Notices
CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) Discuss the past, present and future CLK55 AMG and the CLK63 AMG.

911Cab vs S4 Cab vs CLK55 AMG Cab

 
Old 01-09-2009, 01:05 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 22
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 E430
911Cab vs S4 Cab vs CLK55 AMG Cab

Hello,

I'm looking for a sporty, fast convertible that can seat 4 (driver and 2 or 3 young kids).
My budget is around $25K
Vehicles I like are Porsche 911 (2002 or newer type 996)
Audi S4 (2005 or so)
MB CLK55 AMG (2004 or 2005)
Note that I insist on a cabriolet.

I am a long time PCA member, and currently have a 944 turbo set up for club racing, so I don't need another race car.

The Porsche would be the fastest, oldest and would probably have the most miles.
The Audi would have quattro, which is good, and a manual trans (which is also good) but would be the heaviest, which is not good. The Audi is also the cheapest.
The MB might be the 'coolest' but the most expensive to operate? It also has an automatic trans, which I don't care for, but could live with.

This would be a daily driver. I do have other vehicles for when the weather is real bad, etc.

Which would you select and why?

This is cross posted on Porsche, Audi, and MB forums.

Thanks,
Barry

Barry Lenoble
[email protected]
lenobleb is offline  
Old 01-09-2009, 01:28 PM
  #2  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Carl Lassiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: L.A., CA
Posts: 2,146
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
I'd say forget the P-car. Best driving experience but the least room by far and since you have a track car the former is not paramount.

So, leaves you with the S4 and the CLK55. I had an 06 S4 and it was a good car. Great speed in tight situations and from the lights but ran out of breath compared to powerful RWD cars on the highway. However, it has more than enough power compared to 99% of cars. Quality interior and sounds absolutely immense, as good as any V8 I've heard.

CLK55 I'm not the best person to ask. But from what I know, it's quicker than the S4 and despite it'slarger capacity will likely do better mileage (S4 would not go past 20 even driving like a saint on the hwy). It looks good and the 5.4 is a proven engine like the 4.2 in the Audi. You don't list your location but if you live in a dry, warm climate where AWD is not necessary and can live with a slushbox then I think the choice between the CLK55 and the Audi is one only a test drive will solve. For what it's worth, I'd lean towards the CLK for your needs.

Hope this helps and I'm sure others will chime in.

Last edited by Carl Lassiter; 01-09-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Carl Lassiter is offline  
Old 01-09-2009, 01:42 PM
  #3  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Chappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hotlanta
Posts: 9,635
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by lenobleb View Post
This would be a daily driver. I do have other vehicles for when the weather is real bad, etc.

Which would you select and why?

This is cross posted on Porsche, Audi, and MB forums.

Thanks,
Barry

Barry Lenoble
[email protected]
For daily driving duties, go with the benz hands down. The enormous torque of the 55 (376TQ) will be much more fun and useful in everyday driving situations.
Chappy is offline  
Old 01-13-2009, 11:57 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Hong Kong/Atlanta
Posts: 355
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63
I have been considering the same cars (but I'm looking for a hard top). I think that I have decided (I have just started my search) to go with a 2002 CLK55 over the 911 due to the rear space issues - the 911 has a back seat in name only and my 9 year old is growing quickly.

Similar to you, the lack of a third pedal in the M-B is a turnoff to me, but I can live with it. A bigger concern is the relative size of the tuner and support community -- the Porsche fan club and related after-market support is far larger than for the AMG.

I have not seriously considered the Audi, as I am concerned about Audi's reliability (several of my friends have had bad experiences).

My guess (and it is only a guess) is that the costs of maintenence for the 911 and AMG would be similar, assuming they are properly maintained (I do a lot of work myself, and have an independent M-B mechanic for big stuff).

Hope this helps.
ATL_MB is offline  
Old 01-13-2009, 04:28 PM
  #5  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Chappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hotlanta
Posts: 9,635
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by ATL_MB View Post
I have been considering the same cars (but I'm looking for a hard top). I think that I have decided (I have just started my search) to go with a 2002 CLK55 over the 911 due to the rear space issues - the 911 has a back seat in name only and my 9 year old is growing quickly.

Similar to you, the lack of a third pedal in the M-B is a turnoff to me, but I can live with it. A bigger concern is the relative size of the tuner and support community -- the Porsche fan club and related after-market support is far larger than for the AMG.

