CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Anyone Race The Following Vehicles?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL600 by SPEEDRIVEN
Anyone Race The Following Vehicles?

1. Audi S4 (turbo or V8)
  2. BMW M3 and M5 (2000+)
  3. BMW Z4M
  4. Cadillac CTS-V or STS-V
  5. Chrysler 300cSRT-8
  6. Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6
  7. Chrysler/Jeep Cherokee SRT-8
  8. Ford Mustang Cobras
  9. Mitsubishi EVO
  10. Pontiac GTO
  11. Subaru Impreza WRX STI
  12. Porcshe Cayman S
  13. Porsche 911 Carrera or Carrera S

I would be interested in comparisons to the CLK AMGs, as the above cars all have similar 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile times to our cars. I know some of you have or had these cars. I also think our forum would benefit from a link at the top for track times- can we do this? Chappy has some good ones he could post. Thanks in advance.

Allan
Old 06-20-2006, 01:37 PM

W209 CLK63 AMG Vert
I will be posting a video of a race between my current '03 CLK55 amg and my friends '03 E46 M3 soon.

We're pretty much neck and neck from 60-115 mph. The only time I gain ground is when he shifts. I just came out of an '05 M3 competition...I swear the CLK55 "feels" faster, but apparently it's not.

I also was pulled on buy a new 300C SRT-8 the other day from 60-100 mph. I must say I really like those cars.

Edit: You're in Utah? I live in Salt Lake City--we get together all the time with a bunch of car nuts for drives and stuff (mostly BMW's though). Check out www.driveaddictforum.com...

Last edited by bradb1us; 06-20-2006 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Times? I think about about 4th or 5th fastest (that I've seen/know of) on the forums. My best time was 13.349 @ 109.00....bone stock.

Here's an interesting link:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ght=13.349+109

Last edited by Chappy; 06-20-2006 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:07 PM

2005 SL600 by SPEEDRIVEN
Subaru Impreza WRX STI

bradb1us, I saw your post regarding your new car and was going to say hi to a follow SLC AMG owner but forgot. Sorry and Hello. Did you track your M3? You ever make it to the drag strip of Miller's Track Days? I was thinking about hitting the last midnight drag day on 09/22/06 (Friday). Are you at any events before then?

As for me, the day I bought my car I had the opportunity to run against a Subaru Impreza WRX STI driving back from CA. It could not hang at "higher" speeds in 3,4 or 5th gear. It makes sense since there AWD magic is off the line but weaker at top ends. On the other hand, we have 379 LBS of torque to propel our cars.

Chappy, you ever track you car besides the drag strip? Those are good times by the way.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by ashutt
Chappy, you ever track you car besides the drag strip? Those are good times by the way.
Did an autocross once (in this car), but would consider doing a track day with the right crowd.....just don't want newbie drivers around me.

I've done the AMG Challenge using their cars as well.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by Chappy
My best time was 103.349 @ 109.00....bone stock.
Geez Chappy 103.349???? Wanna buy my CLK???
Old 06-20-2006, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by Stiggs
Geez Chappy 103.349???? Wanna buy my CLK???
You faster?
Old 06-20-2006, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by Chappy
You faster?

I was just trying to bust your stones on the typo.

I've never been to the track. Sounds real fun. Of course I would probably get crappy times...then I would cry...and that doesn't sound fun.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by Stiggs

I was just trying to bust your stones on the typo.

I've never been to the track. Sounds real fun. Of course I would probably get crappy times...then I would cry...and that doesn't sound fun.
Stiggs....LOL! You have me cracking up

I've been spaced all afternoon 103!!!

DOH!!

I typed that freakin' 103.349....God's honest truth! Like I said, I spaced this afternoon.

Yes.

The correct time is 13.349 seconds lol...
Old 06-20-2006, 05:15 PM

W209 CLK63 AMG Vert
bradb1us, I saw your post regarding your new car and was going to say hi to a follow SLC AMG owner but forgot. Sorry and Hello. Did you track your M3? You ever make it to the drag strip of Miller's Track Days? I was thinking about hitting the last midnight drag day on 09/22/06 (Friday). Are you at any events before then?

As for me, the day I bought my car I had the opportunity to run against a Subaru Impreza WRX STI driving back from CA. It could not hang at "higher" speeds in 3,4 or 5th gear. It makes sense since there AWD magic is off the line but weaker at top ends. On the other hand, we have 379 LBS of torque to propel our cars.

I tracked the M3 once and I did horribly. I either spun like crazy or bogged off the line. The M3 is no drag car, that is for sure. I cut a 3.6 sixty foot the first time (16.5 @ 99 mph). My lowest was a 14.2 @ 99 mph.

