CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

A few questions about W208

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a car
A few questions about W208

I'm looking into getting a W208 CLK55 and I have a few questions.

1. Handling - how well does it handle? I know it's no M3...but is still a boat in the handling department or can it hold it's own? For example going up against a stock G37 or 335i would it be able to hold it's own or is the handling department closer to driving a Towncar? Deep down, is it a sports coupe, or a cruiser? And to take on an M3 in the handling department...is a set of coilovers enough or is it pretty much hopeless?

2. Reliability - are there any gremlins? or huge issues to worry about? I know each car is different...hell, my last one was an Audi that was supposed to cost $3K/yr in maintenance/repairs...and I never had any major issues with it. Is the CLK55 similar here? Also I know this thing has a timing chain...but do you still major maintenance for it? i.e. with the S4 the timing guides are recommended to get replaced at 105K miles and it's like a $5K job. Anything like that for the CLK55?

3. Chip Tuning - I looked into a bunch of different chips...and they seem to bump up the power by about 20hp...seemed like a lot of people went with Inmotion and SpeedTuning...but there were very few follow up threads. Which is better?

4. Brakes - I read that the brakes on this thing are somewhat expensive. Something like $1K to swap out the rotors. Is it because these rotors are anything special? Also do they get warped quickly or something? Or can I expect a good 40-50K miles between needing to swap them out?

5. Special options - are there any special rare options to look out for?

6. LSD - I know this doesn't come with an LSD...but are there any aftermarket options for that?
Old 08-28-2012, 09:36 PM

Blown 208 55 amg, 211 55 amg
Drive one it will walk a g37 and 335i
look in w208 section non amg i just posted about brakes
s4 is a POS Ive got one with engine out right now there expensve and a pita not to mention slow
Old 10-07-2012, 04:22 PM

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupé
Originally Posted by eikol

1. Handling - how well does it handle? I know it's no M3...but is still a boat in the handling department or can it hold it's own? For example going up against a stock G37 or 335i would it be able to hold it's own or is the handling department closer to driving a Towncar? Deep down, is it a sports coupe, or a cruiser? And to take on an M3 in the handling department...is a set of coilovers enough or is it pretty much hopeless?

It handles well at 8/10 but in stock form becomes too wallowy towards the limit. But it is fast. The steering is old-fashioned numbness but it does go where it is pointed. The relatively small size/weight of the 208 makes up for some of its old-fashioned handling. This ain'nt no Towncar. In fact the car is a lot of fun to drive, thanks to that torque. It can be tracked in stock form - I did so at Nurburgring. But after I put on KW coilovers it tracked much better.

2. Reliability - are there any gremlins? or huge issues to worry about? I know each car is different...hell, my last one was an Audi that was supposed to cost $3K/yr in maintenance/repairs...and I never had any major issues with it. Is the CLK55 similar here? Also I know this thing has a timing chain...but do you still major maintenance for it? i.e. with the S4 the timing guides are recommended to get replaced at 105K miles and it's like a $5K job. Anything like that for the CLK55?

The motor and drivetrain are very solid. Gremlins show up in the pixels on the dashboard, the power seats, and if any liquid spills into the gearshift area.

3. Chip Tuning - I looked into a bunch of different chips...and they seem to bump up the power by about 20hp...seemed like a lot of people went with Inmotion and SpeedTuning...but there were very few follow up threads. Which is better?

I don't know if one chip is really better than another. I went with Kleemann and was pleased with the result.

4. Brakes - I read that the brakes on this thing are somewhat expensive. Something like $1K to swap out the rotors. Is it because these rotors are anything special? Also do they get warped quickly or something? Or can I expect a good 40-50K miles between needing to swap them out?

The brakes are beefed-up AMG parts special to the car which makes them expensive. They work very well and wear well.

The truly rare options are designo trim items and equipment not available in the USA like a TV tuner, a fire extinguisher under the driver's seat and power retractable side mirrors. Steve at MBenzNL can install just about any option your heart desires.

6. LSD - I know this doesn't come with an LSD...but are there any aftermarket options for that?

Yes, Kleemann sells one (at least they used to) but I went with the Quaife product. It's a good investment.

Good luck and enjoy!

Last edited by neilbo75; 10-07-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Brakes are nothing special- just expensive parts. We've had ours new since 2001 and we're due for new front rotors this year at 50,000 miles- our first rotor change.

I drove the E92 335i as well and while that car is fast and flat around corners, the CLK just feels much sportier and the torque really pushes you into the back of your seat.

Expect a few gremlins in the first few years of ownership when new but we've had everything sorted out and right now we only have the dreaded clock LCD issue which is a relatively easy fix (few hundred bucks to reseat the ribbon cable). As far as mechanics, ours is really solid.

Rare options I think are two tone seats. On my 2001 there's only leather on the seats, door panel airbags, and rear armrest. I saw a 2002 cabriolet the other day and it had leather on the dash and door panels. It's possible that's an option or only available on 2002 models. I know in 2001 the brochure says extended leather is an option, but in reality you could not order the car with that option.

