CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

New MB CLK55 AMG owner questions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 GL450
Question New MB CLK55 AMG owner questions?

Just wondering if anybody plays with their car?
Do you put your car on the track?
Have you ever run in Open Road Racing?
1/4-mile runs?
I haven't found allot of modifications available for the CLK55 AMG.
(I guess it's already done?)
I would like to make some minor changes:
Anybody know where I can get the chrome bezel for the shift plate?
Chrome Head Light rings?
And any wheel changes you can recommend would be appreciated.
The dealer told me not to change the wheels to 18", some rubbing problems.
Anybody heard of this?
I'd liked to lower this car, what are my options?
Thanks,
Tim
Old 08-26-2002, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
I got my rings on ebay and they were OE parts. Do a search for "clk headlight rings" because there is a set for sale now.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:58 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Timster

Here's what you need to do as far as mods. Not really sure how much your budget is but i'll just throw everything in...

Get a Kleemann Suspension which will lower your car just about right and then as far as wheels if you want something light you can probably get BBS LM's (you can get these from Peter @ www.wheelexperts.com).

And if you think the AMG 5.5 motor is simply not enough get a Kleemann kompressor!! So when you do track it or 1/4 that should do the trick!

Hope this helps.!
Old 08-26-2002, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
...and more Timster (I am keeping mine STOCK):

RENNTech

http://www.renntechmercedes.com/

RENNTech, Inc. is owned and
managed by Hartmut Feyhl -
widely recognized as the
nation's foremost expert on
Mercedes-Benz high
performance. Born in
Affalterbach, Germany, he
spent twelve years at AMG
Germany before being
appointed Technical Director of AMG North America.
Old 08-29-2002, 03:01 PM

So what if Farthill stayed 30 years at AMG, these German engineers, have no fantasy what so ever, just look at KLEEMANN
kompressor, it twice as good as the AMG 55 system.
Old 08-29-2002, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally posted by Lucas
So what if Farthill stayed 30 years at AMG, these German engineers, have no fantasy what so ever, just look at KLEEMANN

What
Old 08-30-2002, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Originally posted by Lucas
That statement from a "sales director" is laughable!

He he must be selling cheese in Denmark and -- hiding in its holes most of the time.

Obviously, he never heard of Werner von Braun!
Old 08-31-2002, 01:33 PM

CLK55
as far as ....

as far as 1/4 mile - with traction control on you can do 13.7 / 13.8 all day long - just stomp it and let ESP save your rear off the line (because you WILL break the tires lose). My trap speeds were always about 107 so with a perfect launch you should be able to do 13.4-13.5

That is with K&N drop ins which are by far the best bang for the buck upgrade. I did back to back dyno runs and was picking up torque all over - as much as 12 lb/ft at the wheels (so extrapolate that to the fly and maybe 390 lb ft?

biggest issue is traction - 245 in the rear stock, 265 as an upgrade with 18s w/o rolling the fender - which sucks considering the E55 has 275 standard and IMHO why they always have better times for a heavier car. the clk55 just can't get the power down

that said once you are rolling and plant your right foot I think the CLK is damn impressive for a slushbox

switch out the spring pads or go with the stock pads and H&R springs (for the 55) - american cars are set too high....

ummm I guess those are my comments!

shell
13.7 @ 107

ps - look on this forum - I think there is a K&N thread that has my dyno numbers.... waiting for texas to cool off to more 1/4 mile runs....
Old 08-31-2002, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GL450
Re: as far as ....

Originally posted by bodyart27
as far as 1/4 mile - with traction control on you can do 13.7 / 13.8 all day long - just stomp it and let ESP save your rear off the line (because you WILL break the tires lose). My trap speeds were always about 107 so with a perfect launch you should be able to do 13.4-13.5

That is with K&N drop ins which are by far the best bang for the buck upgrade. I did back to back dyno runs and was picking up torque all over - as much as 12 lb/ft at the wheels (so extrapolate that to the fly and maybe 390 lb ft?

biggest issue is traction - 245 in the rear stock, 265 as an upgrade with 18s w/o rolling the fender - which sucks considering the E55 has 275 standard and IMHO why they always have better times for a heavier car. the clk55 just can't get the power down

that said once you are rolling and plant your right foot I think the CLK is damn impressive for a slushbox

switch out the spring pads or go with the stock pads and H&R springs (for the 55) - american cars are set too high....

ummm I guess those are my comments!

shell
13.7 @ 107

ps - look on this forum - I think there is a K&N thread that has my dyno numbers.... waiting for texas to cool off to more 1/4 mile runs....
Good info!
As far as the K&N goes, your talking about just replacing the stock airfilters with exact size K&N's?
I wasn't sure if there was a new intake kit availible with dual K&N airfilters.

Thanks,
Tim
Old 09-02-2002, 08:51 AM

CLK55
drop ins

I believe they are part # 33-2183 - you will need two (2) qty
Old 09-02-2002, 02:37 PM
Almost a Member!

Timster-good to see you over here. I can't remember whether you leased or purchased your 55, but be careful of dumping too much into the car for mods if you bought it as resale on this car sucks right now (check out my thread).

This board gets so much more traffic than the 911 boards, but you get a lot of trollers like the roadfly board.

I got the August issue of European Car today (has three TTs on the front) and they have an article on the Kleeman (?) supercharged 55. You should check it out.
Old 09-02-2002, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GL450
Thanks for the info!
I bought it, I don't lease cars it doesn't work for me.
I'm learning new stuff everyday.
I don't expect to ever make money on a car. It's a hobby. I like nice cars. All used cars prices are plummeting. Due to the manufactures incentives on new cars. I bought this car to drive it. So far I’ve got 1100 miles on and I’m just looking for reasons to take it for a ride.
Tim
Old 09-02-2002, 06:52 PM
Almost a Member!

How do you like it now that you have put some miles on? I got rid of my CLK 55 because, well, I wanted something faster and more exclusive given the fact that I don't get to spend a whole lot of time driving (no commuting for me). I love my 911 Turbo, but I know why you were disappointed in yours.

Many people told me before I sold my CLK that a lot of people thought it was the ultimate daily driver and I do miss it (really fast, great handling, loved the seats and other amenities on the 55), but I didn't need both cars.

It is really unfortunate about the new body style and I think you made a good choice in getting the 208 as in a few years, I think it will be a very desirable car on resale (even if it is soft now). A lot of people got burned on reselling 996s and I think that will happen with the new CLK body style.
Old 09-02-2002, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GL450
So far I'm very happy with the CLK55 AMG. If fits my needs.
The 996TT was one of my dream cars. Now that I've had it, I have fulfilled one of my dreams. The 996TT and CLK55 are completely different vehicles. Even though I was truly disappointed in the 996TT, it is a very special car.

The two cars have some similarities,

1. Very few people have any idea what they are, other than it's a Porsche or an MB.

2. The manufactures made very few of both these cars.

3. Both cars are fast, in there own realm.

The MB is very comfortable. I enjoy driving it. I do wish that there were more aftermarket items available. I'm finding new stuff every day.

Talk to ya soon,
Tim