CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Those who had a M3 and switched to CLK55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 SL65
Those who had a M3 and switched to CLK55

What was the reason for your switch. Can you give me the pros and cons of both cars. I am torn between getting a new CLK55 or a new M3.

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2003, 02:21 PM
Almost a Member!

Pros:

1) Exclusitivity. Everyone here has a BMW...I constantly see at least 3-4 M3's on the roads everyday. I've only seen one other CLK55
2) V8. The M3's V6 needed some high RPM's to get the power I wanted. The CLK55's low end torque makes it much better in city driving -- which I do most. Also, the exhause note on the CLK55 is MUCH better. The M3's sounded like a chain-saw when I accelerated.
3) Luxury. Since the the CLK55 is my daily driver, I prefer the overall comfort that the MB gives us. The BMW was more involved...good for tracking...not too good for basic city driving.
4) the RECALL. My M3 was part of the recall. I didn't want the local BMW tech taking apart my engine and putting it back together. He couldn't even change my oil properly! I do honestly believe that they over-engineered this engine...should have put a V8. Maybe when they put a V8 in the M3, I'll get it.

Cons:
1) Handling. I do miss the M3's handling....but this is rare. I'm thinking of upgrading to the Kleeman suspension. I hear this makes the ride firm up when pushed hard, but stock-like under normal conditions.
2) Manual transmission. I wished the CLK55 had a manual transmission. Oh well...

Overall, I couldn't be happier. I'm glad I switched over. If you can, test drive the CLK55...that's all it took for me to make the move!
Old 07-22-2003, 05:07 PM
Almost a Member!

currently c240
I used to own a brand new m3, i test drove it and boom! i bought it. I'm young not even 23 and i felt Mercedes was for a little bit for older people. I used to hang out at this racing joint, when i had my c32 amg. I used to rip any jap in my way. Then i was like m3, got rid of the c32, and got an m3. Then all of a sudden, there 2 M3'S in the parking lot who just bought them like 3 weeks after me. Then i was getting beat by all these cars, [ i'm good shifter too ]. Then, the car was fine but i just got bored of seeing it infront of me, behind me its all over my town, and it gets boring to drive. So i said forget it, c32? na, let me go a step higher and i purchased and clk55 amg. I know i'm going to cry when i let go of it.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:54 PM

'06 SL65
I'm actually leaning towards the CLK 55. I heard some of the earlier E46 M3s had blown engines (100+ engines or so?) I believe they did over engineer the Inline 6 as they tried to pump out as much ponies in that I6. If the CLK 55 has forged pistons/internals, reliability would be much greater if you add performance mods (I don't think the M3s are forged).
Old 07-22-2003, 11:11 PM
Almost a Member!

'02 BMW M3 convertible
Re: Those who had a M3 and switched to CLK55

Originally posted by LIONHEAD
... I am torn between getting a new CLK55 or a new M3.
Depends on what YOU want out of the experience (should I fly to Europe or take a ship).
I don't have the AMG yet, so can't compare, but M3 handles great -- will not let you down. If you (or wife) ever want to drive it in automatic, the SMG totally sucks in auto, and takes a lot of getting used to in manual mode.
The handling is great, but you pay a price in ride comfort. Our L.A. streets are poorly maintained, and I finally got tired of the harsh ride -- but I am an older guy seeking comfort.
As to "exclusivity", in LA, lots of BMW 300s, but I don't see that many M3s. And lots of CLKs, but I don't see that many AMGs. I think its a tie, if exclusivity is your goal -- but obviously depends on where you live.
Personally, I do think the M3 is a sportier looking car that looks like it means business. The AMG doesn't have much on outside styling to distinguish it from rest of line, and does bear too much resemblance to it's "C" ancestor.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:31 PM

'06 SL65
Yeah....I just have to figure out what exactly I want. I agree the M3 looks sportier and better in the twisties but with firmer suspension....you give up ride comfort. I am planning to mod the car and I believe it would be easier and more reliable to mod the CLK55 as the M3 is pretty much maxed and any forced air or internal modification will just kill the block. I currently own a '02 S500 ,'01 E320 4matic and C5 Corvette with 435 BHP (heads and cam, headers, full bolt on dynoed at 363 rwhp) in which I will trade in for the CLK55 or M3. Having a Supra TT and currently a C5 Corvette,I'm kind of sick of the sports car scene and want more of a "Luxury" sports coupe in the stable....just which one is the question I need to answer.

