CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

PowerChip takes CLK55 to 381HP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
PowerChip takes CLK55 to 381HP!

www.powerchipgroup.com is advertising 381HP, 413 lb-ft chip tuning using 93 octane for $990 for W208. Their Data sheet:

http://www.powerchipgroup.com/datasheets/2/Mer0044.pdf

Last edited by E55 KEV; 02-11-2003 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-10-2003, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 CLK430
im skeptical.....

wish they could show some real dyno charts, i can draw those on MS Excel....

id be interested to see real dyno charts though, as this is much more than other chip companies claim.
Old 02-10-2003, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GLK250 BlueTec & 2009 ML320 BlueTec
Hmmm, 19 HP with this www.powerchipgroup.com plus 13 HP I have with my evosport ud pulleys, plus around 10 HP with K&N air filters and AMG exhaust, thats 317 HP! Is this true?
Ben, any comments here. Are this finally the chips everyone has been waiting for?

Last edited by theine; 02-10-2003 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
ECU Chip The Real Deal Or Another Fake ?

After reviewing their site, it appears to be the real deal, but that's what everyone thought about junk bonds ? Is it to good to be true ? Does anyone at this forum have any dealing with this company, or the product in question? I am very tempted to buy the chip, but I would hate to have the sucker sigh hanging over my head. Below is a testimonial from a E55 owner :

Testimonials

Submitted by: Rob Week

Car: Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG 5.5 V8
Chip purchased: January, 2003
Testimonial added: 11/2/2003
Customer comments:
I can't believe this works...I just shipped my chip overnight to LA and the following day, I installed it back into my car. Now its just such a fun car to drive. I like to rev it all the way and take advantage of the new rev limit. And the other good thing is, now I can reach my cars maximum speed without it cutting out and hitting the 'speed wall'. Overall, great product, and thanks for the customer service as well...I'll be sure to tell my friends about you guys
Old 02-11-2003, 01:13 PM

CLK55, Mini S
Customer Testimonial...

Ummm, duh, i luk 2 sit en muh girage an rev duh ingine too da limitor, sew i kin smell de burnin cylydurs. Reelly cuul!
Old 02-11-2003, 02:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

If they make half those gains, that will be more than any others so far... In reality, you aren't going to get 15+ hp on an OBDII naturally aspirated Mercedes engine.
Old 02-11-2003, 02:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
I don't think those are dynoed numbers by any means, why didn't they work with RWHP?
Besides that testimonial was posted today, after two of us called them and ask about their chip for the AMG vehicle, so I'm not completely convinced that is a true customer, it just seems like a very BIG coincidence that somebody would post a testimonial right after a few inquiries and me mentioning we were talking about them here at mbworld.

I'd be willing to try them if everybody here sends me a check for $20.00 bucks, I'll dyno my car before and after and give you guys detailed info on results (I'll be the guinea piggy)
Old 02-11-2003, 05:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Before you volunteer... I had an experience with another company that resulted with my car running on 5 of 8 cylinders. That is not the key to power gains! Let someone else be the guinea pig
Old 02-11-2003, 05:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Originally posted by Mach430
Before you volunteer... I had an experience with another company that resulted with my car running on 5 of 8 cylinders. That is not the key to power gains! Let someone else be the guinea pig
Well, after volunteering and surviving Windows ME and Windows XP beta releases I feel i can survive anything
But you got a point.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GLK250 BlueTec & 2009 ML320 BlueTec
What a shame, because the company looked very professional, with outlets around the world.....but to spend 900 bucks and have your car run in 5 cyl, I can do that for free.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:23 PM

07 SL550; C32 (sold)
since you have 14 days to return the chip, you should just run it a bit before dynoing again. my 2 cents.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Originally posted by CLK 69
I remember this company. I looked into them when they were in Australia.

"Beginning in Australia in 1991, Powerchip has now sold to over 47 countries around the world, and has recently expanded to USA, based in Santa Monica, California."

I live right next door so I'll be the guinea pig.

