CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

911Cab vs S4 Cab vs CLK55 AMG Cab

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 01:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 E430
911Cab vs S4 Cab vs CLK55 AMG Cab

Hello,

I'm looking for a sporty, fast convertible that can seat 4 (driver and 2 or 3 young kids).
My budget is around $25K
Vehicles I like are Porsche 911 (2002 or newer type 996)
Audi S4 (2005 or so)
MB CLK55 AMG (2004 or 2005)
Note that I insist on a cabriolet.

I am a long time PCA member, and currently have a 944 turbo set up for club racing, so I don't need another race car.

The Porsche would be the fastest, oldest and would probably have the most miles.
The Audi would have quattro, which is good, and a manual trans (which is also good) but would be the heaviest, which is not good. The Audi is also the cheapest.
The MB might be the 'coolest' but the most expensive to operate? It also has an automatic trans, which I don't care for, but could live with.

This would be a daily driver. I do have other vehicles for when the weather is real bad, etc.

Which would you select and why?

This is cross posted on Porsche, Audi, and MB forums.

Thanks,
Barry

Barry Lenoble
lenoble@optonline.net
Old 01-09-2009, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
I'd say forget the P-car. Best driving experience but the least room by far and since you have a track car the former is not paramount.

So, leaves you with the S4 and the CLK55. I had an 06 S4 and it was a good car. Great speed in tight situations and from the lights but ran out of breath compared to powerful RWD cars on the highway. However, it has more than enough power compared to 99% of cars. Quality interior and sounds absolutely immense, as good as any V8 I've heard.

CLK55 I'm not the best person to ask. But from what I know, it's quicker than the S4 and despite it'slarger capacity will likely do better mileage (S4 would not go past 20 even driving like a saint on the hwy). It looks good and the 5.4 is a proven engine like the 4.2 in the Audi. You don't list your location but if you live in a dry, warm climate where AWD is not necessary and can live with a slushbox then I think the choice between the CLK55 and the Audi is one only a test drive will solve. For what it's worth, I'd lean towards the CLK for your needs.

Hope this helps and I'm sure others will chime in.

Last edited by Carl Lassiter; 01-09-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by lenobleb
This would be a daily driver. I do have other vehicles for when the weather is real bad, etc.

Which would you select and why?

This is cross posted on Porsche, Audi, and MB forums.

Thanks,
Barry

Barry Lenoble
lenoble@optonline.net
For daily driving duties, go with the benz hands down. The enormous torque of the 55 (376TQ) will be much more fun and useful in everyday driving situations.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63
I have been considering the same cars (but I'm looking for a hard top). I think that I have decided (I have just started my search) to go with a 2002 CLK55 over the 911 due to the rear space issues - the 911 has a back seat in name only and my 9 year old is growing quickly.

Similar to you, the lack of a third pedal in the M-B is a turnoff to me, but I can live with it. A bigger concern is the relative size of the tuner and support community -- the Porsche fan club and related after-market support is far larger than for the AMG.

I have not seriously considered the Audi, as I am concerned about Audi's reliability (several of my friends have had bad experiences).

My guess (and it is only a guess) is that the costs of maintenence for the 911 and AMG would be similar, assuming they are properly maintained (I do a lot of work myself, and have an independent M-B mechanic for big stuff).

Hope this helps.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by ATL_MB
I have been considering the same cars (but I'm looking for a hard top). I think that I have decided (I have just started my search) to go with a 2002 CLK55 over the 911 due to the rear space issues - the 911 has a back seat in name only and my 9 year old is growing quickly.

Similar to you, the lack of a third pedal in the M-B is a turnoff to me, but I can live with it. A bigger concern is the relative size of the tuner and support community -- the Porsche fan club and related after-market support is far larger than for the AMG.

I have not seriously considered the Audi, as I am concerned about Audi's reliability (several of my friends have had bad experiences).

My guess (and it is only a guess) is that the costs of maintenence for the 911 and AMG would be similar, assuming they are properly maintained (I do a lot of work myself, and have an independent M-B mechanic for big stuff).

Hope this helps.
911 would be much higher in maintenance costs than a W208 CLK55.
The following users liked this post:
sick430 (04-17-2017)
Old 01-13-2009, 05:09 PM

02 E430
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the comments.

Regarding the 911 rear seat, my kids (the ones that would ride in the back seat) are 11 (daughter) and 7 (son). They ride in the rear of my 944 (not the turbo race car) all the time and have enough room. I have sat (and had them sit) in a 996 and there is enough room for a few years. I would not take them on long trips with this car, just around town, errand type trips.

Regarding maintenance, I do most work myself (if you race you need big $$'s, or tools and time, guess which I have ). I'm confident that I can do most things on the MB. How are parts cost and availability?