Last edited by LIONHEAD; 07-23-2003 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:42 PM

'06 SL65
Here are what I see as comparing the two cars....please correct me if I'm wrong:

* BMW M3 styling is more sportier (objective of course) while the CLK 55 resembles too much of the C Class (which isn't a bad thing)

* M3 has better performance times althought the CLK 55 1/4 mile tramp speed is higher due to the V8 as the M3's I6 most likely was running out of juice at higher speeds

* M3 is better in the twisties/handling but the CLK 55 is a better daily driver and less punishing than the M3 on long road trips

* CLK 55 is probably easier to mod as the M3 reliability may be in question if you plan to do any engine modifications

* M3 is lighter than the CLK55 = M3 better cornering and performance

* Interior: (maybe someone can chime in as I've never been in a M3 or CLK 55)
Old 07-23-2003, 12:38 AM
Almost a Member!

'02 BMW M3 convertible
M3 vs, AMG

I want more of a "Luxury" sports coupe in the stable... just which one is the question I need to answer.
I think you've finally answered your own question, since, as between the two, the CLK55 AMG is the "Luxury" sports coupe. M3 is the "Performance" sports coupe.
I'm surprised to hear that you haven't seen or driven either -- you must see them both before you make a decision. Our opinions and words of "advice" can take you only so far.
However, I've had BMWs for over 15 years (Porsches before that), but the more I learn of the AMG, the more enthusiastic I get.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:11 AM
Almost a Member!

CLK55; Ferrari TR: 325Xi: (3) 32 Ford Hot rods
I've had several M3's over nearly 20 years, including serial#1 in 1984 (one of my ex-wives worked for BMWNA). As most have stated the M3 is definitely a "sport" machine. They have always had high tech cutting edge motors and superb suspension.

But test drive an M3 and a CLK55 back to back. The 55 will feel like a luxo coupe, soft suspension, automatic transmission and many standard ammenities that are not even optional on an M3.

As for exculsivity, they are about equal. Lots of BMW 3's but very few M3's, same as lots of MB's but very few AMG's.

If you want to go from A to B fast - then it's the M3. If you want to go from A to B quickly, but comfortably, it's the 55. If you just want to go from A to B then your in the wrong forum!

Good luck!
Old 07-23-2003, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Ferrariman
I've had several M3's over nearly 20 years, including serial#1 in 1984 (one of my ex-wives worked for BMWNA). As most have stated the M3 is definitely a "sport" machine. They have always had high tech cutting edge motors and superb suspension.

But test drive an M3 and a CLK55 back to back. The 55 will feel like a luxo coupe, soft suspension, automatic transmission and many standard ammenities that are not even optional on an M3.

As for exculsivity, they are about equal. Lots of BMW 3's but very few M3's, same as lots of MB's but very few AMG's.

If you want to go from A to B fast - then it's the M3. If you want to go from A to B quickly, but comfortably, it's the 55. If you just want to go from A to B then your in the wrong forum!

Good luck!
Hahaha....you are so funny. Although I have never owned a BMW in my life and I dont think I will, I agree with you 100%.

Wow...."....one of my ex-wives...."???? How many have you got altogether???
Old 07-23-2003, 02:03 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK 55
I had the same dilemma

Hi Lionhead

I purchased a CLK55 6 weeks ago and I did some comparison-shopping before I made my purchase.