Anybody know of a Dyno in the Santa Monica area?
Great, i just talked to them about it, and they say they've done it before on AMG engines and that there is a nice difference you can feel, I'll probably do it in a couple of weeks, I even asked Travis if I was going to be the guinea pig and he insisted that I wasn't, he'll garantee improvements or my money back, but he did ask me not to go only by dyno numbers but take in consideration my personal feel and track times, all of that sounds fair, dyno numbers can be deceiving some times. I'll have to wait at least until the end of next week.
So when are you going to do it? If we can have your opinion before me doing it it would be great!
Old 02-11-2003, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by pocholin
Great, i just talked to them about it, and they say they've done it before on AMG engines and that there is a nice difference you can feel, I'll probably do it in a couple of weeks, I even asked Travis if I was going to be the guinea pig and he insisted that I wasn't, he'll garantee improvements or my money back, but he did ask me not to go only by dyno numbers but take in consideration my personal feel and track times, all of that sounds fair, dyno numbers can be deceiving some times.
Dyno numbers can be deceiving? Not when they are promising you certain gains in hp and torque. There either there or not. I'd say that the potential for being deceived by wishful thinking coupled with rough judgments of "feel" is much greater. Not saying his chip doesn't work.... just don't let them convince you that gains are there if you can't see them on a dyno.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:09 PM

07 SL550; C32 (sold)
Great, i just talked to them about it, and they say they've done it before on AMG engines and that there is a nice difference you can feel, I'll probably do it in a couple of weeks, I even asked Travis if I was going to be the guinea pig and he insisted that I wasn't, he'll garantee improvements or my money back, but he did ask me not to go only by dyno numbers but take in consideration my personal feel and track times, all of that sounds fair, dyno numbers can be deceiving some times. I'll have to wait at least until the end of next week.
So when are you going to do it? If we can have your opinion before me doing it it would be great!
my opinion would be that "feel" can be deceiving at times rather than dyno numbers. a chip can certainly make shifts shift harder making you think that you have more power, etc. etc. but does not actually improve on hp and tq. i would go for dyno numbers to prove that their stated gain is for real rather than smoke and mirrors.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Originally posted by Sleestack
Dyno numbers can be deceiving? Not when they are promising you certain gains in hp and torque. There either there or not. I'd say that the potential for being deceived by wishful thinking coupled with rough judgments of "feel" is much greater. Not saying his chip doesn't work.... just don't let them convince you that gains are there if you can't see them on a dyno.
While you are right on your comment, dyno number can be deveiving at time, how do you kno the dyno is properly calibrated from day 1 to day 3? Your car's running temp, and the ambient temp. That's how it can be deceiving, but IMO track numbers and dyno number should be the combination for measuring these king of smaller improvements, although track numbers can also be altered by running conditions (such as temp and humidity)

I really doubt I'll see 24 hp improvements, I'll be happy if I get 15 hp, I'll be extremelly happy if I do see 24 hp, which would mean I could brake in to the high 12s in the 1/4 mile with either increase. The only way to find out is trying it, worst case scenario I get my money back and forget about the deal.

CLK69, why did you delete your posts?
Old 02-11-2003, 09:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Originally posted by amgme
my opinion would be that "feel" can be deceiving at times rather than dyno numbers. a chip can certainly make shifts shift harder making you think that you have more power, etc. etc. but does not actually improve on hp and tq. i would go for dyno numbers to prove that their stated gain is for real rather than smoke and mirrors.
It is my understanding that any transmission changes (shift points and firmness) can't be done at the ECU, but have to be done at another device. Can somebody confirm this?
Old 02-11-2003, 09:19 PM

2002 C32 AMG
CLK Chip

pocholin
I think I will take the dive with you, I just want to clarify the Money Back Scenario - If They Stand by Their Product and a Full Refund Is Truly Optional, Then What is there to loose? What is the turn over time on the refund? - Apparently This Company sells allot of the chips to the BMW M5 guys, And they rave about it (as per their forum) I plan on contacting them tomorrow. I will post the outcome of the conversation. If I am satisfied with the outcome I will start the process and advise all.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:48 PM

CLK55
WOW.

