CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Need help 5.5 research

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2010 | 01:20 PM

2001 CLK 55 AMG.......... 2001 Corvette Z06.........
Need help 5.5 research

I just bought a clk 55 amg and looked up mods for it. $4500 for a set of headers?! ****'s better be made of platinum or something so it appears I'm gonna have to go with a grass-roots style of modification to this engine and I may need sone of your experience.

From what I found out so far is the 5.5 is the same block as a 4.3 just bored and stroked.
I also found out these engines use the same exhaust manifolds or the same pattern anyway so one could buy a set of 4.3 shorty headers for a fair market price of $400. The guy at the Mercedes dealer helped me with this and I shoulda bet him money bc he woulda lost.lol.

Do the 5.5's have the same intake manifolds and cylinder heads as a 4.3. Not sure on the intake but I'm leaning toward yes since I seen somewhere there were throttlebodies offered for 4.3/5.5. Also leaning toward yes on the heads due to the same bolt pattern and exhaust port pattern.

I'm pretty sure the cams are different from a 4.3. Does anyone have the cam specs of these 2 engines? Or cam specs of aftermarket ones like brabus?

There is one roadblock I have come across. Does anyone offer ecu and or tcu reflashes reasonable? Cheapest I found so far on the ecu was $999.

Lastly supercharging...is it the c63 that has the blower? I'm assuming the 6.3 is a bored and stroked 5.5. Just depends on the heads and intake ports. I know renntech didn't build a roots blower from scratch. It had to be obtained from another model Benz.

I suppose when the time comes if I want to go s/c bad enough I would probably adapt a centrifugal s/c to it and pay for a dyno tuning session
Old 09-15-2010 | 03:38 PM

W208 CLK55 AMG, F30 335i M-Sport
i think that kleemann headers are only 1500...

i would call kleemann and get a quote for all the stuff you want from them they are the most reputable. there prices are a tad steep but you get every cent you pay for from them.

the best supercharger option is kleemann, its been tested by many people and its just an amazing piece for our cars.

the c63 is naturally aspirated v8 where as i believe below years 2007 they had the kompressed 5.5 liters on the e55 and some other models.

if your looking into modifying the w208/amg there are not to many options. if you really don't have a price limit here are some things you can do; from my knowledge.
Kleemann Supercharger
Kleemann Headers
Kleemann ECU
Kleemann LSD
if you go the s/c route then you can go with evo sport pulleys that should increase performance a lot. and you can also increase the boost of the s/c for more power
Eisenmann race exhaust.
i believe kleemann makes cams.
and renntech carbon fiber air box

i think that if you go fully with kleemann they will hook you up but never know till you try.

but if you get all of that your car would probably be one of the most beastly clk's around haha

also take into mind you should upgrade your brakes before you do power upgrades because you wanna be able to stop as good as you start

Last edited by xmatty89; 09-15-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-15-2010 | 04:48 PM

2001 CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by xmatty89
the c63 is naturally aspirated v8 where as i believe below years 2007 they had the kompressed 5.5 liters on the e55 and some other models.
If I'm not mistaken the 6.2 engine is a clean sheet design. Magnificent piece of work though.
Old 09-15-2010 | 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
There was a complete kleeman 5.5 blower for sale for $6K on this forum a couple days ago..... if you want to save a few bucks...
Old 09-15-2010 | 08:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
I know of a Kleemann blower for sale if someone is looking.

And the evosport accessory pullies wont add much power and they underdrive your accessories
Old 09-15-2010 | 08:28 PM

Betrezra, does PTE make 180 stats for the w208? Also same on the cams and ecu? If so, shoot me a link. Oh tomorrow I go to the dealer to confirm cylinder head and intake manifold interchange on the 4.3 to the 5.5. If so, I see ported pieces in my future :-)
Old 09-15-2010 | 08:30 PM

Also for all your benefit there is a rice style company that makes an underdrive kit including the crank pulley for around iirc.
Old 09-15-2010 | 08:31 PM

Stupid iPhone I meant around 299
Old 09-15-2010 | 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
"Betrezra, does PTE make 180 stats for the w208? Also same on the cams and ecu? If so, shoot me a link. Oh tomorrow I go to the dealer to confirm cylinder head and intake manifold interchange on the 4.3 to the 5.5. If so, I see ported pieces in my future :-)"

1. PM PTE about that. He's a member here.
2. I have a spare 4.3 / 5.5 intake manifold for $200 shipped (what I paid for it) ready to be ported/polished. LMK if you want it. You can use this as a core if you buy an already ported version, OR you can port this, and save your stock pc for if you sell your car.
3. PM PTE about the cams and Titanium retainers... for your car. I believe the fastest clk car on drag times is a W208 w/PTE cams.... that's what sold me on my PTE hardware. You can't argue with FASTEST
Old 09-15-2010 | 08:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by betrezra
I believe the fastest clk car on drag times is a W208 w/PTE cams.... that's what sold me on my PTE hardware. You can't argue with FASTEST
That would be me. But I'm not sure how much of that power would be attributed to the cams. I was quickest and fastest even without the cams. Adding the blower or some other form of FI is the main ingredient
Old 09-16-2010 | 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by dohcfiend
I just bought a clk 55 amg and looked up mods for it. $4500 for a set of headers?! ****'s better be made of platinum or something so it appears I'm gonna have to go with a grass-roots style of modification to this engine and I may need sone of your experience.

