CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Clk Vs M3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it can keep up with it but not beat it!?! They are all nice cars though
Old 06-06-2006, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203, W211, W219, W212
i have windows media player 10 and can't see anything. should i open it with something else ?
Old 06-07-2006, 08:07 PM
Almost a Member!

M3
Not trying to be mean to anyone, but a 350z or g35 is not even in the same galaxy as an m3. I ran a few and it was an absolute slaughter. Completely ran away from those cars.

Most will agree a stock clk55 and stock m3 smg is a drivers race. But I have seen some m3's out launch and keep a 1-1.5 car lead to the 1/4. Im sure there have been cases for the exact opposite. But on the freeway at speeds above 120mph these cars can real us in and slowly pull. No doubt!

I would love to run any stock clk55 or c55 for myself. Everytime I see one im not in my car or there traveling the other way.. They are both great cars, If anyone is in the orange county area and would like to have a little spirited race for fun. Let me know. I am a huge fan of ///M series and AMG. Have nothing but respect fot this forum.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by OUTLAW///M3 SMG
Not trying to be mean to anyone, but a 350z or g35 is not even in the same galaxy as an m3. I ran a few and it was an absolute slaughter. Completely ran away from those cars.

Most will agree a stock clk55 and stock m3 smg is a drivers race. But I have seen some m3's out launch and keep a 1-1.5 car lead to the 1/4. Im sure there have been cases for the exact opposite. But on the freeway at speeds above 120mph these cars can real us in and slowly pull. No doubt!

I would love to run any stock clk55 or c55 for myself. Everytime I see one im not in my car or there traveling the other way.. They are both great cars, If anyone is in the orange county area and would like to have a little spirited race for fun. Let me know. I am a huge fan of ///M series and AMG. Have nothing but respect fot this forum.
Hey, wow, a BMW dude who doesn't bag on AMGs, lol...what a concept!!

Seriously, great to hear there are some cool M-fans here...we get so many trolls, it isn't even funny. Just thought I'd say hi...have fun, and welcome to the forum!
Old 06-08-2006, 12:00 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 clk55
this was the decision of decisions for me...i test drove the m3 and w209 clk55 several times before i decided on the clk55.

the two cars are not really comparable...totally different design goals. the m3 is a fantastic car, handles like dream and is a lot of fun to drive. the clk55 is a fantastic car, handles well enough without sacrificing luxury, and is a lot of fun to drive.

i ended up going for the clk55...1. you dont see many w209 clk55s on the road whereas i see several m3 a day. 2. torque

ive never owned a car that is SOO much fun to drive...and fill up with gas.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:19 AM
Almost a Member!

M3
Originally Posted by Improviz
Hey, wow, a BMW dude who doesn't bag on AMGs, lol...what a concept!!

Seriously, great to hear there are some cool M-fans here...we get so many trolls, it isn't even funny. Just thought I'd say hi...have fun, and welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the warm welcome Imporviz, Im happy to be here.

I think the AMG line is more polished and refined, Very plush interior, And undeniable straight line acceleration. The ///M series are more of a drivers luxury brand, sharp handling, lots of cool gadgets, raw performance but still refined and conservative enough for daily driving. I love uber AMG's!! I was actually torn between the e55 and the m3. I ended up going with my car because it just had the brawny good looks I desired. But my stable mate for the ///M will likely be a cls55 or cls63.

Cheers fella's!
Old 06-08-2006, 03:23 AM

2013 G63, 2015 S500, 2016 C63 coupe
///M and AMG to me are the same. Both reputable tunning companies.

I'm adding an M5 to our garage of S550 and SL500. Would love to own an AMG oneday though. Maybe a ML63 or R63 when I have kids.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by BlackSL

I'm adding an M5 to our garage of S550 and SL500. Would love to own an AMG oneday though. Maybe a ML63 or R63 when I have kids.
OK Daddy! I'm waiting for my R63
Old 06-09-2006, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BlackSL
///M and AMG to me are the same. Both reputable tunning companies.

Slightly different philosophies, but they're both great at what they do...

