CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Time to finally Begin

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML63 AMG Designo.
Lightbulb Time to finally Begin

Alright guys, need your expertise.

I have a 2004 clk having only blacked it out, added 19" rims with ventus V12's on them i'm getting that urge.

It is cheaper to upgrade than it is to purchase a new car, so why not make it feel newer?

1. I have been looking at suspension parts. I know there's the love for the H&R with bilstein set up. Best i can find for that is about $1200. So i thought about a decent coil over set and the KW V1 kit fits my needs fairly well. Found it for $1400. Your thoughts?

2. Want to do headers and cats, just can't spend crazy money. The secondary cats are what I'm hoping for help on more than anything else. So many choices. I definitely don't want crazy loud. Is there a consensus?

3. The crank pulley from ams who has now changed hands to GTP, has a couple left. Is this a mod worth attempting or just leave it be?

4. Time for rotors, maybe even some newer calipers.

Your ideas are what i need. Truly appreciate whatever you guys can throw my way.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
From my experience, i was gonna sell my E55 but decided to upgrade it instead of selling it because could not found anything to replace E55 at my budget. There is no better car with budget. Sure, new AMG is better but cost 3 times more so i decided to upgrade few parts. Kleemann Header, ECU, IC pump... Good luck !
Old 03-08-2012, 03:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Originally Posted by Jezter
Alright guys, need your expertise.

I have a 2004 clk having only blacked it out, added 19" rims with ventus V12's on them i'm getting that urge.

It is cheaper to upgrade than it is to purchase a new car, so why not make it feel newer?

1. I have been looking at suspension parts. I know there's the love for the H&R with bilstein set up. Best i can find for that is about $1200. So i thought about a decent coil over set and the KW V1 kit fits my needs fairly well. Found it for $1400. Your thoughts?

2. Want to do headers and cats, just can't spend crazy money. The secondary cats are what I'm hoping for help on more than anything else. So many choices. I definitely don't want crazy loud. Is there a consensus?

3. The crank pulley from ams who has now changed hands to GTP, has a couple left. Is this a mod worth attempting or just leave it be?

4. Time for rotors, maybe even some newer calipers.

Your ideas are what i need. Truly appreciate whatever you guys can throw my way.
I have H&R but the KW V1 is a great kit is you want a basic coil-over system. As for the secondary cats, if you don't need them (for Cali smog), get rid of them. It's a waste of oney going with high flow secondaries unless you have to have them on there. With the OEM muffler and primary cats still in place, it will sond really good and not too loud (no drone either). As for the pulley - it wont add anything on the top end (as long as your car is situated where the normal physics of the universe exist) but it does slightly improve low and mid range response. There are a lot of guys who doubt the harmonic balancing qualities of it are safe though. Brakes? a simple swao to something like R1 and some good pads will make a big difference. And headers - you can find the shorty AMS ones on eBay and in the classifieds once and a while for dirt cheap, you know why? Because thats all they are worth. When it comes to headers you reall get what you pay for.

Thats my $0.02 from making a lot of changes and wasting a lot of money along my CLK build.

Good luck.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
Since you are on a budget, get the Kleemann headers. I believe they were on sale for 999? Install that with a tune, and it will transform the car. Also add some AFE dry-flows. Noticed a diff in TB response.

If you are doing the brakes, I cannot recommend Disc Italia hyper-ceramic pads enough. They are amazing, and no dust.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:21 PM

2003 CLK55AMG
What about doing a tune, CAI, and headers. Those three are for just performance mods. I want to add a LSD to my car. You should take a look at adding this to your parts list. I think they cost about $500.

I have a builsten coil over kit on my CLK. I really do enjoy them, the car handles great.

Post up a pic of your car?

Last edited by BRIZZOK84; 03-08-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Originally Posted by BRIZZOK84
What about doing a tune, CAI, and headers. Those three are for just performance mods. I want to add a LSD to my car. You should take a look at adding this to your parts list. I think they cost about $500.

I have a builsten coil over kit on my CLK. I really do enjoy them, the car handles great.

