CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

HELP with power steering please!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 CLK55 AMG Cabriolet
HELP with power steering please!!!

Hey guys, I could really use some input on this. I have a 2006 clk55 with 92,000 miles and Im starting to have issues for the first time. 2 weeks ago I got the eurocharged tune and everything was great. 3 days later I got in the car to go to work in the morning and my power steering was gone. I dont associate the tune with this problem but I want to give full details. So I take it to the dealership and have them check it out. They check the power steering fluid and it is at a normal level and there are no leaks. I leave the car with them and later that day after checking it out they say that my power steering pump had failed and needed to be replaced. $800 for parts and labor. I get it replaced thinking that at least its not the rack and pinion and that it will solve all my problems. WRONG. This is where it gets weird. I moved up to Chicago from North Carolina that week but I had to get up here before my car was done so I flew up and my brother picked the car up from the dealership when it was done and drove it up for me. When he got up to Chicago, I got into my car and I immediately noticed that the power steering was still not right. It isn't completely out like before but it is still closer to no power steering than being fixed and normal. My brother knows nothing about cars so he thought that was how a sports car is supposed to feel . So now I'm in Chicago driving and every time I get out of the car I smell a burning rubber or transmission smell coming from under the car. Now today when getting out of the car on a hot day and only a 2 mile commute I can actually see some light smoke coming from under the car. HELP! I'm VERY irritated that the dealership released my car knowing that it wasn't fixed. They claim that they test drive it after they fix it to make sure its good....what a lie. Now I'm in Chicago with only my car so ill have to get a rental if I drop it off anywhere. Anyone have any suggestions? Anyone live in the area and could check it out?

Thanks in advance for reading this long story.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:55 AM

'06 CLK55 AMG Cabriolet
Dealership

I gave in and took it to another dealership in Chicago. Ill let you guys know what it ends up being. I hope this doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:58 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Firemist O5 CLK55 Cab Silver 05 CLK55 Coupe Tanzanite 06 CLK500 Coupe
Midwest Performance on Lake Street is very good
Fletcher jones will bend you over...
Old 06-24-2013, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
Nice ride,

It has to be a PS fluid leak, The smell is fluid burning off the exhaust somewhere.
Either a loose connection from the repair or a semi rotten hose that was disturbed during the repair.
It should be an easy fix.

Gator
Old 06-24-2013, 09:23 PM

'06 CLK55 AMG Cabriolet
Its worse, way worse.

Well its the transmission. The front and rear pump seals are leaking. Thats the burning I was smelling. This one is gonna hurt. As far as the steering goes, they said the new pump needs to be broken in and thats why it is still stiff .

To throw salt on the wound, they also showed me that my front thrust arm bushings need to be replaced, I need a new motor mount, and a new trans mount. This is a one owner car with EVERY service besides this one done at the same mercedes dealership. I just done understand how all of this could have gone unnoticed until now.

Thanks for the input by the way. At this point I am only getting the seals replaced, I need to make a decision on whether I am going to keep the car or sell it before I hit 100,000 miles. What do you guys think it would go for?

Last edited by mercamerica; 06-24-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
If you go forward with trans seals if they drop the trans have the rear main seal replaced as all. Gl this all sounds like normal main at this MLg. Gl
Old 06-25-2013, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I couldn't advise you either way on selling that car. These cars command a high maintenance cost not to mention collusion repairs if you have ever experienced that.
I wrenched on them at the highest quality rated dealership in Florida while tending college in my youth and every one gets a bad day once in a while weather your a mechanic or a pilot. The dealership is the most trusted place to get it right with the right parts.
Some Indy shops have qualities not found in dealerships though like ways to save a buck.
It is unfortunate that the trans seal blew shortly after having the car serviced, but at least you know that repair is going to be in the past. A new car will start the process all over again but under warranty hopefully.
I wonder if something cooked that seal like a overheating converter or something. (hunch)

Cheers, Gator
Old 07-01-2013, 01:58 AM

'06 CLK55 AMG Cabriolet
Update

Well I pick my car up tomorrow. Yall's suspicion of the torque converter was correct. When they dropped the transmission they could see that they bearing in the bell housing had gone bad. Had to replace it and the torque converter. Sorry if that doesn't make sense, Im an amateur mechanic haha. Im excited to see how much power I get back.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:04 AM

'06 CLK55 AMG Cabriolet
Could be a stupid question but would the work done by the dealer have reset my ECU tune?
Old 07-02-2013, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Merc,

It is normal procedure on any car to disconnect the battery when the transmission comes out. Many other procedures as well like starter, electronics repair, stereo and dash removal.
The ECM,TCM reloads to stock configuration after battery service or disconnect. The tuner should have a backup file of your tune for reload if they offer this service, It is worth investigation to anyone purchasing a custom tune.