Here's a pic of the M3:

Have you taken your CLK to the track?
Old 06-20-2006, 05:32 PM

2005 SL600 by SPEEDRIVEN
Not been to the track in this car yet. I will wait until it cools off and then on 09/22 try it out. Nice M3 by the way. However, nice trade-up. Any other AMG guys in your club?

Here is a picture of my CLK.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone Race The Following Vehicles?-side1.jpg  

Last edited by ashutt; 06-20-2006 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:52 PM

W209 CLK63 AMG Vert
Not been to the track in this car yet. I will wait until it cools off and then on 09/22 try it out. Nice M3 by the way. However, nice trade-up. Any other AMG guys in your club?

Here is a picture of my CLK.

No other AMG guys in the group--yet. There are several with Audi's/VW's, Porsches, etc...but mostly BMW M3's and M5's.

We go on a lot of fun drives--most of us are older, more mature/successful than your normal ricer club kids...there are several attorneys and other professionals. Our one commonality is cars--we love them.

I just snapped a picture of my car out in front--I'm loving the AMG torque...the only thing it needs is wheels. By the way--if you have a chance, go check out the new 997 turbo down at Strongs Porsche on State Street. It's pretty awesome.

By the way, I wish my car kept the same aggresive looking design as your car had....mine is so bland!

Old 06-20-2006, 06:17 PM

2005 SL600 by SPEEDRIVEN
Very nice. I agree, the cars are two different looks. I am not sure why Mercedes decided to make the CLK look less aggressive and more like a CLS model? In any case it still looks great and packs a punch. I was down at the exotic shop downtown last Friday. They had a few nice cars also. How do I join your group?

Are you going to lower your car?
Old 06-20-2006, 06:34 PM

W209 CLK63 AMG Vert
Very nice. I agree, the cars are two different looks. I am not sure why Mercedes decided to make the CLK look less aggressive and more like a CLS model? In any case it still looks great and packs a punch. I was down at the exotic shop downtown last Friday. They had a few nice cars also. How do I join your group?

Are you going to lower your car?

I'm going to lower it once I get new wheels on (which I'm currently hunting for). There are a couple of good options in the used wheel classifieds here on mbworld, or I'm thinking of going with the group buy on some iForged wheels with a deep lip. I'm just not sure.

My only real complaint with the CLK55 is it's a bit too understated. It seriously lacks an aggresive look--like the older CLK's had. Compared to my M3, the CLK is kind of a dog (exterior design wise). It's almost a requirement to get decent looking wheels on this thing....lol.

Go to www.driveaddictforum.com and you can register to post on the forum. They're all local Utah peeps--great group of guys.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Audi S4 (turbo or V8)- smoked both
BMW M3 and M5 (2000+)- eat m3s for desert, m5 was dead even (i had 3 people, he was alone)
Cadillac CTS-V (smoked, he didnt know how to launch, but i kept pulling anyway)
Corvette C5- smoked from 15-20-- 50-60, dead even 80-125+
Dodge Magnum SRT-8-smoked
Ford Mustang Cobra- got smoked b/c car started in 2nd gear and didnt kick down, it was from a roll. after 30-35 i stayed dead even w/ him, his cobra was modded (it was the newer s/c version)
Mitsubishi EVO- stock killed after 70-80 (search kill stories, i have 3 nice writeups)
Pontiac GTO- drag race dead even (6.0), turns i was all over him (search kill stories)
Subaru Impreza WRX Sti- KILLED
Porsche 911 Carrera (996 c2 and 996turbo)- killed the c2 in a drag and the turbo in the corners

SEARCH kill stories, I have many on many of the cars you have listed
Old 06-21-2006, 05:03 PM

W209 CLK63 AMG Vert
Originally Posted by AMG_55
BMW M3 and M5 (2000+)- eat m3s for desert, m5 was dead even (i had 3 people, he was alone)
Ford Mustang Cobra- got smoked b/c car started in 2nd gear and didnt kick down, it was from a roll. after 30-35 i stayed dead even w/ him, his cobra was modded (it was the newer s/c version)
Mitsubishi EVO- stock killed after 70-80 (search kill stories, i have 3 nice writeups)
Pontiac GTO- drag race dead even (6.0), turns i was all over him (search kill stories)
Porsche 911 Carrera (996 c2 and 996turbo)- killed the c2 in a drag and the turbo in the corners

So essentially, you've never lost?

You realize the 911 Turbo outhandles the CLK55 pretty easily, right?

Were all of these from a stop? If so--you're probably a better driver than all these people. I'll be posting up some videos shortly of some highway runs against an E46 M3 and an E39 M5. I think you'd be surprised at the outcomes....
Old 06-23-2006, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by bradb1us
So essentially, you've never lost?