Post up a pic of your car?
Our cars come with 'CAI' off the factory floor, you just need to add some aftermarket high flow filters.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Kevwood
Our cars come with 'CAI' off the factory floor, you just need to add some aftermarket high flow filters.
And a renntech CF airbox for us N/A folk.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Nachtsturm
And a renntech CF airbox for us N/A folk.
Fo sho
Old 03-10-2012, 03:47 PM

2003 CLK55AMG
I was thinking about renntech CF airbox for us N/A. It would be very costly but you could buy a set of ported heads and then add cams. I would assume a 60 rwph gain.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BRIZZOK84
I was thinking about renntech CF airbox for us N/A. It would be very costly but you could buy a set of ported heads and then add cams. I would assume a 60 rwph gain.
Here is one for sale;

https://mbworld.org/forums/slk55-r17...ml#post5095729
Old 03-11-2012, 02:50 PM

2013 ML63 AMG Designo.
thanks for the replies everyone.

so, got in touch with an old friend of mine that i grew up with who's father used to work for bilstein. a buddy of mine reminded me of this, so gave him a shout. his answer surprised me a little. he informed me that bilstein is a bit dated and that koni makes a better overall product. decided to look into it and they are 20% off right now. so, i will give them a shot and see what happens.

Kev, i live in Miami and don't have to worry about exhaust inspections. i just hate the idea of having a loud car. one of the things i love about our cars is that they are unassuming. but i will bow to your better knowledge and see what it sounds like. probably a cheaper alternative as well.

i am having a hard time seeing someone paying a grand for headers. i will continue to shop around but kleeman and $1000? no justification for that IMO.

i forgot that i did K&N filters when i first bought the car 4 years ago.

i am still trying to decide on that AMS pulley. it is under $400 right now and still can't seem to get enough of a positive or negative response about it.

a couple of you have mentioned a tune. how much do they typically run and are there various styles?

time to upgrade my radio again, Kenwood 9980 here i come
Old 03-11-2012, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...time to upgrade my radio again, Kenwood 9980 here i come
I have the exact same HU and full eXcelon speaker/sub/amp system being installed right now. Phenomenal HU, can't go wrong with it.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:55 PM

2013 ML63 AMG Designo.
i have been an excelon guy for a decade. i have the 812 in there now. the GPS is just really outdated for mine.

you know the new model comes out next month. it will be android compatible.

i am not a fan of kenwood speakerrs though.

i am an infinity guy. have the "perfects" in my car and the clarity is outstanding. i am using a 5 channel polk amp to push it all.

enjoy your new sounds, kevv.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i have been an excelon guy for a decade. i have the 812 in there now. the GPS is just really outdated for mine.

you know the new model comes out next month. it will be android compatible.

i am not a fan of kenwood speakerrs though.

i am an infinity guy. have the "perfects" in my car and the clarity is outstanding. i am using a 5 channel polk amp to push it all.

enjoy your new sounds, kevv.
You too Jez
Old 03-12-2012, 11:14 AM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
Time to finally Begin

With all The add on's (Pulleys Crank & undrive , Air Box's Filters) and ECU tunes. NOT much will be seen on a Dyno or 1/4 mile runs. Maybe on a good day 20 RWHP at the most. BUT , Remove the very restrictive OEM exhaust Manifolds & install headers , BAM!! 26 RWHP & 30 ftlbs torque plus.
If you Follow some of my old Threads you will see what works. Keep your Secondary Cats & Stock Exhaust pipes & Muffler. When You have a tune done from EC ( There box Tune is pretty damn Good ) they can Code out the 2nd oxygen sensor Err Code. Have fun Lots of good opinions, see what Fits you & your Budget
Cheers _PTEngineering
Old 03-12-2012, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PTE
With all The add on's (Pulleys Crank & undrive , Air Box's Filters) and ECU tunes. NOT much will be seen on a Dyno or 1/4 mile runs. Maybe on a good day 20 RWHP at the most. BUT , Remove the very restrictive OEM exhaust Manifolds & install headers , BAM!! 26 RWHP & 30 ftlbs torque plus.
If you Follow some of my old Threads you will see what works. Keep your Secondary Cats & Stock Exhaust pipes & Muffler. When You have a tune done from EC ( There box Tune is pretty damn Good ) they can Code out the 2nd oxygen sensor Err Code. Have fun Lots of good opinions, see what Fits you & your Budget
Cheers _PTEngineering
Did you ever experiment with an X pipe and high flow cats? I am contemplating on doing this if the gains are there. Thanks.

