CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

2002 CLK55 Pop/Clunk from front end. Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 08:06 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
2005 c230
2002 CLK55 Pop/Clunk from front end. Help!

2002 CLK55 with 39k miles.

A few months ago I noticed a moderate "clunk" when turning right and up into my driveway. the sound would come and go. Recently had a free MB Tech Session at the local Benz dealership where they go over several points with you. Technician diagnosed a leaking drivers side motor mount and lower control arm bushings that had a very, very slight amount of play. He said those bushings didnt need replacement now, but maybe next year or 15k miles left on them. (roughly). He checked the ball joints and there was no up/down play in either wheel. He checked tie rod joints, etc. All seemed fine.

Using instructions on this forum, I successfully replaced the leaking drivers side motor mount. This did not fix the "clunking" from the front end. Neither did replacing the steering damper.

Last couple of days the temps have risen to high 80's. Went for a drive into the city (Georgetown section of DC) in a lot of traffic the other day, and the clunking/popiing was definitely more pronounced in the heat. Slow turning into a parking space? A pop or clunk would happen. Slowly taking off from a light while turning the wheel? Pop/Clunk. Slowly taking off from a light with the steering wheel straight? Pop/clunk. Earlier today..driving through the shopping center parking lot. Passenger side went up over a speed bump while the drivers side stayed flat on the pavement...pop/clunk.

Today I jacked the front end of the car up and turned the steering wheel from side to side. No noise at all. No play in steering wheel. Steering seems nice and tight. The steering box bolts are also torqued to spec.

Based on this info...what could it be?

I can also feel the clunk right under my feet as Im driving.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CLK 55 AMG
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...ml#post4698711
Old 07-01-2011, 05:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK55 Cabriolet (DEAD: 1989 300E, 1984 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible)
I'm not sure if I had the exact same problem you describe, but I had a definite problem with noise going over rough road somewhere on the front left side - I'd call it more of a "creak" than a "clunk", though. (And I didn't feel anything under my feet, either - was all in the front end.)

In my case they changed the motor mounts, etc. to no avail; finally I got a service advisor to go around the block with me and he recognized it right away.

They took off the entire front suspension and put it back on, being careful to re-torque everything down as they went. Clunk gone for good! Suspension feels tight and amazing now! (I told them I wish they could take the whole car apart and re-torque everything!)

Give it a try maybe?
Old 07-01-2011, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Has the steering gear service been done? It takes 5 minutes and is commonly overlooked.