You realize the 911 Turbo outhandles the CLK55 pretty easily, right?

Were all of these from a stop? If so--you're probably a better driver than all these people. I'll be posting up some videos shortly of some highway runs against an E46 M3 and an E39 M5. I think you'd be surprised at the outcomes....
the only time i remember that i lost (recently) was against a cl55k, on the 405, we were cutting through traffic and he was on my ***, i lost him a little, but not enough, when there were no more cars around he moved over and blew past me , i could do anything. we caught up to some traffic and i caught up with him and stayed on his ***.

they werent all from a stop, im not going to go into detail. search them, there are many in kill stories that i posted, some are very nice writeups.

BTW, its not the car, its the driver. high performance cars have such high limits that most (99.9%) would never get close to them if their life depended on it, i have gotten close and past the limit.
im not saying that my clk is faster than a turbo, its not even close. i was able to push my car more and get closer to the limit and that was enough to beat him.
i also beat a 360 stradale in a series of corners on sunset blvd. at first he didnt want to race and i kept him. so he decied to punch it. after about 3 corners i lined him up and passed on the outside. i kinda felt bad, cause he spent 200+k on his sports car and i had 2 people with me in luxury and comfort

i have never lost a fair(no traffic obstructions, cutting each other off, not letting the other pass, blocking......) race in the corners
Old 06-24-2006, 03:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo

Seriously I call BS on nearly all your kills, Why don't you meet up w/me and run my 2005 C6 I'll leave you like you were sitting at the bus stop!

Sorry but I've ran a few of the cars on your list that you say you easily smoked and I guarantee my stock C6 that only has CAI, will eat your ride alive please oh please take my challenge all meant in friendly terms don't get my statements twisted, yes there derogatory but I'm a good sport & mean no harm I just can't believe your post so whatdya say??
I'm out in LA very often we could meet anywhere you choose shoot me a pm I'll give you my cell.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by Thericker
Seriously I call BS on nearly all your kills, Why don't you meet up w/me and run my 2005 C6 I'll leave you like you were sitting at the bus stop!

Sorry but I've ran a few of the cars on your list that you say you easily smoked and I guarantee my stock C6 that only has CAI, will eat your ride alive please oh please take my challenge all meant in friendly terms don't get my statements twisted, yes there derogatory but I'm a good sport & mean no harm I just can't believe your post so whatdya say??
I'm out in LA very often we could meet anywhere you choose shoot me a pm I'll give you my cell.
your c6 will smoke every car on that list (excl. turbo) in a straight up drag race. it will also smoke my car in a drag race. i dont really like drag racing but im down to drag race if ud like, ill bring my moms e55. i would love to run u through a canyon in my car though. drag racing takes no skill, just deep wallets.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
  1. Audi S4 (turbo or V8)
  2. BMW M3 and M5 (2000+)
  3. Ford Mustang Cobras
  4. Mitsubishi EVO
  5. Pontiac GTO
  6. Subaru Impreza WRX STI
  7. Porsche 911 Carrera or Carrera S
I've edited the list to contain all of the vehicles I've run.

Audi S4, Subaru WRX STi, and EVO are alll AWD cars. Their tested 1/4 times are due more to the ultra traction of AWD than their having power parity with ours: you can rev the motor up to 4-5K and dump the clutch, and they'll take off like a scalded dog...so off the line, *if* you come up against someone who knows what he's doing, they'll get you, but once rolling you'll run them down. From a roll, you would pull them easily (if they're stock).

Cobras: the non-SC'd cars are easy. The SC'd cars, well, it depends. I ran one for a bit over a 1/4 mile and we were pretty even, but came across another what was heavily modded and he stomped he good.

BMW M3: only time I ever lost to one is when I'd driven through some water and spun hopelessly, while he hooked up nicely (THANKS, Mercedes, for SCREWING US OUT OF LIMITED SLIP DIFFS!! ). In every other case, I've pulled them, normally by 2-3 lengths, sometimes a bit more as speeds grow. E39 M5's are definitely faster, particularly from a roll, but I've been pleasantly surprised in that I haven't lost to any of them either.

GTO: only one run, from a roll, pulled him. Not sure which version, but likely the 385 horse version, although could have been 400 horse if he was an auto, given that (much to my surprise) I pulled a 4-speed auto C6 4/4 times a few weeks ago (I wouldn't expect the same results with a 6-speed C6!!)

Porsche 911s: similar to AWDs in that their 1/4 times reflect the high traction they gain from having the engine parked over the wheels; from a roll they're not as fast as you would think, although the brand new ones would, I would think, pull us from a roll (haven't run one yet). The old ones (up to this newest version) I woud usually pull, but had some of them seem to stay more even, although this could have been more due to differences in when we got on it.