I have not seriously considered the Audi, as I am concerned about Audi's reliability (several of my friends have had bad experiences).

My guess (and it is only a guess) is that the costs of maintenence for the 911 and AMG would be similar, assuming they are properly maintained (I do a lot of work myself, and have an independent M-B mechanic for big stuff).

Hope this helps.
911 would be much higher in maintenance costs than a W208 CLK55.
Chappy is offline  
The following users liked this post:
sick430 (04-17-2017)
Old 01-13-2009, 05:09 PM
  #6  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 22
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 E430
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the comments.

Regarding the 911 rear seat, my kids (the ones that would ride in the back seat) are 11 (daughter) and 7 (son). They ride in the rear of my 944 (not the turbo race car) all the time and have enough room. I have sat (and had them sit) in a 996 and there is enough room for a few years. I would not take them on long trips with this car, just around town, errand type trips.

Regarding maintenance, I do most work myself (if you race you need big $$'s, or tools and time, guess which I have ). I'm confident that I can do most things on the MB. How are parts cost and availability?

One last thought, how do you feel about the base CLK 5.0 vs the AMG? I know this is an AMG forum, so I can guess the answers. As you know, there are MANY for 5.0's available than AMG. I'm a little worried about 'only' 300 HP to move a fairly heavy car.


Thanks,
Barry



Thanks,
Barry
lenobleb is offline  
Old 01-14-2009, 01:24 PM
  #7  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,645
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Why not also consider an E46 M3 vert? Decent back seat and manual tranny.

Also, a Jag (XK8 or the supercharged version) might fit your bill. Yes, it is a FoMoCo product, but it sure is pretty.

Just my .02
Vomit is offline  
Old 01-14-2009, 07:24 PM
  #8  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Chappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hotlanta
Posts: 9,635
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by lenobleb View Post
One last thought, how do you feel about the base CLK 5.0 vs the AMG? I know this is an AMG forum, so I can guess the answers. As you know, there are MANY for 5.0's available than AMG. I'm a little worried about 'only' 300 HP to move a fairly heavy car.
Barry,

Drive them both, then decide.
Chappy is offline  
Old 01-15-2009, 08:09 PM
  #9  
Super Member
 
ndabunka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 740
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No longer car shopping...
Unless the kids are under 2 years old, you can eliminate ALL of these choices as the back seats are not "reasonable" for kids over 3 years old unless you ENJOY footprints on the backs of the seats as there is no other place for them to put their feet (unless you are 4'8"" tall yourself, the seats in ALL of these will be pushed SO far back that the kids "may" be able to get their feet down...but not likely).
ndabunka is offline  
Old 01-17-2009, 01:15 AM
  #10  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,645
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
Unless the kids are under 2 years old, you can eliminate ALL of these choices as the back seats are not "reasonable" for kids over 3 years old unless you ENJOY footprints on the backs of the seats as there is no other place for them to put their feet (unless you are 4'8"" tall yourself, the seats in ALL of these will be pushed SO far back that the kids "may" be able to get their feet down...but not likely).
+1

Why can't someone build a big modern performance vert that can seat four six footers comfortably without spending a quarter mil plus (i.e. Rolls)???? Maybe a modern rendition of the Lincoln Continental, maybe even with the suicide doors? I am thinking MBZ S-Class or BMW 750 with a metal folding roof and stretch room for lazy days in the sun. Am I the only one who would buy this vehicle?
Vomit is offline  
Old 01-17-2009, 09:06 AM
  #11  
Super Member
 
LOVEMYBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Manassas, VA
Posts: 917
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
25K For a Cab Is Not Realistic

My budget is around $25K
Vehicles I like are Porsche 911 (2002 or newer type 996)
Audi S4 (2005 or so)
MB CLK55 AMG (2004 or 2005)
Note that I insist on a cabriolet.

I know the market is very soft right now but if you can find any of those cars for $25K (especially a cab) or less I'd like to know your source. I think your view of the market is unrealistic and you've set your sights too high - JMHO

Last edited by LOVEMYBS; 01-18-2009 at 07:19 PM.
LOVEMYBS is offline  
Old 01-18-2009, 07:09 PM
  #12  
Junior Member
 
fourml8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 66
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CLK55 AMG CABRIOLET
Originally Posted by 4ociousE55 View Post
My budget is around $25K
Vehicles I like are Porsche 911 (2002 or newer type 996)
Audi S4 (2005 or so)
MB CLK55 AMG (2004 or 2005)
Note that I insist on a cabriolet.

