CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

AMG posers

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
You obviously didn't read the thread there are a decent number of reasons why...
Old 05-13-2013, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS550
I'm going to say what I have to say, and I don't care if I'm universally hated. There are issues with both sides of the argument.

First. Ctravis595. Big guy, I admire for the engine transplant because I myself don't have the foggiest idea of what to do. Put the engine in front of me and I wouldn't know my own anterior from my posterior. Having said that, the cranium doesn't belong in the posterior. I'm being hard on you because it's been explained again and again, and you refuse to listen. I know it isn't because you don't understand because I'm sure you do. You can't possibly be that thick.

Take the average dude and dress him like a king. Give him the wealth of a king. Transplant his organ with that of a king. It does not make him a king. Similarly, even if you were to strip your car completely and change everything in your car inside and out to that of an AMG model, it will never be an AMG.

Having said that, I don't know why you are so occupied with having to justify yourself. It is your car bought with you money. Slap on V12 Biturbos if you like to. How about DTM and GTR badges as well. The funny part is that you mentioned you bought the badge but haven't even applied it yet. So, why all the hoopla? Either stick it on because you want to and don't give a flying ___ what all these egos think, or throw the badge away/sell it.

For the rest of you, it is a car. Nothing more. Anybody who places so much value on the branding of a car ought to do some soul searching and/or undergo psychological counseling. The problem is inconsistency in the argument. The mantra in this forum has been "No Engine, No Badge." Someone even bothered to make some sign/poster and its even on Google. Well, Mr. Ctravis595 here meets that standard, doesn't he? He has the engine, so by that logic, he has qualified for the badge.

Sorry but it is Mercedes-Benz that is the final arbiter of what constitutes an AMG. The VIN number says AMG, you are admitted to the AMG owners' list. If the VIN isn't AMG, then you won't, even if you successfully transplant a CLK GTR engine with eight superchargers and eight turbos.

My dealership manager told me that if I wire transferred in the $165+K for the new CL600, he will not only call it a Black Series if I want to, but he may even call me skinny and good looking (which I am most definitely not) if I'd like. Money talks, and BS walks (pardon the abbreviation connection to Black Series). There are customers that make the specific order... Put on that AMG badge. Or I'm going to another dealer that will. And the AMG badge goes on within 5 minutes.

As for myself, when I finally get my CLK63 (not a Black Series.. and the last car wasn't problem free from a history standpoint and so I didn't pick it up), it will be de-badged. [Edit: I changed my mind. I will badge it as a CLK200, without the Kompressor badge]. Not because I'm a poser. Not because I want a "sleeper." Quite to the contrary, I'm tired being prompted to take on Corvettes, Mustangs, M3s, S4s, Camaros, etc. I like minding my own business and enjoying my car, not having to explain that I'm not petrified of some V6 Mustang or some fart-can Civic. I'm not scared of a Toyota Prius (yes, those have tried to take on my cars) and not slower than Hyundai Triburons. My friend recently had that problem. It's ok if he lost his new M6 to the police. He had to bail out his wife from the slammer. All because of some juvenile toads who egged on the M6, not to say that the moron of a woman wasn't ultimately at fault with the 95 in a 55. And the CLK63 is going to be my wife's car.

OK. End of rant. Sorry that I went off the deep end.

Last edited by iyeoh; 05-13-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 138 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
Originally Posted by iyeoh
I'm going to say what I have to say, and I don't care if I'm universally hated. There are issues with both sides of the argument.

First. Ctravis595. Big guy, I admire for the engine transplant because I myself don't have the foggiest idea of what to do. Put the engine in front of me and I wouldn't know my own anterior from my posterior. Having said that, the cranium doesn't belong in the posterior. I'm being hard on you because it's been explained again and again, and you refuse to listen. I know it isn't because you don't understand because I'm sure you do. You can't possibly be that thick.

Take the average dude and dress him like a king. Give him the wealth of a king. Transplant his organ with that of a king. It does not make him a king. Similarly, even if you were to strip your car completely and change everything in your car inside and out to that of an AMG model, it will never be an AMG.

Having said that, I don't know why you are so occupied with having to justify yourself. It is your car bought with you money. Slap on V12 Biturbos if you like to. How about DTM and GTR badges as well. The funny part is that you mentioned you bought the badge but haven't even applied it yet. So, why all the hoopla? Either stick it on because you want to and don't give a flying ___ what all these egos think, or throw the badge away/sell it.

For the rest of you, it is a car. Nothing more. Anybody who places so much value on the branding of a car ought to do some soul searching and/or undergo psychological counseling. The problem is inconsistency in the argument. The mantra in this forum has been "No Engine, No Badge." Someone even bothered to make some sign/poster and its even on Google. Well, Mr. Ctravis595 here meets that standard, doesn't he? He has the engine, so by that logic, he has qualified for the badge.

