CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Evotech ECU Tune Results for W208 CLK55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2008 | 01:25 PM

2005 SL600 by SPEEDRIVEN
Nevada and Utah only have 91 (93 is not common) octane as well, which is pretty much normal across the US. However, I requested the chip programmer modify the timing maps to increase power which consequently requires that I run a 94/95 octane level to avoid pre-detonation when at WOT.

To acheive a 94 octane level I mix 100 octane (you have to locate a store that sells race gas or get it at the track) with 91 and arrive at 94+. Store octane boosters will not even come close to increasing above 94.

Last edited by ashutt; 05-13-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-13-2008 | 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by ashutt
Something to consider: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...advance+timing. There are so many of these threads on every peformance car forum that I won't even waste our time listing them for review.
Unfortunately, the thread to which you so generously provided the link actually undercuts your argument, as in it people w/stock ECUs reported performance gains from switching from 91 octane to 93 octane gasoline, which if true would support my argument that Mercedes optimizes their ECUs for octane ratings > 91.

Nicely done.

Originally Posted by ashutt
Readers, please don't confuse the stock W208 timing program for "optimal timing" using 91 octane pump gas as the same as an ECU reprogram that advanced the timing a few degrees to produce more output when using a higher octane such as 94 to 100+. The higher octane is needed to avoid knock or pre-detonation so that the timing is not retarded and as a consequence the ECU dialing back the power so that the car is not hurt.

Responders, please do not take us down the path of "no benefit from using a higher octane" when we are talking about using a higher octane than 91when the timing has been advanced.
Readers and responders, please do not accept undocumented, unproven, baseless claims that stock 208 timing *is* optimized to a maximum of 91 octane gasoline when no evidence whatsoever has been presented, by anyone, to prove this claim.

ashutt seems to have some ulterior motive here, don't know if a financial interest is involved or if it's just sheer stubbornness on his part, but clearly he is trying to get people to ignore objective, published facts, and clearly he very actively promoted this chip in both this forum and the W208 CLK forum. I would also point out that, as shown by the threads he started I quoted above, when it served his interests, he was showering me (and wikipedia) with flowery praise, up until I disagreed with him, when suddenly I was magically transformed into a know-nothing, and Wikipedia became worthless.

I, otoh, have no motive other than the airing of objective facts on this matter, in response to which ashutt has resorted to repeated personal attacks, and a refusal to engage in any dissemination of facts supporting his arguments.

The fact is that 93 octane gasoline is widely available in the US, and even higher octane (up to 95) is available outside the US, in Europe, where Mercedes designs and builds their cars. There is no motive for Mercedes not to optimize the timing to octane ratings higher than 91, and again not a shred of proof has been presented that they have done so.

In fact, I invite any and all interested parties to simply contact Mercedes AMG AG and ask them yourselves about this matter.

Last edited by Improviz; 05-13-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-13-2008 | 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by Improviz
Readers and responders, please do not accept undocumented, unproven, baseless claims that stock 208 timing *is* optimized to a maximum of 91 octane gasoline when no evidence whatsoever has been presented, by anyone, to prove this claim.

ashutt seems to have some ulterior motive here, not sure if a financial interest is involved or not, but clearly he is trying to get people to ignore objective, published facts. I would also point out how, as shown by the threads he started I quoted above, when it served his interests, he was showering me (and wikipedia) with flowery praise, up until I disagreed with him, when suddenly I became magically transformed into a know-nothing.

93 octane gasoline is widely available in the US, and higher octane is available outside the US, in Europe, where Mercedes designs and builds their cars. There is no motive for Mercedes not to optimize the timing to octane ratings higher than 91, and again not a shred of proof has been presented that they have.

In fact, I invite any and all interested parties to simply contact Mercedes AMG AG and ask them yourselves about this matter.
I've been told over and over, the damn cars are optimized for 93. Cali cars all limp around with LESS power as a result, not optimal.
Old 05-13-2008 | 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
I've been told over and over, the damn cars are optimized for 93. Cali cars all limp around with LESS power as a result, not optimal.
Yup, it sucks. The most ridiculous thing is some people put 89 or even 87 (both these pig-swill grades have long been outlawed in Europe where our 91 *95euro* is their worst) in the S85. Of all the production engines on the planet, a V10 that spins to 8,250 is the worst place to try and save $3/tank.
Old 05-13-2008 | 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
That's the thing: with antiknock sensors, the way these things work is to simply run as much timing advance as they can without getting detonation. This is a complicated feedback and control system, not some arbitrary "hey, let's set the timing advance to 20 degrees and call it good" type like in the old days.

The optimum timing varies not only with octane, but with temperature, humidity, load, etc...the maps are set to account for all of this, and would also in all likelihood be set to have the capability to operate up to the maximum octane rating they're likely to hit--worldwide, meaning that they're probably set to even higher octane ratings than we get here right out of the box.