I know the market is tough right now but if you can find any of those cars for $25K (especially a cab) I'd like to know your source. I think your view of the market is unrealistic and you've set your sights too high - JMHO
agreed, sounds like u are asking for a lot paying very little. a 2005 CLK55 Cabriolet will likely set u back $30K (High mileage), $35K Average mileage, ~$40K low mileage.
fourml8r is offline  
Old 01-19-2009, 05:53 AM
  #13  
Member
 
Ol'School's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 237
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
somethings better left unsaid ...
If the Porsche in this comparison was a 997 (say C2S for instance) I would've voted for the p-car BUT against an older Porsche I think the CLK55 has the upper hand. I'm ruling the S4 out not only because it's my least favourate being an AWD car (which I'm not very much into) .. but also because it doesn't fit the OP's requirements that much being the non convertible car in this list.

the way I see it : you get the roomiest most updated choice with a big nice V8 driving the RWs, with the nicest interior and ride, that actually FITS your requirements. my .02.
Ol'School is offline  
Old 01-19-2009, 07:35 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
MARTYMAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 405
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07' IS 350, 08' E550
Under 30k with high mileage

Here's a link to the place where I purchased my car!

http://www.ocautohaus.com/inventory....odel=CLK-Class

Here's a brief description of the car....this dealership is family owned and they sell Mercedes cars like hot cakes lol..

2004 Mercedes-Benz CLK55 AMG convertible
Color: Brilliant Silver
Mileage: 71,033 miles
Price: $25,995

I bought my car for under 30k with 63k miles....same as this one listed except it's not a convertible
MARTYMAR is offline  
Old 01-19-2009, 12:15 PM
  #15  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 22
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 E430
Hi Guys,

I have test fit my 7 year old and 11 year old in the rear of a 996 cab. They do fit. I'm 5' 7" and don't need to put the seat back all that far. The kids don't have much room, but they won't be in that car for any long distance trips, more like being ferried to karate, gymnastics, hockey, etc. I haven't tried the MB or Audi, but I believe they have more room than the Porsche.

Regarding prices, I admit my budget is aggressive for the Porsche and for the MB. You can find Audi S4 cab with 6 speed for under 25K all day long. You can also find CLK50's for that money.

Either way I guess I need to drive all three to really decide.

Thanks for all comments.

Barry
lenobleb is offline  
Old 01-19-2009, 12:23 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
MARTYMAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 405
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07' IS 350, 08' E550
Originally Posted by lenobleb View Post
Hi Guys,

I have test fit my 7 year old and 11 year old in the rear of a 996 cab. They do fit. I'm 5' 7" and don't need to put the seat back all that far. The kids don't have much room, but they won't be in that car for any long distance trips, more like being ferried to karate, gymnastics, hockey, etc. I haven't tried the MB or Audi, but I believe they have more room than the Porsche.

Regarding prices, I admit my budget is aggressive for the Porsche and for the MB. You can find Audi S4 cab with 6 speed for under 25K all day long. You can also find CLK50's for that money.

Either way I guess I need to drive all three to really decide.

Thanks for all comments.

Barry
Good luck with your selection!
MARTYMAR is offline  
Old 01-19-2009, 01:08 PM
  #17  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sparks, NV
Posts: 613
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 CLK 55 AMG, IMCO muffler/Magnaflow tips, KW V1 coilovers, 19" Petrol Metrix Wheels
do not sleep on the S4 convertible. the Audi is a nice realiable car. AWD is nice in all weather conditions. The ride will be comfortable, it will have the most room of all three, and that 4.2 V-8 does sound really good. the S4 will be the slowest of the three however and its exterior styling is the most vanilla of the three. the porshce is going to be your best bet for resale, then the Audi, and then the MB. i do think the Audi is the best looking convertible of the bunch. a set of nice wheels and a small drop in ride height and it is the ultimate sleeper. i would also argue that the Audi has one of the nicest interiors. i looked at that car and my AMG and opted for the power of the 55. Plus i ultimately decided i did not want a convertible. i do not like th looks of the S4 saloon. the car is not available in a hardtop coupe.

honestly you can not really go wrong with any of your choices. it is going to come down to your personal preferences. they are all good cars in my opinion.
AMGOODNESS is offline  
Old 04-15-2017, 12:58 AM
  #18  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CLK55 AMG Cabriolet
Originally Posted by ATL_MB View Post
I have been considering the same cars (but I'm looking for a hard top). I think that I have decided (I have just started my search) to go with a 2002 CLK55 over the 911 due to the rear space issues - the 911 has a back seat in name only and my 9 year old is growing quickly.

