CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

New Member: Getting a CLK55 - Have Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2007 | 10:17 PM

your mom
New Member: Getting a CLK55 - Have Questions

Hello Everyone,

I am about a week away from finalizing a deal on a 2003 CLK55 (Silver with black leather, nav). The car has 54,000 miles. I am getting it for around $27-28,000 through a friend of a friend.

I'm going to have it checked out by Mercedes, but I wanted to know if there were any specific things/issues to look out for. Also, are there any major scheduled maintenances coming up? I looked long and hard and couldn't find the schedule for the 55.

Hopefully I'll have my car soon, I'll be sure to post pictures as long as the deal goes though.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-21-2007 | 11:07 PM

2001 CLK55
Hey AOG, cool handle.

I'm a newbie too. Just bought an 01' CLK55 with 50,000 miles about 3 weeks ago and received the service records from the previous owner in the mail today. The thing that jumped out at me was having both transmission and motor mounts replaced the week before I picked up the car. Along with some other misc. maintenance the tab came to over $4K. I got an extended warranty to 85,000 miles in the deal so I'm not real concerned about repairs but I've owned a lot of hot cars, and I never had to have the motor mounts replaced.

Something to look out for I guess?
Old 08-21-2007 | 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
Normal wear items at this stage will include:
  • Both motor mounts
  • Trans mount
  • Brake light switch (if it's the same as a W208)
  • Differential side seals
  • Flex dics
  • Catalytic converters
The cats need to be replaced when the ceramic cores separate from the metal shells. You can tell they're bad when they rattle just off idle. If you're under 8 years and 80,000 miles, the dealer will replace them for free. If not, and it's on your nickel, you may want to use aftermarket metal substrate cats. They're less expensive, flow better, and will last longer.

I'd ask the owner to supply a VMI. If the 2003 has a Valeo radiator, I'd replace it immediately.

IHTH
Old 08-22-2007 | 12:28 AM

your mom
Hey thanks, I'm a little put off by the mileage but it seems like a very very good deal. I'm setting up the inspection by Mercedes tomorrow, I'll tell them to look out for those items especially.
Old 08-22-2007 | 12:52 AM

2001 CLK55
Marcus, let me ask you a question.

Why are motor/trans mounts considered "normal wear"? I have an idea why these need replacing, but it wouldnt be under what I consider normal conditions. Thanks.

G
Old 08-22-2007 | 01:25 PM

1996 C36 (Gone but not forgotten), 2004 CLK55, 2008 911 C2S
There was a recall a year or so ago, concerning the alternator/power regulator. Make sure your car got the recall work done, or didn't need it.
http://www.amgpower.com/phpBB3/viewt...&sd=a&start=36

And yes, if it has the Valeo radiator, GET IT REPLACED...NOW. My experiences (and the technical service bulletin about it) here:
http://www.amgpower.com/phpBB3/viewt...&sd=a&start=39
Old 08-22-2007 | 02:23 PM
Zal

2001 CLK55
Originally Posted by MarcusF
Normal wear items at this stage will include:
  • Both motor mounts
  • Trans mount
  • Brake light switch (if it's the same as a W208)
  • Differential side seals
  • Flex dics
  • Catalytic converters
The cats need to be replaced when the ceramic cores separate from the metal shells. You can tell they're bad when they rattle just off idle. If you're under 8 years and 80,000 miles, the dealer will replace them for free. If not, and it's on your nickel, you may want to use aftermarket metal substrate cats. They're less expensive, flow better, and will last longer.

I'd ask the owner to supply a VMI. If the 2003 has a Valeo radiator, I'd replace it immediately.

IHTH
Another question for the Gurus..

What other service do you recommend in addition to having the parts you mention checked. E.g. I know the recommendation to have the transmission fluid flushed.

I am fixing to take the car to get a check up of the components you mention, and would like to know what other stuff to get done/checked. Car has 50K mi, W208 CLK55, and not used as a daily driver, just for long distance driving..