Otherwise nothing really optional on the car, most everything's standard for the US market back then. We do not, however, have the option for parktronic or power folding mirrors in the US while the rest of the world does.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:18 PM

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupé
Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
Rare options I think are two tone seats. On my 2001 there's only leather on the seats, door panel airbags, and rear armrest. I saw a 2002 cabriolet the other day and it had leather on the dash and door panels. It's possible that's an option or only available on 2002 models. I know in 2001 the brochure says extended leather is an option, but in reality you could not order the car with that option.

Otherwise nothing really optional on the car, most everything's standard for the US market back then. We do not, however, have the option for parktronic or power folding mirrors in the US while the rest of the world does.
No parktronic in the US? Ouch when backing up! But you are right the US in general was spoiled with many ROW options coming standard.

Yes, I believe you are also right that in the US only cabriolets could come with the extended leather on the dash (and the tops of the doors). Black is the only color I have seen this done in. In the ROW extended leather is rare in any model. I'm lucky to have it in my coupe which was built for the German market.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You have a Euro spec Coupe in the US?! How did that happen? So I guess you have Parktronic too?

I mean the car's short so it can easily fit into many spaces. Just nice to know exactly how much room I have back there for those tighter spots.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Euro Cars Only
Originally Posted by Redw20855amg
Drive one it will walk a g37 and 335i
look in w208 section non amg i just posted about brakes
s4 is a POS Ive got one with engine out right now there expensve and a pita not to mention slow
I wouldnt go that far and saw the S4 is a POS. I love Audi's... There's always been one in our driveway (A2, A3 & S6).
I hear so many U.S. audi owners complain about maintenance and repair cost but you never hear that here in Europe.

Anyway I own a 209 but a close friend owns a 208 55 and tbh the build quality did not feel solid. I wouldn't track it! He bought it used so who knows if he landed on a good one but I was really surprised and damn happy when I got back into my 209, a whole different story.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Current: AMG GT-C. Sold: 01 CLK55, 00 ML55, 01 ML55, 06 E55
The brakes are really nice. They are somewhat special, in a sense that the rotors are directionally vented, not your standard radial vents. They cost about $200-300 per rotor if you buy them online. I'm at 95k and bought the car at 42k and haven't needed to change the pads or rotors yet. Even took it to the track a couple times.

Very reliable, especially compared to what you hear on "german cars." Motor is bullet proof. Things you'll have to fix are: dash LEDs, mass air flow sensor, catalytic converters (go aftermarket anyway), and a few sensors are known to die once in a while.

My brother has a GTO and this can rock it's world. Very well designed, and perfect torque curve for a stock vehicle.

Designo interiors and 2-tone leather are super cool. Get a double din in dash, very nice conversion.

Quaife makes a good LSD option. I actually bought one and never installed it, sold it due to time constraints.

There are NOT a ton of performance mods for these cars. Exhaust, home-made intake options, and tuning is about it. Thermostat option available, weight reduction available. Suspension upgrades are readily available, no need to update the brakes unless you are a serious track-star or want the BBK look.

Get one!!! i LOVE mine
Old 10-08-2012, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by elijah
I wouldnt go that far and saw the S4 is a POS. I love Audi's... There's always been one in our driveway (A2, A3 & S6).
I hear so many U.S. audi owners complain about maintenance and repair cost but you never hear that here in Europe.

Anyway I own a 209 but a close friend owns a 208 55 and tbh the build quality did not feel solid. I wouldn't track it! He bought it used so who knows if he landed on a good one but I was really surprised and damn happy when I got back into my 209, a whole different story.
This is actually the first post I've ever heard anyone formally complain about the "build quality" of a w208. They're certainly track worthy. He must have had a beat up or worn out one.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:29 PM

CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by da_guitarist
This is actually the first post I've ever heard anyone formally complain about the "build quality" of a w208. They're certainly track worthy. He must have had a beat up or worn out one.
I drove one too before buying my w209 55 and I didn't like the quality either.... through the hills it did feel a bit floaty... saying that, my 03 will be getting a suspension upgrade soon too due to the same problem, even though it is not as bad as the 208.

