CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

2001 clk55 amg with a HPS supercharger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 300sl
2001 clk55 amg with a HPS supercharger

Hi, Can anyone REPLY with comment / opinion please.

I am interested in buying a 2001 clk55 amg with a HPS supercharger (http://www.myhps.com/ )
The vehicle has 93,000 miles and well documented from new.

Is this a reliable - HPS supercharger system??

Thanks in advance
Old 10-11-2009, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
run away

you can't run fast enough.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:33 PM

1990 300sl
Thanks..... can you explain please??
Old 10-12-2009, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

search

please use the search function on mbworld. There are a ton of threads regarding HPS and should be able to give you a really clear picture.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by SLK55R
please use the search function on mbworld. There are a ton of threads regarding HPS and should be able to give you a really clear picture.
+1...................
Old 10-13-2009, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
Wouldn't it have been just to easy to give him an idea of what is wrong with the supercharger system?

I really do not understand why people say do a search. I am a forum member on over 2 dozen forums, and not once have I said just do a search. It is ignorant.

If you know the answer say so, if not, I am sure he can find the search button on his own accord and use it under his on intuition.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Good point Uber, never thought of it that way. I guess if your gonna make the effort to post "do a search" you may as well post something relivant to the subject.

I would hate to fish and read through all the HPS mud on here trying to make what of what.

If its a Gen1 HPS search member GreggC and you'll find that the HPSgen1 is too small for 5.5L. If its a Gen2 kit search member AMGSC and there is a good example of gen2 5.5L issues. In other words Gen1=too small and Gen2=broken things.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:18 PM

1990 300sl
Hi Thanks for all the comments.

Any comments/ideas, what would the cost be to have the car put back to stock - if the S/C becomes problematic? And would there be a market for a used HSP gen1

Thanks in advance
Old 10-13-2009, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
Originally Posted by Ubergeist
Wouldn't it have been just to easy to give him an idea of what is wrong with the supercharger system?

I really do not understand why people say do a search. I am a forum member on over 2 dozen forums, and not once have I said just do a search. It is ignorant..

You've been a member of this forum since 2007 and you only got about 163 posts. It look to me like you're one of those members only post when you need help. For many of us included myself are very tired responsed to posts with the same question for years. How do you feel if you have to explains about something 100 times over and over again? I'm one of the victim of that company SC and I didn't even want to response to the thread. As you can see why. So, do us all a favors, do a "SEARCH" first then ask if you can find the infos!!! The "SEARCH" feature is there for a reason so USE IT !!! Don't be that LAZY @$@## !!!
Old 10-13-2009, 03:54 PM

1990 300sl
Hi Klinh, I am new to forum. I have done search on HPS, but a simple answer to simple question is what I am looking for, without spending to much time. Thanks for your comments
Old 10-13-2009, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by peter7907
Hi Klinh, I am new to forum. I have done search on HPS, but a simple answer to simple question is what I am looking for, without spending to much time. Thanks for your comments

I think you already got your answer for your simple question. So far, people are telling you to run away, right? It the ending result is what really matter. So all you have to, is read the last 5-10 pages of the 80+ pages in that thread then decide.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Klinh
You've been a member of this forum since 2007 and you only got about 163 posts. It look to me like you're one of those members only post when you need help. For many of us included myself are very tired responsed to posts with the same question for years. How do you feel if you have to explains about something 100 times over and over again? I'm one of the victim of that company SC and I didn't even want to response to the thread. As you can see why. So, do us all a favors, do a "SEARCH" first then ask if you can find the infos!!! The "SEARCH" feature is there for a reason so USE IT !!! Don't be that LAZY @$@## !!!
You did the right thing. You didn't post. If you are going to waste time by saying search. Might as well do it being constructive. Otherwise, say nothing.

The reason for my low post count, is this is my first "true" MB, owned two Crossfires, a srt-6 and limited. So I am more involved now. I've posted dyno numbers, and track times. On other forums, when questions are asked, and I know, I answer them, regardless of how many times they were asked. Doesn't bother me the slightest.

