CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Broken RACK AND PINION!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63 sedan
Broken RACK AND PINION!

So guys... i own a 2005 CLK 55 AMG... I drive it pretty hard.... well after a few 360's... bam... no power steering... its still under warranty. So i took it in... NEEDS A NEW Steering Rack. GOOD JOB AMG.

ANYWAY.. i still love the car. if i didnt have the warranty...... i would say otherwise... anybody else experience this?
Old 10-05-2008, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
Doing donuts puts alot of stress into the steering. Dont blame AMG
Old 10-05-2008, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 Mercedes Benz E220D/GONE!JUNK!Current GLC Coupe 350d 4 Matic
///

I love it how it is your first post and you B**** around about how AMG's steering rack sucks because you messed it up by doing something stupid.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:57 PM

2012 C63 sedan
hey guy.... this is my first post.. because this forum is very very informative.. and i had no other reason to post.

I am just very disappointed that this happened. My 1990 Toyota supra's rack never broke.... just my 2 cents.

Im NOT bashing AMG... i love the car... just surprised that this happened.

Kev
Old 10-05-2008, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

///

Originally Posted by Kevman05
hey guy.... this is my first post.. because this forum is very very informative.. and i had no other reason to post.

I am just very disappointed that this happened. My 1990 Toyota supra's rack never broke.... just my 2 cents.

Im NOT bashing AMG... i love the car... just surprised that this happened.

Kev
A history on the vehicle would be a good starting point.
Where were you doing donuts,did you lock in your steering wheel?You know you should not try and atempt to them if you do not know how.You can brake other things then your rack.
There must have been something else wrong with your rack before you started doing the donuts.That's why it broke(what broke btw and how do you know its the rack?>????)
And what i was saying is that,you never posted here before this thing hapend.So maybe a Hello and history on your vehicle would have been nice,before starting to B**** about something that YOU broke>?
Old 10-05-2008, 06:43 PM

2012 C63 sedan
Originally Posted by BelaMeca
A history on the vehicle would be a good starting point.
Where were you doing donuts,did you lock in your steering wheel?You know you should not try and atempt to them if you do not know how.You can brake other things then your rack.
There must have been something else wrong with your rack before you started doing the donuts.That's why it broke(what broke btw and how do you know its the rack?>????)
And what i was saying is that,you never posted here before this thing hapend.So maybe a Hello and history on your vehicle would have been nice,before starting to B**** about something that YOU broke>?
Hello
I bought the car about 2 years ago. with 25000 miles.. I now have 38000 miles. Never had a problem with it.
Yes i did lock the steering wheel. (as i did with my Toyota supra for years without a problem) .. the ground was straight and level asphalt. The dealer changed the power steering pump... thinking it was that.. it wasnt. They called me and said they ordered a new rack for it.. saying that can be the only other possibility. Still waiting for the call tomorrow with the results.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

///

Originally Posted by Kevman05
Hello
I bought the car about 2 years ago. with 25000 miles.. I now have 38000 miles. Never had a problem with it.
Yes i did lock the steering wheel. (as i did with my Toyota supra for years without a problem) .. the ground was straight and level asphalt. The dealer changed the power steering pump... thinking it was that.. it wasnt. They called me and said they ordered a new rack for it.. saying that can be the only other possibility. Still waiting for the call tomorrow with the results.
lol
Welcome!

So listen,your dealer is a dumba**.
They replaced a part that wasn't even faulty,and now they are second guessing that it is the rack?what part?which lkeads me to the conclusion that you also do not know that it is the rack for sure?lol?
Anyhow,just because you did it with a different car and nothing hapened doesnt mean S***.
I did it with my CSRT8 and my PS Pump just went to pieces.It was a year old car.Then again you bought the car with 25000 miles,who knows what was before that!Maybe the Guy before you lived on a farm or somewhere in the city with messed up streets (like Los Angeles)so it took a beating in the past 25000 miles plus what ever you did with it and there we go!
It can hapen,but i have not heard of another 55 with that problem...
Old 10-05-2008, 07:58 PM

CLK 55
bela, ur a tough customer homeboy, hahhaaha...is ur car still for sale?
Old 10-05-2008, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

///

Originally Posted by DBLNICKL
bela, ur a tough customer homeboy, hahhaaha...is ur car still for sale?
Oooh como esta senor DBLNICKL
The story with my cars!
I have people offering me 17-18k for it.
And then i ask them...so if i sell you this gorgeous CLK55 AMG for 17k,will you go around and say that you bought it for 17K?will you admit to it or will you say its a million $ Car and blow it all up?
Old 10-05-2008, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by BelaMeca
Oooh como esta senor DBLNICKL
The story with my cars!
I have people offering me 17-18k for it.
And then i ask them...so if i sell you this gorgeous CLK55 AMG for 17k,will you go around and say that you bought it for 17K?will you admit to it or will you say its a million $ Car and blow it all up?
If they were smart they would buy it for $17K and tell people its none of their GD business what they paid for it. Thats what I tell people.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

///

Originally Posted by Stiggs
If they were smart they would buy it for $17K and tell people its none of their GD business what they paid for it. Thats what I tell people.
True!
But still,the expression on the face of the last guy that was here to check out the car,when i asked him that....Priceless!!!
Old 10-06-2008, 10:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 CLK 55 AMG, IMCO muffler/Magnaflow tips, KW V1 coilovers, 19" Petrol Metrix Wheels
your car is at least worth 28k. keep it. be nice to the kid bela. he did do something a little silly but the rack still should not have gone out like that. who knows what could have caused it. you better feel lucky thought that your rack didnt break on the highway or something crazy like that.

bela's is busting your nuts b/c it is always hard to find sympathy when your are doing something the car was obviously not designed for.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

///

Originally Posted by AMGOODNESS
your car is at least worth 28k. keep it. be nice to the kid bela. he did do something a little silly but the rack still should not have gone out like that. who knows what could have caused it. you better feel lucky thought that your rack didnt break on the highway or something crazy like that.

bela's is busting your nuts b/c it is always hard to find sympathy when your are doing something the car was obviously not designed for.
Ok Ok Fine....i'll be nice!
Old 10-23-2008, 12:54 PM

2012 C63 sedan
update

You guys were right... the technician was at fault. Soverign Mercedes in brooklyn for those who know.

They changed the power steering pump, steering rack and lines.

they put a total of 3 pumps in the car. they claimed the system was contaminated with metal particles which screwed up the rack and the previous 2 pumps. But arnt you suppose to flush the system after changing a pump? But their loss.. it was all under warranty.