Also planning on joining folks at the AMGFest in Louisana, so any additional checks recommended before a "gentle" driving event like that would be appreciated..
Old 08-22-2007 | 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Man the prices have really fallen huh? Its a great car for $27K.
Old 08-22-2007 | 10:45 PM

your mom
Originally Posted by Stiggs
Man the prices have really fallen huh? Its a great car for $27K.
I wasn't even considering these when I was car shopping. I have been looking for a E46 M3 since May but everyone selling theirs GROSSLY overestimates what their cars are worth. I'm not about to plop down $31k on a 60,000 mile 2002 M3 just because it has rims.

Hell, I see people asking $38-40k for 2003 M3's...ridiculous

Is there any way to get the radiator done as a recall? If not, how much am I looking at to get it replaced? I DEFINITELY don't want to risk transmission damage so it will be the first thing I do when I get the car.
Old 08-23-2007 | 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by Ghenghis
Marcus, let me ask you a question.

Why are motor/trans mounts considered "normal wear"? I have an idea why these need replacing, but it wouldnt be under what I consider normal conditions. Thanks.

G
Our cars have liquid filled motor mounts, which have always been considered normal wear. When the motor mounts leak, they sag. *I believe*, if the car is continually driven with sagging motor mounts, that puts additional strain on the trans mount. It's definitely at an odd angle when the motor mounts sag. I believe that odd angle is what kills the trans mount. In that light, maybe the trans mount is exactly normal wear, but on many cars, they have to be done. My trans mount has never been replaced, but both motor mounts were done a few months ago. Trans mounts are dirt cheap. Less than $25.
Old 08-23-2007 | 12:18 AM
Almost a Member!

2001 CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by Act of God
I wasn't even considering these when I was car shopping. I have been looking for a E46 M3 since May but everyone selling theirs GROSSLY overestimates what their cars are worth. I'm not about to plop down $31k on a 60,000 mile 2002 M3 just because it has rims.

Is there any way to get the radiator done as a recall? If not, how much am I looking at to get it replaced? I DEFINITELY don't want to risk transmission damage so it will be the first thing I do when I get the car.
so true man!!! I was shopping for an M3 (E46) for few month and just gave up. They are so ridiculously overpriced! I ended up getting a 2001 CLK55 AMG...
Old 08-23-2007 | 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430

According to Duval Motor Cars (a Florida dealer who sells parts over the Internet), a factory radiator for a 2003 CLK55 has a list price of $344, and they sell them for $268. I'd pay the $344 at my local dealer, rather than pay for shipping and hope it doesn't get damaged. Although, with my Mercedes-Benz Club of America discount, my local dealer probably sells the radiator for $268 or less.

That's the FIRST thing I'd recommend - joining MBCA. My discounts on parts & service more than pay for my membership fee.
Old 08-23-2007 | 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by Zal
Also planning on joining folks at the AMGFest in Louisana, so any additional checks recommended before a "gentle" driving event like that would be appreciated..
You'll be getting this by email shortly as well....

DRIVER SAFETY
____ Helmet – Snell M or SA2000 or newer rating
_____ Closed toe rubber soled shoes
_____ Long Pants (non-synthetic fiber)
_____ Long sleeve shirt (non-synthetic fiber)

VEHICLE INTERIOR
_____ All loose items, including floor mats, removed
_____ Interior rear view mirror intact
_____ Seat belts operable and in good condition
_____ Pedals in good condition
_____ Brake pedal firm
_____ Emergency brake operational

VEHICLE EXTERIOR
_____ Body panels secure
_____ No cracked glass in windows
_____ Side mirror(s) intact
_____ Windshield wipers operational
_____ Gas cap secure

WHEELS & TIRES
_____ Straight and round, no visible damage
_____ Valve stems intact
_____ All lug nuts in place and torqued
_____ Tires – no cords or structure material exposed
_____ Tires – no visible patches, blisters or bulges
_____ Tire pressures
_____ Center caps removed

ENGINE AREA
_____ Battery tied down and secure
_____ Battery cables and posts tight
_____ Oil level full
_____ No visible signs of oil leakage
_____ Coolant level full
_____ No visible signs of coolant leakage
_____ All belts in good condition
_____ All hoses in good condition
_____ All hoses secure
_____ All lines secure
_____ All fluid reservoirs capped and secure
_____ Throttle linkage
_____ Hood and deck lids secure