Fifth Gear examined this phenomenon in this test with three diffferent cars, and found that the base, entry-level, cheapie econobox gained nothing from using super-octane fuel, while a Golf GTI and Scoobie WRX STi gained horsepower with each increase in octane, the Scoobie doing the best at +14 hp (+6%), the VW picking up more like five (+3%).

To make sure everything was done correctly, they reset the ECU after each fuel type was used, and completely drained each vehicle's tank.
Old 05-13-2008 | 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Exactly impro, there's really nothing more to say here.
Old 05-13-2008 | 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Exactly impro, there's really nothing more to say here.
Yeah, but you know me!

I did want to add two more pieces of data to the mix. The first is the folllowing, quoted directly from my W208 owners' manual:

Originally Posted by W208 CLK55 Owners' Manual
Looked at my owners' manual. It states:

Fuel Requirements

Use only Premium unleaded meeting ASTM standard D 439:

The octane number (posted at the pump) must be 91 min. It is an average of both the research (R) octane number and the Motor (M) octane number ((R+M)/2). This is also known as the ANTI-KNOCK INDEX.
Kind of added a bit of emphasis there, but the key word is "min". This means "minimum", not "exactly", "only', or "exclusively"...i.e., they are saying that the fuel requirement is not 91 octane, but 91 octane and above.

Which, again, makes sense given that 91 octane is by no means the highest octane of premium unleaded available in the US, let alone outside it.

Also, have a look at this article from Hot Rod magazine. They took a 360CI V8 with a 10.5:1 compression (same CR as ours if memory serves), and tested its horsepower/torque output with several different octane fuels (87 octane, 91 octane, 91 octane plus "octane booster", and 100 octane race fuel. They also varied the timing to try and optimize it to the fuel rating, recording horsepower numbers at several different timing settings for each octane rating.

Guess how much extra horsepower using 100 octane fuel with optimized timing netted them over 91 octane with optimized timing?

1.4 horsepower.

Wow.

It is also illustrative to note that their maximum horsepower numbers at **all** octane ratings, from 87 octane all the way up to 100 octane, came with the **SAME** setting of timing advance: 36 degrees. Deviating from this setting in either direction, regardless of the octane of the fuel being used, resulted in lower measured horsepower and torque. The only octane level that benefited from a different level of timing advance was 114 octane, wherein maximum power was reached by retarding, not advancing timing, to 31 degrees of advance.

Their conclusions:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod Magazine
Conclusion

Frankly, the results of our test were a bit confounding. We consulted the chemists at Super 104+ and our pal Tim Wusz at 76 to help figure out what had happened. Here’s what we learned:

First, the octane booster did work. However, we saw that octane alone does not deliver horsepower; it only allows more complete utilization of the hard parts in the engine. Wusz said, “An engine does not know what the octane rating of the fuel is, unless it is too low”; note that we made less power by adding booster to 91-octane fuel. The lower the octane of the base fuel, the more benefit you’ll get from octane booster.

Also, the Edelbrock heads on our test motor have high-efficiency combustion chambers that are very tolerant of low octane levels, and their aluminum construction helps, too. Older chamber designs may not be as efficient and may succumb to abnormal combustion more easily.

But most of all, we discovered that our presumption that higher-octane fuels burn slower than lower-octane fuels (and therefore require more ignition lead) is largely incorrect. There are too many other fuel-formulation issues at work to assign a general rule about octane. Race fuel tends to have a more powerful formulation than pump gas, regardless of octane rating, because it is denser and can release more power and heat. (Note that we made the best power with 114 octane with the least ignition lead, indicating it had the fastest burn time.) California pump gas is blended with methyl tertiary-butyl ether (MTBE), alcohol, and other ingredients damaging to performance. Knowing what we know now, we’ll always experiment with ignition timing—both higher and lower settings—when we change fuels rather than presuming that more power can be made with more octane due to more timing.

Last edited by Improviz; 05-14-2008 at 12:37 AM.
Old 05-14-2008 | 07:45 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
...There is no motive for Mercedes not to optimize the timing to octane ratings higher than 91, and again not a shred of proof has been presented that they have done so...
I've seen the octane setting in the STAR/DAS be set to lower octane fuel.

I've also seen Euro E55 timing maps compared to USA E55 maps, and there are timing differences-especially up top.
Old 05-14-2008 | 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
I've seen the octane setting in the STAR/DAS be set to lower octane fuel.
How can you determine from a timing map what octane it's optimized for? As evidenced by the HR article, a different octane rating in and of itself doesn't necessarily require timing changes for max power. Do they spec this somewhere?

I've also seen Euro E55 timing maps compared to USA E55 maps, and there are timing differences-especially up top.
Makes sense--on a forced induction car running 14psi there is a much higher chance of detonation than on a normally aspirated car.

But with n/a motors, it's a different story.

Can you get, and post, the info for a 208? Tia....
Old 05-14-2008 | 10:38 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
How can you determine from a timing map what octane it's optimized for? As evidenced by the HR article, a different octane rating in and of itself doesn't necessarily require timing changes for max power. Do they spec this somewhere?
There's a spec in the variant coding area of the system. I'll try to get some screenshots up for you soon.