To the OP, headers are worth 1k. Take the 400 for the pulley and put it towards the headers. Tune can be had for maybe 500. So for 1500, you will transform the car. If you can stretch the budget, get the MBH long tubes as they make a bit more power than the Kleemanns.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:11 PM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
Time to finally Begin

Jezter's Car Has a 3" / 75MM single Exhaust. Adding Headers with Down Pipes , Make it Necessary to remove the Primers Cats & much of the exhaust pipe. The area before the Secondary Cats is pretty slim for a X pipe. It is so far down the system I believe it will have very little effect on adding HP.

Own my own car I did a expensive True Dual Exhaust system , With a X pipe Muffler Near the opened up area before the Diff. I'm now in the process of installing a New X pipe Back as close to the Transmission As Possible ? Jezter has a limit set for what he wants & How much he is willing to spend.
Cheers _PTEngineering

Last edited by PTE; 03-12-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PTE
Jezter's Car Has a 3" / 75MM single Exhaust. Headers with Down Pipes , Make it Necessary to remove the Primers Cats & much of the exhaust pipe. The area before the Secondary Cats is pretty slim for a X pipe. It is so far down the system I believe it will have very little effect on adding HP.

Own my own car I did a expensive True Dual Exhaust system , With a X pipe Muffler Near the opened up area before the Diff. I'm now in the process of installing a New X pipe Back as close to the Transmission As Possible ? Jezter has a limit set for what he wants & How much he is willing to spend.
Cheers _PTEngineering
So in your opinion a x-pipe is not possible? Should i just go with Kleemann highflows then and forgo the x-pipe?
Old 03-17-2012, 06:51 PM

2013 ML63 AMG Designo.
got the Kleeman springs, thanks very much Patrick.

Koni shocks have been ordered and shall be here soon

now, with all the information provided above, i think i am just gonna give up doing anything else.

if anyone knows of any good websites that have great prices let me know.

again, appreciate all the help guys.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

got the Kleeman springs, thanks very much Patrick.

Koni shocks have been ordered and shall be here soon

now, with all the information provided above, i think i am just gonna give up doing anything else.

if anyone knows of any good websites that have great prices let me know.

again, appreciate all the help guys.

Which Koni's did you get, yellows or orange?
Old 03-18-2012, 11:58 AM

2013 ML63 AMG Designo.
i went yellow.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nice choice, Same here.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'04 E55 AMG
Jezter, I couldn't agree more with PTE about the headers. I just installed the Kleemann headers (I had them ceramic coated first) on my 04 CLK55 Cab. & will soon have my Jerry (EC) tune after I do some data logging. The difference with just the headers is truly amazing, both the power & the sound. It's hard to keep my foot out off the throttle (given today's gas prices + the cost of those 19" Yokohama's), it's a lot of fun (just wish there were a way to completely disable the EPS). Cory at Kleemann is very helpful, too.
My next project is suspension & possibly brakes (wish I could afford a S/C right now). Keep us informed on your progress & how well the new suspension works.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
Originally Posted by rawdvm
Jezter, I couldn't agree more with PTE about the headers. I just installed the Kleemann headers (I had them ceramic coated first) on my 04 CLK55 Cab. & will soon have my Jerry (EC) tune after I do some data logging. The difference with just the headers is truly amazing, both the power & the sound. It's hard to keep my foot out off the throttle (given today's gas prices + the cost of those 19" Yokohama's), it's a lot of fun (just wish there were a way to completely disable the EPS). Cory at Kleemann is very helpful, too.
My next project is suspension & possibly brakes (wish I could afford a S/C right now). Keep us informed on your progress & how well the new suspension works.
+1 Kleemann header. Sounds good but not too loud and really good power with a tune.