CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Installantion of 275/40/17 M/T Drag Radials

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 08:00 AM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
Installantion of 275/40/17 M/T Drag Radials

I've been working on fitting M/T 275/40/17" Drag Radials under the rear my 03 CLK 5.5 AMG , for the Oct 8th meet at MIR.. So far I've machined 8 MM off the hub on a Vertical Mill to move the offset inward. It is close everywhere!! Not a Job for the light hearted, Tire width at it's widest point , side wall is 10 & 7/8th".. Last year I lower the Car an inch with Kleemann Springs. So tire contact was an issue I needed to deal with.

So far I've had to work on the rear subframe Mount flange , believe it or not , it sticks out into the wheel well opening. but is hidened by the plastic wheel well covering. That cover is held in place with selftapping Style screws spot welded to the inter body panels. They protrude outward toward the tire , the covering fits over the sharp screws , then there is a plastic washernut that screws onto the screws. ANY rubbing or contact to those screws will tear up your side walls. So I cut them off , drilled out the weld area & installed S.S. Flange nuts , Found some S.S. button head cap screws to hold the plastic wheel well cover.
Attached Thumbnails Installantion of 275/40/17 M/T Drag Radials-mvc-013f.jpg  

Last edited by PTE; 07-27-2007 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none
Wow. From what I understand the 208 rear tubs are very close to the 202's in size and shape. I had a hard time getting 255/40/17's on mine so I'm really impressed with getting those in there. I had to remove alot of material from the fender lips that join the lower door panel and the rear bumper(the non-rolled sections). I then had the edges re-sprayed for obvious reasons.

On mine the upper and inner clearance was just close enough but when the rear end would squat under acceleration the lower part of the fenders where those lips protruded got really messed up the first time I did. The AMG upper lips are rolled. I was lucky to save it when I did. Could have bent the fenders and cost some coin $$.

Playing with camber at all in order to make room here or there?? Rim width is also something that would have helped. I had mine on a 8.5in rim where a 9.5 would have fit better because it would have pulled more of the tire inwards.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
I made 285 street and 275 R-Comp Nitto NT-01 tires fit on a W203 C32. It took hours and hours of fender bending, lip rolling, paint heating, and mallet smashing to make it work. When done the whole rear fender was re-shaped and the car had an official wide body kit from all the messaging.

It can be done but it will take a whole bunch of work not to rub.

The good thing is that a pass down the drag strip wont have much suspension movement where as driving at the track (road course) has the wheel moving throughout the entire travel range.

If I had a video of SMGC32 and my self making these tires fit, the car nuts of the group would cry. It was a total joke. People kept walking by shaking their heads at the tire shop because to guys were whaling away on a Mercedes Benz with a mallet to the point of the car wiggling on the lift.

Tires did fit though (with some grinding and work =) )

Also got 255's in the front but that required re-painting the fenders after fully rolling and pulling the fender outwards about 1/2 an inch or more.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:38 PM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
275/40/17 M/T drag Radials

Well I guess I'm kinda Lucky. Between The Mill and The South bend lathe and a 32oz dead blow hammer. I got it setup , with out working over the fender flares. Itwas easier for me to set the OEM double spoke wheels in the mill on a Rotary table and change the off set . of course My neighbor thinks I'm NUTS to take an $80,000 doller car apart with only 12,000 miles on it , beat it with a hammer & body dolly. But he has seen me in action before. You really cann't tell I've moved the weld seams . When I first tried the fitment with the 30 mm offset wheels the tire thread was at the edge of the fender flare and I had a 1" space between the interfender panel & shock. Now the tire thread is inside the fender & I have 1/2" clearance between the shock & the Tire. I'm getting serious on this MIR meeting . I'll be all throttle , no bottle Happy motoring ___PTE___
Attached Thumbnails Installantion of 275/40/17 M/T Drag Radials-mvc-014f.jpg   Installantion of 275/40/17 M/T Drag Radials-mvc-015f.jpg  

Last edited by PTE; 07-27-2007 at 06:52 PM.