Similar to you, the lack of a third pedal in the M-B is a turnoff to me, but I can live with it. A bigger concern is the relative size of the tuner and support community -- the Porsche fan club and related after-market support is far larger than for the AMG.

I have not seriously considered the Audi, as I am concerned about Audi's reliability (several of my friends have had bad experiences).

My guess (and it is only a guess) is that the costs of maintenence for the 911 and AMG would be similar, assuming they are properly maintained (I do a lot of work myself, and have an independent M-B mechanic for big stuff).

Hope this helps.
Previous owner of C4 996 Cab. Changed over to Merc CLK55 AMG 2005.

Not a P, but teenage sons and adults can sit in the 55. Not in the 911.

I miss the AWD. The 55 spins the wheels unless you drive respectfully. something my 996 C4 never did.
ShaunCLK55Cab is offline  
Old 04-16-2017, 10:00 PM
  #19  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
GatorMB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,385
Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
It is a difficult decision you are selecting three sports oriented vehicles for family use.

Im afraid I would vote for the AWD Audi. My CLK has four seats but not really a nice cruise for the passengers. or the driver for that matter when seat has to crunch closer to the dash.
The only drawback with Audi is an arrogant design of parts among models that makes them independent and expensive. Mercedes, Porsche, BMW learned many years ago to make modular parts.
When hosting passengers especially family, HP is not as important as safety and comfort.
My 2 cents, Best Gator

Yo This was from 2009 Happy Easter

Last edited by GatorMB; 04-16-2017 at 10:04 PM. Reason: added content
GatorMB is offline  
Old 04-16-2017, 10:32 PM
  #20  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CLK55 AMG Cabriolet
Originally Posted by GatorMB View Post
It is a difficult decision you are selecting three sports oriented vehicles for family use.

Im afraid I would vote for the AWD Audi. My CLK has four seats but not really a nice cruise for the passengers. or the driver for that matter when seat has to crunch closer to the dash.
The only drawback with Audi is an arrogant design of parts among models that makes them independent and expensive. Mercedes, Porsche, BMW learned many years ago to make modular parts.
When hosting passengers especially family, HP is not as important as safety and comfort.
My 2 cents, Best Gator

Yo This was from 2009 Happy Easter
I am sure the Audi is a killer machine, but it is NOT a 911. The CLK55 is a beast, but also NOT a 911.

I researched this long and hard, and went with the 55 Cabrio. Agreed probably not as comfortable as the Audi? But i am not sure.

Not saying an Audi is 2nd or 3rd prize.

I have had some niggles, drivers side door lock replacement, radiator replacement, finnicky wheel alignment (which was same as the 911), heavy on tyres (same as 911),
ShaunCLK55Cab is offline  
Old 04-24-2017, 02:55 PM
  #21  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 214
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2003 CLK500, 2003 CLK55, 2008 CLK550
Lol, well, Im hoping he doesnt need anymore help picking his car out. Since this was posted in 2009 (as gator saw), Im really hoping hes made his decision by now!!

Shaun, how far back did you go to dig this up?!?! Hahaha
91ser is offline  
Old 04-24-2017, 02:57 PM
  #22  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 214
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2003 CLK500, 2003 CLK55, 2008 CLK550
And if anybody is looking for the "correct" to 2017 answer, with a $25k budgest and a requirement of a drop top, youd go with the CLK63 cab
91ser is offline  
The following users liked this post:
sick430 (04-26-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 05:27 PM
  #23  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 22
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 E430
Blast from the past

Hey,

Wow, talk about an old post.

To close the loop, in March of 2009 I bought a 2000 911 Cab. I paid $22,500, and it had 70k miles on it. I still have it and the miles are now about 91K. It has been fun to drive, reliable, and affordable. My kids enjoyed it for a few years but no one has sat in the rear seats in about 5 years.

I don't daily drive it, in fact I need to drive it more often, only putting 2-3K miles a year on it.

In the 7+ years I have owned it I have changed the brake pads once, a water pump, a set of wheels and tires, and 3 batteries.

Take care,
Barry
lenobleb is offline  
The following users liked this post:
GatorMB (05-01-2017)
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: