CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Buying in Cali question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E55
Buying in Cali question

I am in the market for a used w208 Clk55
I make a business trip once a month out to Cali.
I live in Colorado and used Clk55 are hard to find here.
I have looked at a few in Cali.

Every time I query the seller on the process of selling a used car to a non Cali resident I get mixed answers on what taxes if any I would pay, if it will need emissions and if I can even get a temp registration.
My business trips last a week so I would need a temp registration that would get me from Cali to Colorado with out getting a fined.
I couldn't find any answers on the Cali DMV sight.
Anyone know the facts?

Thanx!
Old 05-13-2011, 01:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
2002 CLK430
I sold a car to someone who flew into So Cal from New Mexico, paid me, and drove home. I didn’t collect any taxes and the state didn’t ask me for any later on. The buyer paid taxes in the state of New Mexico. I filled out a Cali DMV notice of title transfer, Cali DMV release of liability, Cali DMV bill of sale, signed the title and gave it to him. He got copies of my documents, and I got copies of his. I kept an extra copy of everything I gave Cali DMV, and recommend you do the same in Colorado.

I don’t know if Colorado requires a smog cert in your county/city, but if I were buying a car, it would have a smog certificate. It costs you (the buyer) nothing and is further proof that the car you bought is in the condition you expect. In the Peoples Republic of California, the seller is required to supply a valid smog certificate

As I wrote earlier, you will pay taxes in Colorado. Do not give anyone in California money to cover taxes.

A temporary registration isn’t necessary (although a signed and dated letter from the seller stating you bought the car from them may come in handy). Check the Colorado DMV site. Unlike Cali, they’ll give you plenty of time to register a car you bought from out of state. From the seller, you will get a bill of sale and a signed title. If I were you I’d get copies of the selling party’s driver’s license, the release of liability and the notice of title transfer. Naturally, everything should be signed. I would also pay the other party (private party, right?) at a bank. For example, if I bought a car in Colorado, I’d walk into a Wells Fargo, tell them who I am and my account number. Tell them that I’m buying a car from this guy and I want them to finance it. Then I'd pay it off in 14 days. My interest will be zip and Wells Fargo will make damned sure the title isn’t fake. The last thing you want is to go to register the car in Colorado, and then find out it’s been stolen.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:00 AM

2002 E55
Thanx MarcusF!

No emissions requirement in the county I live in.

Do the Cali plates stay with the car?
Old 05-13-2011, 07:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W209 2003 CLK55 Coupe
Dan,
From personall experience, I will state that the license plates usually stay with the car. If the seller has a vanity plate that he or she wishes to keep, then they have the option to keep them, but that would require the re-registration in the sellers state, or a temporary re-registration for transportation to another state.

Markus gave you some great information, and I would heed it.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:09 PM

2002 E55
Awesome!
Thanx for the replies.

Dan
Old 05-13-2011, 05:46 PM

2005 SL600 by SPEEDRIVEN
Seller must have the smog done within so many days of the sale and provide you a copy. Taxes are not collected by seller but most likely will be when you register your car in CO. You can purchase a temp registration I believe for so many days in order to get you car home.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:30 PM

2002 E55
Thanx for all the replies.