Also didnt buy it because it feels really old on the inside... the outside ages quite well but the inside is another story...
Old 10-10-2012, 01:19 AM

2010 E550, 02 CLK55 Cabrio - sold
Originally Posted by neilbo75
Yes, I believe you are also right that in the US only cabriolets could come with the extended leather on the dash (and the tops of the doors). Black is the only color I have seen this done in. In the ROW extended leather is rare in any model. I'm lucky to have it in my coupe which was built for the German market.
I have the designo package on my dark blue metallic cabrio (officially called black opal), the leather on the seats and dash is also dark blue. The trannies are tough but a little dumb compared to modern versions. Build quality is excellent and the w208's don't have those ridiculous tail lights like the 209's

Last edited by UncleSlam; 10-10-2012 at 01:27 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by UncleSlam
I have the designo package on my dark blue metallic cabrio (officially called black opal), the leather on the seats and dash is also dark blue. The trannies are tough but a little dumb compared to modern versions. Build quality is excellent and the w208's don't have those ridiculous tail lights like the 209's
That interior sounds amazing. Please show me pics! BTW Black Opal is a lovely color- have it on the S500.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Alternatively, there is the OPALW208 custom diamond weave
Old 10-10-2012, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Jealous. Mine is only black on black with black stitching = boring.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

same here. I usually forget about the looks when i'm driving though

Definitely get a nice stiff suspension setup and an exhaust. All you need!!!
Old 10-11-2012, 11:30 PM

2001 CLK55,2003 CL55AMG
Originally Posted by da_guitarist
agreed.. my 2001 W208 is very solid...66k miles and I run it HARD + would feel fine bout tracking it.. as soon as I take out the amps and W7's out of the trunk..
Old 10-13-2012, 07:43 PM

BMW 528i
Originally Posted by eikol

RE: 1. I had a 1990 Audi CQ with H&R/Bilsteins - insane handling + AWD. The CLK55 in comparison in stock form has more bounce on rough roads - accelerating quickly over bumpy roads over 70 mph is definitely not as settled, but can be fixed with suspsening (spring and/or shock upgrade). Primarily, I'd say better damping of rebound will help. I've never had any aggressive cornering issues at legal speeds, but I also don't push it anywhere near like I did the CQ, 'cause I really like it and don't wanna mess it up!

RE: 2. I bought my 2001 in Oct '11 with 66k. Brakes had just been done, I had to do the valve cover seals, that's all. It's been flawless and so fun I put 10k miles on it in a blink, no relegated to weekend duty to reduce mileage creep! Common issues are $15 sensors or dash cluster text which is a cable fix.

RE: 3. I drove stock for a couple months and then bought a Kleeman, which also re-programs the drive-by-wire to function more like a normal cable throttle. Definitely an improvement from my perspective, and helps better manage trans shift points (which they also update). Rumor is 20hp, a random ODB scan test showed 300-313 rwhp, which is in line with the reported 350-365hp reports. No issues otherwise. BTW, Kleeman has great service.

RE: 4. Once you drive one, you'll have respect for why the brakes costs so much, but given the typical interval, it's worth every penny. In a car this fast, you NEED flawless braking capability. There are a variety of sources for rotors which can save a couple bucks. Like tires and gas, consider some of this the price of admission to the AMG high-torque club.

RE: 5. Everyone seems to have covered the elusive stuff.

RE: 6. As above, Qaife makes a unit for our cars.

Test drive one, I'm pretty sure you'll find it's a unique experience! ;^)
Old 10-13-2012, 09:25 PM

CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by UncleSlam
the w208's don't have those ridiculous tail lights like the 209's
Lol u gotta be blind
Old 10-14-2012, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by NardoNZ
Lol u gotta be blind
Well stupid comments like that are just subjective (referencing your quote, not your comment). Just like the comment I just made is subjective. haha
Old 10-14-2012, 09:08 PM

Blown 208 55 amg, 211 55 amg
Originally Posted by elijah

I love audi too its tatooed on me but when i say mechanically there **** It's 100% the truth and they are by far the worst car (next to porsche) to have to work on!
Old 10-14-2012, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by Redw20855amg
I love audi too its tatooed on me but when i say mechanically there **** It's 100% the truth and they are by far the worst car (next to porsche) to have to work on!

Porsche's aren't bad. At least the air cooled ones. Drop the motor and you can access everything. With ramps and a floor jack I used to drop mine in under 90 minutes. Of course, if you're talking about an M96, thats a different story. Whoever decided that "Le Mans" cam drive was a good idea for a street car made a very bad choice.

Neither one can be compared to MB's M113. Those rarely have to leave the engine bay.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:36 PM

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupé
Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
You have a Euro spec Coupe in the US?! How did that happen? So I guess you have Parktronic too?

I mean the car's short so it can easily fit into many spaces. Just nice to know exactly how much room I have back there for those tighter spots.
I'm American and the car is in Paris. I found it in Darmstadt in Germany at the MB dealer. For the test drive the salesman took it out on the autobahn and before we knew it the car was going 150mph. Very stable at that speed!

Sold.

Yup, I've got parktronic but had a backup camera discreetly mounted above the rear license plate - it shows up on the TV screen when the car is put in reverse. Once you get that you're hooked.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:50 PM

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupé
Originally Posted by CLK55_NYC
agreed.. my 2001 W208 is very solid...66k miles and I run it HARD + would feel fine bout tracking it.. as soon as I take out the amps and W7's out of the trunk..
I have a big ol' Brax amp and a 13 inch sub in the trunk - if anything that slug of weight down low improved the tracking. Those rear tires need load to hold their grip.