CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

2004 CLK55 Kleemann Build

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 383 Likes on 348 Posts
00 C200 & 00 C55 & 06 SLK55
They looks soo great Jeff, especially with "2" piece Hat....,,

i think they are "390x36"....isn't...??

ZAYED,,
Old 07-29-2013, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
cleaned up the clk this weekend...... no bbk yet... have to install the new rotor discs on the rotors hats. Waiting for sub 100 deg F weather to get back in the shop

Old 07-29-2013, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
Looks good man! I drove my car today for the first time in two or three weeks.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Small Update: Since it's been 100deg F for weeks it seems, I've been stalled on car projects.
Finally gave in and worked on the clk today...

Black Headlights - I was unhappy with the polish job on my old h/l lenses. I wanted jewel shine.... not haze...... so ordered new h/ls...... installed the black inserts and all good.
My auto-level was in-op also..... re-ren new wiring to the psg side light.. all soldered and heat shrink...... had a short in a wire in that loom due to rubbing on the kleemann h/e hoses..... guys running kleeman blowers check your hose routing.

Looks so much better with new clear lenses and the black back-ground parts.

In-dash cup-holder spring gave out last week...... pushed it in to place my coffee on way to work..... and I hear a loud "BOINGGGG"...... then cup retract in-op.... stuck part way out. New one on the way. I understand its one-bolt..... BUT you get to remove the radio/console and gbox..... that will wait for a cool front.

Remaining projects:
* install new rotora replacement discs on hats.
* Re-paint rotora calipers and install amg stickers.
* Install bbk.
* install rear hr springs
* Install rear Koni yellows.....
* Install rear hr sway bar.

ML63 projects:
* install new slotted 2 pc rotors
* flush brake fluid w/motul blue
* install new pads
* install new rear bumper insert..... old one blem.
* re-paint calipers..... orig owner did a half-assed job..... almost orange in color.... going with red.

DRIVE!

Here's the ml63 factory black background hl for reference.

bad wires to psgr head light...... re-ran all of these new

Last edited by betrezra; 08-11-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 CLK55, '04 CLK320
Wow the new headlight lenses look great! Where did you order them from? You're the first I've heard to be able to get them ordered separately from the headlights. You had to take off your bumper and baked the headlights again to get the old ones off? That seems like a big headache
Old 08-13-2013, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Moedy
Wow the new headlight lenses look great! Where did you order them from? You're the first I've heard to be able to get them ordered separately from the headlights. You had to take off your bumper and baked the headlights again to get the old ones off? That seems like a big headache
I believe he bought whole new headlight assemblies. If I could find just the lenses, I would have bought them ages ago. Mine look terrible.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Yeah.... I 'WISH' I could have just bought the lenses. Actually someone should mfr the lenses, they could sell a boatload!!!!!!!!

Put the new head-light assy in the oven @ 150 for a few minutes and the lense pops out with a butter knife! Not for the faint of heart with the high $$$ hl assy.

Totally makes the front end pop.... AND the light it throws out now is amazing.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:33 AM

'05 CLK55, '04 CLK320
Originally Posted by 91RS
I believe he bought whole new headlight assemblies. If I could find just the lenses, I would have bought them ages ago. Mine look terrible.
Ah ok I misinterpreted that. Yeah same here

Originally Posted by betrezra
Yeah.... I 'WISH' I could have just bought the lenses. Actually someone should mfr the lenses, they could sell a boatload!!!!!!!!

Put the new head-light assy in the oven @ 150 for a few minutes and the lense pops out with a butter knife! Not for the faint of heart with the high $$$ hl assy.

Totally makes the front end pop.... AND the light it throws out now is amazing.
My only guess for a cheaper fix is to buy a set of halogens just to pull off the lenses to put on the existing xenon headlights. I'm not sure the lenses are the same though

You never did tell me how you fixed the washer fluid reservoir. I keep getting the washer fluid low warning and can't figure out where it's leaking. Did you just buy a whole new reservoir and replace the old one?
Old 08-16-2013, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Headlight washer fixed: Just changed he rubber seal and all good.

Today finally finished my suspension:
Rear h&r spring with #4 pads installed.
Rear h&r sway installed
Rear Konica yellows installed.
Rear bbk in.

Sunday ill install the front bbl and then ill be done for now.

Then on the hunt for some wheels.

Really like the kleemann ts6..... But wow 6k!!!!!!!! Expensive!
Old 08-19-2013, 08:35 AM

'05 CLK55, '04 CLK320
Headlight washer fixed: Just changed he rubber seal and all good.
was this referring to my question? This fixed the leaking washer fluid tank?
Old 08-19-2013, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Yes. My tank was leaking at the connection at the top of the lower tank.