One last thought, how do you feel about the base CLK 5.0 vs the AMG? I know this is an AMG forum, so I can guess the answers. As you know, there are MANY for 5.0's available than AMG. I'm a little worried about 'only' 300 HP to move a fairly heavy car.

Thanks,
Barry

Thanks,
Barry
Old 01-14-2009, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Why not also consider an E46 M3 vert? Decent back seat and manual tranny.

Also, a Jag (XK8 or the supercharged version) might fit your bill. Yes, it is a FoMoCo product, but it sure is pretty.

Just my .02
Old 01-14-2009, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
One last thought, how do you feel about the base CLK 5.0 vs the AMG? I know this is an AMG forum, so I can guess the answers. As you know, there are MANY for 5.0's available than AMG. I'm a little worried about 'only' 300 HP to move a fairly heavy car.
Barry,

Drive them both, then decide.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:09 PM

No longer car shopping...
Unless the kids are under 2 years old, you can eliminate ALL of these choices as the back seats are not "reasonable" for kids over 3 years old unless you ENJOY footprints on the backs of the seats as there is no other place for them to put their feet (unless you are 4'8"" tall yourself, the seats in ALL of these will be pushed SO far back that the kids "may" be able to get their feet down...but not likely).
Old 01-17-2009, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Originally Posted by ndabunka
Unless the kids are under 2 years old, you can eliminate ALL of these choices as the back seats are not "reasonable" for kids over 3 years old unless you ENJOY footprints on the backs of the seats as there is no other place for them to put their feet (unless you are 4'8"" tall yourself, the seats in ALL of these will be pushed SO far back that the kids "may" be able to get their feet down...but not likely).
+1

Why can't someone build a big modern performance vert that can seat four six footers comfortably without spending a quarter mil plus (i.e. Rolls)???? Maybe a modern rendition of the Lincoln Continental, maybe even with the suicide doors? I am thinking MBZ S-Class or BMW 750 with a metal folding roof and stretch room for lazy days in the sun. Am I the only one who would buy this vehicle?
Old 01-17-2009, 09:06 AM

10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
25K For a Cab Is Not Realistic

My budget is around $25K
Audi S4 (2005 or so)

I know the market is very soft right now but if you can find any of those cars for $25K (especially a cab) or less I'd like to know your source. I think your view of the market is unrealistic and you've set your sights too high - JMHO

Last edited by LOVEMYBS; 01-18-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:09 PM

2005 CLK55 AMG CABRIOLET
Originally Posted by 4ociousE55
My budget is around $25K
Audi S4 (2005 or so)

I know the market is tough right now but if you can find any of those cars for $25K (especially a cab) I'd like to know your source. I think your view of the market is unrealistic and you've set your sights too high - JMHO
agreed, sounds like u are asking for a lot paying very little. a 2005 CLK55 Cabriolet will likely set u back $30K (High mileage), $35K Average mileage, ~$40K low mileage.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:53 AM

somethings better left unsaid ...
If the Porsche in this comparison was a 997 (say C2S for instance) I would've voted for the p-car BUT against an older Porsche I think the CLK55 has the upper hand. I'm ruling the S4 out not only because it's my least favourate being an AWD car (which I'm not very much into) .. but also because it doesn't fit the OP's requirements that much being the non convertible car in this list.

the way I see it : you get the roomiest most updated choice with a big nice V8 driving the RWs, with the nicest interior and ride, that actually FITS your requirements. my .02.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:35 AM

07' IS 350, 08' E550
Under 30k with high mileage

Here's a link to the place where I purchased my car!

http://www.ocautohaus.com/inventory....odel=CLK-Class

Here's a brief description of the car....this dealership is family owned and they sell Mercedes cars like hot cakes lol..

2004 Mercedes-Benz CLK55 AMG convertible
Color: Brilliant Silver
Mileage: 71,033 miles
Price: $25,995

I bought my car for under 30k with 63k miles....same as this one listed except it's not a convertible
Old 01-19-2009, 12:15 PM

02 E430
Hi Guys,

I have test fit my 7 year old and 11 year old in the rear of a 996 cab. They do fit. I'm 5' 7" and don't need to put the seat back all that far. The kids don't have much room, but they won't be in that car for any long distance trips, more like being ferried to karate, gymnastics, hockey, etc. I haven't tried the MB or Audi, but I believe they have more room than the Porsche.

Regarding prices, I admit my budget is aggressive for the Porsche and for the MB. You can find Audi S4 cab with 6 speed for under 25K all day long. You can also find CLK50's for that money.

Either way I guess I need to drive all three to really decide.

Thanks for all comments.

Barry
Old 01-19-2009, 12:23 PM

07' IS 350, 08' E550
Hi Guys,

I have test fit my 7 year old and 11 year old in the rear of a 996 cab. They do fit. I'm 5' 7" and don't need to put the seat back all that far. The kids don't have much room, but they won't be in that car for any long distance trips, more like being ferried to karate, gymnastics, hockey, etc. I haven't tried the MB or Audi, but I believe they have more room than the Porsche.

