CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

After market Audio/Video

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 11:44 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Beaver Sled
After market Audio/Video

Do you have any after market Audio/Video installed in ur car?
please share
Old 04-25-2008, 09:19 AM

Location: East Falls, Philadelphia / Swedesboro, South Jersey
CLK55 AMG
I put in an Alpine head unit IVA-W205, the Alpine Blackbird nav, iPod adapter, XM Radio, JL Audio 300/4 amp, JL Audio 1000/1 amp Focal 165K2P speakers and an Adire Audio Brahma 12" sub.

Bob
Old 04-25-2008, 09:47 AM

E55 AMG + Mustang GT
click on the link in my sig to see my setup
Old 04-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 Beaver Sled
Is our system run on fiber optic?
A guy I found in my area told me if it is then i wouldnt be able to run the factory subs? is it possible to just change the head unit ?
Old 04-25-2008, 02:26 PM

Location: East Falls, Philadelphia / Swedesboro, South Jersey
CLK55 AMG
The stock system in my 2003 CLK55 was fiber optic and I had to replace all of the components. I did not have the commander, just the standard head unit.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:48 PM

E55 AMG + Mustang GT
It is fiber optic. What factory subs is he talking about? speakers?
Old 04-29-2008, 03:51 AM
Almost a Member!

2004 Beaver Sled
Originally Posted by SemiSilentBob
The stock system in my 2003 CLK55 was fiber optic and I had to replace all of the components. I did not have the commander, just the standard head unit.
how much did that cost you?

Originally Posted by Jaki
It is fiber optic. What factory subs is he talking about? speakers?
the 2 in the back behind the rear seats
Old 04-29-2008, 07:45 AM

07' IS 350, 08' E550
One Sick Ride!

Jaki,

Your CLK looks clean as hell. I'm looking to add a navi system. I want to go with a Kenwood and like the others here I was told that the whole system would have to be upgraded due to the Fiber Optics in the car. My question to you is:

1. How much did it cost for your Navi system and speakers (Including Install)
2. Why did you go Alpine? Was it a personal choice? Do you feel they're better or both?
3. How does the 19's feel on the road?
Old 04-29-2008, 08:06 AM

07' IS 350, 08' E550
Originally Posted by MARTYMAR
Jaki,

Your CLK looks clean as hell. I'm looking to add a navi system. I want to go with a Kenwood and like the others here I was told that the whole system would have to be upgraded due to the Fiber Optics in the car. My question to you is:

2. Why did you go Alpine? Was it a personal choice? Do you feel they're better or both?

My bad you do have a Kenwood system Silly me. In fact, I believe that's the one.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:15 AM

E55 AMG + Mustang GT
Jaki,

Thanks for the kudos!!

When I was buying all the parts, all the shops told me that I would need to replace every thing, due to us having fiber optic. I did not have to upgrade anything extra. All I did was replace the headunit with a Kenwood DDX7015, and I added a Kenwood TV Tuner. I left the stock bose speakers in the car. All the shops told me that I would have to replace them, but I didn't not have to replace them. With the Kenwood headunit, the speakers sound 100 times better than with the stock head unit.

1.) I don't remember the exact prices, as I bought the stuff about 2 years ago. The Kenwood DDX 7015 head unit was around $800, navigation addition another $200 from Kenwood, and the TV tuner was another $200+

All of the installation was free, as I installed it all with a good friend of mine thats an audio genius. He's the one that told me not to listen to the shops that told me that I would have to upgrade everything...

2.) Like you said in your later post, I have the Kenwood. The latest Pioneer is looking very good.

3.) I have the 19's with H&R sport springs, the ride is rougher than stock, but I love it this way. It is still soft enough where going over bumps won't hurt you. It feels like the car is riding on rails. The handling also improved.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:35 AM

07' IS 350, 08' E550
Thanks for the kudos!!

When I was buying all the parts, all the shops told me that I would need to replace every thing, due to us having fiber optic. I did not have to upgrade anything extra. All I did was replace the headunit with a Kenwood DDX7015, and I added a Kenwood TV Tuner. I left the stock bose speakers in the car. All the shops told me that I would have to replace them, but I didn't not have to replace them. With the Kenwood headunit, the speakers sound 100 times better than with the stock head unit.