Another possible leak is the bottom of pump seals.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:20 PM

'05 CLK55, '04 CLK320
Thanks. It's hard to get a good look but I'll have to check that out. Any prospects on new wheels yet?
Old 08-21-2013, 05:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
No real progress on wheels. I plan to finish my bbk project first after a couple setbacks with that rotora kit I bought off of here. Punting on rotora and going with amg 6/4 setup.

Wheel options:
Kleemann t6
Or some lw racing wheels tbd.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 194 Posts
CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
No real progress on wheels. I plan to finish my bbk project first after a couple setbacks with that rotora kit I bought off of here. Punting on rotora and going with amg 6/4 setup.

Wheel options:
Kleemann t6
Or some lw racing wheels tbd.
That's not good. What was wrong with the Rotora kit? I thought you got new rotors and that solved the issue.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Bought all new replaceable discs from rotora, and new hardware..... installed the kit and followed detailed break-in procedure from rotora...... scrub off the silver coating with 25-0mph stops..... then heat up 45 mph braking to heat up rotors..... then perform 8-10 60mph-5mph stops gradually getting more aggressive........ after 2nd 60-5mph slow down..... started vibrating the steering wheel..... car stops like a beast..... just vibrates under part brake pedal use.... under massive brake pedal vibes not bad..... but NO GOOD for daily driver...... I'll sell the kit on ebay and just advise new owner to have discs turned or get new ones....... I give up on this rotora kit.

very very dissapointing.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 G55k
2.23.13 Tuneup -

Just gave the old girl some love///// this AM//////
Oil Change
Filter
Spark Plugs
Air Filters
New Serpentine Belt
@ 44,500 Miles.

Discovered my tensioner pulley is delaminating on part of it..... so I'll order a new one.
Old belt was pretty stretched out and had some worn spots.

****road test shows big improvement.
traction issues again.

How long and how many miles after the install did you decide to replace all these parts? Mainly the spark plugs and serpentine belt. Did you notice a decline in performance before you decided to replace these things?

Reason I ask is my car suddenly developed a hesitation on acceleration. After a good 8 months of issue free motoring, it bogs down when I depress the gas quickly. When slowly depressing the gas pedal it's ok through the rev range though. Trying to figure out what it is.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:03 PM

2008 G55k
Upgrade he arrived today...... all parts are here.... time to build.

Wow!!! Where can I pick one of those up?? Would you have the dimensions of the unit? So I can measure if there's any room for me to install one behind my bumper. Also, is it a direct swap with the Kleemann unit?
Old 08-22-2013, 06:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Bonita -
I do a spark plug change every oil change or 6-8K Miles. I find the plugs need it in my case and car runs better after. Plus a good time to go over the top end of the engine for loose hoses, vac lines etc.....
Belt change and new tensioner woke up the car because belt was slipping. I like the gator back goodyear. New tensioner is not much $$ and is really key to keeping the belt tight with a kleeman blower running off the single accy serpentine belt drive. And old tired tensioner and you will have belt slip.

That HE was from a vendor< I think FTP out of Ohio.... got it off ebay...... not too hard to fit, and made a HUGE difference in my 100deg F Houston Summer.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 194 Posts
CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Bought all new replaceable discs from rotora, and new hardware..... installed the kit and followed detailed break-in procedure from rotora...... scrub off the silver coating with 25-0mph stops..... then heat up 45 mph braking to heat up rotors..... then perform 8-10 60mph-5mph stops gradually getting more aggressive........ after 2nd 60-5mph slow down..... started vibrating the steering wheel..... car stops like a beast..... just vibrates under part brake pedal use.... under massive brake pedal vibes not bad..... but NO GOOD for daily driver...... I'll sell the kit on ebay and just advise new owner to have discs turned or get new ones....... I give up on this rotora kit.

very very dissapointing.
Eh that sucks. That's why I am always wary about buying used brakes online. Calipers are worth the money mostly...but rotors should be considered junk. It's strange that the vibration continued after you replaced the rotors. Maybe there was something wrong with the pads or the calipers were mounted off center.

The 6/4 Brembo setup is much better anyway. Glad you chose to go that way. I have mine sitting waiting to be installed....I'll get to it one of these days.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:49 PM

2008 G55k
Bonita -
I do a spark plug change every oil change or 6-8K Miles. I find the plugs need it in my case and car runs better after. Plus a good time to go over the top end of the engine for loose hoses, vac lines etc.....
Belt change and new tensioner woke up the car because belt was slipping. I like the gator back goodyear. New tensioner is not much $$ and is really key to keeping the belt tight with a kleeman blower running off the single accy serpentine belt drive. And old tired tensioner and you will have belt slip.

