CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Superchargers for the 208?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2008 | 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
Returning to the performance aspect, I’m far from an expert on turbocharging and thermodynamics, but I think Corky Bell is. In his book Maximum Boost, he repeatedly says high exhaust temperatures are an important component in turbine performance. Rear mount turbos would seem to have a problem in retaining that exhaust heat. Like I said, I’m no expert, just a guy quoting another guy. If Corky Bell is wrong, or I’m reading more into this than he presented, I’d like to learn something new on the subject.

Old 07-17-2008 | 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320CDI, CLK55, and a Smart
In both NA and FI, it's important to keep the exhaust gases hot. Hot gases expand in the exhaust manifold or headers. The volume of the pipe remains the same, hence the exhaust speed is increased. You will often see people wrap their headers. This improves exhaust scavenging for driving the compressor. If the exhaust flows faster it also means that the cylinder heads run cooler, which lowers the operating temperature of the engine. In addition, because the heat is better contained within the header tubes, less is radiated into the engine compartment, and underhood temperatures come down. Lower underhood and engine water temps mean the intake charge becomes denser, which makes power.
Old 07-17-2008 | 11:07 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by MarcusF
Pigman, picture this – I’m traveling at 75 MPH on the interstate with the cruise on. Blackbenzz is at a complete stop. If Blackbenzz jumps on it the moment my 75 MPH car is even with his, he will catch and pass me BEFORE I reach the quarter mile mark. In fact, by the time I reach the quarter mile mark, Blackbenzz will be over half a second up the road, pulling away by more than 45 MPH.

If I were looking for a blower, the only thing I’d want to know is “what is he running?”
I dunno how I missed this but I think this is the ultimate compliment given its coming from you
Old 07-17-2008 | 11:14 AM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by MarcusF
Blackbenzz is at a complete stop. If Blackbenzz jumps on it the moment my 75 MPH car is even with his, he will catch and pass me BEFORE I reach the quarter mile mark.

If I were looking for a blower, the only thing I’d want to know is “what is he running?”
Not possible. Blackbenzz is just too busy pimpin and mackin the chic on his sig so you still have a chance. If you want to know what he's running just look at the chic in his sig and that should give you an idea. LOL
Old 07-17-2008 | 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
I dunno how I missed this but I think this is the ultimate compliment given its coming from you
You're the man, I'm just watching from the sidelines and saying what I think makes sense. You run 11.5's in a full bodied, daily driver. Unless someone can demonstrate that they know how to make a CLK go faster, why re-invent the wheel? I can understand the attraction in re-inventing the wheel, but most of the benefit comes AFTER the wheel has been *successfully* re-invented. Along the way the way to success comes heartache, pain, and expenses that I don’t want to dream about. In *my* estimation, the best way to get a fast car, is to copy someone else’s work. Find the guy with the fastest car (it helps if their car actually runs), and beg/plead/pay them for advice. You have the fastest CLK that I’ve heard of. You’re almost a second faster than a CLK63 BS. Somebody get this man a crown, he’s KING!