CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Is 04 CLK55 faster then M3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG
I'll do some digging tonight...I'm certain I read this somewhere.

I archive my car mags, so I should be able to find it...I'm thinking it might have been in Car & Driver's first article on the engine, but I'm not certain...anyway, I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that both it and the M5 engine are hand built. I'll double check and post my findings this evening.

Originally posted by Thai
I don't think the M3 engine is hand-made. If it is, then that's a lot of engine made by hand!! I have NEVER heard that the M3's engine is handmade...but, i could be wrong. BMW does not advertise it either (if it is handmade, then you would think BMW would make a big deal, as AMG does)...so i doubt it.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 CLK55
Lightbulb E46 M3 S54 engines are indeed hand-made by the Motorsports division...

Much in the same way as AMG hand assembles their motors. As far as the CLK55 rear tires size isue, I think it's worth pointing out that the Euro, Asian, and Australian markets all have 255's mounted on 18" wheels, which begs this question. Being that the North American market CLK55 wheels are unique to that car and that car alone, why did they bother? I have to think that it would have been cheaper to utilize the same wheels as the rest of the world market. They had to pay the wheel manufacturer (Enkei, I believe...) for the costs of manufacturing a different wheel (Tooling, dies, R&D etc...)! Wouldn't it have been cheaper to save all of those production costs by using the world market 18" wheels? My only guess is that maybe the NA market gets 17's in order to fit slightly higher sidewalls to improve ride quality, and possibly to lower overall gearing. It's a shame, because I think the CLK55's wheels are a real let down. They look waaayyy too small in my opinion. If I didn't know better, I would have guessed that they were 16's, and possibly even 15's. While I believe 19's will probably look the best, I'm going to fit 18's on mine. Just my two cents...

Best regards,
Matt
Old 04-13-2004, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Re: E46 M3 S54 engines are indeed hand-made by the Motorsports division...

Originally posted by AMG///Merc
As far as the CLK55 rear tires size isue, I think it's worth pointing out that the Euro, Asian, and Australian markets all have 255's mounted on 18" wheels, which begs this question. Being that the North American market CLK55 wheels are unique to that car and that car alone, why did they bother?
The W208 CLK55s all received 17 in wheels.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Re: I'll do some digging tonight...I'm certain I read this somewhere.

Originally posted by Improviz
I archive my car mags, so I should be able to find it...
Ditto. But I stopped taking most of them (except Autoweek) a few years ago. Archiving is a PITA as one year = 52 issues!
Old 04-13-2004, 06:23 PM

03 CLK55
That may be...

Originally posted by Chappy
The W208 CLK55s all received 17 in wheels.

But that's not the case with the 209. If you look at the other MB websites, or just the world-site, you'll see that the 209's have 18's, with the exceptions of ours, naturally...

It amazes me when I read that all of the car manufacturers talk about how the US market is so important, and how we're the biggest market, and yet we continually get sub-standard cars, i.e., CLK55 wheels and E46 M3 brake rotors. What's the deal with that?

Best regards,
Matt
Old 04-13-2004, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 E55 AMG
I remember looking at a brand new W209 at the Mercedes website and I though there was something wrong with the wheels!
Old 04-13-2004, 07:27 PM

2004 Mercedes G500 Black
I really doubt that the M3 engine is handmade. But, hey, if it is, then WOOHOOO!! I have heard that each M3 engine costs about $15-20K. Is that a lot?? How much are the AMG 5.5L V8 (NA) engines cost??

I think that AMG//Merc may have a point...US roads are not as smooth as European roads. It is quite common to see US cars having higher profile tires because of our crappy roads. I guess AMG/MB favor a good ride over pure handling...BMW M is the opposite...and trust me, my kidneys are the first ones to tell you that!
Old 04-13-2004, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
According to Motor Trend, it's hand built....

...this is in the August 2001 issue. They make two references to its being handbuilt. In the other articles I found in other publications, there isn't any mention of this, though, including the Car & Driver sidebar which was devoted exclusively to the engine, so MT might well be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time!
Old 04-14-2004, 04:06 AM

03 CLK55
Thumbs up The S54 engine is definitely hand made...

Originally posted by Thai
I really doubt that the M3 engine is handmade. But, hey, if it is, then WOOHOOO!! I have heard that each M3 engine costs about $15-20K. Is that a lot?? How much are the AMG 5.5L V8 (NA) engines cost??

I think that AMG//Merc may have a point...US roads are not as smooth as European roads. It is quite common to see US cars having higher profile tires because of our crappy roads. I guess AMG/MB favor a good ride over pure handling...BMW M is the opposite...and trust me, my kidneys are the first ones to tell you that!
And by 'hand made", that means that the crankshaft, pistons, rods, and cams are installed by hand. I'm not sure about the rest of the valvetrain, or what else is hand assembled. If you do a search over at the M3forum, you'll see allot of posts and some links that will verify that. speaking of the M3 board, I'm "MattsMthree" over there. I just realized today that you're the same "Thai" today...

Best regards,
Matt
Old 04-14-2004, 07:54 AM

2004 Mercedes G500 Black
Yup, i use the same name all across the different forums.