3's, I've driven XK's... the jags have lots of style, the 911's have their precision, the M3's have their amazing roadfeel, but nothing... nothing... can touch this car when it comes to the overall package, how it conducts itself with so much CLASS. It's not any specific element of the car, instead it's the sum of its parts, which in this case is a whole lot more. A WHOLE lot.

Funny thing is, I've enjoyed it a couple days then put it back in the dealer for a due bill which included an alignment. I noticed when I test drove it that it was pulling a bit and there was this shake of the wheel at certain speeds. I've been loving every minute until this morning, but just a couple hours ago I got it back after the alignment was done and oh, MAN! I knew I was losing a bit because it wasn't perfect with the alignment slightly off, but now that it IS perfect, the experience trascends the boundaries of this world. I can't stop thinking about it. I think I'm in danger of becoming obssessed.

And let me tell you something. I don't care what the idiot reviewers in car magazines say. There is a huge difference between the regular CLK's and the AMG version. HUGE. It's like the same car from a different planet. Sure, the price difference is severe, but I drove a CLK500 before I got this baby and while CLK500 is nice, I had the same reaction to it that I did to the last 911 I drove: really nice, I could see myself driving one for a while, but it wasn't earth shattering. Same with the last XK8 I tried. But this AMG car... I mean, wow. Just amazing.

What can I say? I always thought Benzes were for old farts. Either I've become an old fart or I've just discovered a secret that few seem to really know - the secret of AMG. They somehow got this one right - the perfect compromise of power, feel, comfort, style and panache. I can't wait to drive this baby around for the next 4 years - and I can't wait for the next AMG I'm gonna buy.

Wow.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
Originally Posted by lightnng
I had the same reaction to it that I did to the last 911 I drove: really nice, I could see myself driving one for a while, but it wasn't earth shattering.
Don't be too sure until you try the 997TT. THAT is earth shattering.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:03 AM

2014 E350
Originally Posted by TA-9FF
Don't be too sure until you try the 997TT. THAT is earth shattering.
I'm sure it is. Heck, since this is the cab, even a WRX STI will kick its butt. It wasn't the speed for me, or any other particular thing; it's the sum of its parts that makes this car earth shattering to me. I just can't think of any other car that suits me so well. I hope that clears it
Old 04-14-2006, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
I'm sure it is. Heck, since this is the cab, even a WRX STI will kick its butt. It wasn't the speed for me, or any other particular thing; it's the sum of its parts that makes this car earth shattering to me. I just can't think of any other car that suits me so well. I hope that clears it
Haha I know what you mean man.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Following is a post I made a couple days ago on another forum... since then I found MBWorld which is a LOT more active, and figured I'd repost here.

---------------------
As of Saturday night, I am the proud owner of a triple black 2002 CLK55 AMG Convertible. I can sum it up in three words...

WHAT A CAR!!!

Shoot, I've driven 911's, I've driven M3's, I've driven XK's... the jags have lots of style, the 911's have their precision, the M3's have their amazing roadfeel, but nothing... nothing... can touch this car when it comes to the overall package, how it conducts itself with so much CLASS. It's not any specific element of the car, instead it's the sum of its parts, which in this case is a whole lot more. A WHOLE lot.

Funny thing is, I've enjoyed it a couple days then put it back in the dealer for a due bill which included an alignment. I noticed when I test drove it that it was pulling a bit and there was this shake of the wheel at certain speeds. I've been loving every minute until this morning, but just a couple hours ago I got it back after the alignment was done and oh, MAN! I knew I was losing a bit because it wasn't perfect with the alignment slightly off, but now that it IS perfect, the experience trascends the boundaries of this world. I can't stop thinking about it. I think I'm in danger of becoming obssessed.

And let me tell you something. I don't care what the idiot reviewers in car magazines say. There is a huge difference between the regular CLK's and the AMG version. HUGE. It's like the same car from a different planet. Sure, the price difference is severe, but I drove a CLK500 before I got this baby and while CLK500 is nice, I had the same reaction to it that I did to the last 911 I drove: really nice, I could see myself driving one for a while, but it wasn't earth shattering. Same with the last XK8 I tried. But this AMG car... I mean, wow. Just amazing.

What can I say? I always thought Benzes were for old farts. Either I've become an old fart or I've just discovered a secret that few seem to really know - the secret of AMG. They somehow got this one right - the perfect compromise of power, feel, comfort, style and panache. I can't wait to drive this baby around for the next 4 years - and I can't wait for the next AMG I'm gonna buy.

Wow.

Congrats and welcome

Make sure you register over on the AMG Private Lounge as well...

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/privatel...n_external.php
Old 04-14-2006, 09:42 AM

2005 CLK55
I agree with you man I love this car. I always have been upgrading cars every 3-4 years. Now it will be much tougher to upgrade
Old 04-14-2006, 02:07 PM

'06 C230, '02 CLK55 (sold)

Hey man whats with this "even a WRX STI..." I loved my STi Not as nice as the 55 but it was a snot rocket 3rd fastest car made in 2004...
Old 04-14-2006, 03:42 PM

2014 E350
Originally Posted by Chappy
Congrats and welcome

Make sure you register over on the AMG Private Lounge as well...

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/privatel...n_external.php

Just did, thanks for the link!
Old 04-14-2006, 03:43 PM

2014 E350
Originally Posted by whitepony
Hey man whats with this "even a WRX STI..." I loved my STi Not as nice as the 55 but it was a snot rocket 3rd fastest car made in 2004...

I guess I AM an old fart then

Actually, the STI is a great car, no doubt, but it doesn't have the class of this AMG. For me, it's not just speed, or power, or handling - it's the whole package. And the CLK55 just seems to have been designed with me in mind
Old 04-18-2006, 02:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK55 Cabriolet (DEAD: 1989 300E, 1984 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible)
Since we have the same exact car (*triple* black tho? I'm trying to picture that ... black exterior, black ragtop, black *upholstry?* Not even sure I've ever seen such a thing ... mine's got the blueish/greyish interior) I can totally relate

I drive a 1989 300E as my daily "beater" and I still enjoy it ... obviously it has no real get-up-and-go but after having lived with it for so long it just makes me appreciate how well-engineered and solid Mercedes-Benz automobiles are. My mother willed me her 1984 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz convertible and the thing is a hideous tank (sorry Mom ) compared to even the 300E. It just feels like a bucket o' bolts held together with chewing gum and a ball of wax (and don't even get me started on what it's like over freeway dips ... remember studying "damped oscillation" in Physics? lol ).

I took mine in today and am leaving it for a couple of days (turned out I was missing 4 pixels on the shifter grid display so they're gonna replace the whole instrument panel - thank you warranty), so I'm driving a C230 loaner ... even that car feels pretty decent and I've always been a "Get a real Mercedes, son" type when it came to a C class, lol

Anyway - enjoy the new ride ... nothin' like a W208 AMG
Old 04-18-2006, 11:19 PM

2014 E350
Originally Posted by Riot Nrrrd
Since we have the same exact car (*triple* black tho? I'm trying to picture that ... black exterior, black ragtop, black *upholstry?* Not even sure I've ever seen such a thing ... mine's got the blueish/greyish interior) I can totally relate

[...]

Anyway - enjoy the new ride ... nothin' like a W208 AMG
Yup, the car is ALL black. It's a designo edition, apparently, or so the code says in the Mercedes service records. It's actually pretty awesome in my own very personal and not so unbiased opinion
Old 04-19-2006, 12:35 AM

W208 55 & R170 230
ta-9ff: I agree man., the video alone amazed me, how much efford those guys put in to the 997tt.. the video of it is WAYYYY outstanding already...