C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

H&R lowering springs popping

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 09:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
H&R lowering springs popping

Ok so I lowered my car last night with the H & R springs I've had in the garage since winter and now I can hear a distinct popping from my drivers side. Has anyone had this issuer when lowering their cars and what fixed it? I went back twice and retightened everything and nothing is loose. Any advice would be great. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
You probably didn't install the front sway bar links properly. Either that, or they're worn. Worn or improperly installed links will result in a popping noise when going over speed bumps or hitting pot holes. I would check this first. Whenever I do suspension work that requires the removal of the strut, I always replace the sway bar links. They are inexpensive and easy to change. The H&R front springs are short, you'll be replacing those endlinks a lot!

Bry
Old 05-27-2011, 02:50 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Where is the best place to find them?
Old 05-27-2011, 04:50 PM

2005 CLK 55 AMG
Had a similar problem. Turned out to be the top of rear shock. remove shock remove and clean rubbers (2). Vaseline the rubbers and reinstall.

The noise was coming from the trunk like a banging metal on metal at every bump.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0 LS2 - Blue
Ok so I lowered my car last night with the H & R springs
All by yourself? Yeah that popping sound is strange. Hopefully not something that will require removing the spring. That was kind of a PIA, lol...
Old 05-27-2011, 06:27 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by gt4awd
All by yourself? Yeah that popping sound is strange. Hopefully not something that will require removing the spring. That was kind of a PIA, lol...
Lol...thanks for the help bro. Its definitely from the front and only clunks when out travels up and down not turning at all. Did we not tighten the struts enough maybe? Does anyone have H & R s installed that can send me a pic of what the bolt on top looks like so I can get an idea of if I didn't tighten them down enough out not please.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:30 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by MTLdude
Had a similar problem. Turned out to be the top of rear shock. remove shock remove and clean rubbers (2). Vaseline the rubbers and reinstall.

The noise was coming from the trunk like a banging metal on metal at every bump.
That sounds more like your shocks are blown or the shock mount is torn and/or improperly installed. I don't see how vaseline would fix a problem that would cause metal banging against each other. The shock mount bushing is rubber and contacts the shaft on the shock. The only 2 metal points contacting each other are the shock mount and the shock towers which don't move. They are secured to each other and shouldn't bang against each other. There's literally no moving parts that would cause metal to metal contact. Shock mounts or shock mount bushings DO NOT require lubrication. I sell ground control and Ireland Engineering urethane shock mount units and I've never run into this problem. BTW, Vaseline is petroleum based and should NOT be used on rubber. It will crack or degrade the rubber. Use proper lubricants where needed.

Anyways, definitely check your sway bar links. As someone who has tracked their car for more than 8 years, I can honestly tell you this sounds like a sway bar link problem. I have an entire box full of broken sway bar links from my previous cars. Anytime I heard a popping sound from my front suspension, it was always a sway bar link.

Last edited by Autotechnica; 05-27-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:03 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Would installing a spring upside down cause this?
Old 05-31-2011, 01:18 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Have you checked the sway bar links yet? If not, there's no point in speculating about the problem. Go out and phsysically check!

And no, you can't install a spring unsidedown. It's not possible. The spring will only fit properly on the pearch/pad one way. You would have to be really dumb to make this mistake as the spring wouldn't seat properly. All springs are installed with the logos/numbers right side up. If you're really concerned about this problem, again physically check. You don't even need to jack the car up.

BTW, do you have experience installing suspension parts? There seems to be a lot of uncertainties. Maybe you should have let a shop do the install. Some suspension components are sensitive to correct torque specs as well.

Bry
Old 05-31-2011, 07:20 PM

2005 E55 AMG
I called H & R and you can install these upside down as long as you do it on both sides. They seat in perfectly either way. I do have some experience installing suspension parts. I've checked my sway bar links but there isnt any play in them which is why I'm at a loss. If they're bad shouldn't there be play in them?
Old 06-01-2011, 08:03 AM

2005 CLK 55 AMG
I guess something is not sitting right. If the problem is new after the install, it's gotta be coming from what you did. A broken parts wouls have done the noise before.

My problem came right after I jacked the car up. I say take off the strut and revise the work.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:55 AM

2005 E55 AMG
I took it off and redid it all yesterday but its still doing the same thing. Everything is right and is sitting correctly.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:04 PM

2002 C32 AMG
The play would barely be detectable. You wouldn't be able to test the links when they're disconnected. Basically just try to move them around while they are attached to the struts. It's difficult to test for a worn endlink. A very small amount of play would cause the popping noise. Check to make sure the boot isn't ripped. The main reason endlinks fail is because the rubber boot rips and the ball joint inside the endlink becomes contaminated.

BTW, just because the endlinks were fine before you installed the suspension, doesn't mean they won't break right away. I've broken endlinks many times instantly after installing new springs/struts. If they're already worn, putting added stress from lowering the car can damage the endlinks.

If you're fairly confident that you've installed everything correctly, I'm still pretty sure endlinks are the culprit.

I've attempted to install my AMG springs unsidedown. They would not seat properly. I can't see H&R springs being different in design as they would have to be the same in order to fit properly. Like I said, most/all springs mount with the logo/part numbers right side up. Easy to check.

good luck,

Bryan
Old 06-01-2011, 04:02 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Where is a good place to buy endlinks at reasonable cost?
Old 04-18-2013, 11:50 PM

Mercedes AMG C63s
Having the same issue with my C63 but can't find any answers or even posts on it in the c63 section. Anyone that can help let me know please.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:22 PM

2005 C55
I had this problem before on a previous car anf it ended up being the top of the strut not tightened all the way, if they have any washers or shims make sure they are in the correct area. If its not that you might have worn out the strut.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:16 AM

Mercedes AMG C63s
Yes sir the top of the nut wasnt very tight on each end link. Tightened good and so far the issue has resolved. Thanks for the feed
Old 04-22-2013, 08:51 PM

C32, C55, 08 E63
I'm having this same kind of noise but I don't think it's the upper strut mount because the rear driver side where the noise is coming rom is sitting a good 3/4-1" lower than the passenger side.