CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

All Season Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2009 | 01:30 PM

CLK55 '05 CLK320 '02
All Season Tires

Hi guys,
I live in central PA and snow season has started. I have been using Eagle F1 all season high performance tires for a good year and a half now. In that time period I went through about two and a half sets of tires and about 30,000 miles. I know that winter or snow tires are the best for winter time but I think that all seasons are a wise option for my budget and I can use them all year around and not have to change between tires.
I wanted to know what would you guys recommend for a set of all season tires that would keep my car moving in the snow, while still able to get all the grip I need when driving on the hot gravel in summer. And would also like some feed back of other brands that you guys have used before and what you think would be the best brand.

thanks guys
Old 12-07-2009 | 10:26 PM

I've used michelin PS/AS...they definitely were better in the snow (Boston) than PS2s but I felt that they handled like crap...I now keep the PS2s on all year and don't go out while it is actually snowing.
Old 12-09-2009 | 01:59 PM

CLK55 '05 CLK320 '02
Thanks for the advice. My problem is this is the only car I have so I cannot keep it parked on snow days because I need it to commute. I also could not afford two sets of tires that is why I am looking for a good set of all seasons.

thanks
Old 12-09-2009 | 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
The Good Yr Eagle GT has a good rating. Also the General UHP are good All season tires but the side walls are not that stiff. Have them on my C36.
Old 12-10-2009 | 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
I just put on Kuhmo ASX's on my car. Great tire, especially for the money. I had to move my car out of the garage and up hill on the driveway to get my blower out, and it went through 6 inches of snow no problem.
Old 12-10-2009 | 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ubergeist
I just put on Kuhmo ASX's on my car. Great tire, especially for the money. I had to move my car out of the garage and up hill on the driveway to get my blower out, and it went through 6 inches of snow no problem.
I currently have the Kuhmo ASX on my Clk55. Not really a good handling tire. Also they are now made in China. So I'm going with the Good Yr Eagle GT.
Old 12-10-2009 | 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Check out the Continental ContiExtremeContact DWS. I have them on my SL600 and E500 and love em so far. Good price, too.
Old 12-11-2009 | 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
Originally Posted by Jons95c36amg
I currently have the Kuhmo ASX on my Clk55. Not really a good handling tire. Also they are now made in China. So I'm going with the Good Yr Eagle GT.
I think it fits the car perfect. The CLK55 is not the best handler to begin with and I have no need to push it that hard. But i did notice a tad difference between the ASX's and PS2's.

So Korea to china?

I'm done with goodyear. I put their best high performance A/S on my MS3. I could not get any traction, to the point where it was undrivable. THe benz with the kuhmos does waaaaay better, but I have a Corolla now for the white stuff anyways.

I am a fan of the continental, those tires were on back order when I got my Kuhmos, and they gave me a deal I could not pass up on the Kuhmos. So I did it. No regrets.
Old 12-11-2009 | 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think it fits the car perfect. The CLK55 is not the best handler to begin with and I have no need to push it that hard. But i did notice a tad difference between the ASX's and PS2's.

So Korea to china?

I'm done with goodyear. I put their best high performance A/S on my MS3. I could not get any traction, to the point where it was undrivable. THe benz with the kuhmos does waaaaay better, but I have a Corolla now for the white stuff anyways.

I am a fan of the continental, those tires were on back order when I got my Kuhmos, and they gave me a deal I could not pass up on the Kuhmos. So I did it. No regrets.
Well my Kuhmos on my Clk55 are almost down to the wear bars. Put around 12k hard miles. Traction does get worse as the tire wears. But a good tire for its cheap price.
Old 12-12-2009 | 04:53 PM

CLK55 '05 CLK320 '02

So Korea to china?

I ran the goodyear tires and they were not as good as I wanted them to be.
I have been thinking of getting the continentals but none of my friends think its a good idea. And the option of buying two sets of tires for snow and summer is not a good option in my case so I need something that would be good all year round. Guess I might go with the conties.
Old 12-20-2009 | 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a Rivera...via a Custom 24, Strat and Les Paul
Go with the conti's have them currently for my winter set-up. While I can never give you any feed back about snow (it won't see snow). I can tell you that dry grip is great, wet grip is almost unbelievable, and from the reviews on tire rack - they do very well in the snow. Side walls are softer than a dedicated summer tire but you adjust in about 24hrs and it's nothing even close to bad. Over all a great tire that seriously had me debating if a dedicated summer set-up is worth it. That and they come with a 50,000 mile warranty. If you look in Benz-o-rama's sig - you'll see his sl ran a 11.55 1/4 with them on.
Old 12-31-2009 | 05:27 AM

CLK55 '05 CLK320 '02
Well I went home for the holiday so I am in no hurry to buy anything now but from the looks of it I am still not sure and still thinking between the michilans and the contis :P

Thanks for all the feedback guys