From what I found out so far is the 5.5 is the same block as a 4.3 just bored and stroked.
I also found out these engines use the same exhaust manifolds or the same pattern anyway so one could buy a set of 4.3 shorty headers for a fair market price of $400. The guy at the Mercedes dealer helped me with this and I shoulda bet him money bc he woulda lost.lol.

Do the 5.5's have the same intake manifolds and cylinder heads as a 4.3. Not sure on the intake but I'm leaning toward yes since I seen somewhere there were throttlebodies offered for 4.3/5.5. Also leaning toward yes on the heads due to the same bolt pattern and exhaust port pattern.

I'm pretty sure the cams are different from a 4.3. Does anyone have the cam specs of these 2 engines? Or cam specs of aftermarket ones like brabus?

There is one roadblock I have come across. Does anyone offer ecu and or tcu reflashes reasonable? Cheapest I found so far on the ecu was $999.

Lastly supercharging...is it the c63 that has the blower? I'm assuming the 6.3 is a bored and stroked 5.5. Just depends on the heads and intake ports. I know renntech didn't build a roots blower from scratch. It had to be obtained from another model Benz.

I suppose when the time comes if I want to go s/c bad enough I would probably adapt a centrifugal s/c to it and pay for a dyno tuning session
The 430 and 55 have different heads and cams. The 55, 500, and 55K all use the same valves. 430 valves are different. The 55/500/430 use same intake, the W208 55 & 430 use the same exhaust manifolds. The throttle body on the 2001/2002 430 and the 55 are both 74mm, but the 55 is different. Earlier 430s used ME 2.0 and the TB were 69mm.

The 63 design is an M156. You can read about that here. The 55/500/430 design is an M113. You can read about that here. I don’t know of anything that those two engines have in common.
Old 09-16-2010 | 01:22 AM

Hey, thanks alot for the info! On the cams between the 430 and 55. Are they physically different and in interchange or just different grind specs? It sounds like the heads themselves are the same minus the valves bc the intake and exhaust ports are the same. Only exception would be a difference in combustion chamber design that I can think of. Do the cams between the two engines use the same lifters? As with valves I'm pretty sure there is a difference in valvesprings I would assume. I will check out those links thanks a bunch.
Old 09-16-2010 | 01:33 AM

Betrezra, who did u get your LSD through? Also how much were your headers? Are they shorties or long tube? On the intake is it a 2 piece design like earlier aluminum designs on American engines? A plenum and a lower intake manifold or a 1 piece? If it is a 2 piece do you have both pieces? I know I'm pushing it but does it come with a throttlebody? How difficult is an intake swap for this engine.

Lastly, for all participating in the thread: in your opinions would the engine respond better to light porting and gasket matching on the intake or would the engine respond better if I tell my guy to remove some material from it?
Old 09-16-2010 | 01:34 AM

P.s. Extrude honing is out of the question btw. Too much $$$
Old 09-16-2010 | 03:57 AM

2001 CLK55 AMG
$330.00 w208 headers - if the clk430 are a direct fit...
There the same design as VRP headers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-H...#ht_2276wt_948
Old 09-16-2010 | 05:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Mods

Betrezra, who did u get your LSD through?
*****A MBworld sponsor had a special @ $999 recently. It's a quaife. I love it.... reminds me of driving a 60's muscle car with a performance diff.

Also how much were your headers?
*****AMS headers were on special here recently. I think AMS is getting out of the W113 game moving on to bigger/better platforms. I have the AMS shorties (non-equal length) that allow you to keep your primary cats and stay technically legal. If I were to do it all over again, I would have just got the kleeman mid-length headers with the down pipes that replace the primary cats and have the cel tuned out. That is the Direction I'm headed (more power), and I hate doing things twice. If you think you'll ultimately want ALLOUT performance just get the mid-length headers. In fact if true long tubes were avail I'd just get those. Not bagging on the AMS shorties they are a good quality part, and a good price, and techncally legal for those who need that.