Sounds like a nice garage
Old 06-10-2006, 02:52 AM

The cars that are being compared should not even be talked about in the same sentence. The M3 is way superior to the 350z and the g35 coupe. M3 beats them so bad it seems like its a crime. I have a 2006 CLk350 an I have raced 2005 350z and 2006 G35 sedan. I have been told that the 350z's performance is similar to the g35 coupe. From standstill they pull ahead alittle but after 40mph I gain on them so bad that they cant catch up. 2006 CLK350 is said to go from 0-60 in 6.4 seconds but sometimes I think its faster but never timed myself. I have driven a 350z and the engine screams annoyingly. My CLK is so quiet even at high RPMs, It doesnt scream it roars. Sounds so much better than 350z and G35. The Z and the G35 might be alittle fast off the line but once I pass 40 they are left behind.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:33 AM

W209 CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by KillerCLK
The cars that are being compared should not even be talked about in the same sentence. The M3 is way superior to the 350z and the g35 coupe. M3 beats them so bad it seems like its a crime. I have a 2006 CLk350 an I have raced 2005 350z and 2006 G35 sedan. I have been told that the 350z's performance is similar to the g35 coupe. From standstill they pull ahead alittle but after 40mph I gain on them so bad that they cant catch up. 2006 CLK350 is said to go from 0-60 in 6.4 seconds but sometimes I think its faster but never timed myself. I have driven a 350z and the engine screams annoyingly. My CLK is so quiet even at high RPMs, It doesnt scream it roars. Sounds so much better than 350z and G35. The Z and the G35 might be alittle fast off the line but once I pass 40 they are left behind.
You guys are funny. You're right, the CLK 55 AMG will walk all over a 350 Z even off the line. Just not the M3 not even above 40 mph. The G35 coupe has the same motor as the 350Z but has a lower horse power rating and is also heavier.

I drove my 350Z for 3 years, every day. I showed the M3 no mercy when doing my test drive and I'm sorry, it didn't even come close performance wise except in the handling department.

The CLK55 AMG on the other hand was far superior (as I would expect).

The M3 is a beautiful car and performs well. It just wasn't worth the money to me from a performance stand point. I love everything about the car (except the granny shifter), but it's over priced, and when I'm stepping out of a 30k + sprorts car into a 60k + sports car I'd expect to experience a highly noticable improvement in performance. I didn't. And I'm not going to buy a "performance" car just because it looks good. You have no idea how much I wanted the M3 (based on it's looks) until I drove it.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:27 AM

2003 Ford F350-gone 2002 Mercedes C200 Kompressor 1998 Suzuki Vitara 1995 Mercedes C180-sold
Although I was unfortunate enough not to download the link, I can assure no 320 would even come close to an m3. Anyone who has driven both would agree there is no competition between the two. The M3 Is a supercar in every respect, comanding respect. She has deceptive power and a seductive note. The balance and precision of this car....Awsome. Having been in a F355 F1, I'm confident the M3 would be a close race, although initial take off of the SMG ever so slighty suffers. To compare the M3 to the Ferrari would be a closer comparison than to compare it to an MB. The M3 cannot be driven slow, it thumps its gear changes in anticipation, and auto mode.....a joke! These are a drivers car. Mercedes Benz are typically a slow heavy car, that when pushed will perform, handle and brake enourmosly. I have driven AMG's, In particular, the bi turbo V-12, Amazing performance, that if you couldn't see the instrument panel, you wouldnt believe how fast you were going. As for the whole 350z crap...They are designed to be compared with WRX's, Evo's etc....once again...chalk and cheese. A long time ago I was a passenger in a 300zx TT.....although far from a standard 300zx tt, this car was up there with the fastest cars i had been in. It was also to this day, one of the scariest cars too. Having driven, owned and smashed Mb's, and M3's, I can assure my loyalty still remains with the silver star as i prefere the slow solid and secure feel of the mercedesas apsoed to the, I can do 200kays here, I'm Fangio, feel of the Bm's, and I would never stoop so low as to even try and compare the cheap feel of the Nissan....

Thankyou for your time, and I hope any criticism come from respected owners of such cars and not those who have memorised wheels and road and track.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:53 PM

06 Z06
Originally Posted by bixby
You guys are funny. You're right, the CLK 55 AMG will walk all over a 350 Z even off the line. Just not the M3 not even above 40 mph. The G35 coupe has the same motor as the 350Z but has a lower horse power rating and is also heavier.

I drove my 350Z for 3 years, every day. I showed the M3 no mercy when doing my test drive and I'm sorry, it didn't even come close performance wise except in the handling department.

The CLK55 AMG on the other hand was far superior (as I would expect).

