CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Kiss future large displacement MB's goodbye

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kiss future large displacement MB's goodbye

Looks like MB can't ignore CAFE and European Commission emissions mandate. Most likely this will mean a smaller displacement engine with mid to high pressure turbo's to extract HP's instead of pure displacement. I consider this a sad day for all AMG enthusiasts.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...233692635/1023

Mercedes-Benz will introduce turbocharged engines across its entire lineup in the next two years.

“All our vehicles will have turbocharged engines in series production by the end of 2010 at the latest,” Thomas Weber, Daimler board member responsible for research and development, told Automotive News Europe at a press event in Dusseldorf, Germany, on Thursday.

Forthcoming legislation in Europe and the United States is forcing automakers to reduce auto emissions.

Demand for turbochargers is growing because they offer a proven and relatively inexpensive way to reduce fuel consumption. With the addition of a turbocharger, Daimler will be able to install smaller, lighter and more fuel-efficient engines without sacrificing performance.

Under current proposals, the European Commission will ask the German automaker to cut its average fleet emissions from 178 grams per kilometer to 138 g/km by 2012. The Commission will fine automakers that fail to meet the targets.

Improving the efficiency of its existing engines is the first part of Daimler’s strategy to reduce CO2 emission levels across its fleet. Weber said the medium-term step would be to introduce more hybrid technology. The S class--Mercedes’ flagship sedan--will be offered as a full hybrid vehicle starting in 2009.

Weber also said that zero-emission driving is the German automaker’s long-term goal. To get there, Daimler plans to use technology such as fuel cells and electric-powered vehicles. A full-electric version of the ForTwo from Mercedes sister brand Smart goes into production in 2010.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:13 PM

CLK 55
Originally Posted by hrothgar02
Looks like MB can't ignore CAFE and European Commission emissions mandate. Most likely this will mean a smaller displacement engine with mid to high pressure turbo's to extract HP's instead of pure displacement. I consider this a sad day for all AMG enthusiasts.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...233692635/1023

Mercedes-Benz will introduce turbocharged engines across its entire lineup in the next two years.

“All our vehicles will have turbocharged engines in series production by the end of 2010 at the latest,” Thomas Weber, Daimler board member responsible for research and development, told Automotive News Europe at a press event in Dusseldorf, Germany, on Thursday.

Forthcoming legislation in Europe and the United States is forcing automakers to reduce auto emissions.

Demand for turbochargers is growing because they offer a proven and relatively inexpensive way to reduce fuel consumption. With the addition of a turbocharger, Daimler will be able to install smaller, lighter and more fuel-efficient engines without sacrificing performance.

Under current proposals, the European Commission will ask the German automaker to cut its average fleet emissions from 178 grams per kilometer to 138 g/km by 2012. The Commission will fine automakers that fail to meet the targets.

Improving the efficiency of its existing engines is the first part of Daimler’s strategy to reduce CO2 emission levels across its fleet. Weber said the medium-term step would be to introduce more hybrid technology. The S class--Mercedes’ flagship sedan--will be offered as a full hybrid vehicle starting in 2009.

Weber also said that zero-emission driving is the German automaker’s long-term goal. To get there, Daimler plans to use technology such as fuel cells and electric-powered vehicles. A full-electric version of the ForTwo from Mercedes sister brand Smart goes into production in 2010.
this suxxxxx
Old 07-18-2008, 02:37 PM

I am tempted to trade in my 5.4 for a 6.2 and hang on to it for a long long time. I fear a future of electron driven cars.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 AMG SL55, 2002 AMG CLK55, 2002 AMG ML55, 2005 ML350, 1995 S320 LWB - totaled
Now I know I am getting an E55 or CLS55!!
Old 07-18-2008, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
I'm going to savor my CLK55 like a fine vintage. While smoking a 52 ring gauge Maduro wrapper cigar. Oil speculators be d@mned
Old 07-18-2008, 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 CLK 55 AMG, IMCO muffler/Magnaflow tips, KW V1 coilovers, 19" Petrol Metrix Wheels
regardless of which route MB chooses: turbocharging, supercharging, hybrid, hydrogen, or even full on electric. we all know they will be fast. Nissan's Skyline does not seem to be having a problem with horsepower or performance: all wheel drive, twin turbo six, DSG-type tranny, and heavy. yet it is still able to outperform a 911 turbo. they will still offer some V-8's NA i am sure but in limited numbers. that 6.3 liter motor is light and efficient. there is no reason for them to completely stop producing that motor. they will have to reduce production and transition away from lower level v-8's like the one they used in the CLK 500. they will probably reserve the V-8 for the elites like the black series, etc.

i think the general public is freaking out a little too much. it may be harder to get a V-8 but they will still be available.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
Blame the gas prices!
Old 07-19-2008, 08:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by AMGOODNESS
regardless of which route MB chooses: turbocharging, supercharging, hybrid, hydrogen, or even full on electric. we all know they will be fast. Nissan's Skyline does not seem to be having a problem with horsepower or performance: all wheel drive, twin turbo six, DSG-type tranny, and heavy. yet it is still able to outperform a 911 turbo. they will still offer some V-8's NA i am sure but in limited numbers. that 6.3 liter motor is light and efficient. there is no reason for them to completely stop producing that motor. they will have to reduce production and transition away from lower level v-8's like the one they used in the CLK 500. they will probably reserve the V-8 for the elites like the black series, etc.

i think the general public is freaking out a little too much. it may be harder to get a V-8 but they will still be available.
Yeah, but did you read the part where it said car companies will get fined for having large enfines? How much is MB willing to pay in fines just to have a big displacement engine? Thats the real question.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
I read the board member's comments a little differently. I don’t see where Mercedes-Benz says large displacement engines will be done away with. The board member said Mercedes-Benz will introduce turbocharged engines across all series. For example, suppose Mercedes-Benz introduces a four cylinder turbo E. That doesn’t mean the E63 will be eliminated, just that Mercedes-Benz will offer a four cylinder turbo E.

I just checked the press site and I don't see a release.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:34 PM

SL63
Cool AMG Motors

Please notice that they are talking about Mercedes Benz and not AMG.

As long as emissions are met, they will let the public vote with their wallets and adjust production accordlingly.

Also Mercedes does not mfg 6.3 motors, look halfway down this thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c219/245997-cls55-63-fun-facts.html

Fun Facts
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center-article_194/

http://www.ae-plus.com/Technology%20...AMG%206.3l.htm

http://www.motortrend.com/features/s...fac/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-AMG

Old 07-21-2008, 05:16 PM

03 CLK 55 AMG, IMCO muffler/Magnaflow tips, KW V1 coilovers, 19" Petrol Metrix Wheels
you are right they sub out that engine production. well noted.