1.) I don't remember the exact prices, as I bought the stuff about 2 years ago. The Kenwood DDX 7015 head unit was around $800, navigation addition another $200 from Kenwood, and the TV tuner was another $200+

All of the installation was free, as I installed it all with a good friend of mine thats an audio genius. He's the one that told me not to listen to the shops that told me that I would have to upgrade everything...

2.) Like you said in your later post, I have the Kenwood. The latest Pioneer is looking very good.

3.) I have the 19's with H&R sport springs, the ride is rougher than stock, but I love it this way. It is still soft enough where going over bumps won't hurt you. It feels like the car is riding on rails. The handling also improved.
Good stuff Jaki! I'm definitely upgrading to the Kenwood system. The one I'm looking at now comes with the Bluetooth, Ipod, Navigation..basically the works for $1200 including installation. You didn't have to replace the speakers or anything? Like you, I was told that I would have to replace everything due to the Fiber Optics in the car. I don't know....did you have any issues with your sound system at all? If not, that's awesome. I guess I just need a good shop I could trust to install mines. We'll see..if you know of anyone in L.A. let that could do a good job for a reasonable price please let me know.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:29 AM

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupé
My system is being built as we speak - here's the link to the installer's forum:

http://forum.hifimobile.fr/viewtopic.php?t=7844

I am keeping the original COMAND system but am adding an Alpine DVD player that will connect into the HU as an auxilliary to the MB TV. I was having too much fun with the original COMAND (the redundant displays, the linguatronic, the telephone in the armrest, the British lady who tells me where to go...) to start over with something else. Still, I might add a second screen and bluetooth sometime down the road...i am waiting for digital radio to show up in Europe. In any event the heavy work is done -- the sound insulation, the new speakers and the Brax amp.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:41 AM

07' IS 350, 08' E550
Originally Posted by neilbo75
My system is being built as we speak - here's the link to the installer's forum:

http://forum.hifimobile.fr/viewtopic.php?t=7844

I am keeping the original COMAND system but am adding an Alpine DVD player that will connect into the HU as an auxilliary to the MB TV. I was having too much fun with the original COMAND (the redundant displays, the linguatronic, the telephone in the armrest, the British lady who tells me where to go...) to start over with something else. Still, I might add a second screen and bluetooth sometime down the road...i am waiting for digital radio to show up in Europe. In any event the heavy work is done -- the sound insulation, the new speakers and the Brax amp.

Sweet! I would like to keep the orginal COMAND system as well so that I could control the radio from the steering wheel. However, I want the new Kenwood DNX 8120! From what I've read about it so far it's probably one of the best DVD/Navigation units out. The only problem is that it doesn't fit my car according to Crutchfield's website. Maybe because the monitor is 6.95' inch wide? Would anybody know what the biggest size monitor could fit?
Old 05-01-2008, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, C63
do a search in the W208 forum, and you'll see pics of my ICE.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:19 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 Beaver Sled
Thanks for the kudos!!

So you changed the head unit and a tv tuner and still was able to connect the 2 bose speakers in the back?
cuz my guy told me he will be able to connect the front speakers no problem just the back 2 speakers will be disabled. and without those 2 (bass) the sound will be very hollow.

maybe i just need to find another audio/video guy
Old 05-02-2008, 11:17 AM

E55 AMG + Mustang GT
Good stuff Jaki! I'm definitely upgrading to the Kenwood system. The one I'm looking at now comes with the Bluetooth, Ipod, Navigation..basically the works for $1200 including installation. You didn't have to replace the speakers or anything? Like you, I was told that I would have to replace everything due to the Fiber Optics in the car. I don't know....did you have any issues with your sound system at all? If not, that's awesome. I guess I just need a good shop I could trust to install mines. We'll see..if you know of anyone in L.A. let that could do a good job for a reasonable price please let me know.
The Kenwood unit that you mentioned is definitely a great unit. The only feature that I did loose was the steering wheel controls. Those you will loose pretty much anytime that you replace your head unit. Although, my friend that did the installation said there might be a harness that I could get which would enable me to still keep the steering wheel controls. He said he knows for a fact that there are harnesses for Audi's and BMW's, but he hasn't put one in on a Mercedes yet. I didn't really look for the harness, as loosing the steering wheel controls didn't bother me much.

