CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

2000 BMW M5 vs. 2001 CLK55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK55 AMG
2000 BMW M5 vs. 2001 CLK55

I bought an 01 CLK55 about a month ago. After driving it 2,000 miles now I have some views on the car vs. a 2000 BMW M5 I owned up until 2 years ago. I thought I would share this with you folks and get your perspective.

Now I am a performance car fanatic, having owned 23 cars in my adult life, including 4 Mercedes, 4 BMW's, a Ferrari, and a couple Jaguars. When I had my M5, I also owned a 2000 CLK430. After having owned 2 BMW M3's I loved the M5, but it was . . . well . . . ugly. The ergonomics were not very good, no true hands free phone, and the navigation system got me lost all the time. But power and suspension-wise, I had never seen anything remotely like it.

The CLK 430 was probably the most beautiful car I had ever owned (ok maybe my '64 E-type Jag really was) and the ergonomics were perfect and the navigation and hands free phone worked like a charm and became addicting, the true user friendly king. So I often wished the CLK430 had the power and suspension of my M5 or the M5 the looks and ergos of the CLK430.

I ended up selling both cars. Recently, I bought what I fealt was a marriage between my M5 and CLK430, an 01 CLK55. Now, I can't compare them side by side, but I can compare from memory. I am not a pro car driver, but I have taken a few performance driving courses and can heel to toe shift pretty good. I do have a handful of motorcycle racing championships under my belt, however, so I am no stranger to speed (0-60 in under 3 secs on my racing Yamaha R6) and heavy use of the brakes (read knee draggin fun).

I always figured two things would make a CLK55 outperform an M5 in the straight: 1) lighter weight and 2) shift vs manual. The lighter weight I figured would make the car quicker despite the 50 or so horsepower disadvantage. In terms of manual vs. auto, I have always felt that stats on manual cars are taken from professional drivers who can heel to toe shift and your average Joe driver would be up to .5 secs off any magazine stat. Consequently, I figured that the CLK55 would outperfom an M5 or M3 with in cases where an average Joe driver was behind the wheel of both cars. When I had my M5, the best M5 0-60 stat I saw was 4.7 and the best I saw for a CLK55 was 4.9 (R&T had it at 5.3 at 1,000 ft altitude). I figured the CLK55 would out accelerate an M5 absent a professional driver. So for the average driver, an automatic transmission is best for relative performance vs. manual shift cars.

Handling wise I also figured the CLK55's ligther weight and narrower track stance would make it quicker. So now that I own a CLK55 I can get some idea if I was right.

I don't think I was quite right. I find that I get constant wheel spin off the line on the CLK55. It is just too much torque for those small wheels. The M5 had wider wheels. I also now think the lighter weight hurts off line traction on the CLK55. The M5 was heavy and wide and never gave me any wheel spin problems. Another advantage of the M5 is its suspension. I have always said that the best thing about an M5 is its suspension, not its engine. Never have I driven a car with such remarkable, confidence inspiring suspension. I recall feeling the same level of comfort at 140 mph on my M5 as I do at 100 on the CLK55.

I also think the M5 was easier to drive. Now I admit to being able to heel to toe shift and have noticed that average M5 drivers have trouble with the quick catch of the clutch and tight shifting and often have shifting problems. Handling on the M5 was more confidence insipiring. The suspension on the CLK55 is great, but the suspension on the M5 was much better. The brakes are about equal on both cars.

So my take is that the M5 performes better than the CLK55 overall if I am driving both cars. However, which car do I like better? I like the CLK55 better. Quite frankly the wheel spin is kind of fun. I don't think the performance difference is enough to make me afraid to race an M5 either. In terms of looks and ergos and fit and all that, the CLK55 is the hands down winner and a true marriage between my CLK430 and M5. It is a gorgeous car with BMW like performance. I am very happy with my CLK55 so far.

I won't compare it to my M3's because the M5 was so much better than the M3's, it was the standard to measure the CLK55 by. Now if I could only figure out how to install Command in my CLK55. Glad to join all you CLK55 owners outhere. This is one fine car.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:30 PM

'11 S550 4Matic, '12 SL63 AMG, '13 ML350, '16 AMG GT-S Ed. 1,'03 Ford F-250
Thank you for the insight!

raptorduck,

That was good insight and valuable for those of us looking into the clk55. I have located an '01 with less than 20,000 miles but have yet to pull the trigger on it. Still reading reviews like yours...but I am very anxious to get this one home!

Thanks again!
Old 03-09-2004, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

marta
Nice review.

I do have a handful of motorcycle racing championships under my belt,
Wow, that's awesome.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

marta
Nice review.