Regarding prices, I admit my budget is aggressive for the Porsche and for the MB. You can find Audi S4 cab with 6 speed for under 25K all day long. You can also find CLK50's for that money.

Either way I guess I need to drive all three to really decide.

Thanks for all comments.

Barry
Good luck with your selection!
Old 01-19-2009, 01:08 PM

03 CLK 55 AMG, IMCO muffler/Magnaflow tips, KW V1 coilovers, 19" Petrol Metrix Wheels
do not sleep on the S4 convertible. the Audi is a nice realiable car. AWD is nice in all weather conditions. The ride will be comfortable, it will have the most room of all three, and that 4.2 V-8 does sound really good. the S4 will be the slowest of the three however and its exterior styling is the most vanilla of the three. the porshce is going to be your best bet for resale, then the Audi, and then the MB. i do think the Audi is the best looking convertible of the bunch. a set of nice wheels and a small drop in ride height and it is the ultimate sleeper. i would also argue that the Audi has one of the nicest interiors. i looked at that car and my AMG and opted for the power of the 55. Plus i ultimately decided i did not want a convertible. i do not like th looks of the S4 saloon. the car is not available in a hardtop coupe.

honestly you can not really go wrong with any of your choices. it is going to come down to your personal preferences. they are all good cars in my opinion.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:58 AM

2005 CLK55 AMG Cabriolet
Originally Posted by ATL_MB

Hope this helps.
Previous owner of C4 996 Cab. Changed over to Merc CLK55 AMG 2005.

Not a P, but teenage sons and adults can sit in the 55. Not in the 911.

I miss the AWD. The 55 spins the wheels unless you drive respectfully. something my 996 C4 never did.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
It is a difficult decision you are selecting three sports oriented vehicles for family use.

Im afraid I would vote for the AWD Audi. My CLK has four seats but not really a nice cruise for the passengers. or the driver for that matter when seat has to crunch closer to the dash.
The only drawback with Audi is an arrogant design of parts among models that makes them independent and expensive. Mercedes, Porsche, BMW learned many years ago to make modular parts.
When hosting passengers especially family, HP is not as important as safety and comfort.
My 2 cents, Best Gator

Yo This was from 2009 Happy Easter

Last edited by GatorMB; 04-16-2017 at 10:04 PM. Reason: added content
Old 04-16-2017, 10:32 PM

2005 CLK55 AMG Cabriolet
Originally Posted by GatorMB
It is a difficult decision you are selecting three sports oriented vehicles for family use.

Im afraid I would vote for the AWD Audi. My CLK has four seats but not really a nice cruise for the passengers. or the driver for that matter when seat has to crunch closer to the dash.
The only drawback with Audi is an arrogant design of parts among models that makes them independent and expensive. Mercedes, Porsche, BMW learned many years ago to make modular parts.
When hosting passengers especially family, HP is not as important as safety and comfort.
My 2 cents, Best Gator

Yo This was from 2009 Happy Easter
I am sure the Audi is a killer machine, but it is NOT a 911. The CLK55 is a beast, but also NOT a 911.

I researched this long and hard, and went with the 55 Cabrio. Agreed probably not as comfortable as the Audi? But i am not sure.

Not saying an Audi is 2nd or 3rd prize.

I have had some niggles, drivers side door lock replacement, radiator replacement, finnicky wheel alignment (which was same as the 911), heavy on tyres (same as 911),
Old 04-24-2017, 02:55 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CLK500, 2003 CLK55, 2008 CLK550
Lol, well, Im hoping he doesnt need anymore help picking his car out. Since this was posted in 2009 (as gator saw), Im really hoping hes made his decision by now!!

Shaun, how far back did you go to dig this up?!?! Hahaha
Old 04-24-2017, 02:57 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CLK500, 2003 CLK55, 2008 CLK550
And if anybody is looking for the "correct" to 2017 answer, with a $25k budgest and a requirement of a drop top, youd go with the CLK63 cab
sick430 (04-26-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 05:27 PM

02 E430
Blast from the past

Hey,

Wow, talk about an old post.

To close the loop, in March of 2009 I bought a 2000 911 Cab. I paid $22,500, and it had 70k miles on it. I still have it and the miles are now about 91K. It has been fun to drive, reliable, and affordable. My kids enjoyed it for a few years but no one has sat in the rear seats in about 5 years.

I don't daily drive it, in fact I need to drive it more often, only putting 2-3K miles a year on it.

In the 7+ years I have owned it I have changed the brake pads once, a water pump, a set of wheels and tires, and 3 batteries.

Take care,
Barry
GatorMB (05-01-2017)