Sorry but it is Mercedes-Benz that is the final arbiter of what constitutes an AMG. The VIN number says AMG, you are admitted to the AMG owners' list. If the VIN isn't AMG, then you won't, even if you successfully transplant a CLK GTR engine with eight superchargers and eight turbos.

My dealership manager told me that if I wire transferred in the $165+K for the new CL600, he will not only call it a Black Series if I want to, but he may even call me skinny and good looking (which I am most definitely not) if I'd like. Money talks, and BS walks (pardon the abbreviation connection to Black Series). There are customers that make the specific order... Put on that AMG badge. Or I'm going to another dealer that will. And the AMG badge goes on within 5 minutes.

As for myself, when I finally get my CLK63 (not a Black Series.. and the last car wasn't problem free from a history standpoint and so I didn't pick it up), it will be de-badged. [Edit: I changed my mind. I will badge it as a CLK200, without the Kompressor badge]. Not because I'm a poser. Not because I want a "sleeper." Quite to the contrary, I'm tired being prompted to take on Corvettes, Mustangs, M3s, S4s, Camaros, etc. I like minding my own business and enjoying my car, not having to explain that I'm not petrified of some V6 Mustang or some fart-can Civic. I'm not scared of a Toyota Prius (yes, those have tried to take on my cars) and not slower than Hyundai Triburons. My friend recently had that problem. It's ok if he lost his new M6 to the police. He had to bail out his wife from the slammer. All because of some juvenile toads who egged on the M6, not to say that the moron of a woman wasn't ultimately at fault with the 95 in a 55. And the CLK63 is going to be my wife's car.

OK. End of rant. Sorry that I went off the deep end.
i just haven't put the amg badge on yet because i haven't washed my car yet lol believe me it has absolutely nothing to do with anything said in this thread

and like i've reiterated multiple times (as i can tell you've read the thread) there are numerous individuals here who don't understand the concept of what i did to my car, let alone the differences between a regular mercedes and an amg in the first place. all i wanted to do was clarify what exactly was going on for the mentally inept individuals

i guess my original point being, there's a huge difference between me claiming amg, and some stock v6 benz owner claiming he has a v8 amg. that is the jist of it as i see it

i see your point however. but like my original post states, the differences between my car and the amg version of my car are very few and minor. so to me personally, that's good enough. if it isn't for you then you can suck on my nuts like i said

as for the bickering and arguing, i simply enjoy it. nothing more nothing less. i'm not retarded, i completely understand that i will never meet any of these people in my lifetime. i don't give a **** what the people who know me personally think of me, let alone people thousands of miles away on the internet. maybe i have a twisted sense of having a good time (not maybe, i'm pretty sure i do lol) but hey to each his own right?
Old 05-13-2013, 03:17 PM

CLS550
Ctravis595,

At least we share some viewpoints.

Well, as far as I know, by putting on the badge, you'll join the ranks of about 10% of the Mercedes owners in my neighhborhood, although I understand you live in Florida where it could be a higher proportion. I don't understand what the big deal is. Nobody cares. And those who care know and yawn. And those who want to egg on an AMG will do so regardless of what the AMG has under the hood.

Not to be a wet blanket, folks (and hate on me all you want), but the debate is about an 11 year old car that has a market value of under $20K. Don't mean to be a flipping snob, but outside of the Black Series cars, the most expensive CLKs right now have a market value under $45K, and most CLK55s are worth under $25K. Damn. Even hypercar owners don't bicker half as much when their cars are worth ten to twenty times more.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yeah the more mercedes owners i come across the more i understand why everyone i meet, sees my car and already thinks i have some snot nosed, narcissistic predisposition...i guess a lot of people only want a mercedes because it's merely that. they don't understand the engineering, let alone how any of the parts in their own car work lol. i didn't care for mercedes at all until i went to go check out my w215 and really came to understand what a piece of art these machines are
Old 05-13-2013, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
04 CL55 (sold), 2012 CLS550 (sold), 2014 S550 (sold), 2015 ES300H (DAILY)
Originally Posted by ctravis595
or are you upset that you had to pay a lot more for you to say you had an amg and i can say the same thing and it only cost me around 3500 total? =D

i mean jesus dude, you needed advice on taking off the front grille of the car and you're going to try to tell me about MY engine/tranny swap? get real lmao

https://mbworld.org/forums/cl55-amg-...nt-grille.html

edit: and you have to ask other people how to drive your own car?!!?!?!!? i rest my case dude, i have little interest in trying to get this concept through your skull.....i've made all the points i need to make (numerous times at that) so if you can't grasp the concept then that's on you

https://mbworld.org/forums/cl55-amg-...aunch-car.html
Why would I be upset? I bought an 04 CL55 for a good price and I've loved every second of it.

Besides I had the more pricier supercharged version...you took a sub 10k car and dropped 3500 on a motor to call it a CL55?? LOL. A normal 02 non supercharged CL55 goes for around 15k. I'm glad you saved sOoOoo much money.....