WRT power production, that depends on the car's compression ratio, head material, cooling ability, etc.

In the article, they were running 10.4:1 CR with 36 degrees of total timing.

Your car most likely runs under 29 degrees total.
Old 05-14-2008 | 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
There's a spec in the variant coding area of the system. I'll try to get some screenshots up for you soon.

WRT power production, that depends on the car's compression ratio, head material, cooling ability, etc.

In the article, they were running 10.4:1 CR with 36 degrees of total timing.

Your car most likely runs under 29 degrees total.
I wouldn't think it would be set that low....my car has a 10.5:1 compression ratio, and in the article they ran 36 degrees using 87 octane gasoline without any detonation (which is also the point at which they got the max power at that octane rating)...it took a full 38 degrees to get detonation w/87 octane.

Using 91 octane they were able to run 38 degrees w/no detonation, *but* it got them no additional power; max power came w/36 degrees timing--as it did with 100 octane, even though they were able to run it as high as 40 degrees with no detonation. In fact, w/the 100 octane, although their max of 403.5 hp came at 36 degrees, the motor produced above 400 hp at settings of 31, 34, 36, 38, and 40 degrees.

What was really interesting was the 114 octane. With that octane, their max power of 408 hp came using 31 degrees; it actually lost power at the higher settings.

In fact, the total variance in hp from 87 octane to 114 was 12 hp. Here are the peak results for each octane, given as octane/peak hp/degrees timing at which peak hp was achieved:

87/396.0/36
91/402.1/36
100/403.5/36
114/408.3/31

As you can see, going from 91 to 100 octane picked them up 1.4 horsepower, so it's kind of doubtful that they would pick up 22 going from 91 to 94.

Last edited by Improviz; 05-14-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-14-2008 | 11:49 PM
Former Vendor

Any AMG Thats Around..
Originally Posted by Addicted2Speed
Well here are the people who seem to have a bad experience with Evotech on this forum:

1. BallzyS55
2. BallzyS55's cousin
3. Jwanee84
4. SleeperX
5. MIG-E55Rocket
6. BiTurboAmg
7. Zal
All i can say is that... Evotech is a virus that infected sleepers perfectly running RennTech P5 11.5 car... as soon as we started putting that garbage in his car is where it was over....

the icing on the cake was when alex sent a modified AMG speed**** to me thru sleeper... that he had no idea how to hook up.. we hooked it up as he told us to... threw all types of malf... then he said do it a diffrent way.. still no good... then sent it back to him.. oh it was the wrong one or something? then we got another one... then this one appeared to do absolutly nothing.. so im thinking what could of been done to the car when i had it hooked up the wrong wire the wrong way twice? Then the his ecu flash and the other stuff... i dunno... seems like a nice friendly guy, but doesnt know alot about cars... seems like a middleman that sits in a room somewhere slinging parts he doesnt know about...... and yes, some of his stuff is cheap... but you get what you pay for.... I take this very personaly because this is the only car out of 100's that i ever had a issue with, and it was my favorite....

(i have some deep nested issues with this)
Old 05-26-2008 | 11:55 PM
Zal

2001 CLK55
Originally Posted by Chappy
Zal,

You'll have to give me a ride in that thing Saturday. Please track your fuel mileage on the trip over...like to compare notes or see if yours has changed post-tune.

Looking forward to seeing you again!
Chappy attached is the mileage and performance on the way back. A straight run from Greenville SC. to Dallas (no adventures :-), with a breakfast stop in Atlanta and misc gas stops etc..

Can't say if tune affected mileage or not. Curious to see what other 208 owners have experienced and if this MPG rate is inline with expectations.
Attached Thumbnails Evotech ECU Tune Results for W208 CLK55-img_0360.jpg  
Old 05-27-2008 | 07:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by Zal
Chappy attached is the mileage and performance on the way back. A straight run from Greenville SC. to Dallas (no adventures :-), with a breakfast stop in Atlanta and misc gas stops etc..

Can't say if tune affected mileage or not. Curious to see what other 208 owners have experienced and if this MPG rate is inline with expectations.
Glad you made it back safe. My average is a little higher for highway...26-27mpg, but my cruising speed is closer to 70.
Old 05-27-2008 | 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
A 77MPH average over 12 hours? So you were doing 90+ most of the time, right? Great mileage at those speeds.
Old 05-29-2008 | 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Current: AMG GT-C. Sold: 01 CLK55, 00 ML55, 01 ML55, 06 E55
I get about 24-25 on a 2 hour interstate trip.
Old 05-31-2008 | 05:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by MarcusF
A 77MPH average over 12 hours? So you were doing 90+ most of the time, right? Great mileage at those speeds.
lol.....on his way up to Greenville from Dallas, Zal called me from the road and I kept hearing his V1 in the background. Yep - Zal makes excellent time on road trips!
Old 05-31-2008 | 05:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by da_guitarist
I get about 24-25 on a 2 hour interstate trip.
How was the driving school?