CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Yet another 03 CLK55 thread (it won't hurt much, I promise)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 05:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
n/a
Yet another 03 CLK55 thread (it won't hurt much, I promise)

So, there's this '03 CLK55 with 30k miles on it at a nearby dealer. Apparently in great condition with no issues (we'll see about this). I talked to this dude several times over the last few days, but mostly about an '04 330CI ZHP for $15k (salvage title, repaired, perfect condition). I'm going to look at both of them on Saturday.

I hadn't considered the CLK55, but I think I can get it with an extended warranty (he offers several packages) for low 20s. I get a good vibe from dealing with him, as he's been nice and patient in answering all my questions, emailing me warranty docs and repair receipts for the 330CI, etc.

However, I'm concerned about reliability issues. Bottom line: if I get a good warranty, and everything else checks out, is this a no-brainer? If I have to bring it in for some minor **** here and there, so be it, as long as I don't have to pay a penny (depending on warranty details)...hopefully, the AMG aspect doesn't complicate this. Will I be ok with a warranty that handles the powertrain and the various electrical systems? I've attached a .pdf of the warranty document he sent me.

List of things to do:

- Ask for maintenance records (don't think he has them, but maybe)
- Test drive (duh)
- Independent vehicle inspection
- Get a good warranty

Anything else to consider? Your input is greatly appreciated.
Attached Files
Old 09-19-2008, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 CLK 55 AMG, IMCO muffler/Magnaflow tips, KW V1 coilovers, 19" Petrol Metrix Wheels
do you seriously think you are going to pay less for maintaining a BMW, especially one with a salvaged title? the 55 AMG has a rock solid engine. there is a known issue with the tranny but it is easily fixed and would be covered by your warranty. other than that drive the hell out of it and enjoy.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55, 2002 CLK55, 2005 SLK350 also a 2009 BMW 335-IX
Salvage title BMW?

No way baby... I would gues you'll take a real beating trying to sell that one when you are done with it.

Plus, you say it's fixed and in perfect condition? If the damage was that easily repaired, it wouldn't be a salvage... IMHO...

Get an AMG...

There's no looking back! (you never have to, since you're in the lead)
Old 09-19-2008, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Originally Posted by HighEndOne
No way baby... I would gues you'll take a real beating trying to sell that one when you are done with it.

Plus, you say it's fixed and in perfect condition? If the damage was that easily repaired, it wouldn't be a salvage... IMHO...

Get an AMG...

There's no looking back! (you never have to, since you're in the lead)
I agreed
Old 09-19-2008, 04:40 PM

n/a
Hmmm. Ordinarily, I'd think that the 3-series would have fewer issues than the clk55, but that's just based on my impression. I've never owned either, only driven the parents' ML430 occasionally (some issues on that one). The salvage/damage issue is a wildcard. I have pictures of the damage, a couple of which I have attached (at least he shared them with me). The salvage title, although it makes me leery, could just be a minor detail relating to the insurance company's writing it off as a total loss. Is it naive to assume that anything can be repaired good as new? Everything was replaced.

I assume that having it inspected by myself and a mechanic, just as I would with the clk55, would be very helpful in resolving these uncertainties.

Of course, the clk is sexier. But getting the 330ci for 16k with warranty, versus the clk55 for 22k with warranty (these are just round numbers, don't know what the actual deal might be) does sound good.

Meh, ultimately, it's a question of what I want. If I'm drawn to the clk, and I can get the deal I want, and I'm not more concerned about its reliability, that should be the winner.

Thanks for the input thus far, nugz.
Attached Thumbnails Yet another 03 CLK55 thread (it won't hurt much, I promise)-1.jpeg   Yet another 03 CLK55 thread (it won't hurt much, I promise)-4.jpeg  
Old 09-19-2008, 04:43 PM

n/a
Here's the 330ci, all fixed up:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...aff=national#0

Does look nice. Lol, I may be talking to the wrong crowd over here, but I'm sure many of you like bimmers.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:39 PM

Location: East Falls, Philadelphia / Swedesboro, South Jersey
CLK55 AMG
My last car was an E46 328I a 1999, chipped, intake and exhaust so equal (or almost identical) in power to the 330 stock. It was great but absolutely NO comparison to my 2003 CLK55. I've done regular maintenance on the CLK and it has been awesome.The BMW is a great car but maintenance cost is similar to the CLK (no matter how good the repair there will always be a difference between what was repaired and the original parts and structure on a salvage) and the difference when you put your foot to the floor is totally different. I said it on this forum when I bought my CLK; it's like the pedal is hooked up to my smile, every time I hit the gas I can't help grinning from ear to ear.

Go with the CLK55 you will never regret it

Hope this helps

Bob

Just a side note: If you are going to get a 3 series you NEED to get the manual not the auto, they are 2 completely different cars. Just my personal opinion but the only auto I've been happy with is the CLK55. If you don't beleve me ask anyone on E46Fanatics.com or Bimmerforums.com

Last edited by SemiSilentBob; 09-19-2008 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by SemiSilentBob
..I said it on this forum when I bought my CLK; it's like the pedal is hooked up to my smile, every time I hit the gas I can't help grinning from ear to ear.