Wayne just called me back and told me that I couldn't get the chip tomorrow because their lawers advised him not to because the chip is currently not CARB certified in California. They should be receiving the certification in 30 days though.

Then he said something because of my posts on this board.

"You are the one with the blue car, right?"

What posts is he talking about???

Also he appeard very concernd about before and after dynos..

I wish, I wish, I wish I had recorded those conversations....

Gosh, I wish all companies were as forthcoming as KLEEMANN
Old 02-11-2003, 10:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Originally posted by CLK 69
WOW.

Wayne just called me back and told me that I couldn't get the chip tomorrow because their lawers advised him not to because the chip is currently not CARB certified in California. They should be receiving the certification in 30 days though.

Then he said something because of my posts on this board.

"You are the one with the blue car, right?"

What posts is he talking about???

Also he appeard very concernd about before and after dynos..

I wish, I wish, I wish I had recorded those conversations....

Gosh, I wish all companies were as forthcoming as KLEEMANN
Ohh yes, I remember reading somewhere that is was legal in 49 states! You are out of luck. I did sense that they don't want to be tied to dyno numbers, yet their hp gains look great, I compared the performance gains they claim for a M5 and it is only 9 HP, so it makes me think that they wouldn't post unreal numbers.

Or course 24 hp gain is under perfect conditions (like car manufacturers), 10% humidity, 50°F weather, cold engine, clean injectors, clean air filters, 93 octane from a good gas station, etc. Like I said before I'll be happy with 15 real hp gain, althouh 24 would be great.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
I would very strongly recommend that anyone who thinks chipping can give an N/A motor

any noticible increase in horsepower read...

....this:

Last edited by Improviz; 02-11-2003 at 11:26 PM.
Old 02-12-2003, 03:25 AM
Out Of Control!!

It can be done, we've seen it on BMW's many times. But I have yet to see anything positive come from MB software. Hopefully Powerchip will have the solution, but without a dyno guarantee, I would not recommend trying anything.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:14 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Re: I would very strongly recommend that anyone who thinks chipping can give an N/A motor

Originally posted by Improviz
any noticible increase in horsepower read...

....this:
Well, it worked on my 96 impala SS which BTW uses OBDII (as the Benzes), the over the counter Power Programmer Plus. It also works on my Suburban, you get noticable gains and better gas milage. They are advertised as 15 hp or so for what I remember. i'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and try it, it might be worth for the extra rpm range and the speed delimiter.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Did you read the article? They didn't get any noteworthy increases in performance.

Ymmv, but the article in question makes some pretty valid points, and I'm staying stock.

Plus, 160 or so is plenty fast enough for me!

Well, it worked on my 96 impala SS which BTW uses OBDII (as the Benzes), the over the counter Power Programmer Plus. It also works on my Suburban, you get noticable gains and better gas milage. They are advertised as 15 hp or so for what I remember. i'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and try it, it might be worth for the extra rpm range and the speed delimiter.
Old 02-12-2003, 01:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Not to jump in and promote our own products, but please explain why you would rather do an ECU upgrade for $990 that MAY provide 15hp by changing the way the engine works, instead of our underdrive pulleys that will add 13hp at the wheels (equivalent to ~16.5 crank hp) for $499 (plus 1-3 hours install) and does not in any way affect the engine? Our pulleys do not add power at the engine, they free up power from the over-powered accessories, which allows more to be delivered at the wheels. Our pulleys can also be swapped back to stock at any time, which is much easier than resodering a new chip in your ECU (which is definitely noticable).
Old 02-12-2003, 01:45 PM

2002 C32 AMG
underdrive pulleys

Makes Sense, Where can I have this done ? I live in Northern N.J I would be interested in doing this.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PowerChip takes CLK55 to 381HP!