CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Clk320 steering box removal... Difficult?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clk320 r33 skyline GTR
Clk320 steering box removal... Difficult?

Hey all, help needed here. Knocking noise over little bumps. Checked all bushes, tie rods, ball joints and have no play. Just ordered steering damper as it was quite easy to compress (normal?) so after digging a little I noticed a lot of play from where the steering box is. As it happens when I do get the knocking noice I can feel it a little in the steering wheel. Is the box easy to replace and to remove? And do you recommend a steering box seal kit? Will that make it tighter? I'd be grateful for any help. Thanks again Joe
Oh, the car is 2000 clk320 elegance.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
I have no idea whether you’re asking about a W208 or a W209 (sig? profile? 320 in the AMG section - I could get suspended for simply responding). On the chance that it’s a 208, the steering gear bolts are supposed to be tightened every 4 years of 50,000 miles. I don’t know what happens when the bolts get loose, but a "clunk" sounds likely. Tightening the bolts takes about 10 minutes. Here is a link. There is a torque spec, and I always follow it, because if a bolt is sheared off . . . . . . . well . . . . . . . . . the good people here at MBWorld can be brutal. They would no doubt assail my personage until the next guy does something sillier and is put on the "entertainment committee".

In fact someone should start a thread - "when maintenance goes bad". It would be outtakes from threads that start off with things like "I took my E55 to Pep Boys because of a noise. They thought the blower pulley was the issue an proceeded to . . . . . . ."
Old 08-17-2010, 12:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
Originally Posted by MarcusF
In fact someone should start a thread - "when maintenance goes bad". It would be outtakes from threads that start off with things like "I took my E55 to Pep Boys because of a noise. They thought the blower pulley was the issue an proceeded to . . . . . . ."
..... Pry it off. My question is the new pulley didn't come with all the extra parts that came off with the old pulley. What are these long twisted thingies still attached?.....