I do have a handful of motorcycle racing championships under my belt,
Wow, that's awesome.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:39 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 CLK55 AMG
Hi Brian and Raptorduck,
Like you Raptorduck, I recently (2 months ago) purchased an '01 CLK55 with 6400 miles. I looked for my "dream car" for a couple of years. That is, a dream car that didn't break the bank. I looked at and drove the M3, ZO6, R Type Jag, 996 and so on. I hadn't driven the 55 until two months ago. I like the fact that you don't see them everday. Furthermore, I love the fact that only real car enthusiasts know what the CLK55 is and what it can do. I had only seen a couple on the road and had read all the information available online. I found my car online and I can honestly say that I was going to go and casually look at it but not purchase the vehicle. I went and looked at the car with my fiance on a Saturday morning. I was pretty much blown away. I felt like the car was designed for me. I didn't even test drive the car. I started to talk with the salesman on the floor. He stated in a round about way that I couldn't afford the vehicle because I wanted to negotiate the price and made a reference to my age (28 at the time). I walked out on him as he was talking. However, I could not stop thinking about the car. I went back the next weekend and found a different salesmen. He said that you must drive this car. The second I started the car I was sold. Two months later..... I know I made the right decision. The car is a beast but most importantly the car is classy. Period. I wanted something that was extremely powerful, fun to drive and classy. Performance was the number one requirement but not the only. The ZO6 I drove was violently fast but it certainly wasn't what I'd consider a classy car and quite honestly I thought the interior was a joke for a car that costs about 50K. The CLK55 is, in my opinion, the perfect blend of luxo/sport/touring car. Sorry for my ranting but I get excited just talking about the car. Brian, I promise you that you will not be disapointed if you purchase the CLK55 that you are looking at. I also prefer the 208 body style to the 209 but that is up to your taste. Raptorduck, I agree that the M5 is also a fantastic car but I'll keep my CLK55, thank you very much. Also, do you still have the major tire spin problem once the tires have had adequate time to warm up? I notice a dramatic difference. Also, I have read that a new set of 265's on the back end will for the most part take care of that problem. I hope to hear from you guys soon.
Take care and regards,
Steve
Old 03-09-2004, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Welcome new CLK55 owners. Glad to have you both on board

Brian, c'mon.....your turn
Old 03-09-2004, 04:58 PM
LOH

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to this very interesting board. You may have started a fire with the AMG vs. M-car thing but don't let it deter you from the board. There are a lot of great people on this board that can provide invaluable information about your car. I also love and appreciate BMW M-cars but I couldn't be happier with my CLK55. I agree 100% with monoblockz opinion.

As far as the COMAND retrofit, many people on this board including me have done it despite warnings of impossibility from the dealer. Contact Steve from the Netherlands if he's still around. He'll either fly out to install it or send you the unit and all parts necessary to do it yourself. He installed it in my CLK430 about a year ago and I installed it in my CLK55 about 6 months ago. It's not nearly as intimidating as you would think. Enjoy your car.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:48 PM

2001 CLK55 AMG
Thanks all. I did not mean to start a M car vs. AMG flame thread. I have owned 3 M cars and now an AMG and I am telling you all I like the AMG better. I do admit to being one of those people that loves both BMW and Mercedes Benz cars, but each has its pros and cons and some model years apeal to me more than others.

I agree that the CLK55 is a classy looking car. I also agree that it is more desirable because you see fewer of them on the road. My CLK430 was also the JD Powers value retention champion a few years back. My CLK 55 looks exactly like my CLK430 did (color and all) and that car got lots of comments from folks, more than any of my M cars. Only perhaps my Jags, Hummer, and Ferrari got more comments (the Hummer got the most).

I also owned an XKR coupe. I had it for a very short while as I seized on an arbitrage opportunity and sold it to a guy who was willing to pay a premium to get it (I am one of those people who does not mind waiting 3 years on a list to get a car at MSRP). It was a rare car with the Silverstone edition wheel set up, although it was black metallic. The car was a beauty, but compared to the CLK55 was a little more seprated from the road, more lazy like, more claustrophobic, no rear leg room for adults, and the navigation was not as good as the command, although better than BMW's.

