CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

How wide can I go? Spacers? Tire size? Do these look right for a CLK55?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 11:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W209 CLK55 / W166 ML63
How wide can I go? Spacers? Tire size? Do these look right for a CLK55?

I have a set of 19inch rims I plan on putting on my 05 CLK55. 8.5 fronts, 9.5 rears. Offset are 32mm in front, and 34mm in rear.

Unfortunately I realized after I bought the rims that they don't clear the front calipers due to it being bigger than most other CLKs! So looks like I'll need spacers or get another set of rims.

How wide do you think I can go on the spacers? I want to get everything ordered so I can get it all put on at the same time as soon as the tires get here.

Details-
Front:
8.5 width
32mm offset
235/35/19 tires
I know I'll need at least another 1.5-2mm just to clear the calipers.

Rear:
9.5 width
34 offset
265/30/19 tires
Should clear the calipers in the rear just fine, but I want to be flush as possible.

Also, anyone know if I can go with wider tires than the ones I already have?

Thanks!
J
Old 12-09-2009, 05:34 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
The correct response is not a simple one. To be honest that answer depends entirely on which tire manufacturer you go with. You cannot just go by sizes anymore. Ultimately the tread contact patch is what matters, not the size rating on the tire (and the only way to get this info is to actually measure the contact patch on the ground with the tires under full load, even tirerack does not provide this info, they only provide section width).

A 255 pilot sports fits like a 225 Dunlap Z1 (not joking, both have identical 8.5" contact patch if you can believe that). The 255 Dunlap Z1 has a 1" wider contact patch and fits like most 265/275s, You could probably run 285 Fuzion tires (if they even make that size) simply b/c they run so narrow. That does NOT mean that you will get better grip by any means, its just a number. Tread compound and tire contact patch width are the two most important factors, the tire rating with is really only for where the tire meets the wheel (more important for determining proper wheel width). So again, it all depends on the quality/brand of the tire. The best (and one of the widest) tires on the market is the Dunlap Z1 by far. A 255 Z1 will grip better than most 265/275+ cheaper tires and also be just as wide so keep this in mind when purchasing new tires or trying to run wider tires, simply going up in number means nothing. You could potentially REDUCE your traction by going to a wider less grippy tire. If you are doing it for looks ... fine, but if you are doing it for functionality you are better off going with the right tire. The problem is you are running 19s and its hard to find extreme performance tires for 19s, most stop manufacturing and only do 18" or smaller so that may be a problem.

You can run 5-10mm spacers just make sure you have the right lug nuts (that's the hardest part). You can also gain an 0.5-1.0" of clearance by doing a really aggressive fender roll with the proper tirerack fender roller which will allow you to run a lower offset and fit a wider wheel/tire combo.

Camber is also a factor, getting camber arms will also able you to fine tune just how wide you can go and also how much grip you will have per any given tire width (the closer to zero, the better your straight line traction will be and the less understeer you will have). If your camber is too negative, you will rub on the upper inside edge of the wheel well. If its too flat it will rub on outer fender lip. You can usually get down to about 0.5 degrees with Euro suspension and still have no rub if you roll fenders, this will yield the best straight line traction .

Hope that helps

Last edited by AMS Performance; 12-09-2009 at 05:46 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:50 AM

W209 CLK55 / W166 ML63
Thanks! That does help!
I'm going to try out the Hankcook Ventus V12 EVOs this time around. I hear great things about them both from online reviews and from people I know. My tire guy even suggested them. What are your thoughts on those? Do their sizing run small? Does my sizing sound correct for those specific tires and my width wheels? I'm assuming it's mostly trial and error to get the right size to fit on the car without rubbing, etc.?

I figure I would try them since they're relatively cheap so even if decide to get a new set of rims soon it isn't too big of a loss.

I was thinking about putting 5mm in front and 10mm in back. The fronts are *needed* to clear the caliper and the 10mm in the rear would just be for looks to push out the wheels to be flush.

I'm just hoping it won't rub on the fender with these sized spacers. Is there an easy way to check by putting the wheels/tire combo on the car first?

Thanks for your help so far!
J
Old 12-09-2009, 11:59 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
CLK 55 AMG 2005 and CLK 63 AMG cab.2007 - 2009 EVO - 2013 ML63 AMG - 2018 G63 AMG
WOW ! AMS

You know your stuff

keep up to good work and info on here
Old 12-09-2009, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK63 AMG Coupe
Yes, some sound advice there indeed.

Good work, old bean.

Interestingly, I have 19" rims, same widths and offsets as described in this scenario, except my rear offset is 35 (meaning that mine sit in 1mm further than the chap above).

I am also using 15mm spacers.

Thought I was pushing my luck abit, but all seems fine!

Been out for a blast a few times since putting the new wheels on (some hard cornering & accelerating) and all is good.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:34 PM

W209 CLK55 / W166 ML63

Quick question - what's the thinnest hub-centric spacer available? Are thin (5mm) spacers a concern as I think that's too thin to be made hub-centric.

I'm thinking 5mm in front and 10mm in back to make it look nice and flush and also to clear my calipers!
Old 12-09-2009, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Why not show off your rims ? lol

Andy
Old 12-10-2009, 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 CLS55 Renntech stage 5, 04 CL600 ( will miss ),02e55 , 11 R350
Originally Posted by black se7en

Quick question - what's the thinnest hub-centric spacer available? Are thin (5mm) spacers a concern as I think that's too thin to be made hub-centric.

I'm thinking 5mm in front and 10mm in back to make it look nice and flush and also to clear my calipers!
You have to be careful with the 5MM spacers, most in that size do not have a lip as the thicker ones ( the lip that goes into the bored hub of the wheel ) .
I am not sure what is the thinnest H&R spacers with a lip.. 8mm if memory serves but maybe 10... you can have them custom milled . I personally would feel better with that lip, it makes the spacers hub centric and wheel centric.

Last edited by maxwerks; 12-10-2009 at 08:23 AM. Reason: spl
Old 12-10-2009, 09:05 AM

Mercedes-Benz CLK63 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by maxwerks
You have to be careful with the 5MM spacers, most in that size do not have a lip as the thicker ones ( the lip that goes into the bored hub of the wheel ) .
I am not sure what is the thinnest H&R spacers with a lip.. 8mm if memory serves but maybe 10... you can have them custom milled . I personally would feel better with that lip, it makes the spacers hub centric and wheel centric.
Yeah, you're absolutey right.

I don't think you can get hubcentric spacers any smaller than 10mm.
I'm sure I asked the same question when I bought mine.

Only use hubcentric.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:02 PM

W209 CLK55 / W166 ML63
Thanks all for the answers!

Where would you recommend I go to ask about / buy H&R spacers?

I'll have to measure and see if 10mm is doable in front. If yes, Then I'll get a set ASAP!
Old 12-10-2009, 06:04 PM

W209 CLK55 / W166 ML63
Originally Posted by maxwerks
Yup, that's what I'm asking.
What's the smallest hub-centric spacers available. I only need ~3mm to clear the calipers up front. I might be able to do 8-10mm (if that's the smallest they have) but don't want to run into rubbing on the fenders either.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:21 PM

02 clk55 amg cabrio
I have an 02 clk55 cabrio and I went w/ h&r hub centrics 10mm in front & 15mm in da rear my wheels have 30mm offset in front & 35mm in da rear!
Old 04-08-2010, 09:31 PM

02 clk55 amg cabrio
I have an 02 clk55 cabrio and I went w/ h&r hub centrics 10mm in front & 15mm in da rear my wheels have 30mm offset in front & 35mm in da rear!