In fact, this is a key point: in any given street (or track) run, in cars that are as close as these, the time at which you stomp on it relative to the other driver will be THE key factor. Let's suppose you have two cars which will run the 1/4 under ideal conditions dead even, but one driver reacts 0.5 more slowly than the other. Result: he'll win by around 4-5 carlengths, simply by virtue of reaction time. Or, if one car is 0.5 faster than the other, but the slower car reacts 0.5 seconds more quickly, it's a tie--even though the faster car will, eventually, overtake him.

The same is true in a rolling-start race, and, given that the odds of both of you will stomp it at exactly the same time are about nil, will generally be the deciding factor, unless someone screws up and misses (or mistimes) a shift, or forgets to shift and bounces off the rev limiter like an idiot (which, of course, I would nver do ), starts in the wrong gear, etc...

Last edited by Improviz; 06-24-2006 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
In a pig's *** you would....you would win if you're a good driver in all likelihood assuming you're a six speed, but the '03 CLK55 has been tested at 4.5 seconds 0-60--the same magazine tested the six-speed C6 at 4.3 seconds 0-60 just this month. This translates to a few carlengths, and that assumes that you can launch and shift your car like Larry Webster--with all the consistency of an automatic, each and every time.

And a more-telling number, the rolling-start 5-60 test which shows how the cars scoot once hooked up, is even more telling: the CLK55 did it in 4.6 to the C6's 5.0. An earlier C6 test got 5.1 seconds in the 5-60 run.

The C6 is a great car, and the best bang-for-the buck in sports-car-land right now, but don't underestimate AMGs. Unless you're a robot who launches and shifts perfectly, each time and every time, you're not going to do as well as you think--and even under the best circumstances, you'd win by no more than 4-5 lengths against a competent CLK55 driver.

Last edited by Improviz; 06-24-2006 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by Improviz
In a pig's *** you would....you would win if you're a good driver in all likelihood assuming you're a six speed, but the '03 CLK55 has been tested at 4.5 seconds 0-60--the same magazine tested the six-speed C6 at 4.3 seconds 0-60 just this month. This translates to a few carlengths, and that assumes that you can launch and shift your car like Larry Webster--with all the consistency of an automatic, each and every time.

And a more-telling number, the rolling-start 5-60 test which shows how the cars scoot once hooked up, is even more telling: the CLK55 did it in 4.6 to the C6's 5.0. An earlier C6 test got 5.1 seconds in the 5-60 run.

The C6 is a great car, and the best bang-for-the buck in sports-car-land right now, but don't underestimate AMGs. Unless you're a robot who launches and shifts perfectly, each time and every time, you're not going to do as well as you think--and even under the best circumstances, you'd win by no more than 4-5 lengths against a competent CLK55 driver.
You sound like a heavily skilled "Magazine Racer" & "In a pigs eye" are your lil 55's runin 4.5 0-60" If you wanna quote magizine stats I've seen the C6 0-60 at 4.1...
Anyhow I don't wish to make this thread a who's better AMG'S or Vettes?
I said earlier I'd love to run the other guy, and still will but....You need to run me PRONTO you see I have an A4 and trust me it's way quicker than 4.5 to 60 please tell me you live in the LA area also.

I'd love to see you try an repeat your suposed 4/4 beating the C6 A4 hahahahah pull this leg it plays jingle bells man

Last edited by Thericker; 06-24-2006 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
your c6 will smoke every car on that list (excl. turbo) in a straight up drag race. it will also smoke my car in a drag race. i dont really like drag racing but im down to drag race if ud like, ill bring my moms e55. i would love to run u through a canyon in my car though. drag racing takes no skill, just deep wallets.
Hey I'll run whatever? I like your attitude, Yes I think your moms E55k? will beat me but let's do it! 1st though why not take out your CLK55 so I can show everybody here what the C6 can do straight line or freeway roll-ons = BUS LENGTHS on the CLK I mean don't forget I only weigh 3100-3200lbs w/400/400

Anyhow yeah shoot me a pm should be lots o' fun thanks for not taking my words the wrong way!
Old 06-24-2006, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Improviz.... CLK55 = 500lbs heavier than the C6 & 40 less hp 25 less torque Just the weight diff alone you!
Old 06-24-2006, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Improviz.... CLK55 = 500lbs heavier than the C6 & 40 less hp 25 less torque Just the weight diff alone you!
there is no question that a stock c6 auto or a well driven manual will kill/murder/.... a clk55, it will destroy it

but im down to race, for comparison purposes

r u down for a canyon run?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone Race The Following Vehicles?