As to wheel spin, I just put on a new set of Michelin Pilot Sports and once broken in, will see if things improve (I also decided to put chrome AMG rims just like I had on the CLK430 so now have OEM AMG monoblocks for sale). Thanks for the info on command.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:01 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 CLK55 AMG
Can anyone enlighten me on the command system? I am also going to go with chrome for my wheels but I think I am going to exchange the stock monoblocks for a set of chrome monoblocks. Did you go bigger than 245 on the rear tires?
Old 03-09-2004, 06:14 PM

2001 CLK55 AMG
I did not go bigger on the tires. Perhaps I should have.

The Command I had on my CLK430 was intergrated with a Motorola digital startac phone and the CD change. It was completely hands free and voice activated. You get regional maps from Mercedes every year. I always read that it is not user friendly, but I dissagree. I never had a problem using it and just loved it. It was better than the GPS systems on both my M5 and XKR in many respects: maps, verbal cues, programming, features, voice quality, recognition, accuracy of navigation, signal consistency etc.

Incidentally, the reason I bought the CLK55 is that I had to flip a purchase of an SL55. I had gotten myself on the waiting list years ago, and while I had the money to buy it back then, I could not justify the purchase today. So I bought it and immediately sold it at a nice profit without ever driving it. Wish I could have afforded to keep it, but not in this market.

So I decided to get the CLK55. I opted for a used one, because (in addition to the frugal thing), quite frankly, I don't like the new body style for the CLK. I prefer the old style much more, although the interior of the new style is quite nice.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Man O Man.....this thread is really bringing back all my fond W208 memories. Sometimes I really miss that car. For a very long time I wanted a W208 CLK55, since I loved my CLK430, I figured the CLK55 would be even better....and I'm sure it is! Unfortunately I never got to try a W208 CLK55 out. I test drove a W209 CLK55 and really liked the power, but alas, I think somedays I would have been better off sticking to my roots. Even now I wonder what the W208 CLK55 is like. Is it like my old CLK430??
Now don't get me wrong, I'm not sorry I bought the W209 CLK55, but I will always wonder what it would've been like to get the W208. One day I'll test drive one!
Old 03-09-2004, 06:31 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 CLK55 AMG
Raptor- I agree with you about the old body style and also agree that the new interior is spectacular. Thanks for the feedback on the Command system. I have the integrated phone set up (less the phone) and the CD changer. I am going to get the phone and look forward to the hands free features. What is the cost on the retrofit navigation screen?
Old 03-09-2004, 08:02 PM

2001 CLK55 AMG
Stiggs: Since I had the 208 CLK430 model and now have the 208 CLK55 (both black with chrome wheels, I even have the same personalized license plate on my CLK55 that I had on the 430) I can tell you the difference. With the 430 I use to complain about the suspension, too rough and too much body roll and steering too lose compared to a BMW. Power was good (I think the 430 did 0-60 in 6.1), but the CLK55 power is more M5 like. It has a nice growl engine note as well. I must say, the suspension upgrades on the 55 is what I like best, and the power improvement aint so bad either. Other than that, it is the exact same car, literally. Heck, I just loved the 430 anyway, so the 55 has the few things I wish the 430 did. Then again my 430 had more toys in it, but I am trying to address that issue.

I tend to agree with those who say that the difference between the 430 and 55 (and probably the new 500 and 55) are not worth the price, but if you look at my car buying history, price and practicality have never been part of the equation (my XKR cost me $113k, definatly not worth that premium over a CLK55). Had the 55 been available in 00 when I bought my 430, I would have gotten a 55 to begin with and may never have gotten the M5 that year off the waiting list and probably would have fliped that one to.

Monoblockz. I am now in the hunt for command so will be suffering through the challenges right with you.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Welcome aboard! I have a suggestion for the traction issue:

I had the same problem: the torque of this motor is simply too much for the 245's to handle. The car is much quicker from a roll than its traction-limited test times would have you believe; I suspect you'll be pleasantly surprised when you do some roll-ons. I have fared very well indeed against the M cars.

But anyway, back to the off the line stuff: you will definitely see a big improvement by switching to some fatter rubber. My solution was to stick a set of the W210 E55 18" rims on the back, along with a set of 265/35-18's (I left the 17's on the front, a'la Corvette, to avoid taking too much of a hit in ride quality). This will give you a much-needed increase in traction.

Also, one technique to help with fast launches is to hold rpms at about 900 rpm or so with your right foot, the brake with your left; then, let off the brake abruptly, but rather than immediately stomping the throttle, wait until you start moving & feel the weight transfer rearward, then "squeeze" it rapidly to the floor (this all is done quickly, but is less abrupt than stomping it)....the additional traction from the weight transfer will allow you to get moving pretty quickly, hopefully without too much spin.

I practiced this a bit the other night, and pulled my best GTECH 0-60 time so far: 4.77 seconds. But the 265's made this possible: before I switched, I couldn't get below 5.1, mainly because hard (or medium, for that matter) launches were simply impossible.