The M3 is a beautiful car and performs well. It just wasn't worth the money to me from a performance stand point. I love everything about the car (except the granny shifter), but it's over priced, and when I'm stepping out of a 30k + sprorts car into a 60k + sports car I'd expect to experience a highly noticable improvement in performance. I didn't. And I'm not going to buy a "performance" car just because it looks good. You have no idea how much I wanted the M3 (based on it's looks) until I drove it.
I've owned two M3s in the past which ran dead even with my Ferrari 355. My buddy owns a 350Z which feels significantly slower. Corners fairly well. Seat of the pants can always be wrong though. And from looking online at most published acceleration times it looks like the Z runs a 0-60 time of just under 6 seconds. The M3s run mid 4s. The QT is about 14 seconds and the M3 is about 13.3-13.5. That's quite big difference. How is it that you think Zs outperfomr them. I mena the M3 and the M5 are the only four seater sedans even near the top of the list for Neurburgring times. There's very good reason for that. I don't see a 350Z near them.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:41 PM

W209 CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by 355Spider
I've owned two M3s in the past which ran dead even with my Ferrari 355. My buddy owns a 350Z which feels significantly slower. Corners fairly well. Seat of the pants can always be wrong though. And from looking online at most published acceleration times it looks like the Z runs a 0-60 time of just under 6 seconds. The M3s run mid 4s. The QT is about 14 seconds and the M3 is about 13.3-13.5. That's quite big difference. How is it that you think Zs outperfomr them. I mena the M3 and the M5 are the only four seater sedans even near the top of the list for Neurburgring times. There's very good reason for that. I don't see a 350Z near them.
All I'm saying is it felt like it did. I realize the M3 has more power and quicker 0-60 & 1/4 times. It just didn't feel like it did. Had I driven an M3 for 3 yrs then stepped into a Z maybe it would of been different. Maybe I was expecting to much from the M3. I wanted one badly, I knew the spec's when I went to the dealership yet when I got behnd the wheel I was hugely disapointed. It didn't feel anything like I expected or hoped.

I still love the cars looks but I love the AMG's looks AND performance.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:33 PM

06 Z06
All I'm saying is it felt like it did. I realize the M3 has more power and quicker 0-60 & 1/4 times. It just didn't feel like it did. Had I driven an M3 for 3 yrs then stepped into a Z maybe it would of been different. Maybe I was expecting to much from the M3. I wanted one badly, I knew the spec's when I went to the dealership yet when I got behnd the wheel I was hugely disapointed. It didn't feel anything like I expected or hoped.

I still love the cars looks but I love the AMG's looks AND performance.
Yeah when you build something up in your mind you can often be dissapointed. I guess that's why they say to never meet your heroes.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:20 PM

2002M3
Don't get me wrong I love the M3 and actually went to the BMW dealership specifically to purchase the 06. After driving it I just couldn't make myself give up that much performance. The 350Z at nearly half the price was superior in handling, quickness and much, much better throttle response. Not to mention the short throw compared to the "granny" shifter in the BMW.
Are you sure??? There's no way the 350Z as fast as an M3!
Old 06-20-2006, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01' CLK55
Originally Posted by vivianlove
Are you sure??? There's no way the 350Z as fast as an M3!
EXACTLY!!! how can you say that the 350Z is "quicker" than the M3? stock on stock, the 350z is a dog. I've owned a 05' 350Z.....it's more comparable to my old E36M3 than it is a E46M3.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:00 PM

W209 CLK55 AMG
2006 M3 isn't worth 30k more than the 350Z. All I'm stating is my experience. The Z felt quicker, tighter in the turns and was a lot more fun to drive to me!.

Like I said before, had I stepped out of an M3 after 3 yrs into a 350Z, perhaps It would have been different.

And regardless of stats or performance facts the M3 isn't worth that much more money than the Z regardless of interior qualities, performace differences or anything else you can throw out there. Your simply paying big bucks to have a "BMW" "M3" vehicle that performs well and is basically a status symbol.

Granted the AMG is considered a status sym as well but it at least hands down out performs the 350Z and the M3.

No regrets, I love my AMG!
Old 06-20-2006, 07:06 PM

W209 CLK63 AMG Vert
2006 M3 isn't worth 30k more than the 350Z. All I'm stating is my experience. The Z felt quicker, tighter in the turns and was a lot more fun to drive to me!.

Like I said before, had I stepped out of an M3 after 3 yrs into a 350Z, perhaps It would have been different.

And regardless of stats or performance facts the M3 isn't worth that much more money than the Z regardless of interior qualities, performace differences or anything else you can throw out there. Your simply paying big bucks to have a "BMW" "M3" vehicle that performs well and is basically a status symbol.

Granted the AMG is considered a status sym as well but it at least hands down out performs the 350Z and the M3.

Ummmm, the CLK55 is about as equal as it comes with the E46 M3. It might be slightly (if that) faster in a straight line, but it can't handle the twisties as well.

I just sold my '05 E46 M3. Now I'm driving an '03 CLK55. Two very different cars, but very similar in performance.

