CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Evotech ECU Tune Results for W208 CLK55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2008 | 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by juicee63
Peak hp and torque change daily.

It is definately weather dependant.

In my opinion I believe your dyno results would be identical had the temp on the 2nd dyno been 61-62 degrees.

I would call the dyno shop and have them do SAE corrected #s on both days so you can do a more accurate comparison.

While the new map is loaded it may simply be a matter of teaching the car to run utilizing the new parameter's. And yes you may need to have the ECU redone. Here is an example of why dyno #s are not the entire story.

I went to a dyno day with a buddy, his CLS hit 440, mine hit 408, we lined up outside the shop at a stoplight, light turns green we go full throttle guess what? My car was faster...go figure
yep I would give this a try as well.
Old 03-26-2008 | 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by c32used
Honestly the best bet is stay in touch with Adam and if no resolution then go on here. I have Evotech tune and I did increase hp/tq and I felt it asap in my driving my car after the ECU was re-installed.
Old 03-26-2008 | 01:23 PM
Zal

2001 CLK55
Originally Posted by Chappy
Zal,

Are you still running stock air filters? Bummer on the disappointing results.
Hi chappy. Yes right now I am running stock air filters.
Old 03-26-2008 | 02:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by ProjectC55
Nope. You were able to feel it right away. PLUS the mother board in my ECU has been socketed for me to just plug and play the different chips I have.
Yes you could feel a difference immediately and I will look and post all my dyno sheets. I did'nt have to drive my car some umteen miles to notice anything. You will see when ipost my dynos though that it was not my immagination

The same thing when I upgraded the exh on my car,immeditately you feel and notice the difference.
I agree. First time WOT after my reflash I lit up the rear tires. I wasn't able to do that before. Not very scientific but take it for what it is.
Old 03-26-2008 | 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Smile

Originally Posted by Zal
To truely see the effects of an ECU tune for the CLK55AMG, I did a before and after dyno test. The ECU tune was done by a fellow board member AdamG at EuroElites, who came well recommended on the board.

Between the tests the only change on the car was the ECU tune and about 20 miles driven after the tune (to the dyno facility after a bit of a warm up). Both dyno tests were done on the same machine by the same technician at the same time (9:30AM) though a month apart hence a 10deg difference in ambient temperature.

I have attached the before and after dyno results and a table of the weather conditions.

The net result is a loss in Hp - 288.6 to 281.1 and Torque - 300Ftlbs to 284Ftlbs.

So the question for the knowledgeable folks on the board - would a 10deg temperature difference result in a loss of 10+Hp (assuming no gain from the tune)?

Is this an acceptable result for an ECU tune?
Well if the weather was 10 degrees warmer I can see why the 7.5 hp difference is possible on S/C engines but yours..but I would check other factors too incase there is an issue unknown to your situation. You need to re-dyno again in a week or less with similar weather to see if you have the same or similar or better results. That way you will have a better idea if its more related to the Tune or not.
Old 03-26-2008 | 03:27 PM
Zal

2001 CLK55
Well if the weather was 10 degrees warmer I can see why the 7.5 hp difference is possible on S/C engines but yours..but I would check other factors too incase there is an issue unknown to your situation. You need to re-dyno again in a week or less with similar weather to see if you have the same or similar or better results. That way you will have a better idea if its more related to the Tune or not.
Ok I will dyno again. I am planning on taking it on a long drive this weekend and push the engine abit so will dyno again after. Also just to be clear, I am NOT bashing Adam at all. He has been responsive and I am sure if there was a specific action we could take on the ECU he would help. I suspect a reflash would not make any sense (right?).

I recognize a wealth of experience on this board as is evidenced by the various responses to this thread, so the post is to stimulate discussion and suggestions for me and someone in my situation in the future. Thanks to all for your responses and input. You make this forum valuable.
Old 03-26-2008 | 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by Zal
Ok I will dyno again. I am planning on taking it on a long drive this weekend and push the engine abit so will dyno again after. Also just to be clear, I am NOT bashing Adam at all. He has been responsive and I am sure if there was a specific action we could take on the ECU he would help. I suspect a reflash would not make any sense (right?).