Also, if I was a victim of this company, I'd make it my duty to make others aware and not feel inconvenienced or annoyed when someone asks about them.

That's just me though.
The following users liked this post:
Bmo Pete (06-05-2020)
Old 10-14-2009, 10:23 AM

1990 300sl
Hi,
Just a comment about being a victim. I did speak to several people who have had good experiences in dealing with HPS. Unfortunately, people fall victim to the most prestigious of companies. If i do buy the CLK 55, I will post results.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi,
Just a comment about being a victim. I did speak to several people who have had good experiences in dealing with HPS. Unfortunately, people fall victim to the most prestigious of companies. If i do buy the CLK 55, I will post results.

This is why I don't responsed and only asked you to read the thread instead because one question will lead to another and another....etc so on.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
This is why I don't responsed and only asked you to read the thread instead because one question will lead to another and another....etc so on.
Exactly.The reason most people are directed to use the "search" function on topics like this are there are 2 sides of the story.The first is the consumer that purchased and then installed the product and is unhappy with its performance/claims.The other side is the supplier or factory which manufactured the product and now has to defend its product and or reputation.Somewhere between the 2 stories/accounts is the truth.It is up to you to use your judgement based upon the facts provided as to wether or not you procede.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ubergeist
Also, if I was a victim of this company, I'd make it my duty to make others aware and not feel inconvenienced or annoyed when someone asks about them..

What do you think we meant when we said to do a "SEARCH"....? There are 5 people responsed to the thread and we all asked him to use the "SEARCH" feature which meant we all felt the same.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:18 PM

1990 300sl
Hi all, The original post was....(Can anyone REPLY with comment / opinion please).

Now, as a person looking to make a choice quickly, i was looking for some quick simple comments such as; yes its a good product / no it was crap and so on..... somewhat like survey. I know about searches, they take a lot of time and sometimes its like reading a court transcript. No offense to this forum, but there seems to be a lot talking in third person. I would much prefer to speak/write to the individual.

Nobody is addressing the issue directly at me, the person that posted the original message. Though, thank you for everyones input.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:35 PM

1990 300sl
My apology to Klinh My comment about third person was wrong. I misread your comments. You did refer to me as ( you ).

thanks
Old 10-15-2009, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What do you think we meant when we said to do a "SEARCH"....? There are 5 people responsed to the thread and we all asked him to use the "SEARCH" feature which meant we all felt the same.
Or you could have stated your opinion/take on them. Then say, try searching the forum for more information if you like.

Not just, use the search button noob, and don't inconvenience me with your 3 questions.

If I know, I tell them. This forum is to help others and a place where car enthusiasts can converse. I see it like this, if you were at a car meet, and a guy asked a question about your car, would you say, Geez, just go search on the internet, you know how many times I told people about my setup.

I am an avid car enthusiast, a member of many car clubs, dozens of forums, and I just don't get when people waste their time with just posting search, and saying it has been discussed multiple times. You know how many times I have discussed mod paths with the SRT-4? ALOT.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:08 PM

2002 ML55 AMG
Originally Posted by NitrogenBalance
Good point Uber, never thought of it that way. I guess if your gonna make the effort to post "do a search" you may as well post something relivant to the subject.

I would hate to fish and read through all the HPS mud on here trying to make what of what.

If its a Gen1 HPS search member GreggC and you'll find that the HPSgen1 is too small for 5.5L. If its a Gen2 kit search member AMGSC and there is a good example of gen2 5.5L issues. In other words Gen1=too small and Gen2=broken things.
NitrogenBalance; I actually bidded on your blower but lost out. I talked with Greg C on benzworld about HPSgen1. He told me the kit was bolted on two other cars before his. And he added a smaller pulley & intercooler. He had to increase the boost because of back pressure from IC? So he felt the blower was to small. Can't blame HPS.

Gen2; I spoke with Jim/Mectech and the problem with AMGSC was over 2 years ago and problems fixed. So really nothing matters here. Reason i say this is I was going to buy a hps blower, but the economy hit me hard so I am looking for a used kit.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:13 PM

2002 ML55 AMG
Hi, Can anyone REPLY with comment / opinion please.

I am interested in buying a 2001 clk55 amg with a HPS supercharger (http://www.myhps.com/ )
The vehicle has 93,000 miles and well documented from new.