Yall, can bet I wear a cammo cap once in awhile while cranking Hank way up loud and the putter in the back does more than golf if inquiring minds want to know. LOL,
I have a red neck but its from the top down. No slang in my vocab at all born in the new England states area and stream Kenny G when the time is right.

Cheers, Gator
Old 10-13-2014, 12:01 PM

2002 CLK 430
mercamerica, where did you end up going for service? Per a handful of my recent posts, I've been having a burning smell coming from near the passenger side firewall - my only thought is a loose PS connection, maybe (especially as sometimes recently I have a low 'squeel'/rub sound (fluid in sound, not mechnical if that makes any sense) when turning the wheel).

I'm in Chicago and have had a few places give me their 2 cents and all were shoulder shrugs and "change your air intake filter...leaves trapped inside?"

waveterrorist, you've had good experiences at Midwest Performance? How are the prices/service? I'm in Chicago and usually go to a shop a couple blocks down but have been less satisfied as of late.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:10 AM

'06 CLK55 AMG Cabriolet
I ended up going to Mercedes of Westmont
Old 12-08-2014, 05:02 PM

2002 CLK 430
Hope all turned out well, mercamerica. Just wanted to follow up for any other Chicago MB owners:

I ended up taking my car to Midwest Performance for some rear suspension work. They found a few small items to do as well. However, their ~3-4 day max job estimate is now going on 2 weeks. It has nothing to do with the job itself, rather it has been a clusterfu*k of excuses about getting parts in, oops part wasn't right, we'll get another one, shop was closed, we'll try again Monday - type excuses.

Their reviews say the work they do is top notch - so fingers crossed. The bill so far that they've shown me is (obviously) less than the dealer, but somewhat sizable above many other indie's work out there. Again, we'll see when I pick up the car in another 4 days...but as of now, I'm far from impressed with Midwest Performance Cars at 1385 W Lake St, Chicago, IL.

I know my dissatisfaction isn't yet based on their work, but how you run the front of the house is equally as important as how you run the back.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:54 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Firemist O5 CLK55 Cab Silver 05 CLK55 Coupe Tanzanite 06 CLK500 Coupe
New Owner

I have not gone back to Midwest although if Jonathan is still there I'm sure the work will be first rate.

They recently pissed me off when I called to ask about doing my valve cover gaskets.

No quotes over the phone without re-seeing the car.

Like that's gonna happen.....
Old 12-10-2014, 09:50 AM

2002 CLK 430
Thanks waveterrorist - I appreciate the heads up about Jonathan as he has been the one handling my car's work. Finger's crossed my experience is similarly good.

But funny you mention the lack of quotes...about 6 months ago I called around to various shops for quotes on re-doing my suspension (front and rear shocks and coils). Midwest Performance wouldn't do a quote over the phone just like you experienced. Now as luck would have it, I took my car in to MPC for work which I suspected was rear-suspension related (out of convenience really with the cold weather, upcoming holidays and a busy work schedule - no better time/reason to try a new/well-reviewed shop: turns out rear coil needs replacing - not severe, but necessary nonetheless). Funny, they were able to spec the parts and prices immediately and were intimately knowledgeable with the W208 - as opposed to the "we need to see it first" reason I had been given over the phone.

I guess lesson learned. I seem to find most indie prices are 1/3 to 1/2 of what a dealer costs (sometimes less even, depending on what you're needing done). MPC seems to be 20-30% higher than those indie shop prices. I'll follow up if there are any surprises good/bad bill or service wise after I pick up my car. But again, their turn around time in my experience has been terrible.

If you have any 2 cents about other shops in the Chicago area outside of a dealership, I'd love to know!
Old 12-10-2014, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The W208 was still under warranty when I changed Fields. The best following of Mercedes enthusiast were 123, 124,126. Volvo and BMW all believed in indy repair shops.
I interned for VW and almost retired @ Pompano Phorche/Audi.
The Mercedes is the most refined and well thought out engineered car I have grown to enjoy.
All will have their own opinion but for the amount of maintenance over the life of the vehicle is much less than the breakdown repair cost of others.
The Indy shops are aware of this as well and the Mercedes are always welcome. Just stay away from tire shops.

Gator