I recognize a wealth of experience on this board as is evidenced by the various responses to this thread, so the post is to stimulate discussion and suggestions for me and someone in my situation in the future. Thanks to all for your responses and input. You make this forum valuable.
I can tell your intention was for info only but if the ECU isn't better on your next dyno then check around incase something else could be hindering you like maybe the fuel filter, plugs,wires
Old 03-26-2008 | 07:53 PM
Zal

2001 CLK55
I can tell your intention was for info only but if the ECU isn't better on your next dyno then check around incase something else could be hindering you like maybe the fuel filter, plugs,wires
Thanks. Well I was focussed on a before and after ECU tune scenario. However the car is due in for a new set of sparkplugs as well next and will have the fuel filter/air filter etc. replaced etc. The car has 50+K miles and is due for a sparkplug replacement shortly.
Old 03-26-2008 | 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by Zal
Thanks. Well I was focussed on a before and after ECU tune scenario. However the car is due in for a new set of sparkplugs as well next and will have the fuel filter/air filter etc. replaced etc. The car has 50+K miles and is due for a sparkplug replacement shortly.
Only change those things cause of regular maintenance not cause I suggested it incase.....I say talk to Adam on the spark plugs you are installing incase they are different then the ones you have now. I do recall prior to sending my ECU to Adam that they asked what sort of Mods I have and it included the plugs also.
Old 03-26-2008 | 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by Addicted2Speed
I am amazed that people still continue to do business with Evotech after like 10 members on this forum had serious problems with their tune

Why risk your car when there are several tuners available with much better reputation, much larger in size, and who have been in business for far longer than Evotech
I think they (EE or Evotech) advertised a money back guarantee to compete with others like PowerChips. The OP might want to remember that. I believe the guarantee is for two weeks or so. Food for thought.
Old 03-26-2008 | 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
First off, I don't want to offend or condemn anyone, but there may factors that I have seen with some of our client's cars.

Now that we are getting older cars with more miles, we have seen various cars not respond like we would like them to, but when we go through the car.... air filters, plugs, IC pump, etc, etc., and get the car straight... the tuning is what we want. I am not saying that there is a problem with the tuning or the car, but its best to take out al the variables. I am sure that Adam wants to do his best for his clients, and hopefully you will get this worked out and your car will come alive!

Good luck......
Old 03-27-2008 | 12:08 AM
Zal

2001 CLK55
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
First off, I don't want to offend or condemn anyone, but there may factors that I have seen with some of our client's cars.

Now that we are getting older cars with more miles, we have seen various cars not respond like we would like them to, but when we go through the car.... air filters, plugs, IC pump, etc, etc., and get the car straight... the tuning is what we want. I am not saying that there is a problem with the tuning or the car, but its best to take out al the variables. I am sure that Adam wants to do his best for his clients, and hopefully you will get this worked out and your car will come alive!

Good luck......
Thanks guys, I Will keep the forum posted on performance changes as I make updates to plugs, air filters, etc. Have added the Fraulein who is the subject of this discussion in my signature..:-)
Old 03-27-2008 | 07:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 ///AMG

Good luck......
I can see that except this car was dynoed before the ECU was sent off and when it came back approximately a few days later I believe. The only thing that could matter would be the IC pump and if that were not working right it would mean FAR less than 10HP.
Old 03-27-2008 | 02:31 PM
Zal

2001 CLK55

Good luck......
I think regardless of the age of the car or the condition of the car, if all other variables are the same the tune is expected to improve HP/TQ right? In this case as I originally posted, all parameters were the same between dynos - there was 20 mi run, same gas in gas tank, shop, machine, technician, time of day etc. Hence I do not think the argument of older cars holds in this case. The dyno was done on an older car, and after 20 miles and an ecu tune, the dyno was redone.
Old 03-27-2008 | 02:34 PM
Zal

