CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Is it a mistake to call a dealer to find a CLK55 for me?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None
Is it a mistake to call a dealer to find a CLK55 for me?

I found a superior CLK500 condition with right price at the local Benz dealer, but it was sold out on the next day. The dealer asked me if he would like to find another one for me. I let him look for another CLK500, but I don't know if it's a bad idea. Does that mean he will compete me to find a CLK500?

I still haven't told him about CLK55, which is the one I really want.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:26 AM

CLK55 AMG
where do you live amg_benz?
Old 02-08-2012, 08:06 AM

W209 55
I had my dealer search for a CLK55. I ended up finding one in another province at a non-official mercedes dealer and had my dealer ship it over. My dealer ended up waiving the shipment fees which was over $1100.

So it's not a bad idea to have your dealer look for a CLK55. You can negotiate more.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
No one will search better than yourself.

I would recommend always scanning the forums, cars.com and autotrader. I found both my CLK55's via autotrader. Found my ML55 on here, was just lucky enough to be the first to look at it. lol.

Having the dealer search for you and they will have access to auction cars, which are not always the best, granted their are exceptions. Usually if the car is nice, the dealer will keep it.

Also, don't be afraid to travel for the car. These cars are rare, so if you find a nice example dont be afraid to go after it. My current CLK55 was in Oklahoma City and I live in Chicago.

I almost bought a CLK500, IMO, the price difference is small in comparison to what you get for the AMG. If you end up having to buy a CLK500, get a 2005. It has many updates and the 7 speed tranny.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:01 PM

W209 55
Did the 2005 CLK55 come with the 7speed? No, right?
Old 02-08-2012, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Originally Posted by discoduck
Did the 2005 CLK55 come with the 7speed? No, right?
Nope, just the 05+ 500's and 550's
Old 02-08-2012, 02:39 PM

None
Originally Posted by Nachtsturm
No one will search better than yourself.

I would recommend always scanning the forums, cars.com and autotrader. I found both my CLK55's via autotrader. Found my ML55 on here, was just lucky enough to be the first to look at it. lol.

Having the dealer search for you and they will have access to auction cars, which are not always the best, granted their are exceptions. Usually if the car is nice, the dealer will keep it.

Also, don't be afraid to travel for the car. These cars are rare, so if you find a nice example dont be afraid to go after it. My current CLK55 was in Oklahoma City and I live in Chicago.

I almost bought a CLK500, IMO, the price difference is small in comparison to what you get for the AMG. If you end up having to buy a CLK500, get a 2005. It has many updates and the 7 speed tranny.
Can you tell me the list of other forums? I only know two MB forums: this forum and the Benzworld.org. The Benzworld.org forum is very slow in the trade/sell subforum. I think MBworld.org still has more cars for sale in this forum. I don't know about other reliable MB forum. You can PM me about this if you want to.

I've already scanned almost every used cars website. Why don't you tell me your whole experience in buying cars out of state? Did you send a guy to inspect? Did you fly over to take a look? It may be off topic, but we can discuss in PM if you want.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Just because a CPO car from the dealer doesn't mean it is any better than a joe-blow lot.... I bought my clk cpo from MB of sugarland... and was clearly NOT inspected and had obvious issues which I had to go back with several trips to get fixed under warranty... these were obvious suspension and broken items which would clearly be fixed under CPO program before selling..... but I suspect they (like many business's today) wait until the customer discovers the issues before taking action which costs them money. So no matter what get a reputable 3rd party inspection... just because it comes from mb dealer doesn't mean much (to me after my experience).

GL.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:45 PM

None
Originally Posted by betrezra
Just because a CPO car from the dealer doesn't mean it is any better than a joe-blow lot.... I bought my clk cpo from MB of sugarland... and was clearly NOT inspected and had obvious issues which I had to go back with several trips to get fixed under warranty... these were obvious suspension and broken items which would clearly be fixed under CPO program before selling..... but I suspect they (like many business's today) wait until the customer discovers the issues before taking action which costs them money. So no matter what get a reputable 3rd party inspection... just because it comes from mb dealer doesn't mean much (to me after my experience).

GL.
I have a similar experience when I was looking at the 2005 CLK500. The dealer gave me a very short list of inspection, which was the reason why I backed off for a day. I went to the dealer on the next day with the better list of inspection, that car was already sold out. Probably, they found out the car isn't good and sent to the auction ASAP.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:15 AM

2003 CLK55AMG
You can buy my clk55.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
Originally Posted by betrezra

GL.
I still would never buy a car from a "joe-blow" lot. Everytime I checked out a car at even one of the so called better secondaries lots, the car has a story.

While buying at a MB dealership certainly isnt a cure all, chances are less likely to be a rat.

One thing you want to find out if it is an auction car or not. I prefer buying local trades. My first CLK55 was a local trade at a Land Rover Dealer. Had some quirks, broken disc changer, fog light was out, and such. But that is small potatoes.

If you have cash or financing and are knowledgeable, I highly recommend private party. For me that means, tax benefits, lower price, and not dealing with salesmen.