As for the value of the E46 M3, I'd say it's worth every penny of it's full MSRP compared to the CLK55's original MSRP (don't they go for like $80 grand brand new?? that's totally insane....I paid $60k out the door for my E46 M3 Competition package, whereas I just picked up this '03 CLK55 for $40k out the door--talk about some bad depreciation!).
Old 06-20-2006, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW

Again I go back to my statement you have never even been or driven in an M3. No offense to 350z owners the M3 makes the 350z look like a joke.

What you are saying its like saying a CLK55 isn't worth the money over a CLK 350. Just so happens the price difference is about $30 grand, with the AMG you get a lot of things different than a CLK 320. With an M3 compared to a standard 330CI you get a lot of stuff done from the engine/transmission/suspesion ext.

Eh I cant even make an argument on what you said because its so stupid and implies to me that again you have never driven an M3. It would be like me saying the new S class is crap and not worth the money over an E class. When I have never driven the new S class.

Now to be fair I have never ridden in a 350Z and have no real want to be in one. But I have a friend with a G35 and compared to the M3 its a joke... Not only does the G35 not feel nimble the acceleration is nothing like the M3.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' CLK55

the CLK55 outperforms the M3 hands down, huh? You must have not owned your vehicle for very long.....

Old 06-21-2006, 03:21 PM

W209 CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ

Again I go back to my statement you have never even been or driven in an M3. No offense to 350z owners the M3 makes the 350z look like a joke.

What you are saying its like saying a CLK55 isn't worth the money over a CLK 350. Just so happens the price difference is about $30 grand, with the AMG you get a lot of things different than a CLK 320. With an M3 compared to a standard 330CI you get a lot of stuff done from the engine/transmission/suspesion ext.

Eh I cant even make an argument on what you said because its so stupid and implies to me that again you have never driven an M3. It would be like me saying the new S class is crap and not worth the money over an E class. When I have never driven the new S class.

Now to be fair I have never ridden in a 350Z and have no real want to be in one. But I have a friend with a G35 and compared to the M3 its a joke... Not only does the G35 not feel nimble the acceleration is nothing like the M3.
So basically you're calling me a liar?!

I'm simply stating my experience. Why can't you just leave it at that? I chose the CLK55 over the M3 because the M3 didn't feel like it out performed the Z, the CLK did. Period!!!

Note to Moderator: Ban me now please, these guys are a bunch of d!cks and I no longer care to be a member of this forum.... Geez, what a bunch of snobish a$$holes!!!

Last edited by bixby; 06-21-2006 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' CLK55
So basically you're calling me a liar?!

I'm simply stating my experience. Why can't you just leave it at that? I chose the CLK55 over the M3 because the M3 didn't feel like it out performed the Z, the CLK did. Period!!!

Note to Moderator: Ban me now please, these guys are a bunch of d!cks and I no longer care to be a member of this forum.... Geez, what a bunch of snobish a$$holes!!!
to comment on your last 2 sentences.........

it's not about being a d!ck or a snobish a$$hole....it's about knowing what you are talking about. What you are saying is FULL OF *****. you can't even put 350Z and E46 M3 in the same sentence. 2 totally different cars in totally different leagues.

I will again bring up that you stated that the 350Z was "far superior in handling, quickness, and throttle response........"

Any idiot that can state something as ridiculous as that SHOULD BE BANNED on the sole basis of being a FRICKING MORON!!!!!!!
Old 06-22-2006, 12:10 PM

W209 CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by clkal
to comment on your last 2 sentences.........

it's not about being a d!ck or a snobish a$$hole....it's about knowing what you are talking about. What you are saying is FULL OF *****. you can't even put 350Z and E46 M3 in the same sentence. 2 totally different cars in totally different leagues.

I will again bring up that you stated that the 350Z was "far superior in handling, quickness, and throttle response........"

Any idiot that can state something as ridiculous as that SHOULD BE BANNED on the sole basis of being a FRICKING MORON!!!!!!!
I've never once denied the statistics.. Read my posts (if you can comprehend, that is). I've stated my experience, plain and simple. Most who have "chimed in" are simply jumping on the "Band Wagon" and don't have a clue. The M3 FELT LIKE A DOG!!! to ME!!! Geez.. Like I said, pr1cks & a$$holes..................
Old 06-22-2006, 12:23 PM

W209 CLK63 AMG Vert
I've never once denied the statistics.. Read my posts (if you can comprehend, that is). I've stated my experience, plain and simple. Most who have "chimed in" are simply jumping on the "Band Wagon" and don't have a clue. The M3 FELT LIKE A DOG!!! to ME!!! Geez.. Like I said, pr1cks & a$$holes..................
As a relatively unbiased observer, I must say that you're the one coming off as a ***** and an ******* (and an ignorant one at that).

Just drop it--you're wrong, everybody else is right.

The end.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clk Vs M3