Go with the CLK55 you will never regret it

Hope this helps

Bob

376 ft/lbs of N/A torque is a very good thing
Old 09-19-2008, 09:47 PM

CLK 55
a CLK55 will destroy that 330...not to mention the pillarless look is just.........oh so sexy...CLK all day bro...
Old 09-19-2008, 10:49 PM

2003 clk55
CLK 55 All the way..... You cant even compare the two cars.....
Old 09-20-2008, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Post #9 and #10.......nuff said!
Old 09-20-2008, 01:30 AM

n/a
alrighty then. i asked a question, and got an answer.

i'll see what's up with the clk55. let's just hope it's legit, if i get it. or i'll be *****ing and moaning all over this place.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:50 AM

CLK 55
Originally Posted by jackangel2
alrighty then. i asked a question, and got an answer.

i'll see what's up with the clk55. let's just hope it's legit, if i get it. or i'll be *****ing and moaning all over this place.
hahaha, u wouldnt be the first to go thru a b!tch and moan rant on the board...the CLK is just a way more solid car man...hands down...nothing against the BMW's...have u driven both cars for a comparison?
Old 09-20-2008, 11:23 AM

n/a
probably going today, never driven either yet. so, next important question...do any of you peeps have recommendations for a mechanic or dealer i can have the pre purchase inspection done with? the car is in brea (orange county). there are a couple of mercedes dealers in the area (house of imports in buena park and mb of anaheim) that i looked up, but other than that?

someone who knows the clk55 well, ya dig.

will i have to pay 200+ for a thorough inspection of all systems, or what?

help me out. didn't find anything useful/local/recommended in my quick search yet.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:11 AM

n/a
test drove both today. clk definitely has some pickup, however i am annoyed to find out the truth of the car. mechanically, it may be fine. however, the car was stolen and the nav panel taken, console dinged up, etc. not exactly great condition, in my opinion (which is the only one that counts). there's a chip in the windshield, a minor nick or two in the upholstery, a couple of chips in the paint (very minor, 2-3mm). the tires are fairly bald. the bottom grills/lights are missing. overall, the condition sems very good, except for what i've mentioned. he has a new nav panel from some later year sitting separately, and would fix these issues (not including the nav, and not using OEM/AMG parts) and sell it for ~23k with a good warranty. i wouldn't say this is an amazing deal. to get me in it, he'll have to take more of a loss than he already has (says he paid 22k and let it sit around for 2 years w/o even trying to sell it).

i did like dealing with him, though...nice guy.

since i'm not in love with the car as is, i'll probably leave it.

i did like the 3-series as well, and i can probably get that for 15-16k w/ warranty. from what i could tell, it needs nothing (center of steering wheel needs to be fitted back properly, which he'd do). it is in quite good condition (not showroom perfect, but 99%) for having 36k+ miles. of course, in either case, i'd get a thorough independent inspection to see what's up. i still need some recommendations for a reasonably-priced, yet VERY thorough inspection service.

here are pictures that i took:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7878355...ed/2008/09/21/
Old 09-21-2008, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Those aren't the stock rims for a 2003 CLK55. What happened to them? Accident?
Old 09-21-2008, 11:41 AM

your mom
that CLK looks like a disaster. I would stay away to be perfectly honest.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:10 PM

n/a
a disaster, eh? even for less? 20k total, fixed, warranty, etc? doubt he'd go for that, and i'm prepared to leave it. no problem.

i am considering the bimmer. think it's worth having it inspected and going from there? since the repaired damage was to the right, front suspension, and that wouldn't be covered, i'd want some assurance that this won't cause me grief if i hit a pothole, go over a bump, etc.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
You should buy whatever makes you happy, but I'd never buy a *story* car. "Story cars" are the seller's excuse to say "Well, we told you about that before you bought it." And since the salesman said the car has been wrecked and patched back together, that includes everything.

For example, at some point that BMW's next owner may notice that the front bumper isn't straight (I can see that just looking at the photos). They may decide to determine why the front bumper isn't straight. A bodyman will probably tell them the bumper IS straight, it's the bumper mounting points that are jacked.

If the bumper which I can see is jacked, what about the stuff I can't see? There's a reason why it's salvage, and personally, I'd walk. At a minimum, I'd take it to a BMW dealer, pay a couple of hundred, and have them fully inspect the car. Then I'd take it to an ASE certified body and frame tech, pay them another hundred, and have them confirm that the car is straight. After a few minutes on the rack, I expect them to notice that the crumple zones that have been pulled straight enough to mount bodywork, have a good chance of completely failing the next time the car gets into an accident (or hits a big enough pot hole at speed).

Lastly, there may be a reason why both of the cars you've seen at that lot are substandard. The lot may deal in substandard cars.

Last edited by MarcusF; 09-21-2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Yeah......just wait until you can find a good car. Don't jump at one just because the price is good. If its too good to be true then well, you know.
Keep looking.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:20 AM

n/a
Excellent advice, bros. I am walking from both. Keep your eyes open for good deals and send me a PM if it occurs to you!

Thank you.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 Mercedes Benz E220D/GONE!JUNK!Current GLC Coupe 350d 4 Matic
///

The problem is that even if we tell you about a good deal,you won't consider it to be so.Im selling my car and offered it at 25K,which you tought was too much....So i guess you will get what you pay for....
Old 09-24-2008, 05:06 PM

03 CLK 55 AMG, IMCO muffler/Magnaflow tips, KW V1 coilovers, 19" Petrol Metrix Wheels
bela's car is custom and meticulously cared for. if you are not interested in his car for $25k, which is a steal, then good luck. i would have scooped up Bela's car in a heartbeat for that kind of money. For a stock 55 last year i paid 10k more than that.

go to a real dealership and buy a used pedestrian 3-series. i am not sure you are ready to be in this group.