Some of this info was contained in a previous post I made, but I will repost since I have more data to work with.

Background
I had an E-36 M3 for 6 years, which I loved. I have also been driving BMW for 10 years. To say I am biased would be an understatement. I only decided to look at the CLK after reading about M3 engine troubles. This apparent engine problem has been minimize so don’t let that be a factor in your decision. I personally think the E36 M3 (previous model) handles better than the E46 (current) because it has a much more neutral handling.

Comparison vs. CLK55

Speed

This is a tough to call. The M3 has better 0-60 numbers on paper (4.7 for M3 vs. 5.0 for CLK), but it takes a lot more manipulation to get top-level performance out of the M3. The reason is simple – TORQUE. The M3 has only 262 lbs of torque compared to 376lb of torque for the CLK55. The CLK55 sweet spot starts as low as 3000 RPM. The M3 start at 4900 RPM. The CLK also has a V8 and anything over 60MPH bodes well in the CLK favor. The M3 is very fast, but you have to WIND that engine to get the optimal torque range of 5-8 RPMS while the CLK starts off much lower.

Side note - I actually had an opportunity to go up against a M3 that had DINAN stage two modifications on it (a guy from my gym) and it was dead heat. I just got on the highway when this guy from my gym flew past me. I decided to go after him and quickly pull up right behind him to start off and stayed on his butt (at a safe distance) the entire time without him not able to pull away. I was smiling because I know he was trying because I would see the extra smoke coming out of his exhaust as he was churning through the gears. I was just pressing the accelerator and not using the manumatic mode. We were already going 90+ when I decided to drop into 4th (manumatic mode) and started gaining quickly, but there was traffic up ahead and we both had to slow down. The next time I saw him he gave me a lot of respect and remarked how fast my car was.

Handling

The M3 wins this battle. It doesn’t hurt the M3 comes with 18” rims that can be upgraded to 19”. The CLK handles well, but the stock suspension doesn’t hug the curve like the M3. This is the only thing I miss about the M. However, with a few modifications (Rims, springs etc.), this advantage can be somewhat negated. The M3 is a lighter car and is better balanced to begin with. The CLK’s AMG suspension is good, but is not up to the Ms level.

Engine Sound
CLK all the way. The 8 cylinder sounds a smooth as butter. So sweeeeeeet. The M has a high winding sound. Some people like that some people don’t.

Torque (SEE SPEED ABOVE)
CLK wins and results in a faster response in pure mashing of the accelerator. Of course the fact that the M3 comes in SMG and stick somewhat equalizes the gain by Mercedes, but I drove a stick shift M3 and the torque difference alone would have lead me to purchase the CLK.

Interior.
CLK hands down. The car just looks classy inside and feels rich. The M has a nice interior, but the CLK will make the ladies go OOOOOH.

Exterior
CLK wins. I know this purely personal opinion, but the w208 CLK is one of the best looking cars out there. The M is nice looking, but the commonality of the 3 series minimizes the looks somewhat. The W208 CLK still maintains that Mystique even after 7 years on the market. The W209 is nice looking also, but the car has loss some of its edginess with the body change.

Stereo
If you need to ask then you have never heard the stereo in both cars. People complain about the Bose in the CLK, but the HK system SUCKS.

I hope this helps and sorry for being long winded.
Old 07-23-2003, 04:19 PM
Almost a Member!

Wow...."....one of my ex-wives...."???? How many have you got altogether???
Not to get off topic, but enough to start a really long thread!!
Old 07-23-2003, 11:21 PM
Almost a Member!