BRAKES
_____ Brake fluid full
_____ Brakes recently bled
_____ Sufficient brake pads – 3/16” minimum
_____ Brake light operational

SUSPENSION & GEARS
_____ Steering linkage
_____ Tie rods secure with no play
_____ Shocks and springs in place and secure
_____ Brushings intact and tight
Old 08-30-2007 | 06:32 PM

your mom
Car is going into the dealer on Tuesday for the final checkup. The radiator was already replaced around 30k miles, sweeeet. I am test driving the car tomorrow, can't wait to rock the double nickel
Old 08-31-2007 | 02:33 PM

03 CLK 55 AMG, IMCO muffler/Magnaflow tips, KW V1 coilovers, 19" Petrol Metrix Wheels
seriously you will love this car. it has tons of power.
Old 09-01-2007 | 11:03 AM

your mom
I drove it last night, what a ride! The interior is black with maroon-ish inserts. I didn't get to play with the Nav too much, but everything was there...all the bells and whistles.

I loooooove the exhaust note. I've never owned a V8 before so this is very new to me. I can definitely get used to the low end torque.

Hopefully everything will check out on tuesday and I can be in the car by the end of next week.
Old 09-01-2007 | 01:30 PM

CLK 55
I drove it last night, what a ride! The interior is black with maroon-ish inserts. I didn't get to play with the Nav too much, but everything was there...all the bells and whistles.

I loooooove the exhaust note. I've never owned a V8 before so this is very new to me. I can definitely get used to the low end torque.

Hopefully everything will check out on tuesday and I can be in the car by the end of next week.
glad to hear u enjoyed the prelim. run...ur eyes will be poppin out ur head by ur 3rd or 5th take behind the wheel...lol...safe drivin
Old 09-01-2007 | 06:46 PM

your mom
The car is coming up on 50k miles, are there any major services coming up at 50-60k miles?

I tried running a search but I didn't find anything
Old 09-02-2007 | 02:01 PM
RDD

03 M3 coupe 6MT, 05 A6 (wife + kid's)
service B?
trans flush? (I still haven't done mine)
Old 09-02-2007 | 02:52 PM

your mom
No timing belt or anything like that? I know the E46 BMW's have a major 60k service that costs like $1,500
Old 09-03-2007 | 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
No timing belts, the M113 uses chains. At the 5 year mark, which is where the car is now, it needs plugs. They have a 5 year/100,000 mile lifespan. You may want to ask the dealer service writer about a price on the plugs.

The dealer's final assessment (which I assume to be a PPI for you, not the seller) should include what services are due, how much brake pad/rotor life are left, paint depth, condition of normal wear suspension components (struts, shocks, bushings, alignment, etc.), all electronics, cooling system, HVAC systems, complete drivetrain, interior, and exterior (esp. corrosion).

Lastly, I typically don't like the dealer who services the car, to perform the PPI. IHTH
Old 09-03-2007 | 04:45 PM

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupé
Ihth?
Old 09-03-2007 | 06:28 PM

03 CLK 55 AMG, IMCO muffler/Magnaflow tips, KW V1 coilovers, 19" Petrol Metrix Wheels
if you think the exhaust sounds good now put a two chamber muffler on and then take a listen. you will get a deeper and throatier tone.
Old 09-18-2007 | 06:52 PM

your mom
Just got the car, and it is wonderful. My only question is...is there any way to stop the steering wheel and seat from moving back to the original positions when you stop the car?

It seems like something that would go sooner than later, plus it makes a creaking noise (steering wheel) when it goes back. I'd rather it just stay where I decided to put it!

Secondly, where do you put drinks? My center console has some weird phone attachment thing on it. Under it is all wires and some other crap I didn't recognize. Seems like there is no room to put "stuff" there...

Also, are there any scans of the owner's manual? Mine came with literally nothing in the glove box.
Old 09-18-2007 | 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Chg the tranny fluid and tranny filter ASAP as well. This is a must do with these trannies.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Member: Getting a CLK55 - Have Questions