CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Autocrossing with Porsche

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
Autocrossing with Porsche

I have had this car for about a year now and taking care of it diligently.
I started Autocrossing with the local Porsche club over the holiday weekend and noticed my front bumper cover starting to get funky looking around the passenger headlight area.
I did an under car inspection before and after the event and nothing has changed bodywise. The car has never been in an accident but some of the wheel well plastic is missing.
Is this an easy fix or is something broken under the cover like a guide pin or something?
Old 06-03-2013, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

https://mbworld.org/forums/members/g...-fit-9526.html

Still getting the hang of posting photos here. photobucket?

Cheers, Gator
Old 06-05-2013, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
How do you know the car was not in an accident? Especially if there are bits missing?

It's common to have front bumper covers replaced and it might not show up on a carfax if the PO did it himself sans insurance. Sounds as if yours could have been off or replaced and some of the un-seen parts were not put back on.

You are prolly just missing a few nuts and bolts inside. Get on the free EPC to see which attachments points are where and then locate them on your car to see what is missing . Taking off a bumper cover is hard only once, after that you can do it easy again now that you know how it all goes. GL ! http://epc.startekinfo.com/epc/
Old 06-06-2013, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks Jim,
l will give it a try, I read a DIY bumper cover thread some time ago. The plastic support and water guards look like a parking block might have stripped them off.(
I have seen startec mentioned in many posts but thought it might be a subscription service.
My first Autocross, did lousy but had speed and excellence. in cornering. I miss a lot of the course. Lol
I was told the car was capable of a top 3.
I will be going back, Its a blast.
Gator

Posted from Mbworld.org App for Android
Old 08-30-2013, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 FEH Ltd, 2011 E350 Cab, 1995 993C4 Cab
Properly set-up p-cars are a riot to auto-x. Especially the older ones where electronics are not there to get in the way. Plus they are great tailwaggers if you play them right.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Jim 500e was correct,

There is a nylon (bakelite) assembly that rivets to the bumper cover for clamping to the lip of the fender. The piece becomes brittle with age and breaks off. There is a special extra long bolt that it works with to hold the bumper secure to the fender. Should be an easy fix when the weather cooperates, If its not 100^ its raining.

I am kind of a novice in Autocross and doing much better. Last month in the blistering heat I out drove 1 caddy, 1 BMW-M, and two mustang GT. Its only going to get better from here. the CLK is not the best overall autocrosser bus has all the tools to get it done. It is class B SCCA and I was close but lagging to the Class B times on the track.

I am leaving traction control enabled for now as I get more familiar with the reaction events on rapid accel and deaccel coupled with full bore hard cornering and shifting 1-2 in some cases. I love it and it only hurts the tires a bit.
Best service for this kind of event is chassis inspection and re-torque all chassis supports and steering to frame components. (Box especially)

Next Porsche event is in 2 weeks, (IM all in). This will be the last for awhile but there is an event in November @ Daytona International Speedway for training and solo top end runs. I will probable work the event and get some track time in the future. The event is for seasoned drivers. The CLK is limited to 155 anyway, Is it fast enough?
Old 09-03-2013, 07:07 AM

It's great you are getting into the Auto=X scene. It is a blast to zip around the cones. That said, it's not all about speed - braking, cornering, reaction times all take park. The best part of auto-xing is that if you blow a turn all that happens is th. at you flatten some cones.

Air-cooled Porsches continue to hold their value, the 993 market fluctuates - right now it is on the upswing. My 993 is supposedly worth close to the CLK's asking price even in fair condition. Depending on where you are located, a 1995 may be best as it is still OBD-I. Here in MO a 1995 is safety only and 1996 on up ECU's are read for readiness flags. Rennlist is the most active site for posting while Pelican Parts has a better marketplace.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 993, Hmmmmm!

I am going to write that down!!

We do not have inspections in Florida at all. The last inspection program closed down in 1981.
I am working on a reader/flasher for Euro cars for personal use and getting close.
OBD-1 might be an option as well.

All the Best, Gator
Old 09-03-2013, 08:37 PM

95's do not have the Varioram intake, which adds some horsepower but was introduced in the 1996 models. But, and this is huge, the 96 and up OBD-II ECU's read SAI (secondary air injection) codes which can cause issues. The SIA ports (in the exhaust valve guide area) can clog. There are several fixes from taking the heads off, soaking the passages with cleaner and then reaming out with a modified brake cable on a dremel tool to having the valve guides replaced in addition to opening the ports. Porsche used a soft metal for the guides and these wear cause issues. Owning a Porsche is definitely fun though.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey Craig, Thanks for the added input:

I have always been a Porsche guy but we have to work within our limitations so to speak.
I wouldn't call the CLK55 a poor mans porsche but it was the fastest car Mercedes produced in 2001/2.
http://www.marcusfitzhugh.com/CLK/DIY/

The CLK55 AMG was based off of a E chassis which makes it rather uniuqe and AMG added every bit of technology available plus a take no prisioner engine and suspension. One can admire the ability to go Drag, SCCA sanctioned or Autocross racing. Roll down your sleeves and put on your best tie for some serious luxury in the same car.
The Mercedes CLK is one of the few that can handle all out performance events with the big guys. I am in it for the fun and skill achievment.

Most of my projects are on hold as the office has been overwhelming my time.
Do you guys have a tuning forum over there (peach)? I am working on a touch screen programmer with BBB interface, Microchip MCP 2515 and a Euro flasher, all @standstill for now. Coding is evident as the best soulotion is near, Have Injection maps and wide band O2 in code already.

https://mbworld.org/forums/members/g...ous-10303.html
made some great photos for you guys with GNU and it was not uploadable. oh whell.

All the Best, Gator

Last edited by GatorMB; 09-14-2013 at 03:07 PM. Reason: added content