Is this a reliable - HPS supercharger system??

Thanks in advance
I would contact HPS/MecTech for an answer.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

well

First off I did give my opinion which was clearly that HPS is total crap. (thats the point of the run statement)

Second, when he asked for me to elaborate I felt it best for him to use the search function since I have never been a HPS customer nor will I be. There is so much negative information regarding HPS on this forum that I was not about to cut and paste and do a 5 page summary for the OP.

No it isn't easier for me to just say whats wrong with the various HPS kits for him. Not only do I NOT know which version it is but who knows what add on parts were used to try and make it work.

Clearly there are still people on this forum that will buy HPS(why I dont know) but at least by using SEARCH the OP can read both sides of the story(many stories at that).

Throwing a supercharger on a high compression motor is not an easy thing. The amount of tuning necessary etc is high. I would never use a tuner that had even 1 bad story about the supercharger. There are highly reputable tuners that make solid kits. Renntech (I use it), Kleemann, and Carlsson. I would consider only Renntech or Kleemann since Carlsson roughly charges double that of Kleemann.

So instead of "boo hoo why do you just tell him to use search?" why don't you do a detailed analysis for him instead.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:31 PM

2002 ML55 AMG
First off I did give my opinion which was clearly that HPS is total crap. (thats the point of the run statement)

Second, when he asked for me to elaborate I felt it best for him to use the search function since I have never been a HPS customer nor will I be. There is so much negative information regarding HPS on this forum that I was not about to cut and paste and do a 5 page summary for the OP.

No it isn't easier for me to just say whats wrong with the various HPS kits for him. Not only do I NOT know which version it is but who knows what add on parts were used to try and make it work.

Clearly there are still people on this forum that will buy HPS(why I dont know) but at least by using SEARCH the OP can read both sides of the story(many stories at that).

Throwing a supercharger on a high compression motor is not an easy thing. The amount of tuning necessary etc is high. I would never use a tuner that had even 1 bad story about the supercharger. There are highly reputable tuners that make solid kits. Renntech (I use it), Kleemann, and Carlsson. I would consider only Renntech or Kleemann since Carlsson roughly charges double that of Kleemann.

So instead of "boo hoo why do you just tell him to use search?" why don't you do a detailed analysis for him instead.
Why don't you just calm down. Instead of calling it a piece of crap and lets try to help Peter. This guy is buying a car off the internet with an HPS blower. Now, If the HPS supercharger has been on the car for years then it must not be a piece of crap? Because if it was then he would of removed the blower. This is common sense.

I hate to tell you all companies have problems not only HPS, but Kleemann, Carlsson, and Renntech.

Kleemann - https://mbworld.org/forums/w210-amg/...5-what-do.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/w210-amg/...emann-s-c.html

Good luck with your Renntech Kit

Last edited by BalboaIslanddud; 10-16-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BalboaIslanddud
calling it a piece of crap and lets try to help Peter.

Tha's exactly what it is though !! Don't buy the car until, dyno test to verify the power and air fuel ratio. Then do a compression and leak down test.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:38 PM

1990 300sl
Hi all,

Just wanted to say, that the whole process of this forum is been great. The early comments spurred me on to find out as much as i could about HPS.

I spoke to several guys that have had the Gen 1 system and of course they had good and some not so good comments, which lead me to call Adam at HPS. He was great, he spent as much time as i needed to get a clear picture. His most useful of suggestion was, "is it the original equipment and get it checked out by a reputable and knowledgeable supercharger shop".

Long story short, the CLK did not pas the first stage, and that was a simple inspection of the car at a MB shop. I did find a shop www.alteredatmosphere.com that was going to do a complete diagnosis of supercharger, but of the deal never materialized due to failing the MB shop inspection.

Thanks again

Last edited by peter7907; 10-16-2009 at 09:40 PM. Reason: mispelling

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2001 clk55 amg with a HPS supercharger