Also, I'm glad you've been digging up my old posts because when I first joined this forum when I was about 19-20 and completely new to the modding world. Especially Mercedes and AMGs. It's a little funny to read them now because I was so clueless back then (luls) but I have nothing to be embarrassed of

If you read my comments I have never said anything bad about your swap. In fact, I dont think anybody in this thread has mentioned anything negative about your swap. The only thing that gets on our nerves is the fact that you keep calling your CL500 a CL55, in the posers thread.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by iyeoh
And those who want to egg on an AMG will do so regardless of what the AMG has under the hood.

this being my main reason behind wanting to put an amg badge on my car. it's what's under the hood that counts. and i'm proud of my amg engine and the fact that i put it in myself. i hope none of my posts came off as offensive to you because that was not my intent. cheers
Old 05-13-2013, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
04 CL55 (sold), 2012 CLS550 (sold), 2014 S550 (sold), 2015 ES300H (DAILY)
this being my main reason behind wanting to put an amg badge on my car. it's what's under the hood that counts. and i'm proud of my amg engine and the fact that i put it in myself. i hope none of my posts came off as offensive to you because that was not my intent. cheers
Okay, I guess I can see how you could put AMG on your car since technically you dropped an AMG engine in it...

but to completely relabel your car as a CL55 AMG... =/
Old 05-13-2013, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by danlnyc
The only thing that gets on our nerves is the fact that you keep calling your CL500 a CL55, in the posers thread.
this just doesn't make sense logically to me. an e320 has a 3.2 liter engine, the cl500 has a 5.0 liter engine, the clk430 has a 4.3 liter engine, the c230 has a 2.3 liter engine, the cl55 has a 5.5 liter engine.....am i missing something here?

i'm not putting a dodge viper engine in my dodge charger and calling it a dodge viper....the model designations specifically refer to the engine displacement....the entry level cl class is nicer than half of the amg's they produced at the time anyways.....i don't see why everyone is getting their panties in a bunch over me calling it an amg when it has the amg parts....

Old 05-13-2013, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by danlnyc
Okay, I guess I can see how you could put AMG on your car since technically you dropped an AMG engine in it...

but to completely relabel your car as a CL55 AMG... =/

i hate to sound redundant and harsh but i literally said, about 3 pages ago "do i have to go through 3 pages of bickering at a time to get people to understand what i'm saying?"

edit; anybody else who wants to argue for 3 pages about my car please get in line, one at a time please

Last edited by ctravis595; 05-13-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

if someone dropped a v12 in their cl500 i'd personally laugh at them if they still called it a 500 just because it doesn't make sense logically
Old 05-13-2013, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

when someone asks about what kind of e class you have, what do you tell them? (no answer needed this question is rhetorical)
Old 05-13-2013, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ahmed
So

Is your car a CL55 AMG or what?

Posted from Mbworld.org App for Android
you're the type of guy who tells girls he's 8 inches long, only to get in bed and they find out you're really a 6. i'm the type of guy who can walk the walk just as well as he talks. just because you're insecure about your shortcomings doesn't make you an authority of anything lmao

explain to me how a modern combustion engine works and i will put my foot in my mouth and never disrespect you again. that my friend is a promise

Last edited by ctravis595; 05-13-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:00 PM

CLS550
Like I said, I have much respect for your engine and transmission work.

The only potential disappointment from me would be if you didn't do whatever you want to do with your car, purchased with your resources and enhanced with your time and effort.

Put floaties on the car and launch it as a boat for all I care. Just enjoy it as it is meant to be enjoyed.

Cheers
Old 05-13-2013, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Why are we still arguing over this...
Old 05-13-2013, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
+ Priceless. Why is this thread still going?
Old 05-13-2013, 08:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03' CL55 AMG
Still not an AMG...
Old 05-13-2013, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A mixture of pleasure and boredom
Old 05-13-2013, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CharlestonN
Still not an AMG...
Still wouldn't know what a limited slip differential does if I didn't spell it out for you :Rolf:
Old 05-13-2013, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Everyone:
LOG OFF.
UNPLUG YOUR FORUM.
LOG IT OFF MAN.
MAKE YOURSELF NOT ONLINE.

Thank you.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Everyone:
LOG OFF.
UNPLUG YOUR FORUM.
LOG IT OFF MAN.
MAKE YOURSELF NOT ONLINE.

Thank you.
Are you possibly insinuating there's more to life than bickering semantics on the Internet? Preposterous....
Old 05-13-2013, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
That and making intentional misuse of some 21st century terms these kids need to be aware of.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That and making intentional misuse of some 21st century terms these kids need to be aware of.
What do you mean? I had no trouble unplugging my forum! I mean if I can do a drivetrain swap I think I know how to unplug my forum....I think....
Old 05-13-2013, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Just log it off dude. Take it and unplug it from being online.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'll make a DIY thread once I figure it out

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: AMG posers