Originally Posted by chen38
So you changed the head unit and a tv tuner and still was able to connect the 2 bose speakers in the back?
cuz my guy told me he will be able to connect the front speakers no problem just the back 2 speakers will be disabled. and without those 2 (bass) the sound will be very hollow.

maybe i just need to find another audio/video guy
Yes, I have the 2 speakers in the back working, and I also added a pair of subs in the back. Those 2 back speakers are definitely working though. As mentioned before, the only feature I lost was the steering wheel controls for the radio.

Also, when replacing the head unit, you will need to get a new dash kit around the radio, as whichever head unit you put in won't be a perfect fit. For a 03-04 CLK, nobody has one listed that fits, but I bought one for a 01-04 C-Class and just cut the middle part, and it fits perfect. http://www.installer.com/item/displa...php?it=99-8711

For the 05+ CLK, they do have a dash kit. Again, just cut out the lower part so your double din head unit can fit.

Last edited by Jaki; 05-02-2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:24 PM

07' IS 350, 08' E550
The Kenwood unit that you mentioned is definitely a great unit. The only feature that I did loose was the steering wheel controls. Those you will loose pretty much anytime that you replace your head unit. Although, my friend that did the installation said there might be a harness that I could get which would enable me to still keep the steering wheel controls. He said he knows for a fact that there are harnesses for Audi's and BMW's, but he hasn't put one in on a Mercedes yet. I didn't really look for the harness, as loosing the steering wheel controls didn't bother me much.

Yes, I have the 2 speakers in the back working, and I also added a pair of subs in the back. Those 2 back speakers are definitely working though. As mentioned before, the only feature I lost was the steering wheel controls for the radio.

Also, when replacing the head unit, you will need to get a new dash kit around the radio, as whichever head unit you put in won't be a perfect fit. For a 03-04 CLK, nobody has one listed that fits, but I bought one for a 01-04 C-Class and just cut the middle part, and it fits perfect. http://www.installer.com/item/displa...php?it=99-8711

For the 05+ CLK, they do have a dash kit. Again, just cut out the lower part so your double din head unit can fit.
Good looking out Jaki! You've basically answered most if not all of my questions or concerns. This Forum is helping me out a lot! The new Kenwood Nav will definitely need the double din bracket.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:15 PM

2006 CLK350
hey jaki, you need this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PIONE...spagenameZWD1V
if you want your steering wheel comands (theres a diff between 03-04 w209s and 05+, so i'm not sure which this fits. if you search forum, you might get better answer).........oh just to clarify again, you changed NOTHING else except the headunit, and it worked fine?
Old 05-11-2008, 12:58 AM

04 CLK 500, 07 GSX-R 750, S 550, 09 Jeep GC
i have a 04 Clk 500, with 2 10inch subs @ 800 RMS each in the trunk.

I just used a RCA converter on the signal going to the factory woofer in the rear deck.

works great, just remember to take out the bose "audiopilot" mic above the rearview mirror, to prevent "feedback".

pm with any questions.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 55 ///AMG Cabrio, ML63 ///AMG
So, for a 2002 CLK 55 are these the parts that are needed:

I'm still confused as to which wiring harness to use. Can someone tell me which one? Does the Factory Bose Amp have to be bypassed (meaning harness #2 below)? I'm looking for the least amount of work/re-wiring as possible. Also which two wires on the harness needs to be modified and modified as in ???

Help.

"Amp Integration plug - Mercedes C230 C240 C320*Fits models w/Factory amp. Does Not work if you are planing to remove the factory amp and not use it."

"If you are installing an aftermarket radio in your car you need this harness."

Mercedes C230 C240 C320 Radio Mounting Install Dash Kit (no clk listed, cut out middle plastic piece):

Import to Domestic Antenna Adapter:
Old 05-16-2014, 06:54 PM

2001 Mercedes benz c240
Hello I have a 2001 benz c240 and iam hooking up the 7inch double din but cant received any sound!!! Can any help I have that audio orange fiber optic plug that controls the sound how do I hook this up with after market deck
Old 05-17-2014, 09:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Magma Red W208 55 AMG, W203 C230 Kompressor Sedan 6speed M/T, W220 S500
You could probably find more help in the w203 section of the forums.