Originally posted by raptorduck
As to wheel spin, I just put on a new set of Michelin Pilot Sports and once broken in, will see if things improve (I also decided to put chrome AMG rims just like I had on the CLK430 so now have OEM AMG monoblocks for sale). Thanks for the info on command.
Old 03-14-2004, 04:48 AM

W208 55 & R170 230
I have a set of pliot sport 265 in the back... trust me.,., the torque is so much that I can get burn out with it when I floor it from a stop light.... I wounder if 275 fits in there....
Old 03-14-2004, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Sure...I wasn't trying to say that they eliminate it entirely...

...only that they're *much* better than the 245's. But traction is a huge issue in this car, and even the 265's don't hook up very well if ambient temperature is in the 50's or below.

Brings up one of my biggest pet peeves: no limited-slip? In a $70,000 car, with almost 400 lb-ft of torque??? ****, $30K Z28's and Trans Ams had limited-slips as standard equipment! Pretty pathetic, Mercedes.

Still, the wider tires, and the technique I mention above, *definitely* helped, and the proof is in the lowered 0-60 times I got.

Originally posted by mtimmy
I have a set of pliot sport 265 in the back... trust me.,., the torque is so much that I can get burn out with it when I floor it from a stop light.... I wounder if 275 fits in there....
Old 03-15-2004, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
i LOVED the comments here and thx to all for contributing. my only question is why is the M5 being compared to the CLK55 vs. the E55? doesn't it make more sense to compare the 2 four-doors? just curious if anyone else has done the comparisons vs. what i've read in the auto mags.

thx.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
I think it is because the guy who started the post had an M5...

....and now has a CLK55, so he was comparing them.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:06 PM

MB & BMW
I wanna put 19's on my clk55 but what do you think are the best tire sizes.. for handling and not too $$
Old 04-07-2004, 03:21 PM

W208 55 & R170 230
235 front and 265 rear
Old 04-08-2004, 12:55 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK55 AMG Cabriolet
I had the same experience at the Mercedes dealership. I went there originally to look at used S500's (can't stomach first two years of depreciation) and the salesperson kind of implied that I was wasting his time. I went back a couple of weeks later and the same salesperson saw me and did not recognize me and asked if he could help and I told him no and walked past him and found another salesperson. That was when I saw the CLK55 cabriolet. I fell in love with no intentions on buying a smaller two door convertible but the sales guy saw the glint in my eye, got the keys, and when he fired up the engine, the growl sang to me. I ended up buying a more expensive car than the S500's I was looking at and as I was working the deal, the first salesman that thought I was wasting his time finally recognized me and realized that he lost on a big sales opportunity. The scene reminded me of Pretty Woman

Originally posted by monoblockz
Hi Brian and Raptorduck,
Like you Raptorduck, I recently (2 months ago) purchased an '01 CLK55 with 6400 miles. I looked for my "dream car" for a couple of years. That is, a dream car that didn't break the bank. I looked at and drove the M3, ZO6, R Type Jag, 996 and so on. I hadn't driven the 55 until two months ago. I like the fact that you don't see them everday. Furthermore, I love the fact that only real car enthusiasts know what the CLK55 is and what it can do. I had only seen a couple on the road and had read all the information available online. I found my car online and I can honestly say that I was going to go and casually look at it but not purchase the vehicle. I went and looked at the car with my fiance on a Saturday morning. I was pretty much blown away. I felt like the car was designed for me. I didn't even test drive the car. I started to talk with the salesman on the floor. He stated in a round about way that I couldn't afford the vehicle because I wanted to negotiate the price and made a reference to my age (28 at the time). I walked out on him as he was talking. However, I could not stop thinking about the car. I went back the next weekend and found a different salesmen. He said that you must drive this car. The second I started the car I was sold. Two months later..... I know I made the right decision. The car is a beast but most importantly the car is classy. Period. I wanted something that was extremely powerful, fun to drive and classy. Performance was the number one requirement but not the only. The ZO6 I drove was violently fast but it certainly wasn't what I'd consider a classy car and quite honestly I thought the interior was a joke for a car that costs about 50K. The CLK55 is, in my opinion, the perfect blend of luxo/sport/touring car. Sorry for my ranting but I get excited just talking about the car. Brian, I promise you that you will not be disapointed if you purchase the CLK55 that you are looking at. I also prefer the 208 body style to the 209 but that is up to your taste. Raptorduck, I agree that the M5 is also a fantastic car but I'll keep my CLK55, thank you very much. Also, do you still have the major tire spin problem once the tires have had adequate time to warm up? I notice a dramatic difference. Also, I have read that a new set of 265's on the back end will for the most part take care of that problem. I hope to hear from you guys soon.
Take care and regards,
Steve