That HE was from a vendor< I think FTP out of Ohio.... got it off ebay...... not too hard to fit, and made a HUGE difference in my 100deg F Houston Summer.
Thanks for the info! I will definitely keep all of this in mind. The HE looks very very interesting to me because I am also in 100+deg F weather but for more than 8 months of the year over here in the Philippines. The other 4 months are in the 80s-90s and wet . And I have noticed a difference in performance when the sun goes down and it's a bit cooler out so I think that HE looks to be a viable option.

On a side note, I figured out what the hesitation was. My terminal relay to the Kleemann fuel pump "went bad" due to water finding its way through my firewall and under the dash from our recent bad weather here in Manila. The relay shorted so I had no secondary fuel pump for a couple of days. The motor was starved for fuel and was hesitating under acceleration. I just replaced and rewired my relay housing and relays and relocated them all and no more hesitation thank goodness.

Thanks again for the info once again!
Old 08-22-2013, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Anytime Bonita, this small community of kleemann heads needs to work together!
Old 08-22-2013, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BonitaBeast
Thanks for the info! I will definitely keep all of this in mind. The HE looks very very interesting to me because I am also in 100+deg F weather but for more than 8 months of the year over here in the Philippines. The other 4 months are in the 80s-90s and wet . And I have noticed a difference in performance when the sun goes down and it's a bit cooler out so I think that HE looks to be a viable option.

On a side note, I figured out what the hesitation was. My terminal relay to the Kleemann fuel pump "went bad" due to water finding its way through my firewall and under the dash from our recent bad weather here in Manila. The relay shorted so I had no secondary fuel pump for a couple of days. The motor was starved for fuel and was hesitating under acceleration. I just replaced and rewired my relay housing and relays and relocated them all and no more hesitation thank goodness.

Thanks again for the info once again!
I was driving mine around with no secondary pump for about a week not long ago. The pump kept blowing the fuse and I found a bunch of corrosion on the negative terminal of the pump. I tried cleaning it, but the terminal started to bend when I put it back together so it was already too late. I had to replace the pump. And now the conduit on the stainless hose from the secondary pump to the rail fell off and the hose rubbed through. So now I have to deal with that.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:12 AM

2008 G55k
Originally Posted by 91RS
I was driving mine around with no secondary pump for about a week not long ago. The pump kept blowing the fuse and I found a bunch of corrosion on the negative terminal of the pump. I tried cleaning it, but the terminal started to bend when I put it back together so it was already too late. I had to replace the pump. And now the conduit on the stainless hose from the secondary pump to the rail fell off and the hose rubbed through. So now I have to deal with that.
Ouch. I hear ya. Sounds all too familiar. A little bit of Vaseline petroleum jelly goes a long way on the exposed terminals of the water pump and the fuel pump.

As for the hoses to and from the secondary pump to fuel rail to fuel regulator to fuel filter, etc...... I feel your pain. After many trials with inferior fuel hoses, I finally found a great hose (Goodridge Nylon braided 210-06 hoses with matching fittings). For the braided line to the fuel rail I don't think there's a substitute for the original though.

Sorry Betrezra for the threadjack. Your W208 is exactly how I would want mine if I had one Understated but not... (to those who know). Always been my motto.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
No worries Bonita.... I'm no thread nazxi.
I'm glad you can see the theme I was after. Somewhat understated until you hit the gas,

Brembo arrived last night.... Just waiting on rotors. Then back in the game.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BonitaBeast
Ouch. I hear ya. Sounds all too familiar. A little bit of Vaseline petroleum jelly goes a long way on the exposed terminals of the water pump and the fuel pump.

As for the hoses to and from the secondary pump to fuel rail to fuel regulator to fuel filter, etc...... I feel your pain. After many trials with inferior fuel hoses, I finally found a great hose (Goodridge Nylon braided 210-06 hoses with matching fittings). For the braided line to the fuel rail I don't think there's a substitute for the original though.

Sorry Betrezra for the threadjack. Your W208 is exactly how I would want mine if I had one Understated but not... (to those who know). Always been my motto.
Yeah, Cory suggested battery terminal protectant. I only had the new pump on for about a week when the line rubbed through and it's been sitting for a few weeks now.

I've lost count at the amount of hose I've been through. I'm using some Goodyear hose now that has been working the longest. I can't find anyone in my area that will crimp it like they do at Kleemann, no one will touch fuel or brake hoses here. I'm going to end up taking the whole thing off and sending it to Kleemann in Colorado and have it crimped by whoever they use so I will hopefully not have any more issues. How did you use the Goodridge hose though? It looks like it only comes in the -4, -6 sizes. The barbs are 5/16" which is in between -4 and -6. I know your kit is newer than mine since your kit uses the W210 fuel pump for the secondary pump rather than the Bosch motorsports pump mine uses.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2004 CLK55 Kleemann Build