Are they shorties or long tube?
***** shorties.... unequal length

On the intake is it a 2 piece design like earlier aluminum designs on American engines?
***** actually 3 pc design, one housing, top, bottom, and a inside contoured pc with channels........ I WAS going to do my home port/polish job on this intake, but a windfall came my way..... allowing for the kleemann blower. Keep in mind there is no documented (dyno/track time) improvement from the ported intake...... but I'm guessing there's a few HP in that part.

A plenum and a lower intake manifold or a 1 piece? If it is a 2 piece do you have both pieces?
***** complete intake manifold all parts top, internal, bottom.

I know I'm pushing it but does it come with a throttlebody?
*****Does not include TB.

How difficult is an intake swap for this engine.
****** pretty easy as it's right on top of the engine. I've not done it, but researched it. I hear it's a 1/2 day job for the backyard jobber, quicker for the real mechanic.

Lastly, for all participating in the thread: in your opinions would the engine respond better to light porting and gasket matching on the intake or would the engine respond better if I tell my guy to remove some material from it?
****** There's a real good detailed thread on here on porting/polishing the W113 intake.
Mod 1 - cut the vac operated baffles 1-2". (not sure the benefit from this)
Mod 2 - very slight porting and polishing of intake ports
Mod 3 - the major work....... very fine polishing of all the flat surface area of the top, internal, bottom air passages. It's actually a pretty straightforward polish job because all the passages are exposed when you take the 3 pc intake apart VS a conventional cast say mustang 5.0 long-runner style intake manifold which you had to cut in half (back in the day) to have access to port/polish and then have it welded back together.
Old 09-16-2010 | 10:02 AM

I'm interested in that intake. I'll pm you so we can make arrangements. I don't forsee s/c in the immediate future. how soon are you looking to upgrade your headers? Are the AMS stainless? If so what would you be looking to get for them; maybe we can do a combo deal?

400: yep those are the exact headers I have in mind
Old 09-16-2010 | 12:24 PM

W208 CLK55 AMG, F30 335i M-Sport
has anyone tested gains from AMS headers over stock amg for the w208/55? are the AMS headers smog check passable?
Old 09-16-2010 | 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
&&

I'm probably going to do kleeman headers/downpipes/new tune later this winter, and get a good comparo between the AMS shorties VS kleeman mid-length (no prim cats).

I like to build cars in stages and document inc gains of each step.

The AMS headers will be for sale when I do that stage of mods.

LMK when you want that intake.... I'll box it up and ship it out. PM for my paypal account.

Jeff
Old 09-17-2010 | 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by dohcfiend
Hey, thanks alot for the info! On the cams between the 430 and 55. Are they physically different and in interchange or just different grind specs? It sounds like the heads themselves are the same minus the valves bc the intake and exhaust ports are the same. Only exception would be a difference in combustion chamber design that I can think of. Do the cams between the two engines use the same lifters? As with valves I'm pretty sure there is a difference in valvesprings I would assume. I will check out those links thanks a bunch.
The cams are physically swappable, but I don’t know of anyone who has checked for interference. The rockers are different. I’d do diligence before starting the motor after a cam swap.

For the heads, spacing of the ports is the same, but the 55 is a different head. It’s shared with a 500. I’ve never measured the 55 ports, but I’d be shocked if the ports on a 55 are the same as a 430. A C43 exhaust port is different than a standard 430 exhaust port. The roof has been massaged. Doing side and floor work hasn’t proven to increase flow on a 430, but the roof does. Of course, this is highly machine shop dependant. The 55 is 27% larger. If I had to guess I'd lean toward much larger ports. This would also explain why exhaust work on a W208 55 is so much more beneficial than the same work on a 430 - the exhaust was designed with something smaller in mind. Someone should measure the ports on a W209 exhaust manifold.

Same lifters (don’t mix the intake and exhaust).

The 55 has AMG specific springs. The NA 55 has the 55K’s outer springs. The K has dual springs.
Old 09-17-2010 | 05:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
#

Man I wish Marcus was my neighbor!
I'd be knocking on your door with amg tech questions and a cold brew every weekend
Old 09-17-2010 | 11:27 AM

2001 CLK55 AMG
I'd be knocking on your door with amg tech questions and a cold brew every weekend
+1
Old 09-18-2010 | 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
Given a choice, you and coupecrazy want to live next door to BlackBenzz. I've got a feeling the stuff he sets out on trash day is better than what's on my car!
Old 09-20-2010 | 09:10 AM

2001 CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by MarcusF
Given a choice, you and coupecrazy want to live next door to BlackBenzz. I've got a feeling the stuff he sets out on trash day is better than what's on my car!
Sounds fine. I'd love to see his car run at MIR sometime. I've been up there occasionally, and run my car once. But I do wanna see the fastest CLK on the planet.
Old 09-20-2010 | 05:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by MarcusF
Haha you are too funny. I wanna be like Marcus

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need help 5.5 research