2001 CLK55
Originally Posted by Timeless
I think they (EE or Evotech) advertised a money back guarantee to compete with others like PowerChips. The OP might want to remember that. I believe the guarantee is for two weeks or so. Food for thought.
I checked with Adam at Evotech and this is not valid now (or in my case).
Old 03-27-2008 | 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by Zal
I think regardless of the age of the car or the condition of the car, if all other variables are the same the tune is expected to improve HP/TQ right? In this case as I originally posted, all parameters were the same between dynos - there was 20 mi run, same gas in gas tank, shop, machine, technician, time of day etc. Hence I do not think the argument of older cars holds in this case. The dyno was done on an older car, and after 20 miles and an ecu tune, the dyno was redone.
Zal,

Your car is strong....you edged me at the drags last September in Louisiana consistently trapping 1-2 mph and a tenth quicker.

I made up for it on the road course tho....
Old 03-27-2008 | 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
Wait a second, if you've got time slips forget the dyno. Before those electronic guesstimators were available on every corner in the US, HP figures were typically determined by quarter mile trap speeds. Just make another pass at the strip and record your trap speed. Compare it your pre-ECU mod trap speed.

Here's the formula for determining HP based on trap speed:

(.00426 * MPH)^3 * WEIGHT

Some (OK, just me) view this as better than a dyno.

If someone mods an engine. And that mod makes the engine peaky (having a narrower powerband), and the gearing doesn't keep the engine in that powerband, the trap speed will be lowered.

Consequently, if someone performs a mod that lowers peak HP (as recorded on a dyno), but that mod results in a wider usable powerband, the trap speed will be higher.

If someone performs a mod that doesn't change anything, well, lets just say the trap speed doesn't lie too often.
Old 03-27-2008 | 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Valid points - but CONSISTENCY is the key....

My times have been all over the place depending on track location and conditions. I've trapped as low as 104 and as high as 109.

Originally Posted by MarcusF
Wait a second, if you've got time slips forget the dyno. Before those electronic guesstimators were available on every corner in the US, HP figures were typically determined by quarter mile trap speeds. Just make another pass at the strip and record your trap speed. Compare it your pre-ECU mod trap speed.

Here's the formula for determining HP based on trap speed:

(.00426 * MPH)^3 * WEIGHT

Some (OK, just me) view this as better than a dyno.

If someone mods an engine. And that mod makes the engine peaky (having a narrower powerband), and the gearing doesn't keep the engine in that powerband, the trap speed will be lowered.

Consequently, if someone performs a mod that lowers peak HP (as recorded on a dyno), but that mod results in a wider usable powerband, the trap speed will be higher.

If someone performs a mod that doesn't change anything, well, lets just say the trap speed doesn't lie too often.
Old 03-27-2008 | 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by Zal
I checked with Adam at Evotech and this is not valid now (or in my case).
Ouch!
Old 03-27-2008 | 04:34 PM
Zal

2001 CLK55
Zal,

Your car is strong....you edged me at the drags last September in Louisiana consistently trapping 1-2 mph and a tenth quicker.

I made up for it on the road course tho....
Thanks Chappy, you are kind , I had a great time and look forward to doing it again...send wolfgang a message will you..
Old 03-28-2008 | 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by Zal
+1
Old 03-28-2008 | 05:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Zal
Thanks guys, I Will keep the forum posted on performance changes as I make updates to plugs, air filters, etc. Have added the Fraulein who is the subject of this discussion in my signature..:-)
It is best to chg your plugs and wires b4 you dyno your car. It will make a nice difference. It did on my car.
Old 03-28-2008 | 07:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by Zal
Thanks Chappy, you are kind , I had a great time and look forward to doing it again...send wolfgang a message will you..
Saw him last weekend....
Old 03-28-2008 | 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Saw him last weekend....
I wanna piece of that car dude!!!
Old 03-28-2008 | 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by ProjectC55
I wanna piece of that car dude!!!
Who....MOI?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Evotech ECU Tune Results for W208 CLK55