'02 BMW M3 convertible
M3 to AMG

Originally posted by Ferrariman
The 55 will feel like a luxo coupe (with)... many standard ammenities that are not even optional on an M3.
Ferrariman -
You got me thinking, but I'm drawing a blank. I'd appreciate it if you would list some of those "amenities" that the AMG has that the M3 doesn't.
My '02 M3 seemed pretty well equipped in terms of amenities, and I'm wondering what my new AMG is going to have that M3 didn't (at least the M3 had cupholders for the driver -- a complaint I have seen posted a lot about the AMG, and the back-up warning system ('Parktronic') that costs about $1000 on CLK came standard with my BMW).
Old 07-24-2003, 08:50 AM
Almost a Member!

I'd appreciate it if you would list some of those "amenities" that the AMG has that the M3 doesn't.
I can't possibly think of all the differences but the ones that came to mind where:
- the driver programable entry feature that moves the seat and steering wheel out of the way upon entry or exit
- Humidity sensor
- HEPA tye filters on the climate control
- telescoping steering wheel (? not sure about this on the M3?)

options like:
- Ventilated seats
- keyless entry
- Distronic (slows the car while in cruise control if it gets too close to another car)
- rear window sunshade

These are just off the top of my head. I'd suggest going to your MB dealer and get into a CLK55 and see what you notice and what is important to you.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

marta
even though im a huge fan of the M3, i would probably take the clk55 over it.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:34 AM

2002 C32 AMG
True That !

I agree with brother Ferrariman, both are truly great cars for there respective designs, one is all about performance with the comprise on comfort and luxury (M3, which I do love) , The other is designed for comfort, poise, grace, Power up the A$$ (CLK55) I've owned many cars over my years, BMW, AUDI, SAAB, MB, PORSCHE and I must say, My favorite is a 996 period, but my 02, CLK55 is truly a blast to drive and a very close second. Now as far as performance in a liner fashion I have raced many of my friends M3 (current platform) and have won, but when I come to the twisty, the M3 rules. The choice is hard, this I think we all know that. My last comment would be simply this, out of all the negative comments my friends say about the M3 here are three of them.
1 - Service SUCKS –
2 - RIDE IS TOO DAM HARD FOR DAILY DRIVING –
3 – Engine not very responsive less than 4K

One of my friends needed to borrow one of my cars for the weekend, So I lent him the BEAST, after he came back he told me, that he was going to sell is 03/M3 to obtain a CLK55, he loved the engine (what's not to love?) the ride, and solidness of the ///AMG – his 03 is being delivered next week, there you have it, another member to the Dark Side.

Old 07-24-2003, 09:45 PM

CLK55
Yeah....I just have to figure out what exactly I want. I agree the M3 looks sportier and better in the twisties but with firmer suspension....you give up ride comfort. I am planning to mod the car and I believe it would be easier and more reliable to mod the CLK55 as the M3 is pretty much maxed and any forced air or internal modification will just kill the block. I currently own a '02 S500 ,'01 E320 4matic and C5 Corvette with 435 BHP (heads and cam, headers, full bolt on dynoed at 363 rwhp) in which I will trade in for the CLK55 or M3. Having a Supra TT and currently a C5 Corvette,I'm kind of sick of the sports car scene and want more of a "Luxury" sports coupe in the stable....just which one is the question I need to answer.
Have you driven the new E55 yet?

I'm not a 4 door person by any means, but that car rocks...
Old 07-25-2003, 10:41 AM

2002 C32 AMG
I have driven a New E55 - Yes the car rocks in a straight line, but like the CLK55 in the twist and turns I rather have a M5 - the suspension just doesn't do it for me and the brakes - too tech, I removes the human factor. Just my two cents, keep the change
Old 08-05-2003, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Re: True That !

Originally posted by 5439cc
One of my friends needed to borrow one of my cars for the weekend, So I lent him the BEAST, after he came back he told me, that he was going to sell is 03/M3 to obtain a CLK55, he loved the engine (what's not to love?) the ride, and solidness of the ///AMG – his 03 is being delivered next week, there you have it, another member to the Dark Side.

I've lost count as to how MANY you've now converted, LOL!! MB should at least send you a dash plaque or something.